2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

Rocko604 wrote:And just my $0.02, I'd love to see the CFL move to having a double header FNF and Saturday nights in the summer and then Saturday afternoons in the fall. Unfortunately, TSN will continue having them play 7 days a week I'm sure. That's the one thing I do not like about the CFL is that you never know when you're going to be playing.
thats pretty well the schedule now in the fall
odd wrinkles: MTL must play sundays in fall due to their lease with the university and holiday games which draw good ratings.

Summer is different. TSN wants the thursday game to draw younger audience that are busy on friday/saturday nights. Winnipeg and MTL want thursday summer home games.
David
Team Captain

Every time I look at CFL ratings for the week, games involving the Lions appear to be the most viewed or 2nd among the 4 games televised. Yet oddly, the Leos are not even in the top 3 in terms of average audience. Here is how it breaks down (on TSN and RDS combined), according to the Winnipeg Sun's Kirk Penton.

* Eskimos have attracted an average audience of 649,000 viewers (up 8.7% over last season)
* Roughriders are second with 627,000 (down 6.8% over last season)
* Bombers are third with an average of 615,000 viewers through 16 games (a 5.4% increase over 2015)

What would be more interesting is learning each club's numbers in their local markets. For example, the Lions are a disadvantage for national audience numbers off the bat due to the fact their games start at 10:00pm EST. They also don't have the big rivalry games (i.e. Labour Day) to drive 'event' viewing.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rocko604 wrote:And just my $0.02, I'd love to see the CFL move to having a double header FNF and Saturday nights in the summer and then Saturday afternoons in the fall. Unfortunately, TSN will continue having them play 7 days a week I'm sure. That's the one thing I do not like about the CFL is that you never know when you're going to be playing.
It's really not that bad. TSN likes the Thursday Night Football during the summer. Unless ratings tumble that's not changing. For several years things totally out of TSN's and the CFL's control have caused games on odd week nights. If TSN had their druthers all regular season games other than the Labour Day Classics, Thanksgiving Monday and perhaps Canada Day would be played Thursday, Friday or Saturday. As it was in 2016 over 80% of the games were scheduled for Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

This year:
MON - 5 games with 4 being on Labour Day and Thanksgiving Monday. The non-stat game was at BMO.
TUE - 0 games
WED - 3 games. 2 of 3 were at BMO.
THU - 13 games
FRI - 26 games
SAT - 27 games
SUN - 7 games
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rocko604
Rookie

If Thursday works for certain markets, then great. BC Place is a ghost town on Thursdays (though Friday/Saturday haven't exactly been all that better).

I guess it's really hard to say which nights work best when Braley/Skulsky don't have a marketing plan.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
It's really not that bad. TSN likes the Thursday Night Football during the summer. Unless ratings tumble that's not changing. For several years things totally out of TSN's and the CFL's control have caused games on odd week nights. If TSN had their druthers all regular season games other than the Labour Day Classics, Thanksgiving Monday and perhaps Canada Day would be played Thursday, Friday or Saturday. As it was in 2016 over 80% of the games were scheduled for Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

This year:
MON - 5 games with 4 being on Labour Day and Thanksgiving Monday. The non-stat game was at BMO.
TUE - 0 games
WED - 3 games. 2 of 3 were at BMO.
THU - 13 games
FRI - 26 games
SAT - 27 games
SUN - 7 games
one wednesday will always be required because of the 9 teams, one team must do the wed/sun double game week
Rocko604
Rookie

Qman wrote: one wednesday will always be required because of the 9 teams, one team must do the wed/sun double game week
Ah. I simply assumed the Wednesday game was the result of TFC telling the Argos to get stuffed, and that was the only night they could play. But looking at the schedule, I see it's required.

If it's once a year,no big a deal. If possible though, have it in a stadium where it's not going to be a graveyard. Ottawa, Saskatchewan etc.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:one wednesday will always be required because of the 9 teams, one team must do the wed/sun double game week
Thanks. I forgot about that one little aspect. Somewhere along the way they must play 5 games in one week.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Clock is officially on the Lions ticket department to sell the Western Semi Final. Very good chance they are hosting now and leaving it to 1 week is hardly anytime. Need more than 20,000 which is no given.
CardiacKid
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Clock is officially on the Lions ticket department to sell the Western Semi Final. Very good chance they are hosting now and leaving it to 1 week is hardly anytime. Need more than 20,000 which is no given.
And I see the ranks of the Leo's ticket department has shrunk yet again with Corey Manlove no longer listed on the Leo's website.
aklawitter
All Star

if there ever was a time to have another Guaranteed Win Night, this is it
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

Not sure if some tickets haven't been released yet, but it looks like a lot of tickets have been sold for the 5th.
David
Team Captain

I'll be shocked if there isn't 25K in attendance this Saturday. Really, 26,000+ isn't completely out of the question.

It's the following week I am a bit more concerned with, should we host. It's a short time in which to both hype and sell tix for this game, and playing home games in successive weeks (11/5 in this case) has always had a negative impact on the 2nd gate. The club has to a) treat it as the one-off "event" that it is b) market the hell out of it and c) don't price gouge.

Unfortunately, none of the above is a given with this regime. :sigh:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Playoff ticket prices are set, ranging from $38 to $159. It has probably hurt the club that the home playoff game has not been locked up. I haven't even ordered my three regular seats for the playoffs, although I have an invoice from the club for $38 per seat. The same end-zone seats are priced at $47 for the public. I will likely buy more tickets once I find out how many friends and family members want to go with me but the price is already higher than I would normally pay for playoff tickets.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I'll be shocked if there isn't 25K in attendance next Saturday. Really, 26,000+ isn't completely out of the question.

It's the following week I am a bit more concerned with, should we host. It's a short time in which to both hype and sell tix for this game, and playing home games in successive weeks (11/5 in this case) has always had a negative impact on the 2nd gate. The club has to a) treat it as the one-off "event" that it is b) market the hell out of it and c) don't price gouge.

Unfortunately, none of the above is a given with this regime. :sigh:

To add to that it will be the 5th home game in 7 weeks. Mercifully the Whitecaps have been put out of their misery so no competition there. After a totally unexpected fast start the Canucks' early season luster is quickly fading. However they will be dropping the puck next door at Rogers Arena at 1:00 on the 13th for a rare Sunday matinee game versus Dallas. Kickoff for the WSF is set to happen at around the end of the 2nd period of that Canuck tilt.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

chwk_lionsfan wrote:Not sure if some tickets haven't been released yet, but it looks like a lot of tickets have been sold for the 5th.
Probably not unexpected. It is after all the Riders who are making their only appearance of the season. As badly as their season has gone it is the only opportunity to see the Riders for those displaced stubble-jumpers who now call southwest BC home.