What are your thoughts on the O-line heading into 2016?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

With Valli's retirement, we have 10 players listed on the roster and 5 starter positions to fill.

Allison, Campbell
Draheim, Tommie
Fabien, Kirby
Foster, Jason
Husband, Cody
Norman, Matthew
Olafioye, Jovan
Player, T-Dre
Steward, Hunter
Thorn, Cameron

* I would say the only lock is Jovan anchoring the RT position.

* Hunter Steward will start too, but is it at LT or LG?

* Kirby and Cody to fill out the guard positions next season?

* Do we start 3 imports again in 2016? My gut tells me 'doubtful.' We were a good line last year, but not a great one. When you're starting 3 imports, you'd better be great.

* The center position is crucial. Is Cam Thorne ready to take a run a starting? I love what Jason Foster brings - leadership, accountability, stability. And he's versatile. Again though, I'm just not sure if his play warranted burning a critical import spot at a position virtually every other team starts a National.

* At times last season, I thought Tommie Draheim was our best O-lineman. I would most definitely bring him back.

* Do we go after someone in free agency? Maybe 26-year old Corey Watman will follow his O-line coach (Dorazio) to BC?

* I don't see Matt Norman back here next year. Not sure why, but his development was stymied.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A lot will depend on Wally's preferred ratio (I'm betting on no more than two internationals on the O-line) and on Dorazio's preferences of the players he has coached previously. Barring a solid draft pick or free-agent signing, here is how I would project the lineup:

LT: Draheim (I)
LG: Steward (N)
C: Thorn (N)
RG: Fabien (N)
RT: Olafioye (I)

Backups:
Player (N)
Husband (N)
Foster (I) on 46-man roster but inactive

By all accounts, Foster was one of the best centres in the league last year but I don't see the Lions starting an international at that position. He is valuable enough to keep on the 46-man roster as a backup C and LT.

We really haven't seen enough of Thorn to know whether he can handle the centre position but the job could be his to lose. Norman and Steward are both coming off injuries. They still have to prove themselves. Either one of them could start if fully healthy. I also like Player but he fell out of favour with the previous coaching staff.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:By all accounts, Foster was one of the best centres in the league last year but I don't see the Lions starting an international at that position. He is valuable enough to keep on the 46-man roster as a backup C and LT. We really haven't seen enough of Thorn to know whether he can handle the centre position.

Norman and Steward are both coming off injuries. They still have to prove themselves. Either one of them could start if fully healthy.
I do agree on the ratio content. With Fabien re-upped and Steward healthy I think we'll be back to 3 NAT OL.

I'm not sure if Norman's in BC's plans. He sat on the IR all last season yet I don't ever recall any indication what his injury was to the point I was never sure if he was actually hurt or just being stashed. He'll be a FA in 10 days. I won't be surprised to see him sign closer to home where he can perhaps play football while utilizing that teaching certificate. Not sure but he could well be working as a teacher back there in the offseason.

Steward is somewhat of a wildcard. He was so good at LT as a rookie. Really hope his foot injuries are behind him as I'd like to see him return to take over at LT........with apologies to Draheim.

As for Foster if he was playing as one of the best centres in the league I don't want to mess with that. I think centre may be the most under-rated position in terms of importance on either side of the ball. Centre is basically the QB of the OL responsible for reading defenses and communicating blocking assignments. Centre and tackle on the QB's blind side are definitely the most important OL positions. In BC we've been fortunate over the years with stability and longevity at centre going back to Al Wilson as a rookie in 1972. I'd like to see us nail down that next 10+ year centre.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I sat with Cody and Hunter one game last year. They were injured and rehabilitating. Let's just say when they got up to prowl the concourse my view of the game was over for a few seconds. Two gentleman though through and through. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:By all accounts, Foster was one of the best centres in the league last year....
Of course, I trust you and your sources implicitly B.C.FAN, but I am just curious. Where did you hear that Foster was one of the best centres in the league? I've only heard him say that the quality of play in the CFL surprised him and that he didn't take the league that seriously at first (paraphrasing). I recall the Lions' season opener in Ottawa when he was kind of schooled. Of course, he settled in afterward, and I thought he played well for the most part. But I didn't see evidence that he was among the league's best. Stand up guy though, for sure. Seems like an awesome teammate.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

i don't know how much interest wally will have with bourke or watman. bidding is going to get out of control.
Definitely brent jones would fit perfectly if he ever came back - he would probably be the first 300k centre

i think we will have 3 INT oline again.

Wally should focus on the Dline in FA, not oline. Ted Laurent is purrfect fit for us. Plus we have CND depth as well for rotation or injuries. Definitely a true NT disrupter and edge rusher are #2 and #1 must finds this offseason. rebuilding the secondary is #3 and #4. New tailback is #5. Then its OL depth.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:By all accounts, Foster was one of the best centres in the league last year....
Of course, I trust you and your sources implicitly B.C.FAN, but I am just curious. Where did you hear that Foster was one of the best centres in the league? I've only heard him say that the quality of play in the CFL surprised him and that he didn't take the league that seriously at first (paraphrasing). I recall the Lions' season opener in Ottawa when he was kind of schooled. Of course, he settled in afterward, and I thought he played well for the most part. But I didn't see evidence that he was among the league's best. Stand up guy though, for sure. Seems like an awesome teammate.

Foster was selected to the unofficial midseason CFL all-star team by a panel of seven cfl.ca writers.
Link

Foster was also among Justin Dunk's top 10 rookies for the first half of the season.
BC’s starting centre has been a steadying presence in the middle of the Lions offensive line. He’s made the calls for a group that’s given up a CFL-low 12 sacks and paved the way for the league’s top rusher in Andrew Harris.
Link

I think his second half was probably better than his first half. Arash Madani tweeted on Nov. 5 that his sources considered Foster and Ottawa's John Gott as the top centres in the league.
Arash Madani
‏@ArashMadani
Most #CFL people I've hit up on all-stars believe OL Jason Foster (BC) and Jon Gott (Ottawa) were the best centres in the league this season
Calgary's Pierre Lavertu was named to the divisional all-star team ahead of Foster. No knock on Lavertu, but I think there's a built-in bias toward nationals in the selection process. Another factor could be that eight other members of the Lions were named to the all-star team, the same number as the Stampeders. Selecting Foster ahead of Lavertu would have given the 7-11 Lions more divisional all-stars than the 14-4 Stampeders.
David
Team Captain

Interesting. Thanks B.C. FAN. I didn't quite see it that way, but I certainly have no problem being wrong, especially when it's a good guy like Foster. :thup:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:i don't know how much interest wally will have with bourke or watman. bidding is going to get out of control.
Definitely brent jones would fit perfectly if he ever came back - he would probably be the first 300k centre

i think we will have 3 INT oline again.

Wally should focus on the Dline in FA, not oline. Ted Laurent is purrfect fit for us. Plus we have CND depth as well for rotation or injuries. Definitely a true NT disrupter and edge rusher are #2 and #1 must finds this offseason. rebuilding the secondary is #3 and #4. New tailback is #5. Then its OL depth.
Not sure if the bidding will get out of control on Bourke or Watman. Despite being picked 4th overall in 2013 Watman was still struggling to find playing time 3 years into his career. Bourke will be sought after for sure but at 10 years older than Steward and 7 years older than Draheim is it worth it to get so much longer in the tooth while possibly pushing one or both of them to the sidelines? One interesting tidbit on Bourke however; in his bio he lists Vancouver as his favourite CFL road city.

I think BC will pursue the big 3 NAT DL FAs......assuming they don't get extended in the meantime. However of the 3 I think Laurent will be the least likely to be signed. He will be no worse than #2 on every GM's FA shopping list. You may think bidding on Bourke and Watman will get out of control. It will pale in comparison to the bidding for Laurent. Many of the articles ranking the FAs have Andrew Harris #1 and Laurent #2. I don't disagree with Harris being at the top but I think there will only be 2 or 3 teams seriously pursuing him. Laurent on the other hand I think will be vigorously pursued by all teams. Whoever lands him will have to overpay to secure his services. Wally is not known for overpaying free agents. I think he'll put in a bigger effort to land Capioccotti or Laing (if he doesn't get an NFL deal).

Gabriel and Stephen may be higher on BC's wish list than the DL. Gabriel could be that safety they've been looking for. Stephen has been starting at corner for a couple of years in Hamilton. If there's anything to the rumour of moving Phillips to safety landing Stephen could help make that happen. Only thing about Stephen is that I don't know which corner side he was playing. If I recall Rwabukamba played quite well when called upon to play wide side corner. If that's the side Stephen was playing we could have a good combination to nail CB down as a NAT starting position.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With Dorazo coaching the 0 Line I have already lost confidence and and am apprehensive about the health of our QB and the number of sacks that could be happening. I hope the players like Dorazio more than I do.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:With Dorazo coaching the 0 Line I have already lost confidence and and am apprehensive about the health of our QB and the number of sacks that could be happening. I hope the players like Dorazio more than I do.
Despite all the criticism from the armchair OL Dano I don't think I've ever heard anybody whose played for Dorazio say anything but good things about him. All seem to genuinely love playing for him.
CardiacKid
Legend

I was thinking Kristain Matte could have been a solid free agent signing. He has experience as a starter, is a National and could have added some substantial depth to the O-line. In case of injury to any of our Nationals already in the fold, things look a little dicey from my viewpoint.

Jermaine Gabriel's name has popped up and I would like to add my voice as one who would like to see him in Lion's orange next year (I am assuming the new Adidas jerseys will be orange...). I liked what Eric Fraser brought to the team, in particular his willingness to get "stuck in". But Gabriel is younger and perhaps even more physical. He also appears to have good anticipation and the ability to make impact plays, either on the ball or the player.

Ted Laurent has to be either 1 or 2 in the free agent sweepstakes amongst Nationals but doesn't fit the description of the typical BC Lions free agent signing of the recent past. Justin Cappiocotti would definitely be a worthy pursuit.

As for Harris, I am still not convinced he will be leaving but if that is in fact the foregone conclusion, I think Toronto will be his destination.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:With Dorazo coaching the 0 Line I have already lost confidence and and am apprehensive about the health of our QB and the number of sacks that could be happening. I hope the players like Dorazio more than I do.
Despite all the criticism from the armchair OL Dano I don't think I've ever heard anybody whose played for Dorazio say anything but good things about him. All seem to genuinely love playing for him.
Patrick Kabongo was extremely complimentary of Dorazio from his time with the Leos. He particularly highlighted Dorazio's ability as a coach to improve Kabongo's fundamentals, his foot work, etc. Kabongo was all set to call it quits and be considered a wash out but he credits Dorazio with extending his career and growing into a useful member of the offensive line.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I will be satisfied if Dorazio does NOT implement the Zone Read blocking scheme, but I fear he will and it is too complicated and too prone to failure. If just one guy makes the wrong or contrary read then often some D lineman goes unblocked and the QB is in trouble.
green road kill
Rookie

I hate to be another voice that cuts into the arm chair hate fest of Dorazio, but
here goes. First,the Riders did put 500 points on the board and had a league leading
running game, and they did it with out getting a QB or three killed. Some one was
blocking somebody.
Second, the lions did suffer a number of freak injuries to the Oline in camp for a
couple seasons . Please get the guys threw camp, without somebody sitting down
and breaking a leg ( I shudder just thinking about it ).

I know many will disagree with this ,but I can't understand why so many think the
Leo's are so week up front , on both sides of the ball.
Brooks, Minter, Menard, Bazie, Westermen, Roh, give us a very good place to start.
Sign some free agent help ,or bring some one in, but what we have a'nt to shabby.
Same can be said for the Oline, the makens are there.Do we need another nat.
starter,YES do we need some depth, YES. But if we went to war today with what we
have, it wouldn't be as bad as some people think.I don't know what Malone did to
make so many love him. Other than his name isn't Dorazzio