Tragedy strikes the Flutie family

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Sadly reported on the BC Lions facebook page that Doug and Darren Flutie have lost both parents today. Their father had been ill and suffered a heart attack in hospital, and less than an hour later their mother suffered a heart attack and passed on.

I can't fathom how that must feel. RIP to Dick and Joan Flutie.
Roar you Lions roar!
Big Time
Champion

Horrible news. We often underestimate the physical impact the death of someone else has. As someone with two elderly parents, I worry sometimes how one will adjust when the other passes.

A few months ago my cousin lost his youngest daughter in a terrible accident. When he gave the tragic news to his mother (my aunt), she literally had a heart attack. Thankfully she recovered, but the emotional trauma of death can be overwhelming for many.

Condolences to the entire Flutie family.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I had just come across this on CNN's website a few minutes ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/18/us/doug-f ... index.html
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Doug Flutie revealed the sad news on his Facebook page in the following message posted at 12:42pmPT today:

https://www.facebook.com/dflutie/posts/ ... 95989775:0
It is with a heavy heart that I am making this statement. This morning my family experienced the tragic loss of my father, Dick and mother, Joan. My Dad had been ill and died of a heart attack in the hospital and my Mom, less than an hour later had a sudden heart attack and passed away. They say you can die of a broken heart and I believe it. I would like to honor my parents for all that they did throughout my and my brothers’ and sister’s lives. My parents were always there for their children, from the days my Dad coached us as kids and my Mom would work the concession stands, through to this morning. The most important part of their 56 years of marriage was providing opportunities to their children. They were incredible parents and Grandparents and my family and I will miss them both. On behalf of me and the entire Flutie family, I would like to thank you all for your well wishes and prayers during this difficult time.
How terrible to lose a parent; losing them both on the same day, all the worse.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That is so sad.