Lions @ Argos, Oct 30, 2015 -- Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/ray-to-start- ... s-vs-lions
Ray to start under centre for Argos vs. Lions

Posted: October 25, 2015 12:00 PM

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO -- The Toronto Argonauts will no longer enter a week of practice with question marks around who will run their offence.

Head Coach Scott Milanovich told reporters Sunday that Ricky Ray will start for the Double Blue under centre when his team takes on the BC Lions at Rogers Centre Friday night.

Ray, who has been working his way back from off-season shoulder surgery, entered last week’s loss to Montreal in the second half and completed 12 of 15 passes for 107 yards.

“We’ve made the decision to make a change at quarterback," Milanovich said. "Ricky is going to start this game and we’re going to go from there.

"I made the decision shortly after the game," he continued. "I called Ricky, asked him how he felt about it. He replied that he felt like he could do it.”

Ray’s return comes in the wake of two consecutive weeks where Trevor Harris was unable to keep the Argos offence moving despite having an MOP-calubre season until that point. Harris was 11 of 14 for 102 yards last week but couldn’t put any points on the board.

Harris entered the year as the starter and has completed 71.2 per cent of his passes for 4,144 yards. He also leads the league in touchdown passes with 32.

Milanovich said he told Harris to be ready because he could be pressed into action at any time, adding that another decision is to be made when the playoffs arrive.

“When I spoke with Trevor yesterday, I told him he needs to be ready," said Milanovich. "We need to find out what Ricky’s capable of doing before we get into the playoffs, then I need to make the decision as to who gives us the best chance to advance when we get there.

"Part of this is a function of that.”

Ray arrived in Toronto in 2012 in a trade with the Edmonton Eskimos, a move that immediately paid dividends for an Argo team that heated up in November to win the 100th Grey Cup on home turf. In 2013 he set the CFL record with a 77.2 completion percentage, finishing the season as the Most Outstanding Player runner-up.

Last weekend's game against Montreal was his first action since the end of that season after undergoing off-season shoulder surgery. Milanovich said the entire playbook will be available to Ray.

“I wouldn’t be putting him in there if I didn’t think so," said Milanovich. "It sounds like what you’re asking is, are we going to throw deep – and the answer is yes. We couldn’t put him in the game and not ask him to throw a deep ball."

"I was pleased with the way he reacted being behind the line, I mean that’s one thing that takes reps sometimes and you don’t feel good back there," the fourth-year head coach continued. "I thought he moved well in the pocket, I thought he felt the rush, got the ball out of his hands.

"It was better than I anticipated from that standpoint. To some degree we tried to keep the calls within what he’d be comfortable with and he did his job.”

The Argos have clinched a playoff spot but remain in a heated three-horse race for position in the East. They can no longer finish in first in the division, but second place and a home playoff game remains possible.

After playing BC on Friday the Boatmen finish off the regular season with a home date against the Bombers on Friday, Nov. 6.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ray arrived in Toronto in 2012 in a trade with the Edmonton Eskimos, a move that immediately paid dividends for an Argo team that heated up in November to win the 100th Grey Cup on home turf. In 2013 he set the CFL record with a 77.2 completion percentage, finishing the season as the Most Outstanding Player runner-up.
Not too shabby for Ricky Ray in 2012 and 2013. No surprise to me. To me he has seemed like Hall of Fame bound forever. I expect he will try the corner route in our end zone this Friday. Hopefully not too often.

Our playoff possibilities are in our own hands. A win for us would be terrific.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, if that is the case, then the Lions better prep for a dink and dunk game plan. That is Ricky Ray all over so best to keep the LB's within about 10 yards of the LOS. I do seem them trying some longer throws but that was never Ricky Rays main strength. He will nickel and dime you to death with short passes and quick releases so I don't expect a lot of sacks.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

Coming off shoulder rehab, and still not 100%, Ray won't be trying to go long much. (Despite what SM said).

Argos will be back at Rogers Centre so wind won't be a factor.

It makes for an interesting matchup--Argos going ice cold (at the worst time), and Lions heating up.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Well, if that is the case, then the Lions better prep for a dink and dunk game plan. That is Ricky Ray all over so best to keep the LB's within about 10 yards of the LOS. I do seem them trying some longer throws but that was never Ricky Rays main strength. He will nickel and dime you to death with short passes and quick releases so I don't expect a lot of sacks.
2 man rush and dropping 10 defenders into coverage ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:Well, if that is the case, then the Lions better prep for a dink and dunk game plan. That is Ricky Ray all over so best to keep the LB's within about 10 yards of the LOS. I do seem them trying some longer throws but that was never Ricky Rays main strength. He will nickel and dime you to death with short passes and quick releases so I don't expect a lot of sacks.
They do seem to do that but even a rusty Ricky Ray will cut them to pieces if they do. He knows well enough that given time a receiver will open up. I expect a lot of crossing patterns and outs. They will also try to establish a run as well to help RR out.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
aklawitter
All Star

Career Passer Rating, minimum 40,000 yards:

#3 Tom Brady
#2 Peyton Manning
#1 Ricky Ray

Thank you, Herm Edwards!
David
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:Argos will be back at Rogers Centre so wind won't be a factor.
Nor will crowd noise. :wink:

Leos should be preparing for both quarterbacks. Not thoroughly convinced they're just handing the keys to Ray.

We'll need to keep up the pressure and mix up our pass rushes. No more of this passive 3 man rush, and dropping linebackers everyone into coverage. Ray thrives with time in the pocket and will eat us alive underneath. We've done a good job lately of mixing things up and disguising our blitzes and doing more stunts. That's the only way to beat a savvy future Hall Of Famer like Ray.

Interestingly, the Argos are likely to be without their leading receiver, Tori Gurley for disciplinary reasons (too many sideline confrontations for Milanovich's liking). Story CLICK HERE. The Argos are tough for a smaller defensive backfield like ours to defend as most of their guys are 6'2"+.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
I wouldn't put it past Washington.

Of course, the last time they tried something like that against Ray, he ran for something like 150 yards on scrambles.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is Chad Owens still in the league ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/pivotal-press ... in-week-19
Not much can happen in these last two games to diminish what Jonathon Jennings has accomplished across his first five CFL starts, so in that regard there’s a little less pressure on the talented 23-year-old. Yet at the same time, Jennings is the reason the Lions have made it this far and he’s probably their biggest hope of going even further.

With Jennings under centre, the Lions have lost two hard-fought battles with Edmonton and one with Calgary, showing both times they belonged on the field with the CFL’s elite. Another one of the league’s elite teams, Hamilton, fell to Jennings and the Lions in lopsided fashion less than a week ago.

No moment is too big for the young gunslinger and no opponent is too tough, that much he’s already proven. Now how will he respond to the increasing pressure of getting his team in the playoffs? The Lions are the only team in the race out West in control of their own destiny – if they win their last two games, they make the playoffs.

But with matchups against Ricky Ray and the Argos and the Stampeders in the finale, the path to the playoffs for Jennings and the Lions won’t be easy. Can Jennings maintain his high level of play and lead BC to a playoff
Yup. We've got a good one in Jonathan Jennings. :thup:

Nothing seems to phase him. He just goes out and plays his game. And his game is very good.

Blitz
Team Captain

With Tedford now more involved with our Leos systems and making effective changes, with Jennings at quarterback, the addition of Hawkins in our offence, with two big and effective defensive tackles, and with our improved special teams play, including Rainey as our Leos return man, our Leos are now a much more dangerous team, as we prepare to play Toronto.

Our Leos had the worst defense in the CFL for most of this season. Our offence was ranked 8th for most of this football year.
Our Leos, with some very improved offensive performances and especially Jennings play at quarterback, our offence is now 4th in points scored, 3rd in touchdown passes, 3rd in giving up the least quarterback sacks, 5th in rushing yard, 7th in passing yards, and 7th in average yards of offence.

Those stats might not be glowing but due to our most recent performances on offence, we have climbed the ladder significantly.

On defense, we’ve moved up from being last in most categories this season to 4th in interceptions (we’ve had quite a few lately), 6th in points scored against, 5th in opponents first downs, 6th against the pass, 6th in quarterback sacks, and 8th in opponents net offence.We’re still last against the run but we have reduced our run average against significantly in recent weeks.

For most of this season we were an embarrassing football team but not anymore. Instead we are an exciting one. Just goes to show that changing systems combined with a few key personell moves can be a difference maker.

The stats still don’t show us as a deserving playoff team but in recent weeks our team stats have been up there amongst CFL leaders and we are playing a brand of football now that would make us a challenging playoff opponent.

However, we have to at least keep pace with Montreal in the last two games of the season to secure a playoff position.

Sure would love to see us beat the Argos. Montreal plays Edmonton. I can't ever remember pulling for the Eskimos in any game for a couple of decades but I will be this time.

Keep making those changes Tedford. Go Jennings. Go Leos. :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

I am surprised Jennings hasn't garnered a bigger buzz around the league than he has. Not that he's exactly flying under the radar, but what he's accomplished since being thrown into the fire mid-season is nothing short of remarkable. He's putting up great numbers FOR A VETERAN, let alone a 23-year old rookie. I just thought a little more fuss would have been made about his exploits - both at home and other CFL cities.

Oh well, less pressure on him I suppose.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:I am surprised Jennings hasn't garnered a bigger buzz around the league than he has. Not that he's exactly flying under the radar, but what he's accomplished since being thrown into the fire mid-season is nothing short of remarkable. He's putting up great numbers FOR A VETERAN, let alone a 23-year old rookie. I just thought a little more fuss would have been made about his exploits - both at home and other CFL cities.

Jennings is 2-3 as a starter, and could have been 5-0. BC had the lead for 90% of those 5 games, but lost opportunities certainly lessen the amount of attention he's received. Even if we aren't hearing much in the media, I'll bet there are a few CFL clubs who are interested in him.
pennw
Legend

David wrote:I am surprised Jennings hasn't garnered a bigger buzz around the league than he has. Not that he's exactly flying under the radar, but what he's accomplished since being thrown into the fire mid-season is nothing short of remarkable. He's putting up great numbers FOR A VETERAN, let alone a 23-year old rookie. I just thought a little more fuss would have been made about his exploits - both at home and other CFL cities.

If you have been watching the half time panel , you would see that they have taken notice of Jennings , especially Chris Shultz . Shultz has said a few times that if BC gets into the playoffs he thinks they are the most dangerous team , no one will want to play them , that is if they get the other things all ironed out . And this all due to the play of Jennings and the way he has elevated the whole team .