NEW BC PLACE 5 YEARS OLD

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

hey every one just wanted to get your opinion on BC PLACE after getting its face lift in September of 2011 , I do remember a lot of people on here , the media etc how with the new roof it is going to be more exciting then when it was built back in 1983 ,

Going to football game in the summer on a Sunday afternoon , How with the Roof open the attendance was going to clime another 7-10 thousand people a game .

Thanks
dupsdell1
Champion

dupsdell1 wrote:hey every one just wanted to get your opinion on BC PLACE after getting its face lift in September of 2011 , I do remember a lot of people on here , the media etc how with the new roof it is going to be more exciting then when it was built back in 1983 ,

Going to football game in the summer on a Sunday afternoon , How with the Roof open the attendance was going to clime another 7-10 thousand people a game .

Thanks

I think if you remember all the trouble bc place concessions had with running out of food and especially beer kind of left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouth , ( not anymore but back then it did )
David
Team Captain

dupsdell1 wrote:I think if you remember all the trouble bc place concessions had with running out of food and especially beer kind of left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouth , ( not anymore but back then it did )
So did the food.... (rimshot). :wink: Actually, food quality (and options) have greatly improved at BC Place in the past couple of years.

As for the roof, obviously I would prefer a smaller outdoor stadium like Ottawa's or even Winnipeg, but the roof isn't preventing more people from attending, boring football (at premium prices) is.

While it's a definite improvement over what we had before, I was disappointed when I saw the roof for the first time. I expected it to open at least 20% wider as it was modeled after Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt Germany. While it's great that air circulates, it's more like a car "sunroof" than a convertible. And all those ugly cables...

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
aklawitter
All Star

The main complaint with the roof was that the 100x85 opening was woefully inadequate, and the giant screens further taking up "sky" space.

The opening needed to be at least 150x100 to be compared to the best in the world.
dupsdell1
Champion

The open Roof I believe is almost the same size as Cowboys Stadium , I know in Dallas they complained also about how small there roof was when it opened as I have work clients in Dallas .
dupsdell1
Champion

dupsdell1 wrote:The open Roof I believe is almost the same size as Cowboys Stadium , I know in Dallas they complained also about how small there roof was when it opened as I have work clients in Dallas .

http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_productio ... /large.jpg
maxlion
Legend

It's an impressive stadium, but not what is needed for the CFL or Whitecaps now. Ottawa, Hamilton, and Winnipeg got it right (minus the lawsuits).
dupsdell1
Champion

maxlion wrote:It's an impressive stadium, but not what is needed for the CFL or Whitecaps now. Ottawa, Hamilton, and Winnipeg got it right (minus the lawsuits).

Yes I agree maybe when we get a new owner they might consider getting out of there but I doubt it.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

5 years old? All I'll say is that around these here parts it's still 2015.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:
maxlion wrote:It's an impressive stadium, but not what is needed for the CFL or Whitecaps now. Ottawa, Hamilton, and Winnipeg got it right (minus the lawsuits).

Yes I agree maybe when we get a new owner they might consider getting out of there but I doubt it.
Getting out of there? To where?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think the implication is that a new owner with deep pockets might build another stadium. I doubt that would happen given the obsession that seems to be playing downtown and the fact that BC Place just did undergo a massive facelift. Such conversations are probably another 25 years down the road but it isn't impossible.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I think the implication is that a new owner with deep pockets might build another stadium
Yes, but where?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, there is the PNE lands for a start, I could also see something in Surrey either down by a new built bridge in New West or near the freeway in the 176 area. There has been much discussion of developing that largely untouched area for some years now.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:I think the implication is that a new owner with deep pockets might build another stadium.
Oh God! Spare us!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Well, there is the PNE lands for a start, I could also see something in Surrey either down by a new built bridge in New West or near the freeway in the 176 area. There has been much discussion of developing that largely untouched area for some years now.
PNE is a non-starter unless and until they get rapid transit to that area. I'm not aware of any plans for such. Any new address will have to be served by rapid transit. I also don't see an owner spending multi-millions on a new stadium while BCP is still available.