Drew Willy Questionable To Start for Thursday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dpoe
Starter

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

O'Shea told the media that he trusts Willy and it sounds like he'll play.

I was thinking their best chance would be bring in RB coach Buck Pierce as Brohm like the Riders backup to Glenn doesn't look to be able to play. Can't figure out why Sunseri would not be in the mix there. Weird.

And blast from the past. I see Steff Kruck is with Arizona Christian as QB coach:

Staff Directory
FULL STAFF
EXPAND
Steff Kruck
Quarterbacks Coach

Phone: (484) 716-5441
Email: acufootball@arizonachristian.edu

Return to Staff
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:O'Shea told the media that he trusts Willy and it sounds like he'll play.

I was thinking their best chance would be bring in RB coach Buck Pierce as Brohm like the Riders backup to Glenn doesn't look to be able to play. Can't figure out why Sunseri would not be in the mix there. Weird.
Sunseri could be in the mix again much to the chagrin of the majority of Rider fans. He was released in the first set of training camp cuts. He didn't even make it to their 2nd exhibition game before getting the proverbial roadmap and apple. When Durant they brought him back in. Given the Riders' depth was reduced to Glenn and a raw rookie in was a logical move. He does have experience and was with the Riders for the first 2 weeks of camp giving him exposure to Chap's offence. It was preferable to the alternative of bringing in somebody who would have to start from scratch. If Glenn is lost for any period of time Sunseri could leapfrog over Smith into the starting role. Coaches being coaches Chamblin may see that as the safer move in attempting to salvage the season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

To me, that's the problem. Last season (and the trend continues this season) Willy was playing hurt until finally the injuries got too much for him. Coaches tend to give players like him too much leeway. Too funny when O'Shea says "we'll see if he can practice".
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3169759
Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea says he's optimistic that quarterback Drew Willy, who was injured during a game in Edmonton this past weekend, can rejoin the lineup in time for Thursday's game against the visiting B.C. Lions.

Willy was hit low on a combined tackle midway through Saturday night's 32-3 loss to the Eskimos.

He was helped off the field with an apparent injury to his right knee and was replaced by backup Brian Brohm.

"He's seeing the doctor, had the tests done, and we're hopeful that he'll get a chance to play," O'Shea told reporters in Winnipeg on Monday.

"We'll know more tomorrow. We'll see if he can practice and we'll go from there."

If Willy does not get the green light by Thursday, Brohm will start again.

O'Shea attributed the team's recent two losses to a lack of focus. He said while he believes the team put in effort during Saturday's game, there were too many penalties and turnovers.

O'Shea said he's working with his players on being focused.

"In practice, meetings, we talked about it today," he said.

"It's a week where the hard work comes in the meeting room, in the film room and making sure you're doing the work at home at night, so this week's all about focus."
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:Sunseri could be in the mix again much to the chagrin of the majority of Rider fans. He was released in the first set of training camp cuts. He didn't even make it to their 2nd exhibition game before getting the proverbial roadmap and apple. When Durant they brought him back in. Given the Riders' depth was reduced to Glenn and a raw rookie in was a logical move. He does have experience and was with the Riders for the first 2 weeks of camp giving him exposure to Chap's offence. It was preferable to the alternative of bringing in somebody who would have to start from scratch. If Glenn is lost for any period of time Sunseri could leapfrog over Smith into the starting role. Coaches being coaches Chamblin may see that as the safer move in attempting to salvage the season.
Taman said yesterday that Glenn is "50/50" for being able to play and declined to give details on the nature of his injuries. Before that, Chamblin said it's likely (in the absence of Glenn) Sunseri will be moved up on the depth chart. (There is, off course, many, many threads on RIderFan about this).

Honestly, they would be crazy throwing an injured Glenn into the EDM D blitz.
Last edited by BC 1988 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Team Captain

Likely high level subterfuge in order to get the Lions to prepare for two quarterbacks.

Helped off the field? Ice pack on the knee? Playing 5 days later? Doubt it.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Likely high level subterfuge in order to get the Lions to prepare for two quarterbacks.

I agree, and if the Bombers do, they are risking more IL time on Willy. Bombers can't afford that to be the case, so my expectations are that Willy at best dresses for insertion on a key drive.....and that is a stretch.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Supposedly Willie practiced yesterday but limped off the field and didn't finish.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Likely high level subterfuge in order to get the Lions to prepare for two quarterbacks.

I concur. I highly doubt Willy will be playing.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:

I concur. I highly doubt Willy will be playing.
That wouldn't be subterfuge. That would be lying. The Bombers have told everyone that Willy will start.
Blue BombersVerified account ‏@Wpg_BlueBombers · 4h4 hours ago
Quarterback Drew Willy will start tomorrow night against the @BCLions.
BC 1988
Legend

^^^ Agreed. There's a difference between saying a player will dress for a game vs will "start" a game.

This reminds me of Buck Pierce hobbling around during the 2011 GC. If Willy actually does start, it's a good indication that O'Shea thinks that our no-blitz D will politely refrain from trying to knock him down.
BC 1988
Legend

After seeing that running performance by Willy (5 carries for 72 yards), maybe it was high level subterfuge of a different kind. (Limping around for the cameras during practice?).

The only time he looked to be in any kind of difficulty, the Lions got back-to-back sacks on him. He was quick to recover from that.

I doubt Willy would have had the same result vs a top-notch attacking D like EDM, HAM, MTL or OTT. (who incidentally are BC's next 4 opponents).