CFL Regular Season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

For the second time in the game Ssk has a TD negated by penalty and are force to settle for a chip shot 3-pointer. 16-10 Ssk.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Riders cap a 105yd TD drive with a 27yd toss from Brett Smith to Ryan Smith. They go for 2 but fail as Smith overthrows Bagg. Riders lead 22-10.

The drive was aided by three Wpg penalties totalling 35yds including a contacting the kicker call on a 3rd down punt, one that put the Ssk O back on the field.

Wind has been a factor with all of the scoring so far coming with it and Wpg will have it as they continue to drive at the start of Q4.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ssk keep it mostly on the ground with a 90yd TD drive into the wind, capping it with a Rob Bagg 1yd carry off tackle into goal. The convert makes it 29-10 Ssk with under 8-1/2mins left. Looks like the Riders in Week 11 could finally be joining the rest of the league in the win column, a result that would benefit BC's playoff hopes by keeping Wpg one win behind us.

Wpg used their 2nd coach's challenge on the play before the TD but upon review Bagg was ruled in bounds at the sideline for the completion to set up the scoring play.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Potentially a big break for Wpg as Demski muffs a punt near the sideline and swats it out of bounds with a Wpg player closing. Problem was, he stepped out of bounds between the muff and the swat and gets called for illegal participation and interference on a loose ball, which gives Wpg possession.

But the Bombers are unable to seize the opportunity with only a MFG rouge to show for it. 29-11 Ssk with 6mins left.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Another MFG rouge, this time from Ssk with McCallum kicking into the wind from the hashmark at a sharp angle from 33yds, to make it 30-11.

Cuthbert and Suitor speculating on Wpg newcomer Matt Nichols maybe getting the QB start in the Banjo Bowl rematch.

Wpg adds a rushing TD from Cameron Marshall but likely too little, too late with just 87sec remaining. The try for 2 is good as Brohm carries it in, 30-19 Ssk.

Onside kick goes straight out of bounds, Ssk ball and that should do it.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ssk have to punt it away but on the next play Brackenridge snatches it away from Wpg's Darvin Adams and takes it the distance for another TD. 37-19 Ssk after the convert is the final score and Bob Dyce's coaching debut is a successful one.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Winnipeg is a terrible football team. The Riders helped the Lions with the victory but I don't think Winnipeg is a threat to make the playoffs this year.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Winnipeg is a terrible football team. The Riders helped the Lions with the victory but I don't think Winnipeg is a threat to make the playoffs this year.
Agreed B.C. FAN.
Lions' greatest threat will be who finishes fourth between Montreal and Ottawa. But from a league perspective not good with roughly 12,000 Grey Cup tickets left to sell with the host team looking this bad and potential Rider fans not in the equation either. Of course doesn't help when the upper deck is $413 per ticket, regular end zone $313 and even the temporary end zone bleachers at $190. And to sit outside in what kind of late November weather?
Two straight non sellouts doesn't reflect well on the league especially in a stadium with a capacity of 37,000 for the game.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Winnipeg is a terrible football team. The Riders helped the Lions with the victory but I don't think Winnipeg is a threat to make the playoffs this year.
Agreed B.C. FAN.
Lions' greatest threat will be who finishes fourth between Montreal and Ottawa. But from a league perspective not good with roughly 12,000 Grey Cup tickets left to sell with the host team looking this bad and potential Rider fans not in the equation either. Of course doesn't help when the upper deck is $413 per ticket, regular end zone $313 and even the temporary end zone bleachers at $190. And to sit outside in what kind of late November weather?
Two straight non sellouts doesn't not reflect well on the league especially in a stadium with a capacity of 37,000 for the game.
To think, we were getting crapped on last year for drawing 52k to a Grey Cup game no one else wanted to host. That could be the last 50k Cup for a while depending on how soon either Mtl, Edm or we get it back. It's not clear a GC in Tor would be played in Skydome instead of the Argos' new BMO home, which leaves only three league cities that could readily make so many seats available.

I'm hearing capacity for the Wpg GC is only 36k, which if I'm not mistaken, even if it sells out would make it the smallest GC crowd since Hamilton in 1996.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good weekend for the Lions continue. Go Riders....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Who are you cheering for in the battle of Alberta? I can't see myself ever cheering for Chris Jones, so I'm pulling for Calgary.

It may seem far-fetched given the way the Lions have played in the first half of the season, but there is a strategic advantage to pulling for Calgary. A Stampeder sweep in the annual home-and-home series with Edmonton and a B.C. victory over Ottawa next weekend would pull the Lions within two points of the Esks for second place, with B.C. having a game in hand and already having beaten the Esks once, with two more games to go against each other. I'm sure many Lions fans would be happy just to make the playoffs, but a home playoff game isn't out of reach.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

You are right BC Fan, let Calgary win.

I'm not a huge Jones fan either but I do respect the job he's done with that team as it was a mess before him with Kavis Reed's coaching. I suspect he's a far superior DC than he is a HC but he seems to get his team ready to play on all sides of the ball.

I like the class of the Stampeders these days under Hufnagel and Dickenson as these are also top coaches who produce well coached teams. These two coaches are good communicators with the media - a trait I like. I want to know how these guys lead and the Stamps leadership duo say the right things.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Of course, the two best players for the Riders today were ex-Lions. Jerome Messam on offense, and one of our 2015 training camp cuts, Andre Monroe from Maryland, who gave the Bomber O-line fits today and finished with 3 tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble. :bang:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Who are you cheering for in the battle of Alberta? I can't see myself ever cheering for Chris Jones, so I'm pulling for Calgary.

It may seem far-fetched given the way the Lions have played in the first half of the season, but there is a strategic advantage to pulling for Calgary. A Stampeder sweep in the annual home-and-home series with Edmonton and a B.C. victory over Ottawa next weekend would pull the Lions within two points of the Esks for second place, with B.C. having a game in hand and already having beaten the Esks once, with two more games to go against each other. I'm sure many Lions fans would be happy just to make the playoffs, but a home playoff game isn't out of reach.
:football: Would def help to have Edm fall back toward us with a couple of losses but I'm not sure a home playoff game, and it would almost certainly be a semifinal, would necessarily be a good thing from the POV of how big would the crowd be? We would prob clinch it pretty late with little time to sell tickets. SFs can be a tough sell.

:football: I agree with the previous point that the greatest threat to our playoff hopes right now is from the crossover. Someone posted this link here recently: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/football/Canada/CFL.html and right now it has Mtl as slightly more likely to qualify over us (50.1% vs 48.6%) even with a loss in their extra game played, presumably based on relative strength of schedule. Wpg after their loss today has sunk to 11.1%.

:football: I made the point last week that I couldn't recall the last time that the two Labour Day games Edm@Cgy and Tor@Ham BOTH featured the top two teams in their respective divisions at the time of the games. I've heard it mentioned in a couple media sources since then including during today's TSN broadcast of the Wpg@Ssk game that this year is in fact the FIRST time EVER that this has been the case, which is a little surprising after all these years.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Of course, the two best players for the Riders today were ex-Lions. Jerome Messam on offense, and one of our 2015 training camp cuts, Andre Monroe from Maryland, who gave the Bomber O-line fits today and finished with 3 tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble. :bang:

DH :cool:
Ex-Lion Jermarcus Hardrick, released in the spring when the Lions planned to start only one American O-lineman, got his first start as a Rider today at RT.