Meeting with Jeff Tedford

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anybody received an invite to meet with Head Coach Jeff Tedford ? Two sessions: March 22 at the Lions training facility and March 25 at the BC Lions locker room at BC Place
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That's a a good thing as it will help get the team in front of the media and fans.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LU reports on Tedford's first meeting with disgruntled fans on Sunday. It seems to have gone well for the club:
Tedford and general manager Wally Buono spoke for more than an hour to a select group of season-ticket holders, those who had not renewed and assorted fence-sitters who had become disenchanted with the Lions after their 9-9 season.

Another private gathering involving Tedford is set for Wednesday at B.C. Place Stadium, a clear sign the club is trying to prevent further erosion from a season-ticket renewal rate which had dipped to a reported 65 per cent.

Ullrich: Lions brass hold talk with disenchanted fans

It seems most of the focus was on the team's performance on the field last year, its abysmal home record and the questionable entertainment value of the offence. Ticket pricing and closure of the upper deck to season ticketholders didn't come up as issues. Unfortunately, the one detail that has been picked up in other media is News1130's month-old tweet about a 65% renewal rate among season ticketholders, without reference to that figure being partially offset by sales to new season ticketholders. With flex packs and 3-game packs now being sold, we're overdue for some updated season ticket numbers from the team.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It’s also evident he wants improved offensive line play.

“From what I could see on film our two tackles did a good job, but we are going to have to do things internally to get better inside,” he said. -- Jeff Tedford
:thup:
Touching on B.C.’s defence, he said: “We need to put more pressure on the passer.” -- Jeff Tedford
:thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Among the participants at the Sunday meeting were Jeff Tedford, Wally Buono, Dennis Skulsky, Geroy Simon and current players Travis Lulay, Andrew Harris and Jason Arakgi. The first hour was the reception in which we had a bite to eat and an opportunity to meet the the coach, president, GM and players. Messrs. Tedford, Skulsky and Buono were very approachable and down to earth. Had an opportunity to meet Travis and told him not to be a hero and take on linebackers. He laughed and said he doesn't take on linebackers :wink: He did confessed that the defensive back got the better of him on the play which separated his shoulder. Harris said it's been a long off season of rehabbing but expects to be ready for training camp.

The meeting got under way with Skulsky thanking those that attended. He said the average CFL attendance last season was around 27,000. He anticipates that if the lower bowl is sold out the Lions should average 28,000. He encourage fans to contact him and send in ideas on how to improve the atmosphere at home games. Addressed the issue of TV blackouts which is here to stay. Said fans attending games in person experience atmosphere that people at home cannot. Said that the Lions are working on things to improve the experience at games. No details were released although he did mention perhaps more in game statistics on the big screen. Skulsky vehemently denied that the Lions have cut back on their training staff. Didn't know how the rumour started.

Buono was the next speaker and he had nothing but high praise for Tedford. Described him as always thinking. Tedford implemented the 6 receiver package. Aside from Tedford, Buono mentioned John Hufnagel as the other person who is an innovator.

Tedford was the next speaker and he spoke of how the Lions need to be more younger, more athletic, aggressive and disciplined. Stressed the importance of turnovers. Teams winning the turnover battle often wins. Spoke about the importance of protecting the quarterback. Mentioned the various ways this can be achieved: different launch points, different blocking schemes such as slide protection, running game and various play packages. In response to a fan's question about the receiving corp, the coach mentioned the need for different types of receivers such as big guys that can fight for the ball, speed receivers. Lions are looking to implement a new physical fitness testing for the players, supplemented with nutritional advice.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Among the participants at the Sunday meeting were Jeff Tedford, Wally Buono, Dennis Skulsky, Geroy Simon and current players Travis Lulay, Andrew Harris and Jason Arakgi. The first hour was the reception in which we had a bite to eat and an opportunity to meet the the coach, president, GM and players. Messrs. Tedford, Skulsky and Buono were very approachable and down to earth. Had an opportunity to meet Travis and told him not to be a hero and take on linebackers. He laughed and said he doesn't take on linebackers :wink: He did confessed that the defensive back got the better of him on the play which separated his shoulder. Harris said it's been a long off season of rehabbing but expects to be ready for training camp.

The meeting got under way with Skulsky thanking those that attended. He said the average CFL attendance last season was around 27,000. He anticipates that if the lower bowl is sold out the Lions should average 28,000. He encourage fans to contact him and send in ideas on how to improve the atmosphere at home games. Addressed the issue of TV blackouts which is here to stay. Said fans attending games in person experience atmosphere that people at home cannot. Said that the Lions are working on things to improve the experience at games. No details were released although he did mention perhaps more in game statistics on the big screen. Skulsky vehemently denied that the Lions have cut back on their training staff. Didn't know how the rumour started.

Buono was the next speaker and he had nothing but high praise for Tedford. Described him as always thinking. Tedford implemented the 6 receiver package. Aside from Tedford, Buono mentioned John Hufnagel as the other person who is an innovator.

Tedford was the next speaker and he spoke of how the Lions need to be more younger, more athletic, aggressive and disciplined. Stressed the importance of turnovers. Teams winning the turnover battle often wins. Spoke about the importance of protecting the quarterback. Mentioned the various ways this can be achieved: different launch points, different blocking schemes such as slide protection, running game and various play packages. In response to a fan's question about the receiving corp, the coach mentioned the need for different types of receivers such as big guys that can fight for the ball, speed receivers. Lions are looking to implement a new physical fitness testing for the players, supplemented with nutritional advice.
Thanks for that perspective, TLK. It sounds like a positive experience.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The one good news bit is that Tedford sounds like a significant leadership upgrade over Mike B who started off sounding pretty good but ended up with little focus and little credibility.

Discipline is something that the Benefield era didn't have as it was clear when McCallum hammered on that post season where even parking rules were not respected.

These factors should be worth something in the way of on field performance.

Buono linking Tedford to a Huffnagel is pretty high praise indeed. I suspect he truly believes that to be the case or he'd not have said that.

LU notes that the fan questions were more focused on on field performance than at other fan meets.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Great update, The Lion King. Thanks.

Just wondering though how one gets invited to such an event? When I mentioned this to my season ticket partner he was kind of chafed. "Maybe we have to hold out a bit next year and not be so eager to renew." I couldn't really argue, although I understand the logistical challenges of inviting all season ticket holders to a 'town hall' type of event and keeping it somewhat intimate and personal.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Great update, The Lion King. Thanks.

Just wondering though how one gets invited to such an event? When I mentioned this to my season ticket partner he was kind of chafed. "Maybe we have to hold out a bit next year and not be so eager to renew." I couldn't really argue, although I understand the logistical challenges of inviting all season ticket holders to a 'town hall' type of event and keeping it somewhat intimate and personal.

The gathering was restricted to 75-100 fans. Most were long time season ticket holders and from what I gather people who were former season ticket holders that have not renewed that the Lions are hoping to get them back.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Great update, The Lion King. Thanks.

It does sound like only last year's STHs who haven't yet renewed were invited. But no telling if this will happen next year.

Re: a similar event for committed STHs, I think that's something they would have to handle with multiple events. Break it down geographically (Vancouver, Bby/NW, Coq/PoCo, Surrey/Langley, etc) and get out into those communities. Not sure if this is logistically feasible but it's something that would enhance the STH experience. I don't recall there ever being such an event in all my years (nearly 20) in this town, not even during Ackles's time, but maybe I just hadn't heard about it (info didn't flow as freely over the earliest of those years as internet was far less mature than nowadays). I guess the fanfest during training camp would be the closest thing to this current event for actual STHs.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
LU notes that the fan questions were more focused on on field performance than at other fan meets.
All the questions were directed at on field performances.

Offensive line - Tedford seem satisfied with the two tackles but didn't offer any praise for the interior offensive line. Said that they will go with 5 best lineman with backups.

One fan brought up the issue of Paul McCallum - Tedford said the issue will be dealt with this week. (He's coming back for another reason)

Number of penalties on special teams - Buono said there is a proposal to eliminate the 5 yard penalty on punts that bounce off the field thus trapping players on the covering team.

Quarterback - Tedford discussed the importance of protecting the quarterback by a variety of means and the importance of a mobile quarterback.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
It does sound like only last year's STHs who haven't yet renewed were invited. But no telling if this will happen next year.
Not quite true. I'm a long time season ticket holder. There is a man and wife who attends Lions game in a white and orange suit that were also there. They are long time Lion fans.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Not quite true. I'm a long time season ticket holder. There is a man and wife who attends Lions game in a white and orange suit that were also there. They are long time Lion fans.
That sounds like Jack Hetherington, the guy who calls himself Captain Canada:

http://www.captainandmrscanada.ca/

They've been regulars on the current videoboard since it went up in 2011 and AFAIK they've been going to games in their distinctive garb for longer than that.

Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Yup, that's them.
squishy35
Legend

I'll be buying a 3 game flex on Friday... :)