2015 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:It looks to be a technical glitch with ticketmaster. Someone should email the lions so you can toggle on to regular tickets as well. can't buy the corners as well and there are usually tickets available. This is definately a ticketmaster issue, they just set it up wrong
I was thinking the same thing. In fact as I looked at it I noticed some options you could toggle to light up diff categories. I was thinking it would bring up the others but it only removed the lone available category when I tried to switch things around.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
zeppo
Starter

Qman wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Whitecaps are clearing doing a better job of advertising their product than the Lions.
Yeah, they also lose $6million a season
:shock: Six million? I know next to nothing about The Bells, except that they have a solid fan base,
and seem to have signed on a lot of corporate sponsors. So, why the multi-million dollar losses?
Qman
Champion

They generate similar revenue to the Lions - ticket prices are roughly half but play twice as many home games.
But there is also twice the road games and operating costs for 9 months. Plus there academy and USL teams costs a ton.
Biggest issue is fall in C$, a lot of their cost are in US$ and revenue is in C$.

The source for $6million loss is forbes
Qman
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
Qman wrote:It looks to be a technical glitch with ticketmaster. Someone should email the lions so you can toggle on to regular tickets as well. can't buy the corners as well and there are usually tickets available. This is definately a ticketmaster issue, they just set it up wrong
I was thinking the same thing. In fact as I looked at it I noticed some options you could toggle to light up diff categories. I was thinking it would bring up the others but it only removed the lone available category when I tried to switch things around.
tweeted the lions ... they are looking at it
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The TM map seems to have been fixed. I just clicked on an online Lions ad for single-game tickets and was able to see the seating chart with the full range of ticket options, from $39.45 (fees included) for the back-to-school offer to $129 for a club seat. I chuckled when I clicked on the club seat and the CAPTCHA code generated by TM was "stinking rich."
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:The TM map seems to have been fixed. I just clicked on an online Lions ad for single-game tickets and was able to see the seating chart with the full range of ticket options, from $39.45 (fees included) for the back-to-school offer to $129 for a club seat. I chuckled when I clicked on the club seat and the CAPTCHA code generated by TM was "stinking rich."
lions thanked me with a pair of sideline tickets
David
Team Captain

Thankfully, Lions are airing a :30 second TV spot to drum up interest for Sunday's game. It was on 2x on Global News (dinner hour) and 1x on CTV news (dinner hour).

The Scene: Guy in a Lulay jersey walks into a bar and presents 3 Lions tickets to a guy and a girl. All pumped up, the three head off to the game, walking through a lively Terry Fox Plaza pre-game. Cut to a shot of them in the stands where they're high-fiving a Lions touchdown (it was actually Collie's 2 pt convert vs Saskatchewan). The final shot is a bumper detailing the Lions next home game vs Ottawa and how to buy tickets.

The Verdict:
They get just about everything right here. Upbeat music, the 3 (I'm assuming actors) are in their 20's, good-looking, urban. Their smiles and high-fives are infectious - they genuinely look like they're having a great time. The one issue I have is the footage as mentioned above was from very late in the home opener, when many of the 23K had left the stadium! So while the action looks really fun and infectious, all the empty seats do not exactly scream "come watch us play!"

Too bad they couldn't have edited in say, a 2nd quarter shot of the stands from the last home game vs. Montreal. The lower bowl was quite full between the goal lines.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
J5V
Rookie

So... not even $ 5 off the worst seats and a back pack promotion that isn't even advertised. That ought to fill the place.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm not sure how ticket sales are going for Sunday's game. I'll miss my third straight game because of work commitments and so far I haven't found anyone to take my tickets. The summer schedule has been awful. Jamie Pitblado, the Lions' director of fan engagement, discusses the schedule in a Mike Beamish article focusing on the difficulties of going up against the opening Sunday of the NFL season.
“We’re a television-driven league, more than a fan-driven league, in many ways,” Pitblado says. “You have a large contingent of our fans who live out in the Fraser Valley. Mid-week games are tough for them, when they have to work the next day. Sunday games are tough. TV does dictate a significant amount of what we do. But it happens in every sport. Playing on a Friday or Saturday night is better for us. Saturday is the No. 1 choice of our fans.”
NFL kickoff, Redblacks present Sunday challenges for Lions at BC Place
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lions have been running that ad promoting games going back into July. I think they've done a very good job with it as they are trying to capture and promote the experience of going to a game. I think I'm understanding their tactic with this one. No sense spending money buying spots for it steadily through the season in a market that is notorious for waiting until the last minute. Instead wait until about 10 days before the next game and push it hard.

On a side note: I'll be interested to see Whitecaps attendance numbers tonight. Sure are lots of Caps fans dressed up as empty seats.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:On a side note: I'll be interested to see Whitecaps attendance numbers tonight. Sure are lots of Caps fans dressed up as empty seats.
I noticed that too. According to the Whitecaps website, the attendance was 17,583.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Hambone wrote:On a side note: I'll be interested to see Whitecaps attendance numbers tonight. Sure are lots of Caps fans dressed up as empty seats.
I noticed that too. According to the Whitecaps website, the attendance was 17,583.
So much for taking over the Lions. Whitecaps were playing for 1st place and they only drew 17,583
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Not sure what they do for configuration. I don't know what seats they eliminate but I think I've heard their lower bowl capacity is around 21000 compared to the Lions approx. 26500. Based on 21K capacity that 17583 sounds about right for what I was seeing on TV. Looking at TM's map this morning the Lions might be at not much more than that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
So much for taking over the Lions. Whitecaps were playing for 1st place and they only drew 17,583
I was there. I said 12,000 butts in seats. Basically half the seats are full. Thats what the caps normally get wednesday games ... although the last couple before this one have been well attended.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Not sure what they do for configuration. I don't know what seats they eliminate but I think I've heard their lower bowl capacity is around 21000 compared to the Lions approx. 26500. Based on 21K capacity that 17583 sounds about right for what I was seeing on TV. Looking at TM's map this morning the Lions might be at not much more than that.
The caps tarp off upper half of the endzone, and upper 1/3 or corners and a bunch of sideline sections/club sections. Difference with the lions is most of the club and suits are filled & used, sideline is fuller. With the caps the endzone is fuller (but half is tarped off).
The lions can't seem to sell endzone seats while the caps sell more in the endzone.
Caps might have more comp tickets that fill up these sections (Skulsky said the lions have cut back bigtime on comps/discounted tickets)