CFL Draft 2015, Nic Demski, Pick #6 in Round 1

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:If you recall the selection of this guy was Jeff Tedford's pick.

I recall that differently, Toppy.

Wally said Tedford endorsed the pick. That is a world of difference from making the pick, or being in charge of the personnel staff, or running the draft, or even running the tryout camps. Part of the process? Of course. Included in stating one's preferences? Of course.

Do you think a guy new to the CFL after decades away will make the first pick in the draft? And that with a staff that evaluates for months.

I recall it very differently.

And do you think a new coach will outrank the GM in bringing in new players? Wally says he tries to bring in the kind of players that Tedford wants.

We see it differently. The GM is more in charge of bringing in players. The HC is more in charge of getting the team ready to play, and he is more in charge of who gets to play, and who gets sent home.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WCJ: You are right that this guy was on the radar likely long before JT arrived as HC. I read this (and I thought other stories quoting Wally - as blaming JT...lol for the pick.

And by the way, if these guys are so good in football how come they'd not be on STs - but it would kill him says McMann.
Ese Mrabure-Ajufo, B.C. Lions

Even Ese Mrabure-Ajufo was surprised to be selected fifth overall. "It came right out of left field," Mrabure-Ajufo told TSN Radio. Thanks to new Lions head coach Jeff Tedford, general manager Wally Buono was swayed in utilizing new scouting methods, such as football analyses for the pick. The choice is intriguing, causing many to wonder why value him so highly, and how he will be incorporated.
This is fine but even his team mates say he has to learn the game... hmmm:
"For Buono, who was encouraged by coach Jeff Tedford to take Mrabure-Ajufo at the draft because the Lions were going to start a Canadian defensive lineman, selecting a practice roster player fifth overall is not a sign of a mistake."
This is a head shaker as McMann says this:
“How shall I say this? He’s too big of a guy,” McMann says. “Ask him to run down on a kickoff, or eight or nine punts in a game, and you’re going to kill the kid.”
And LU says this back in TC:
Ese Mrabure-Ajufo will find work on special teams simply as a first-round draft pick.
And they say this specimen lacks football knowledge??? Didn't anyone think to check or were they enamoured only with his girth as Dorazio might say?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:WCJ: You are right that this guy was on the radar likely long before JT arrived as HC. I read this (and I thought other stories quoting Wally - as blaming JT...lol for the pick.

And by the way, if these guys are so good in football how come they'd not be on STs - but it would kill him says McMann.
Ese Mrabure-Ajufo, B.C. Lions

Even Ese Mrabure-Ajufo was surprised to be selected fifth overall. "It came right out of left field," Mrabure-Ajufo told TSN Radio. Thanks to new Lions head coach Jeff Tedford, general manager Wally Buono was swayed in utilizing new scouting methods, such as football analyses for the pick. The choice is intriguing, causing many to wonder why value him so highly, and how he will be incorporated.
This is fine but even his team mates say he has to learn the game... hmmm:
"For Buono, who was encouraged by coach Jeff Tedford to take Mrabure-Ajufo at the draft because the Lions were going to start a Canadian defensive lineman, selecting a practice roster player fifth overall is not a sign of a mistake."
This is a head shaker as McMann says this:
“How shall I say this? He’s too big of a guy,” McMann says. “Ask him to run down on a kickoff, or eight or nine punts in a game, and you’re going to kill the kid.”
And LU says this back in TC:
Ese Mrabure-Ajufo will find work on special teams simply as a first-round draft pick.
And they say this specimen lacks football knowledge??? Didn't anyone think to check or were they enamoured only with his girth as Dorazio might say?
Enamoured with something, Toppy. Dunno what ...

Seems to me like one of those deals where you outsmart yourself. You think you see something no one else sees. LOL And you are right. No one else sees all that great stuff that you must have imagined.

It would be wonderful if Ese developed. But, as a 1st round pick, it was a head shaker by Wally and his staff.

Daryl Waud was right there. A safe pick. Many others also. We seemed to outsmart ourselves. Wally showed the colour coded chart where they had Ese ranked, right where they got him. That does not make it right. It was still faulty judgment.

Once again, nothing against the young man. He was shocked by his selection. He was not ready for the expectations.

Wally saying he could play STs? Wally saying he could play inside?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If running down a kickoff or 8-9 punts in a game will kill Mrabure-Ajufo, he may want to consider a career change.
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:If running down a kickoff or 8-9 punts in a game will kill Mrabure-Ajufo, he may want to consider a career change.
You could say the same about a lot of o-linemen too . The big guys are not designed to do long flat out sprints , but they do have other values . Mcmann can't be faulted for this blunder . Ese needs to make it as D-linemen then or he's no good to the Team . They should have at least given him some reps when he was on the active roster to see him in action against real opponents . Maybe they don't see that ability in him and would just like everyone to forget him and release him quietly next year. I hope not and would like to see him prove he can play at DE . But we may never see that with the regression we have seen so far.
Some how I never get any real confidence when BC has a high draft pick that it won't be squandered . Everyone else picks the top rated guys available , not BC . Okay we did get Westerman , but that was a few drafts ago. There were top guys available that we could of had , that's probably why this is a sore point with some fans and it doesn't enhance confidence in our GM . Now we a have a practise roster guy with a 5th overall pick .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/pedersen-the- ... nic-demski
Pedersen: The ever-rising star of Nic Demski

Updated: October 06, 2015 01:05 PM

Rod Pedersen

Every now and again - not quite once a decade but close – a player comes along that you just automatically know has “it”.

Smarts, out-of-this-world talent, looks and charisma. You knew from the moment he set foot on campus that your franchise was going to win championships with this guy and sell a tonne of his jerseys along the way.

It was this way in 2006 with Andy Fantuz in Saskatchewan and then just a few years later with Weston Dressler in 2008.

We’ve had to wait a few more years for a generational-type player to come along but in 2015 we found another one.

His name is Nic Demski.

99 per cent of Roughrider fans didn’t even know his name before the May 12 CFL Canadian College Draft but the hardcores knew him from CFL.ca’s draft previews and may have seen him star as a returner/receiver/running back with the University of Manitoba Bisons.

620 CKRM Regina’s draft analyst Luc Mullinder labelled Demski the “Desean Jackson of the CFL” on our shows, referring to the flashy returner of the Washington Redskins.

And then the Riders selected the Winnipeg product with the sixth overall selection in the first round of this year’s draft. Saskatchewan’s football operations department couldn’t believe its good fortune when Demski was still available at six.

At that point Demski’s life changed forever. The 21-year old joined the Rider Nation and he wasn’t prepared for what happened next.

“Just the community to be honest,” Demski smiled. “The fan support from the whole city, it’s crazy. That’s something that blew my mind as soon as I got drafted here. Not even just social media, but when they see you out on the street they recognize you right away. That’s not something I’m used to in Winnipeg.”

Can you imagine if the team was winning? Demski joined the Riders just in time for one of their worst seasons in their 105-year history but the fans are undaunted. Demski’s in the conversation for the annual fan vote of Most Popular Player.

“Exactly! And that’s the thing,” Demski said. “It kind of blows my mind. That support makes me speechless. We’re not just having a losing season, we’re 2-12! They still come to watch practice every day and send you encouraging messages. Honestly it’s not something I’ve ever seen before.”

Demski started slow, injured his shoulder in the Riders’ Week 1 loss to the Blue Bombers but came back strong. He scored his first career punt return touchdown – a 60-yarder – in the Labour Day Classic against Winnipeg and found himself starting at wide receiver every week afterwards.

Demski was mildly scolded internally for hotdogging it on that touchdown return, waving the football in the Bombers’ face and spiking it barely after he crossed the goal line. But hey – he’s young, right? Let the kid have some fun.

Honestly, he’s as valuable as they get. The 6’0’, 215-pounder can start at three positions and he’s Canadian.

“He’s one of those guys that’s a talent man,” advised Rider running backs coach Avon Coburne. “He’s a talent and I’m kind of happy we have him on our team because he’s one of those guys that can pretty much do everything. He has great hands, great agility and we’ve incorporated him into using all his abilities.

“It poses a real threat to defences when we use him out of the backfield because he’s been a running back and catches the ball real well. I talk to him a lot, especially when we use him back there.”

It’s not exactly a rags to riches story but Demski’s is certainly one worth telling. He was a dangerous two-sport athlete at Winnipeg’s Oak Park High School, excelling at hockey and football before settling on the gridiron game.

“To be honest, I knew I was going to go with football right after high school but I kept on with hockey because I loved that sport,” said Demski, who played Junior AA hockey while attending the U of M. “I still miss it to this day. It was a business decision and I just knew that I’d have more fun with football.”

Demski is a common man with uncommon talents. In 2014 he was a fan in the stands at the Banjo Bowl at Investors Group Field, watching future teammate Darian Durant go out of the Riders’ 30-24 victory with injury. One year later, Demski was back at the Banjo Bowl only this time he was on the field in Green and White.

“That was a little crazy!” Demski smiled. “I came in there with some high expectations but even that experience blew my mind. It was cool. I was used to running out the tunnel on the good side but this time I was with the opponent so it was a little different to have people cheering against you. All in all it was a sweet experience. It would’ve been better with a win but the Labour Day game and Banjo Bowl are truly classics.”

Upon being drafted last spring Demski was eager to set down roots in Regina, moving lock, stock and barrel after training camp and immersing himself in the community. He’s one of those cornerstone players the franchise would love to keep around for his entire career but for Nic, his mind hasn’t reached that far yet.

“Obviously this is my rookie year,” Demski cautioned. “Hopefully my retirement date is a long ways away. But hopefully, if things go the way they’re going right now, I have a few good seasons under my belt and they want to keep me around here, and all the pieces fall together, then sure why not?”

That’s music to the Riders’ ears. He’s the future of the franchise.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

99 per cent of Roughrider fans didn’t even know his name before the May 12 CFL Canadian College Draft but the hardcores knew him from CFL.ca’s draft previews and may have seen him star as a returner/receiver/running back with the University of Manitoba Bisons.

620 CKRM Regina’s draft analyst Luc Mullinder labelled Demski the “Desean Jackson of the CFL” on our shows, referring to the flashy returner of the Washington Redskins.

And then the Riders selected the Winnipeg product with the sixth overall selection in the first round of this year’s draft. Saskatchewan’s football operations department couldn’t believe its good fortune when Demski was still available at six.
"Saskatchewan’s football operations department couldn’t believe its good fortune when Demski was still available at six."

#6. Just after us.

For some unknown reason, Wally and his staff went deep, deep off the board, of any other team, except their own in the 1st round. Curious, strange, bizarre decision making. But make sure that everybody on staff signs on to the pick. Wally even showed that our guy was tops on our own board. Tops on our own board? LOL ... Poor judgment. A head shaker. Hey, he is tops on our board. Oh, great. Does that make it a solid pick? Umm ... No. If the entire staff is won over, and endorses the pick, does that make it a great pick? No. I hope somebody on staff spoke against it. All brain washed? Afraid to disagree? Ah well, just go along with it. Perhaps, somebody (Wally?) knows more than anybody else, sees deeper than anybody else, justifying the pick? :dizzy:

At times, Wally's judgment and decision making has some fans shaking their heads. Wally seems to veer from dead solid practical to totally off the wall. At times ... But 20 years running, with lots of success mixed in.

David
Team Captain

Here is a prime example of Wally's sometimes peculiar way of thinking. Listening to this interview on Monday with TSN1040's Sekeres and Price, you just know damn well it was Wally that ordered the roof shut tighter than a duck's ass.

It was a sunny and warm West Coast autumn day (despite his assertion that it was cold), yet he is convinced there is a built-in advantage to a closed roof and would prefer every game to be that way - stuff the fans.

FF to 7:53.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... s-1.372167

It’s the action on the FIELD that determines whether there is noise in the stadium. I’ve been to games where the roof is open and it’s rockin’ and I’ve been to games where the roof is closed and it’s a morgue. The roof itself (open or closed) doesn’t determine noise!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Here is a prime example of Wally's sometimes peculiar way of thinking. Listening to this interview on Monday with TSN1040's Sekeres and Price, you just know damn well it was Wally that ordered the roof shut tighter than a duck's ass.

It was a sunny and warm West Coast autumn day (despite his assertion that it was cold), yet he is convinced there is a built-in advantage to a closed roof and would prefer every game to be that way - stuff the fans.

FF to 7:53.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... s-1.372167

It’s the action on the FIELD that determines whether there is noise in the stadium. I’ve been to games where the roof is open and it’s rockin’ and I’ve been to games where the roof is closed and it’s a morgue. The roof itself (open or closed) doesn’t determine noise!

LOL

He gets a fixed idea, and runs hard with it. He gets attached to his idea. Sometimes he can be shaken out of it, as with results on the field half way through a season (eg Gary Butler, or Craig Roh at DT). He might have some fixed idea about the roof. Maybe he fears rain will make his team fumble. Doesn't matter if it is hot and sunny.

Whatever. But after all his years here, as a public figure, with all kinds of decisions in the books, observers can form some strong impressions about his sometimes seemingly peculiar way of thinking.

I suppose most people have superstitions, etc. that can affect your thinking. As a public figure, the results of those decisions are out there to see.

It seems to me athletes can be very superstitious. Earl Weaver, Baseball Manager, would never step on a basepath foul line.

How about this ... As the one GM who can have every home game played under a dome, he wants to get the maximum benefit from that advantage. LOL. Heck, any team can play in the open air.

Dusty
Champion

I was very disappointed that the roof was closed last game. I have noted however, that since the upper bowl has been draped off, the noise level from fans has increased, whether the roof is open or closed. Methinks the roof is no longer an advantage, rather, the lower bowl shrouds contain and amplifies the crowd noise, at least it seems so from my perspective.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions usually send a postgame survey to season ticketholders asking about our fan experience at the game. I said the game was great but the organization needs to be honest about whether the roof will be open. I got an email from the Lions saying the roof would be open and I dressed accordingly. I didn't see or hear anything about the change of plans before I got to the game.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Roof. The Roof. The Roof.

At the risk of getting off the topic of how we think in making draft picks, some quotes from Wally about how we think regarding the roof.

Sekeres starts by mentioning "annoyances." "Why was the roof closed Saturday?"

WB: "Do you go to the game to look at the stars, or do you look at the stars on the field?"

(He wants the focus on the game, not the weather. He bypasses the fact that the crowd would like to look at the stars between plays, that they would like to experience the outdoors.)

MS: "I like to be outside when the weather is nice."

WB: "It was cool. I was cold." "The club can make a decision on what's best for the fans, and what's best for the game." "In the comfort of a nice, warm stadium." "For it to be open, or for it to be closed shouldn't be the centre of any attention other than what is good for the fans and good for the game."

(His answer is forceful. He has a strong opinion on this. He certainly sounds like it is his decision, for the club, whether to have the roof open or closed.)

MS: "You go for the experience, and sunlight on your face is part of the experience."

WB: "When I got there today, there was so much light. (Sekeres laughing) We're never going to agree on this." "If we can create another home field advantage, let's do so."

MS: "You said you were cold. It was 60 degrees." (Wally wants him to move on to another topic.)

WB: "I was cold. I was freezing. Ever since I had my heart surgery, I am always cold. When that roof is closed, I am the happiest soul in the world." (Wally talks about difficulty of Saskatchewan trying to audible. He is clearly uncomfortable talking about the roof and wants to move on. He mentions that he had to keep his jacket on the entire game.)

My take. It is Wally's decision whether the roof is open or closed. He gives baloney reasons to Sekeres, who says he is hearing bull scheiss, and who asks what the fans want. The real reason seems to be his comfort. He rationalizes the rest.

aklawitter
All Star

It is no doubt louder with a full covered roof to reflect noise back down.

However, I PAID FOR THAT ROOF TO BE OPEN to the tune of $550 mil
David
Team Captain

It's a classic example of "Wally Logic." It goes something like this (if you can follow me here):

A closed roof creates a louder building, ergo it makes it harder on the opposition and creates an advantage for the Lions. As the Lions are likely to play better with this advantage, there's a good atmosphere in the building, ergo they stand a better chance of winning, ergo all fans should come away happy. Case closed.

:dizzy:

Does he care that a lot of people attend for atmosphere and ambience, of which fresh air and sunlight are a part and, while they want the home team to do well, don't live or die by the result? No, I really don't think he sees it that way. Per the above, I think Wally truly believes a closed roof gives the Lions a clear advantage and that's all that matters, regardless of how many people disagree.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:It's a classic example of "Wally Logic." It goes something like this (if you can follow me here):

A closed roof creates a louder building, ergo it makes it harder on the opposition and creates an advantage for the Lions. As the Lions are likely to play better with this advantage, there's a good atmosphere in the building, ergo they stand a better chance of winning, ergo all fans should come away happy. Case closed.

:dizzy:

Does he care that a lot of people attend for atmosphere and ambience, of which fresh air and sunlight are a part and, while they want the home team to do well, don't live or die by the result? No, I really don't think he sees it that way. Per the above, I think Wally truly believes a closed roof gives the Lions a clear advantage and that's all that matters, regardless of how many people disagree.

Re wallyspeak and wallythink ...

In some respects it might be seen as humourous or quaint. Not for fans, however, who want an outdoor experience, in a beautiful stadium, in a beautiful city, which still has lots of beautiful weather.

Whimsical draft picks? Whacked out draft pick thought process? Not amusing to fans that want practicality, solid evaluation and strong drafts. Just because Wally shows the Lions' draft board with our shocking pick at #6 does not make it solid thinking. It makes it look like groupthink and addlebrained thinking.

And, Yes, 26 years with much success.