Free Agent Wish List

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

So the "rebuilding" begins; will the free agent market work better for the Lions this year? Certainly hope so as last year was bit of a letdown.

I was scanning the list of upcoming free agents and a few names jumped out:
-Matt O'Donnell
-Terrarius George
-Dan LeFevour
-Matt Bucknor
-Chris Rwabukamba
-Ben Heenan
-Sean Lemon
-Spencer Watt

There are bigger names out there but I was thinking of where the Lion's need the most help,particularly Canadian content on the O-line and receiving corps. As far as I can see, the only Canadian receiver of note is Watt. Proven Canadian starters on the O-line would, of course be awesome.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks for starting the list CK...is Jeff Garcia a Free Agent???
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

In my view, Dan LeFevour is by far the most significant name on that list. The Lions can't win in 2015 without greater strength at the QB position. Travis Lulay presents a huge problem for the Lions. He has to be considered in the picture, but chances are that he won't be able to make a great contribution next season. Penciling him as No. 1 creates a lot of uncertainty. If he can't go--or can only go for a few games--we're hooped, I think, if all we have behind him are Beck, Partridge, and Rodgers. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't see any of those three as legitimate starting CFL quarterbacks.

As for O-line help, I'm not sure that a great need exists there--although picking up a guy like Ben Heenan would be very nice. I think, though, that we probably have the raw materials for a good O-line on hand, and with good O-line coaching, we could be OK there, with Olafioye, Hardrick, Steward, Norman, and possibly Player, to build around. I think the D-line needs attention, so that Ricky Foley and Terrarius George should be considered.
CardiacKid
Legend

Foley would make an impact on the field but I can't help but question his character. The whole business with signing and then not signing with the Leos when he came back to the CFL and putting it down to "homesickness". Then to sign with the Riders a short time after.
The guy can sign with whomever he wants but I am not a fan. If the leadership vacuum in the dressing room is as sizeable as has been intimated, he isn't the answer.
South Pender
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:Foley would make an impact on the field but I can't help but question his character. The whole business with signing and then not signing with the Leos when he came back to the CFL and putting it down to "homesickness". Then to sign with the Riders a short time after.
The guy can sign with whomever he wants but I am not a fan. If the leadership vacuum in the dressing room is as sizeable as has been intimated, he isn't the answer.
Yeah, agree about the character issue. He has value as a ratio buster, but, as you say, the price in team harmony may be too high.
CardiacKid
Legend

Haven't seen a lot of LeFevour but I have been impressed with what I have seen. His mobility is a big upside, particularly when you think of the struggles with the O-line and Kevin Glenn's feet of clay. He also seems to make good decisions when under centre.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Foley would make an impact on the field but I can't help but question his character. The whole business with signing and then not signing with the Leos when he came back to the CFL and putting it down to "homesickness". Then to sign with the Riders a short time after.
I have serious reservations of Foley wearing the black and orange.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/six-free-agen ... g-anywhere

News item on a slow day.

Not available.
Six free agents that probably aren't going anywhere

Posted: December 10, 2014 07:00 PM

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO -- The list of potential free agents hitting the market in February came out on Tuesday, generating plenty of speculation among fans and media as to who goes where.

It’s early, but this year’s crop features a host of game-changing talent that could single-handedly change a team’s fate in 2015.

While the focus is always on the big names that could move, there are some players we fully expect to stay put. In no particular order, here’s our list of the top six players likely to return to their current team for the next season.

Bear Woods

The Alouettes spent some time waiting for Woods to get healthy and used to the CFL game, and in 2014 they were rewarded in a big way. Woods exploded onto the scene as the league’s second-ranked defensive player overall, averaging just above six tackles per game for a team-high 89 tackles.

After spending three years developing now their most talented linebacker, it’s unlikely the Als will let Woods out of their grasp. Likewise, it’s probably in Woods’ best interest to stay in Montreal, where he’s comfortable in the system and with the players that surround him.

Brandon Banks

Banks is expected to take another shot at the NFL, but building up a CFL career where he can potentially star as an offensive player has to be enticing. He’s already stated that Hamilton is the place he wants to be should he stay north of the border, meaning it comes down to the NFL or the Ticats.

The electrifying 26-year-old is talented enough to land a spot down south, but he has unfinished business in the Hammer and most likely a chance to take on a much larger role.

Stay up to date with the 2015 Free Agent Tracker

Free agency opens on Feb. 10, 2015 and teams are already busy re-signing talent. See who could remain up for grabs and who's been signed with the CFL.ca Free Agent Tracker.

Luke Tasker

The Ticats’ emerging star receiver enjoyed a new level of personal success in 2014, and already has a solid relationship with Head Coach Kent Austin dating back to their time together at Cornell University. It’s hard to imagine Tasker, who makes his off-season home just down the road, leaving Hamilton to play anywhere else.

Tasker likely has the brightest future of any Ticats receiver and you can be sure he’ll be the team’s top priority among several free agent receivers this off-season.

Ricky Foley

It’s eye-opening that the Riders and Foley have waited this long to do up a contract, but maybe not surprising considering the number of free agents the Riders have this season. The team currently stands to lose Tyron Brackenridge and Tearrius George to free agency, but Foley has been more open about his hopes of returning to Regina.

Saskatchewan’s changing defensive situation and potential cap situation could complicate things, however, but for now it looks like Foley should be back in Saskatchewan in 2015.

Odell Willis

The Mayor of Commonwealth enjoyed resurgence in 2014, tying a career-high 13 sacks while wreaking absolute havoc on opposing offensive lines. He thrived under first year head coach Chris Jones’ system, and is likely prepared to settle in on a group that looks poised to deliver a championship in the near future.

Expect big things from Willis in this opportunistic Esks’ defence in 2015.

Nik Lewis

With his role in the Stamps’ offence on the decline and an expiring contract, Nik Lewis’ CFL future is in doubt. But while his offensive production didn’t play a major role in Calgary’s run to the 102nd Grey Cup, his leadership proved invaluable.

From a speculative standpoint, it’s highly unlikely Lewis plays anywhere other than Calgary in 2015. The Stamps should be happy to have his veteran leadership back in the room, while he should be happy to try and win another Grey Cup with right now the CFL’s number one team.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

None of the above. All of those are either don't need or don't want.
Blitz
Team Captain

Foley likely won't be available but I would take him. No one on Toronto, Saskatchewan, or when he played for B.C. questioned his character.

The character issue comes up regarding his signing with Toronto over B.C. and there was a lot of grey in the whole thing. Foley is a ratio buster although he is geting older. The reality is that he would play hard wherever he plays.

I'm not so sure about Dan L. He hasn't been able to secure a starting spot even with lots of opportunity. I think we need to get the best potential starter in here and go with him, even if he hasn't played a pro down. Russell Wilson did it in Seattle, Printers had a great 2004 season and only had 4 pro reps before that season and lulay won a Grey Cup for us in 2011 and he didn't have a ton of reps prior.

You'd have to live with some mistakes early but I think its the best way to go, with Lulay as the backup. The other choice is starting Lulay but giving a rookie potential starter enough reps at training camp, exhibition play, and practices, and being very prepared for a Lulay injury. Its not an easy situation. Wally will want to go with Lulay.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I agree with Blitz on Foley. That 's ancient history and he is older now and I have nothing but positives out of his mouth for several years - all team talk and all positive and when critical it was of the entire team play and himself.

Lefevour is unknown and unless they have a real gem in the current back ups a new HC might have some huge reservations embracing Lulay.

I can't see Marc Trestman type statement like he made on his QB on signing as Bears HC - 'I can't want to get my hands on Jay Cutler' as the Lions new HC might put him out for the season before TC. His last injury was in the warm up!!!

Nik Lewis talk in the media is silly. I think he's too old to go to a new team and make a difference. He is best to return to the Stamps if they want him. He just talks too much of the actual same lines used in the same stories as Dickenson and Hufnagel to make me think they 'd let him go unless they thought he could no longer do his job. Maybe that time is now... Not sure. But at his age and stage of life and how firm he is rooted in Calgary as a community I can't see him being a success elsewhere.
I wonder if he is destined to coach there based on how these 3 all say the same things in the media. I find this unusual for a player to use practically the same words and phrases when they are talking pre-game - Huf. Dick. Lewis. The same spin is what you expect from the coaches. The same ideas usually come from players in different words but with Lewis it seems like he's been discussing this with head guys.

Brandon Banks - NFL bound? I think he'd have more success here. Can't see Hamilton not keeping him making their ST coach look brilliant.

Luke Tasker - he'd a good signing but others note - it is not likely.

Odell W. - not my favourite character.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

I'd take Bear Woods if he were available and wanted to come here. Definitely the last part of our roster that would need a player of his calibre, but would allow us to operate a 3-4 defense. A linebacking core featuring Solly, Biggie, and Woods would be the best linebacking group in league history.
Roar you Lions roar!
South Pender
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:I'd take Bear Woods if he were available and wanted to come here. Definitely the last part of our roster that would need a player of his calibre, but would allow us to operate a 3-4 defense. A linebacking core featuring Solly, Biggie, and Woods would be the best linebacking group in league history.
Yeah, I've posted about the possibility of a 3-4 too. But I thought we could do this with Bo Lokombo as the fourth LB lining up with Elimimian, Bighill, and Hoffman-Ellis, freeing up an international for another spot (safety?). I think Lokombo could develop into a great CFL LB.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:I'd take Bear Woods if he were available and wanted to come here. Definitely the last part of our roster that would need a player of his calibre, but would allow us to operate a 3-4 defense. A linebacking core featuring Solly, Biggie, and Woods would be the best linebacking group in league history.
I don't know....SOL-E has our signature hairdo for the defence (Parks a distant 2nd, IMO), and Bear Woods would give him a run in the hair dept. :wink:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Going 3-4 would be a huge change not just in scheme but personnel. With the sort of impact Woods had for Montreal in the second half of the season he wouldn't come cheap. There's more than a couple of teams who desperately need a true MLB and would be willing to pay significant coin to get someone of his calibre. Winnipeg and Saskatchewan immediately spring to mind as teams with glaring holes in the middle of their LB corps. To go after someone like Woods with the intent of doing to a 3-4 is to go all-in and sink or swim with it. Once you go down that path it can be difficult to switch back mid-season if you find it isn't working. Part of that is because it would mean a revamp of the DL personnel as there is need for some different skillsets and body types for running 3 down linemen vs 4. Bazzie would become redundant for starters as there would be no spot for a 230# rush end in a 3 man front. It may require a change of DC too. Washington may have never played in a 3-4.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.