Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Lowell Ullrich ...

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
Garcia joined the coaching ranks only this season with Montreal, but made it clear to the Winnipeg Free Press that he would like a role beyond that of a quarterbacks coach.

“I want to be a head coach and I don’t necessarily think I need to be a co-ordinator first,” said Garcia, who got his break in pro football in 1994 when he succeeded Doug Flutie at quarterback for Buono’s Calgary Stampeders.

“I understand offence and I’m a leader. If Wally called, I’d definitely listen and be interested.”

Buono was reluctant to comment on the report or on any other candidate when contacted Monday. It was previously reported that the Lions may have interest in Garcia as an offensive co-ordinator.

Having Garcia as a potential head coaching option would give Buono his pick of at least one former Calgary quarterback, after a more experienced offensive strategist, Stampeders offensive co-ordinator Dave Dickenson, positioned himself last week towards staying alongside coach/GM John Hufnagel next season.

The former Lions quarterback, who is just finishing the first of a three-year contract to serve in Calgary as associate coach and heir apparent to Hufnagel, told the Calgary Sun he envisioned returning to the Stamps next season.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not sure if Jeff Garcia will get his wish to be an instant Head Coach. Not saying he could not do it. But not many GMs would give the HC gig to a guy who has not even been an OC.

Again, I am not saying Garcia could not do it. It is "in the box" thinking to automatically write him off, IMO. I could trot out the standard thinking here, but I won't bother.

Garcia has played at the highest level in both the CFL and the NFL. Quarterbacks are pretty much like coaches on the field.

I can't see Wally taking that risky step of hiring Jeff Garcia as the Head Coach.

I would be delighted if we got him as OC.

I don't think Garcia would go for QB coach.

LaPolice and Garcia for the offence? Pretty hard to complain about that on the face of it.

Keep looking Wally. Make a thorough search. All that rides on this choice is the future of the B.C. Lions.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Not sure if Jeff Garcia will get his wish to be an instant Head Coach. Not saying he could not do it. But not many GMs would give the HC gig to a guy who has not even been an OC.

Again, I am not saying Garcia could not do it. It is "in the box" thinking to automatically write him off, IMO. I could trot out the standard thinking here, but I won't bother.

Garcia has played at the highest level in both the CFL and the NFL. Quarterbacks are pretty much like coaches on the field.

I can't see Wally taking that risky step of hiring Jeff Garcia as the Head Coach.

I would be delighted if we got him as OC.

I don't think Garcia would go for QB coach.

LaPolice and Garcia for the offence? Pretty hard to complain about that on the face of it.

Keep looking Wally. Make a thorough search. All that rides on this choice is the future of the B.C. Lions.
One thing is that Wally should know how Garcia comprehends the offensive schemes he has studied under Wally in Calgary. Getting him as OC and LaPolice as HC would at least give the Lions some offensive minded coaches, the remedy that is required to get back on track.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

“I want to be a head coach and I don’t necessarily think I need to be a co-ordinator first.” Wow! Overconfidence, arrogance? Put in one year as a QB coach and you're ready to head up the whole operation. Most would think he needs more time as a position coach before being considered for even a coordinator's position. A HC needs to have management skills--not merely good offensive (or defensive) instincts or experience. He needs to build a highly-functioning management team of coordinators and position coaches and possess administrative and planning/organizing ability. This takes time to develop by spending some time as a lesser component of a coaching team.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I like Garcia's cockiness . There is no chance of Buono stepping outside the box and hire someone with only 1 year's experience in the coaching ranks.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

South Pender wrote:“I want to be a head coach and I don’t necessarily think I need to be a co-ordinator first.” Wow! Overconfidence, arrogance? Put in one year as a QB coach and you're ready to head up the whole operation. Most would think he needs more time as a position coach before being considered for even a coordinator's position. A HC needs to have management skills--not merely good offensive (or defensive) instincts or experience. He needs to build a highly-functioning management team of coordinators and position coaches and possess administrative and planning/organizing ability. This takes time to develop by spending some time as a lesser component of a coaching team.
While I agree with what you are saying, if there was one guy that could be an exception to the above, it would be Jeff Garcia. Garcia overachieved throughout his career and always exceeded expectations wherever and whenever he played.

Still, the best case scenario imo would be LaPolice as HC and Garcia as OC. :cr:
aklawitter
All Star

And there were questions about Benny's inexperience...
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Stranger things have happened, but I'll pass, thanks.
JohnHenry
Champion

No way Garcia is qualified to be a head coach, probably not even at a high school level...after only 10 games as a QB coach. Hiring him as a OC would be a gamble, despite bringing some moxie and over-confidence to the table. The Lions might be smarter luring back Jarious Jackson who at least has a couple years of coaching experience. Garcia said his goal is to coach in the NFL and would likely soon be gone, using the CFL as his "stepping stone" again.
Don Miller
Legend

I would like to see Lapolice as head coach and Garcia as our OC. Let's get Geroy back in the fold here to mend some fences and to coach our receivers. Goodbye to Joe Paopao, McMann and Dorazio. Lets make Kelly Bates our OL coach. Hey we can wish can't we??
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Ravi
Legend

South Pender wrote:“I want to be a head coach and I don’t necessarily think I need to be a co-ordinator first.” Wow! Overconfidence, arrogance? Put in one year as a QB coach and you're ready to head up the whole operation. Most would think he needs more time as a position coach before being considered for even a coordinator's position. A HC needs to have management skills--not merely good offensive (or defensive) instincts or experience. He needs to build a highly-functioning management team of coordinators and position coaches and possess administrative and planning/organizing ability. This takes time to develop by spending some time as a lesser component of a coaching team.
Pinball Clemons was able to do it and I see some of the same qualities in Garcia. I really think that players would love playing for Garcia and would go through a wall for him which is a good starting point. Ultimately his success, as it does with any head coach, would have much to do with who he surrounds himself with on his coaching staff.

If I were Wally, I would take a shot at Garcia as head coach. Sorry but I just don't find Paul Lapolice to be the most inspiring head coaching option out there.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I would definitely if I were GM of the Lions put Garcia as a guy top of mind and get him in to interview about what he 'd do and what kind of coaching staff he would put together,

I think Wally had a good situation with him - likely better than Dickinson IIRC.

This guy just might have it.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Big Time
Champion

Don't like the idea of having someone with this little experience being made head coach. I just don't see Wally going there. Quite frankly, I don't even really like the idea of Jeff Garcia as an offensive coordinator either. Khari Jones was a first year coordinator last year and look how that went? And at least Jones has been in the league forever. Garcia only came back this year. Just can't see that being an improvement.

IMO this team needs veteran leadership in the coaching ranks that commands respect based on their CFL coaching experience. I don't see Garcia fitting the bill at all. Not yet.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The upside of a Garcia HC job would be the connections he also brings to the league down south. After all the years of playing under different regimes, different relationships that he would have formed, he would have instant name recognition which could be very attractive to possible talent looking for a place to play.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
leo4life
All Star

Wasnt Khari Jones a first year OC in Hamilton back in 2011? LU said he was very underwhelming there with similar numbers