Jackson named offensive player of the month

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

And a star is born. The Lions had a game-breaking receiver to potentially replace Geroy right under their noses and they didn't even know it until injuries to Manny and Courtney Taylor. Now Jackson is set to be a FA in 2015 after extensions were given to both Manny and Taylor. Yikes!
Ernest Jackson, Bear Woods, Kendial Lawrence and Antoine Pruneau were named the CFL Players of the Month for October, the Canadian Football League announced today.

The monthly awards include all games played from Weeks 15 to 18.

The four players were chosen by a panel of judges that includes former Canadian Football League players Matt Dunigan and Duane Forde of TSN, and Pierre Vercheval of RDS.

BC Lions wide receiver Ernest Jackson was named the Offensive Player of the Month for October. With Jackson in the lineup, the Lions accumulated a 2-1 record and secured a playoff berth for an 18th consecutive season.

The former University of Buffalo Bull recorded 20 receptions for 438 yards and scored a pair of touchdowns, while averaging a whopping 21.9 yards per reception last month.

Jackson’s standout performance of the past four weeks came in a Week 16 home date against the Ottawa REDBLACKS. He tallied eight receptions for a career-high 195 yards, including a 60-yard touchdown grab in the Lions’ 41-3 blowout win.

Jackson made it back-to-back games with over 100 yards receiving when he caught another eight passes for 149 yards and a touchdown in the Lions’ playoff-clinching Week 18 matchup in Winnipeg.

With his recent surge, the Rochester, New York native has climbed the receiving charts and now sits ninth in the league in receiving yards. Among receivers with at least 30 catches on the year, Jackson leads the group in yards per reception with 16.7.

This is Jackson’s first Monthly award in his three years in the CFL.

Montreal Alouettes linebacker Bear Woods was named the Defensive Player of the Month for October. Woods recorded 24 tackles, three sacks, an interception and forced a fumble as the Alouettes took three-of-three contests in October.

This is the second month in a row that Woods has been recognized as the league’s top defender.

The native of Macclenny, Florida spent the past month matching some of his best ever performances. In Week 16, he matched a career-high with a pair of sacks against the Roughriders. Two weeks later in the nation's capital, he equaled his personal-best of 10 tackles in a single game. In that contest, Woods also came away with his first career interception.

Woods tops the Alouettes with 70 tackles and sits third on the team with seven sacks.

The former Troy University Trojan is in his third season in the CFL and this is his second career Player of the Month award.

Edmonton Eskimos returner Kendial Lawrence was named the Special Teams Player of the Month for October. In the Eskimos’ three October games, Lawrence compiled 423 combined return yards and scored two touchdowns as his team went 2-1.

Lawrence, a native of Rockwall, Texas scored his first touchdown of the month in Week 15 against the Toronto Argonauts. He ran back a Swayze Waters kickoff for 107 yards in the first quarter of Edmonton’s eventual 33-32 setback.

His second major of the month came in Week 17 with the Eskimos visiting Mosaic Stadium. He returned Chris Milo’s opening kickoff of the second half for 96 yards to jumpstart the Edmonton offence en route to a 24-19 comeback victory.

Down the October stretch, the Missouri product returned 12 punts for 82 yards and nine kickoffs for 341.

This is Lawrence’s first career Player of the Month award.

Ottawa REDBLACKS defensive back Antoine Pruneau was named Canadian Player of the month for October. From Weeks 15 to 18, Pruneau registered 22 tackles, a sack and a special teams tackle in the REDBLACKS’ four games.

Pruneau, a native of Montreal, Quebec, had a breakthrough performance in a Week 17 away game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. The first-year player recorded nine tackles, a sack and a special teams tackle in a 16-6 losing effort.

The product of the University of Montreal has had a strong rookie campaign for the REDBLACKS. The fourth overall selection from the 2014 draft has accumulated 62 tackles on the year – good for second on the team. He is tied for third on the team with 10 special teams tackles and his pair of sacks is tied for fifth.

This is the first award of Pruneau’s career.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Good, I was about to rant about the injustice of him not getting OPW for the 2nd time. He deserves this as his numbers are off the chart seemingly out of nowhere. Looks like we may have to add his name to a number of players whose talent seemed to go undetected by the Lion's management.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Good, I was about to rant about the injustice of him not getting OPW for the 2nd time. He deserves this as his numbers are off the chart seemingly out of nowhere. Looks like we may have to add his name to a number of players whose talent seemed to go undetected by the Lion's management.
He looked great out of the gate to me when he first joined the Lions O, but he had a regression even into this season. To me he has/had so much potential that wasn't getting tapped into. The last few games are very unexpected for both him and the Lions O, hope that there is more of this in Jackson than what we saw before. So about time for his numbers, and he certainly deserves PoM and I hope he can get another PoM.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:Good, I was about to rant about the injustice of him not getting OPW for the 2nd time. He deserves this as his numbers are off the chart seemingly out of nowhere. Looks like we may have to add his name to a number of players whose talent seemed to go undetected by the Lion's management.
I wouldn't go so far as to say his talent went undetected as much as opportunity failed to present itself until now. Obviously the Lions saw something there or they wouldn't have kept him around these past 3 years. He seems to have found his calling inside at slot but since his arrival in BC there has been a bit of a logjam at that spot. In 2012 it was Simon and Bruce with Moore filling in when injuries arose. Last year Moore who racked up 1000+ yards and Taylor were manning the slots. With Moore gone not surprisingly they moved Arceneaux into the slot this year with Taylor. When Taylor went down Burnham stepped in. I don't think there was any disappointment amongst Lion fans with Burnham's performance. Until the spate of injuries this year provided opportunity depth of talent has gotten in his way for playing SB. And ratio, especially this year, was a factor in keeping him on the sidelines at WR.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

Yeah, I think that Hambone has nailed it re Jackson. He has tremendous speed (4.5 40) for a big man, and tons of physical potential. It seems to have taken him a while, though, to realize that potential. In his first couple of years here, it seemed to me that he would sometimes forget the play or become distracted so as to fail to make the play. His concentration seems to be better now, and we can look forward to some more big games from him. With Tuinei now in the mix too, we have three pretty impressive international receivers. From combine results, Tuinei is even more impressive than Jackson, with the same 4.5 speed, but much better 20-yard shuttle and 3-cone times--and, of course, an additional 3 inches of height. With Joe Adams also on board, I think we`re really solid at receiver--with some good nationals as well. Our passing game should just get better....
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

South Pender wrote:Yeah, I think that Hambone has nailed it re Jackson. He has tremendous speed (4.5 40) for a big man, and tons of physical potential. It seems to have taken him a while, though, to realize that potential. In his first couple of years here, it seemed to me that he would sometimes forget the play or become distracted so as to fail to make the play. His concentration seems to be better now, and we can look forward to some more big games from him. With Tuinei now in the mix too, we have three pretty impressive international receivers. From combine results, Tuinei is even more impressive than Jackson, with the same 4.5 speed, but much better 20-yard shuttle and 3-cone times--and, of course, an additional 3 inches of height. With Joe Adams also on board, I think we`re really solid at receiver--with some good nationals as well. Our passing game should just get better....
I'm really quite excited about the group of receivers we might have next year. As much as I like Courtenay Taylor I think he will be in tough to return next year. Arceneaux, Jackson, Tuinei, Burnham. They all seem to have a lethal combination of size, speed and athleticism.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
South Pender wrote:Yeah, I think that Hambone has nailed it re Jackson. He has tremendous speed (4.5 40) for a big man, and tons of physical potential. It seems to have taken him a while, though, to realize that potential. In his first couple of years here, it seemed to me that he would sometimes forget the play or become distracted so as to fail to make the play. His concentration seems to be better now, and we can look forward to some more big games from him. With Tuinei now in the mix too, we have three pretty impressive international receivers. From combine results, Tuinei is even more impressive than Jackson, with the same 4.5 speed, but much better 20-yard shuttle and 3-cone times--and, of course, an additional 3 inches of height. With Joe Adams also on board, I think we`re really solid at receiver--with some good nationals as well. Our passing game should just get better....
I'm really quite excited about the group of receivers we might have next year. As much as I like Courtenay Taylor I think he will be in tough to return next year. Arceneaux, Jackson, Tuinei, Burnham. They all seem to have a lethal combination of size, speed and athleticism.
Really on Taylor? He was the head and shoulders goto receiver in the league for 2nd down conversions. I can't see him being replaced, more that he makes a nice compliment for the big play capabilities of the others.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Wasn't Taylor leading the CFL in second down conversions before he got injured? I think he will be hard to replace and I see Arceneaux, Jackson, Taylor as the SBs, with Poblah and Gore as the WR, Tuinei as a DI and Burnham will take over Jackson's role as a healthy scratch, on and off the roster.

At 6'5" and 220lbs. I was kinda surprised that the Seahawks cut Tuinei as he is definitely NFL sized. Now that Harvin is no longer a Seahawk, I wonder if they are saying: "Where is that Tuinei kid that we had in TC?" :wink:
South Pender
Legend

DanoT wrote:At 6'5" and 220lbs. I was kinda surprised that the Seahawks cut Tuinei as he is definitely NFL sized. Now that Harvin is no longer a Seahawk, I wonder if they are saying: "Where is that Tuinei kid that we had in TC?" :wink:
Well, (I think) they have Chris Matthews, at 6-5, 230, on their PR (at least they did have him, although I can't find him on their roster at the moment). He was brought in as a red-zone threat, but hasn't played after the pre-season.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well we certainly can't recycle the old nickname of a former reciever, ACTION JACKSON. Earnest Action Jackson just doesn't sound quite right, IMO. Wonder what his team-mates have in terms of his nickname?

Personally, I'm mildly surprised he got the offensive player of the month NOD. Not saying he didn't deserve it, just surprised he did. I sure hope he continues playing this way as he is certainly helping this team go do somethings I wasn't sure they were capable of doing.
Blitz
Team Captain

Noi need to say much about Ernest....my thoughts regarding Ernest Jackson's talents date back to his first year with our Leos.

I'm just really happy for him and happy for me that I will get to watch him play regularly and our Leos throw to him more.

Well deserved Offensive Player of the Month.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Don't think you have a the QB Receiver connection either as you get Glen Jackson and that has been done already.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Anyone have any idea why EJ now wears Keron Williams's old #9 after wearing #82 before this year? I suppose he wanted #9 all along and took it soon as it became available but I must have missed the story on his reasons for this. His old college # or something like that?

Gets confusing sometimes when players change numbers. He's not the only one. Bighill used to wear 50, now 44; Tim Brown used to wear 35(?), now 7.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

I was big on EJ from the get-go. Just glad to see him get his shot now (I do think he's better suited to slot than WR though). As I understand it, no one was denying his talent, but the early knock on him was his route-running. Amazing to think this guy could still be toiling on the bench were it not for a series of injuries!

As for the Courtney Taylor / Lavasier Tuinei debate, they play two different positions for one (Taylor is a slot receiver, Tuinei is a wideout). But no way would I give up on Taylor yet. He's still a very talented pass catcher. I think we're well set up for next season when Burnham is healthy (and hopefully one or more of our nationals will really step up and seize the starter's role).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar