Lions 28 - Bombers 23 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A team's style or persona is often a reflection of the coach's personality. So when you have a HC who paces the sideline, over reacts and show a lack of disciplined emotions, is not on top of the game clock at the end of half, then it is no wonder that the team takes so many penalties.

MB on the sidelines reminds me of Danny Machocia. But I do think he is a better coach.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:A team's style or persona is often a reflection of the coach's personality. So when you have a HC who paces the sideline, over reacts and show a lack of disciplined emotions, is not on top of the game clock at the end of half, then it is no wonder that the team takes so many penalties.

MB on the sidelines reminds me of Danny Machocia. But I do think he is a better coach.
By your definition then Benevides must be a Dave Ritchie clone. Ritchie's teams almost without exception either led the CFL in penalties or were a close 2nd. The numbers tell a different story. Entering this weekend BC was the 2nd least penalized team for the 3rd least number of yards. Only Calgary (140) had been penalized fewer times than BC (156). Only Calgary (1227) and the Riders (1328) had been penalized for fewer yards than BC (1395). On the other end of the scale Hamilton (190) was the most penalized with Edmonton (1671) surrendering the most yards.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:A team's style or persona is often a reflection of the coach's personality. So when you have a HC who paces the sideline, over reacts and show a lack of disciplined emotions, is not on top of the game clock at the end of half, then it is no wonder that the team takes so many penalties.

Compare Benevides' demeanor with that of O'Shea. Calm and composed on the sidelines.
Rodu
Champion

What has gotten into Jackson lately? It's like the CFL game has just suddenly clicked. Can't hurt that he's been moved back inside. When healthy, we'll have a bit of a log jam at slot with Jackson, Manny and Taylor playing two slot positions and Gore at the third
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Excellent game by the defense, even if they had a bit of trouble containing Cotton. I love that on the last play of the game it was a safety blitz by LaRose that ended the match. May have been a career game for Ianuzzi. I have always liked that guy. Surprised that with all the injuries to our receivers he is only on special teams these days. Norman needs to tighten up. Way too many low snaps. Bene has another brain-fart that may have cost the Lions 4 points at the end of the first. At least he owned it on the post game show, but there have been way too many game management gaffs from him this year. A HC should be getting better with experience yet Bene seems to be going in the other direction.
Blitz
Team Captain

We're in the playoffs and we could still finish anywhere between second and fourth in the West. I sure hope it's the fourth place crossover spot, after watching our Lions play last night. Too many penalties, an offence still struggling to find any consistency, and inadequate coaching in too many areas make the Eastern playoffs much more inviting.

Here are some post game thoughts.

OFFENCE

Once again, as in our last game against Ottawa, our offence was spelled JACKSON. I have been 'earnest' about Jackson's talents since he arrived here. The notion that Jackson has 'matured' and gained 'experience' (in other words our Leos have 'coached him up' is the spin) but Jackson has shown this talent since he was put in the lineup for Kierrie Johnson. He's fast, has great hands, is big and tough and strong, an excellent blocker, and he's also our best weapon for the fly sweep if we ever use him again in that way.

But we've put him on the outside in past seasons and earlier this season (when we did have him in the lineup) and then we basically ignored him. As Glenn said after the game, Jackson just gets behind people, so you have to keep on looking to him.

In the past three games, Jackson has receptions of 34, 41, 40, 60, 48 and 42 yards. in this game, had 145 yards in receiving to go along with his 195 yards last game. Next season we could lineup Arsenault, Jackson, and Taylor in the slots and move Gore outside.

The running game was held in check for most of the game but Antolin had 95 yards in 18 carries, for over a 5 yard average. It's been interesting to watch our Leos use Lumbala a lot, in a pass blocking role, on second downs lately.

Good to see John Beck be able to come in and execute and Poblah, with one reception, gain more yards (plus a touchdown) than he has alll season.

Hardrick was a monster on the offensive line. He was aggressive and dominating. We usually ran the quarterback sneak right behind his butt and Hardrick knocked defensive tackles back on their rears.

DEFENSE

We needed our defense to play some very solid football until our offence not only knocked off its usual rust, as well as the rust of a bye week. Our Leos offence finally got going in the fourth quarter but it required an outstanding anticipation interception by Cord Parks to give our offence the opportunity.

Ryan Phillips, looking more like a safety, while LaRose was out of position, got his 40th interception of his career, for our second defensive turnover.

But it was Khareeem Smith who led the defensive charge of 10 sacks in this game that was our key to our victory. Our defense dominated the Bombers offensive line and Willy was under duress most of the game.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Once again special teams penalties hurt our Leos as McMann's undisciplined units continue to create grief. Marco Iannuzzi, underwhelming as a receiver for the past 3 seasons, showed the return ability that he displayed in college. Iannuzzi looked dangerous and his 92 yard return, called back on penalites, showed his potential as a return man. Iannuzzi, as a National, can really help our ratio in this role.

Antolin made some very good lead blocks for Iannuzzi on a couple of returns.

COACHING

Once again, this game showed the strength of our Leos team is our defense and Mark Washington's defensive unit is the only unit that plays consistently well and utilizes our talents in positive ways.

Offensively, until we broke out with a couple of touchdowns in the fourth quarter, we still went two and out way too often. We've seen great individual game performances this season from tailbacks Andrew Harris, Stefan Logan, and Antolin, from Arsenault, Taylor, and now Ernest Jackson, for two games. We see some outstanding individual blocking from the offensive line.

But offensively, in spite of our talent, we struggle too often, due to the fact that our offensive coaches have not been able to create an offensive scheme that is dynamic or dangerous nor get our offence to play well together as a unit.

The same lack of coaching is apparent on our special teams. We've seen Brown and now Iannuzzi break some big returns but mostly our special teams units look inadequately prepared, even though we also see excellent individual performances on both our return and downfield coverage units.

In previous seasons there was a lot of criticism of Chap using hand signals rather than use the wireless system to the quarterback. Chap liked the signals because he could get the plays in quicker, before the wireless was turned on. We had the least delay of game penalites in the CFL with that system. This season we've taken way too many delay of game penalites on offence and some at very crucial times. There is no excuse for not getting the play in, as soon as the wireless is turned on and after 16 games, we should have figured it out.

We had 22 penalties in this game. While we have not been a highly penalized team this season, we've taken way too many of the stupid penalty type and too many penalties at the wrong time as well.

I also noticed the Benevedes 'ready to do the demonstrative "I love you man" to Beck and instead Beck ran over to Khari Jones instead. I broke out laughing at the time, in a game, in which I had groaned more than smiled up to that point.

WRAP

Knowing that I am going to get to watch our Lions play at least one game in the 2014 playoffs this season made me happy when I heard that final whistle blow.

Knowing our defense is outstanding gives me hope for the playoffs. But watching our offence and our special team units gives me a lot of pause, as well as a sense of frustation to see so much talent being minimized.

But with an excellent defense, anything is possible in the playoffs. We have two games to attempt to determine a final roster for the playoffs and to start focusing on the best way to go into them, scheme wise, on offence.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

Rodu wrote:What has gotten into Jackson lately? It's like the CFL game has just suddenly clicked. Can't hurt that he's been moved back inside. When healthy, we'll have a bit of a log jam at slot with Jackson, Manny and Taylor playing two slot positions and Gore at the third
It helps that he has been given an actual chance to play is what I attribute it to . You can't do a whole lot when you're not in the game , he was demoted to the practice roster by our braintrust and only was "discovered" due to the fact all our starting receivers plus Bryan Burnham all got injured . When he was on the roster before they simply ignored him in games and then decided he wasn't good enough to be on the active roster because he never caught any passes ( that were never thrown to him ) .
Amazing what happens when a guy gets a real chance sometimes isn't it ? In earlier games they only had eyes for Manny and Taylor , the rest may as well have stayed on the bench .
The_Pauser
Legend

Honestly who cares about Benevides composure if he's winning? I saw someone compare him to Mike O'Shea....one coach is playoff bound, the other has lost 8 games in a row. Maybe let's focus on the stuff that matters like coaching decisions? For example, criticizing Benevides for not taking a time out earlier on that final drive in the first half would be legit. I have no clue how they messed that up but what should have been 7 ended up being 3 (and almost ended up being 0).

For the most part of the game I didn't like our offense. Ernest Jackson had a huge game, but he was the only one we were able to make plays with. Edmonton will likely double team him, and then what?

I hope Kevin Glenn isn't hurt badly and is able to suit up for next game, but either way I would probably be giving John Beck the start.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Excellent stuff, Guys.

A few random thoughts ...

When we have played poorly, and that has been fairly often, some have questioned our talent. These last two games have shown us, it seems to me, that we have some outstanding talent.

Huge receiving corps. I do not recall seeing a CFL team that has three Internatioals with the size and athleticism of Jackson, Tuinei and Arceneaux. Virtually impossible to cover man to man with smurf style CFL DBs. A trend in the making? Of course. Football coaches are the true copycats. And we also have the good-sized Taylor and Burnham.

And then the Nationals have talent as well. Gore is game ready. The others, in my opinion, have the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of some amazing Internationals. Iannuzzi. Haidara. Poblah. Adekolu. Some top end raw talent there.

International RBs, IMO, continue to be a deep, talented resource. Throughout the league. And more Nationals coming up. As noted I would like to see what Lochard brings to the game as a running back.

QB. Glenn. Beck. Lulay. Suddenly, with the emergnce of Beck. We look deep and competitive at QB.

O Line. As long as the guys have clarity between the ears, keeping all of it simple, we can be maulers, to use MLF's phrase. Hard Rock is The Mauler. On one angle block, he drove his guy half way across the field. With no escape possible. Keep the damn thing simple. No breaking down to prove a point. No destruction of confidence to rebuild in some personally preferred image.

D Line. Smith, Taylor, Westerman, Menard, all made huge contributions. Bazzie, not so much lately. Time for Lohr to get a look?

LBs. Solo, Biggie and Johnson. :thup:

DBs. Excellent under the coaching of Mark Washington. Even J.R. LaRose is showing good ground coverage. And killer hits.

Phillips leading. Parks. Lee. Williams. And two on IR who start. Yell and Marsh.

Loads of talent throughout. Credit to our scouts and Neil McAvoy. And Wally. And the coaches. Team effort.

Some areas of concern. So we got the guys cranked up. Yes, we were well motivated. Were we always smart? No. A parade of penalties. This is on the HC. Not easy to be both fired up, and yet able to play smart. In the preparation, Benny and his staff pushed the right buttons in motivating the team. But to play smart, the guys have to believe in their systems, and in their coaches, down to the core. No need to stretch too far. No need to try to do too much. No need to cheat on a block. We are vulnerable in this area.

Offensive game planning is still mostly pedestrian, IMO. Nice to see Rolly made into a weapon. He is no cut on a dime, make guys miss, running back. But he is big and strong and can really move once he gets under way. Make the D respect him by having him carry once or twice a game. Detailed prep vs a specific opponent? Not so apparent, it seems to me.

STs? Way too many penalties. Blocking penalties. No yards penalties.

So we are in the playoffs. Personally, I do not care if we will be in the East or West. Just win out.

Can we win it all? Sure. We have loads of talent. Great leadership in the ranks of players. An outstanding defence, led by DC Mark Washington. Suddenly we see huge pressure on the QB. I can almost picture MW with his charges in the classroom. We've kept the blitzes to a minimum so far. Now we unleash the dogs of war. 10 freaking sacks. With our pass coverage, and Solo and Biggie seeking the runners, this group can carry us far.

We have hopes ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jackson has exploded since he was moved inside to the featured slot position previously held by Courtney Taylor. In 3 games at that position, Jackson has racked up 438 yards receiving, almost as many as the 440 yards Taylor racked up in 9 starts at that position (Taylor also started two games at the opposite slot with Arceneaux injured). Jackson has led the team in receiving in all three starts at that position. Taylor led the team in receiving only twice and he didn't have a 100-yard game. Jackson is averaging 149 yards a game. Taylor averaged 49 yards in his 9 games at the same position. Korey Williams and Bryan Burnham also had two starts at that position, but neither had a 100-yard game or led the team in receiving. Burnham's 5 catches for 90 yards against Toronto was the fourth most productive game from that position, behind Jackson's three starts.

I'll admit that at training camp I was among the first to call for Kito Poblah to start ahead of Jackson as wide receiver, a move the coaches eventually made halfway through the season. As others have noted, if the quarterback isn't targeting the wide receivers, it doesn't make a lot of sense to give the position to an international player when another international could be more productive elsewhere. Jackson has always displayed great hands. He is not the fastest receiver on the team. What has elevated his game is his route running and his ability catch the ball in traffic. He's fun to watch. And it's great to see someone who was a bubble player exceed my expectations. Courtney Taylor will have a tough time reclaiming his position if he comes back next year.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:...... And it's great to see someone who was a bubble player exceed my expectations. .....
The fact you'll admit a player has EXCEEDED your expectations only further expands my faith in your predictions coming out of training camp next year.
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Jackson has exploded since he was moved inside to the featured slot position previously held by Courtney Taylor. In 3 games at that position, Jackson has racked up 438 yards receiving, almost as many as the 440 yards Taylor racked up in 9 starts at that position (Taylor also started two games at the opposite slot with Arceneaux injured). Jackson has led the team in receiving in all three starts at that position. Taylor led the team in receiving only twice and he didn't have a 100-yard game. Jackson is averaging 149 yards a game. Taylor averaged 49 yards in his 9 games at the same position. Korey Williams and Bryan Burnham also had two starts at that position, but neither had a 100-yard game or led the team in receiving. Burnham's 5 catches for 90 yards against Toronto was the fourth most productive game from that position, behind Jackson's three starts.

I'll admit that at training camp I was among the first to call for Kito Poblah to start ahead of Jackson as wide receiver, a move the coaches eventually made halfway through the season. As others have noted, if the quarterback isn't targeting the wide receivers, it doesn't make a lot of sense to give the position to an international player when another international could be more productive elsewhere. Jackson has always displayed great hands. He is not the fastest receiver on the team. What has elevated his game is his route running and his ability catch the ball in traffic. He's fun to watch. And it's great to see someone who was a bubble player exceed my expectations. Courtney Taylor will have a tough time reclaiming his position if he comes back next year.
The question now is, is he signed for next season ? Because if he isn't there will be teams interested in him , just like Nick Moore . When all our receivers are healthy we will have dilemma on our hands , and others will be watching . Can't see at least a few of our guys drawing interest from elsewhere , where quality receivers seem in short supply .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:Honestly who cares about Benevides composure if he's winning? I saw someone compare him to Mike O'Shea....one coach is playoff bound, the other has lost 8 games in a row. Maybe let's focus on the stuff that matters like coaching decisions? For example, criticizing Benevides for not taking a time out earlier on that final drive in the first half would be legit. I have no clue how they messed that up but what should have been 7 ended up being 3 (and almost ended up being 0).

For the most part of the game I didn't like our offense. Ernest Jackson had a huge game, but he was the only one we were able to make plays with. Edmonton will likely double team him, and then what?

I hope Kevin Glenn isn't hurt badly and is able to suit up for next game, but either way I would probably be giving John Beck the start.
If you give the game to Beck and Glenn is okay (and based on the play at the end it makes sense - then Glenn looks like toast next year). But maybe the other way is go the Austin way - make a QB change in the game to give the other side a new look rather than this thing about the starter has to play even when failing.

You make a good point about O'Shea having lost those games and there are times I wonder why he isn't a bit more involved but Mike Benevides sideline behaviour even as a DC was never up to my standards for what I know from coaching, playing and observing as a good way for a HC to act. If your manager is like this at work - well many are - and those guys are not respected.

For me the HC sets the tone for the team. How the HC acts in a game will impact his team. If the HC is undisciplined so will his team be that way.

Calgary might be better sideline exampe of HC, OC and DC. Also how they talk about their players when they are hurt vs Benevides.
Example: HC on Cornish who said this guy looks beyond just football. Not ragging on him. MB on Ryan Phillips - I'm HC and I don't care about records for games played in a row and inferring the player was being selfish and was not ready. BUT Ryan P suited up that next game. What a way to turn off players.

HC that rant and rave and yap all the time get to be distractions and players tune them out and listen to their coordinators or no one. It leads to missed decisions.

A HC has to be plays ahead of the calls to be ready for those moments they need to challenge rather than to be so in the moment all the time he reacts like a fan. A good example for me in my own coaching is my immediate response to a goal going in our net. Players know exactly what we might do if we go down a goal as I decide immediately if we go 3 at the back push a MF up behind the Strikers and change the attack until we get it back. If I'm running around chest bumping and hi-fiving guys I'm not doing my job. Benny is too much of a cheer leader .

lions are taking too many undisciplined penalties and don't always look like they are together.

Even Wally said he didn't like their practice effort. That was a dump on his HC as that is who sets the tone.

Mike was chest bumping to start. Now gone. Someone must have spoke to him how childish that looked.

Someone noted Ritchies team's took the most penalties. Interesting fact I didn't know but there is a a guy who is good on the sideline. I was aware from the 1994 GC player reports in the media that that team that won the GC was brawling and battling - each other.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions losing 13 seconds before half time is inexcusable. For a moment there I thought Damon Allen was playing quarterback.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:Lions losing 13 seconds before half time is inexcusable. For a moment there I thought Damon Allen was playing quarterback.
I think Ottawa did something similar earlier in the season. At the time I remember thinking, ok rookie HC gets a mulligan for not being on top of things. Unfortunately, Coach Benny is several years removed from being a rookie HC but is still not on top of things and has an undisciplined team. :bang: