TiCats 19 - Lions 17 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Benevides sound very down in the post-game interview. Told his team after the game to keep fighting. Has to find a way to score. Said that there was confusion on the 2nd safety. The intent was to punt but there was a mix up in communication.
On a personal level I have sympathy for Benevides, as a person. He is a decent guy. But he wanted the job, and he got the job. It ain't no picnic being a football coach at any level. Look at the intensity on the faces. Austin. Benevides. At least Austin has a filing cabinet full of credentials. And he was not appointed by a mentor, not doing a long, hard, demanding, high standards, search for a successor.

As I indicated Benny's guys played hard. OK. Is that enough? No. Austin and Condell and Steinauer had terrific game plans. For us, Mark W had a decent one, but Collaros racked up huge yardage. Khari had trouble moving the ball. Anemic ground game. Pop gun passing game. And he can thank his O Line coach for lots of pressure on Kevin Glenn. With Beck in there, I think it might have been a shambles. Meanwhile Austin has had great results from both LeFevour and Collaros. Austin is building QBs. That time seems to be in the past for our Lions.
Austin has assembled a good group of coaches and his talent selection looks superior to that of BC as the Cats are showing depth.

Just how the coaches work on the sidelines is different (although Austin is fiery) to the Lions where it seems all over the place reflecting the Lions HC. Steinhauer really looks organized and in synch his guys and Condell a study in the booth that shows he's thinking the game.

http://www.ticats.ca/page/eric-tillman

I see Eric Tillman has a new role too:

"Eric Tillman was promoted by the Tiger-Cats to Director of U.S. Scouting and U.S. Pro Personnel in 2014 after working as a consultant with the team in 2013. "

http://www.ticats.ca/page/coaches

Benny set a goal for 180 days for his coordinators and he to kick it into high gear. Unfortunately that date meant it will be after Grey Cup - a game that Benny can only go to if the Lions give him a ticket.

This is just another boring Lions team like they were until Pierce and Logan arrived as not much excitement other than the DEF flying around - note Phillips played well since being called out for wanting to play hurt over help his team... and he did play last game too.... so much for Benny's call out as he did play that prior game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:You mean this wasn't a shambles? 10 points on Offense is a shambles in my book.
LOL ... Shambles? Oh we've seen shambles. Multi interceptions. Mass confusion. Kevin Glenn is a smart pro, who reads quickly and releases quickly. I have a feeling Beck might go "deer in the headlights" for us. That can turn into a shambles. Glenn controlled the ball, and managed the game. It was not enough, given how little help he gets.

Horrible, boring offence, but IMO not a shambles. Brothers. Moorhead. Remember when Don Moorhead lateraled directly behind himself, and nobody was there. LOL He didn't even look before or after. That was a shambles. I can't believe I went to those games.
On a personal level, I don't think anybody wants to see any of the coaching fail but the fact is that it is failing and the failure seems too be picking up momentum. At this rate, the Lions are in very real danger of missing the post season and it is far from certain that there will be a crossover spot with the way the eastern teams appear to be picking it up.

Still got a shot at the East, methinks. But we hardly deserve it. Our players deserve it though.
I'm sorry for being hard on Mr. Benevides but the facts are the facts, this team has gone steadily downhill since he took over.
Oh yes.
Wally is as responsible as anyone for hiring based on criteria other than merit. It reminds me of unions somewhat that promote on seniority over skills. He has put people in positions that they were either not ready for or not qualified to hold.
We see it much the same way, Sir P. Perhaps how we see a "shambles" might be a difference. LOL Plus I still enjoyed the game. Very intense. Was a time for a few years, I could not even watch. Too much emotion.
MexicoLionFan wrote:I love your game long comments Joe, they are a treat to read...please continue with them. Another great effort by the D (without much of a pass rush I might add), but poor S Ts and a hideous offence. The best thing that can happen to this team in the long run is to keep losing and make some serious changes...our coaching, wow...
You are welcome, MLF.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I hear the Lions are coming out with their own brand of computer keyboard. Check it out:

Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
K. GLENN 19/33 188 0 0
E. ARCENEAUX 1/1 17 1 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
K. ANTOLIN 6 39 0 10
E. ARCENEAUX 5 23 0 10
E. JACKSON 4 94 0 41
S. HAIDARA 2 22 0 16
S. GORE 2 21 1 17
K. POBLAH 1 6 0 6

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
K. ANTOLIN 9 23 0 7
J. BECK 4 7 0 2
S. GORE 1 3 0 3
K. GLENN 1 1 0 1

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 1/1 27 2/2 5

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. SCHMITT 9 40.8 289 61

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
B. RANDLE 3 9 3.0 9 0
M. IANNUZZI 2 6 3.0 3 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. SCHMITT 4 243 74 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
B. RANDLE 2 35 17.5 19 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. LAROSE 7 0 0 0
S. ELIMIMIAN 6 1 0 0
A. BAZZIE 6 0 0 0
R. YELL 5 0 0 0
A. BIGHILL 5 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 4 0 0 0
C. PARKS 3 0 0 0
T. LEE 3 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 1 1 1 0
J. WESTERMAN 1 0 0 0
D. MENARD 1 0 0 0
K. SMITH 1 0 0 0
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
Z. COLLAROS 27/43 367 0 1
B. BANKS 0/1 0 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
M. MADU 6 86 0 22
B. BANKS 6 56 0 25
A. FANTUZ 5 65 0 22
B. GRANT 4 90 0 29
S. GIGUERE 3 39 0 26
L. TASKER 2 28 0 23
T. SINKFIELD 1 3 0 3

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
M. MADU 11 56 0 14
Z. COLLAROS 4 6 0 4

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
J. MEDLOCK 5/5 42 0/0 15

Punting NO AVG NET LG
J. MEDLOCK 7 33.6 220 61

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
B. BANKS 3 53 17.7 36 0
T. SINKFIELD 1 25 25.0 25 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
J. MEDLOCK 3 166 64 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. SINKFIELD 3 92 30.7 52 0
S. GIGUERE 1 24 24.0 24 0
B. BANKS 1 5 5.0 5 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
S. LAWRENCE 7 1 0 0
T. REED 5 0 0 0
D. MURRAY 5 0 0 0
C. STEPHEN 4 0 0 0
E. HARRIS 4 0 0 0
B. HALL 4 0 0 0
B. STEWART 3 0 0 0
J. HICKMAN 1 1 0 0
E. NORWOOD 1 0 0 0
M. BOWMAN 1 0 0 0
C. BUTLER 1 0

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BC
Passing (comp/att/yds) 20/34/205
Receiving (rec/yds) 20/205
Rushing (att/yds) 15/34
Total Yards 215
Sacks Allowed 2
Turnovers 2

Hamilton
Passing (comp/att/yds) 27/44/367
Receiving (rec/yds) 27/367
Rushing (att/yds) 15/62
Total Yards 409
Sacks Allowed 2
Turnovers 2

cromartie
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:The check down play on 2nd and long is driving me crazy. Hey Khari...when it's 2nd and 10, have at least one receiver run an 11 yard pattern. :tp:

PS: I think I miss Chappy. :shock:
Questions to ask in that situation.

Is anyone at the sticks open?
Is the actual play design a screen or an outlet/check down, and is that pass the designed play?
Does Glenn have the time to do anything else?
Does Glenn have the arm strength to make the throw?

That's the maddening thing, I would bet you that if you have that happen five or six different times, it's something different every time.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Bosco wrote:The check down play on 2nd and long is driving me crazy. Hey Khari...when it's 2nd and 10, have at least one receiver run an 11 yard pattern. :tp:

PS: I think I miss Chappy. :shock:
Questions to ask in that situation.

Is anyone at the sticks open?
Is the actual play design a screen or an outlet/check down, and is that pass the designed play?
Does Glenn have the time to do anything else?
Does Glenn have the arm strength to make the throw?

That's the maddening thing, I would bet you that if you have that happen five or six different times, it's something different every time.
And the check down on third and long on the last series came after Haidara and Adekolu dropped potential first downs on the two previous plays. The Lions completed 20 passes tonight, 15 of them to the RB and two international slots. They threw more passes to the national receivers this wek but too many of them were incomplete.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I hear the Lions are coming out with their own brand of computer keyboard. Check it out:

Hilarious is too subtle. Post of the Year material. :cheer:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: And the check down on third and long on the last series came after Haidara and Adekolu dropped potential first downs on the two previous plays. The Lions completed 20 passes tonight, 15 of them to the RB and two international slots. They threw more passes to the national receivers this wek but too many of them were incomplete.
Yes. There was lots of time left when we got the ball late in the game. Something like 1:53. If those balls were not dropped, who knows?

I would suggest that we have not built much of an offence. (There is an understatement. LOL) We have not built confidence in our National receivers. We do not seem to integrate them into the offence. So how can we expect them to perform in the clutch when we barely throw to them throughout the game?

And as noted many, many times, Khari has to rely heavily on his O Line coach for pass protection, run blocking and even run game planning.

In Blitz's keys to the game, I think I commented that Mark W would have a serviceable game plan. I think that happened. Bend but don't break.

And I think I commented that the outcome would depend on if Khari had a good game plan on offence. I don't think anybody would say we did. And yet Kevin Glenn had a shot at the win at the end. Dropped passes and then fizzle. I have great sympathy for Glenn. He is a pro. IMO we would be much, much worse off this year if we did not have him. Much worse.

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I concur with MexicoLionsFan WCJ. Your posts are always enjoyable. I have decided that your definition of shambles is equal to my "uber shambles". We can consider it a dialect issue :good:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I concur with MexicoLionsFan WCJ. Your posts are always enjoyable. I have decided that your definition of shambles is equal to my "uber shambles". We can consider it a dialect issue :good:
LOL

Thank you, Sir P.

Shambles? You want shambles? We can give you shambles. That is total collapse. When Eagle Keys after the game was reduced to saying: "We stumbled, bumbled and fell down."

It is all good. :thup:

dat
Rookie

Wow. Another horrible game watching the Lions pathetic O. Leos start the second half with a gain of 7 or 8. A decent offence should be be able to run a curl or comeback pattern for a few yards. Instead they run a crossing pattern a yard deep and Arcenaux gets cut down. What a ridiculous play. However they surprised me with a trick play for a touchdown. However this kind of imaginative play has been shown few and far between this season. Special teams terrible again, no returns and big returns for Hamilton. As well as the the D has played an upgrade of the pass rush is needed. Bazzie ha played well but at 255 you will be knocked around. These days there are no O linemen under 300 pounds. Bazzie is making tackles on athletic ability but you can see him getting knocked around on replays. The Leos in the glory days with their front four of Quick Parker, Hebeler, Klassen and others were able to get interceptions, sacks and losses due to the pass rush. In regards to the O again one TD in four quarters of play. We must be approaching a record for ineptitude regarding a season with the least TD`s scored. I`ve been watching the Leos since I was a kid in the seventies. I cant remember the offence being more pathetic. I`ve been to a few games every year in the past five years but can`t imagine myself going for awhile until they fix this offence. Sorry Wally. I don't want to spend my money to watch a field goal.

DAT
Ravi
Legend

What stuck out for me in the stats is Antolin's 9 carries for 23 yards. The Lions must have a rushing game to open up the passing game. They had no rushing game on Saturday night and were consequently in second and long far too often which allowed the Ticats' defence to easily defend the pass. IMO, the lack of a running game on Saturday night and too many other nights has been the crux of the Lions' offensive woes this season. Is that a personnel or coaching problem or a bit of both?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

14 games into the season the Lions finally have a trick play with Manny throwing a TD pass. AND THAT IS IT. No sustained offence...nothing. :puke:

The lions might back into the playoffs but I am fully confidant that if that happens they will have no problem maintaining coach Benny's purrfect playoff loosing record.

The Lions need to hire a O consultant to help Khari Jones who is in over his head, but is there anyone available? :bang:

The Lions need to fire O line coach Dorazio, but is there a replacement available? Yes, Kelly Bates is already on the coaching staff, but Teflon Dan Dorazio is a tenured coach with the Lions and cannot be fired. :bang:

I don't know if the coaches have "lost" the players, but if they don't figure out how to play offence then they are in grave danger of loosing the fans. No one in their right mind will continue to pay $ to watch this snore fest offensive offence.

Imagine Braley trying to get big bucks for selling the Lions when the season ticket base falls below 10k next year. :shock: