Argonauts 40 - Lions 23 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Ryan Phillips said in the post game that the Lions didn't adjust to what the Argos were doing. ...
Great stuff, Guys. So many great observations. MLF. BCF. So many wise, long time fans. It is a long list.

It is interesting how there are no secrets in football. And yet, superior coaches find ways to neutralize strong players on the opposing side. Bighill was neutralized. Bazzie was neutralized. Solo was made to run his legs off.

Our run game was not really neutralized. But getting a lead influenced us to try the passing game more. Great pressure was put on Glenn.

And their key players were put in position to succeed. Ray. Owens. And the two running backs.

Our lack of discipline? Penalties? On the coaching. Benny says he will fix that. But ... The horses are out of the barn.

Overall performance ... Sloppy.

"careless and unsystematic"

"marked by a lack of care or precision"

"imprecise or loose"

From my keys ...

* We did not establish a dominant run game.

* We did not pressure Ray enough to affect him. He sliced us up very efficiently.

* Our coverages gave him no trouble.

I only recall seeing one or two clear angle blocking plays. I was not focusing on watching for it.

As I said above, our game plans seemed very pedestrian to me. Formula. Vanilla. All purpose. One size fits all.

How did Toronto do normal stuff and catch us in vulnerable positions? Well that is the magic of superior coaching. Taking advantage of tendencies. This is where detail counts. At just the right time they knew how to set up Owens, with a nearly impossible assignment for Johnson to cover him, for Ray's favorite pattern. And LaRose unable to get there to help. Simple but powerful plan, taking advantage of a vulnerability.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'm normally one to pop on here and tell you the coaches are the problem.

I don't really think that was the case last night, at least, not to the extent that it usually was. I saw some different things from the offense, especially early. Cody Husband as a sixth offensive tackle. Ianuzzi lined up in tight. Better use of the slot receiver. Different types of draws.

What I saw was an undisciplined team that failed to execute, fell behind early, had to abandon the run game, ended up continually losing the field position battle (in part because the defense played better in the second half) and then had the wheels came off in all three phases of the game.

I'll also dispute the notion that Toronto went into the prevent early in the 2nd half. They were regularly blitzing six and seven guys well into the fourth quarter, when we were in the spread.

Sometimes, you're outcoached because someone walks in with a better plan than you. Sometimes, you're out coached because you have a good plan, but players screw it up and you have to abandon it. I think last night was a case of the latter. For a change, this was a good enough game plan + superior talent formula to beat the Argos if the players execute it and play disciplined...and they did neither. We don't walk in with that every week, or even most weeks, for that matter.

I'm as not encouraged at this team's prospects as the rest of you, but I do think last night was on the players moreso than the game plans. (The Owens TD, for one example, occurred because Cord Parks misjudged the depth of the pass and put himself in a bad position against Owens in the end zone). Except for punt return blocking, which stinks, and has stunk for as long as McMann has been here, due to scheme.
Rodu
Champion

Apart from our three sacks, we didn't bother Ray to much, and he's the last Qb you want to give time to
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions are going to have a game like this through the season, the real problem is that they have too many (Montreal and Riders), and got away with one vs the REDBLACKS. They often seem to happen once the team is progressing to the point of an elite team. The Stamps played a game like the Lions against this same Argo team last week, yet were able to comeback. Why, their O is capable of turning it up. That allows the D to find that extra gear having some rest and inspiration due to their offense waking up. Lions not so much. If the Lions D doesn't hold the Lions O in the game from the get go, it is game over.

That Montreal game is the game that is going to bite us for a home playoff date. Who knows, we may have one or two more efforts like this left to suffer through still. Way too much talent on the D side to have a two and out O burn away points in the standings.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

BCFAN, EDM and TOR both have demonstrated how to exploit the Lions D, and that force Sol and Biggie to cover sideline to sideline, which simply burns them out...look at Bighill last night, how many times did he just miss making plays...he normally makes those, but he was a step slow all night having to cover Owens...similar for Sol.

Cro, the Argos did drop into a VERY vanilla, prevent defence by late in the 3rd quarter...they just kept running blitzes every time Jones ran those empty backfield sets because WE CAN'T STOP THEM! That's coaching. And Washington may have had a wonderful game plan entering the game (seemed the same old to me) BUT ONCE BEHIND (fair or not) what did he do to ADJUST? Nothing...the Lions got burned trying to blitz two plays in a row early in the 4th quarter and Washington backed right off...How can that be his decision when we were down by 3 scores??? On Offence, if not for some brutal calls in our favour in the 4th, we probably wouldn't have scored against the Argos who were GIVING AWAY PLAYS left, right and centre...our offence has serious problems and its not because of Kevin Glenn, Andrew Harris, Jevon Olafoye, Manny Arceneaux and Burnham...they are a poorly coached group, across the board.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I have tickets to the remaining home game this season and I can honestly say right now that I am not looking forward to them. I usually highly anticipate a new season and lament the end of one but if this trend continues, I don't think the end of the year will come soon enough for me. I am really starting to believe that a clean sweep of the coaching staff is going to be required before the house will eventually be put in order. That may also mean a different GM. I don't want to be disloyal to Wally. I remember well what this team was like before he came but I also wonder if we are seeing the long term effects of the loss of Bobby Ackles. Wally allegedly used Bobby as a sounding board about many things and without his guiding influence, we seem to have flirted with mediocrity constantly. It might be just the loss talking but I see little to be cheery about with this team going forward. We seem to be slowly descending from a premier team (don't think we are one now) and each year the problems seem to be a little more widespread. Wally has long carried the label of being somewhat inflexible and slow to react. It for all the world appears as though he has managed to train his coaching replacement too well in that regard. If a house cleaning were to occur, I fear that Wally might be inclined to replace that house with another that also tends to reflect his methods both the good and the bad.
It is a glass half full/half empty scenario. You can't argue with his success but at the same time you can't argue some of the failures either. How many on this board thinks that we probably should have had 1 or 2 more grey cups under his tenure? A majority I'm guessing. A case of potential unrealized and that seems to be the case with this team as well. We have some good players, maybe some great players but they are languishing under a regime that seems unable to address obvious weaknesses and has had a history too of missing opportunities or at least taking too long too recognize them.

I know when things are bad, the first instinct is to say "clean house". The team tried to be selective in it's surgery last year but maybe it is time to have the entire organ out. We have gone from a Grey Cup in 2011 to possibly missing the playoffs and having a losing record at home. The football is boring, the execution is poor and depending on your point of view, the staff seems to be a step behind most other staffs in the league presently. What's more, the fans are starting for the exit. I don't own seasons (but have still attended about half the games). You take the good with the bad but at some point the bad appears to have evolved into something systemic and not just a blip. That is how I am feeling about this organization at the moment. I see some already saying that they will have consider about spending their money on this team next year (honestly, we probably all do that every year to some degree) and I am in that pot as well. I'm not sure I can endure another Mike Benevides coached team. As I said, maybe it is just the sting of another brutal loss talking but deep down, I really don't believe it. I do with all earnestness hope that I am wrong.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
JohnHenry
Champion

Most games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. If the OL can't open holes for the running game or adjust to the defensive formations (i.e. double-teaming one DL while leaving another free to rush up the middle)...along with hit and miss pass blocking from the RB's (and pretend TE's), it's hard for the offence to move the ball. There always seemed to be a tackler right on the RB as soon as he got the ball.

It's hard to criticize our defence, which probably has the best stats in the league. The Argos came in ultra-motivated after their humiliating collapse in Cowtown, the Lions coming off a short week with only one day of practice...lacked an edge to their game (except for T. Williams). Using Bighill as the lead-man on kick coverage teams, then expecting him to lineup on the next play at LB, might be asking too much.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Laughter is the best medicine.

I had a very good laugh reading this article, and the comments ... Sorry, it is about hockey. And it is about the Leafs. But it lightened my mood immensely, after another disheartening loss by the Lions.

John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

You watch, THERE WILL BE A STRONG effort probably leading to a close game (if not a WIN) this week versus Calgary. Based on the game yesterday, I know, it makes no sense. But, on the road this team is the kind of team that seems to be worth paying for a ticket to watch. At BC Place? Not so much.......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Until last night, every team in the league except Tor had notched at least one win in Vancouver since 2010 (except Ott of course who haven't played here yet).

This was the first Argos win here since 2002, ending an 11-game losing streak. I recall that was a close game, down one with Kellett missing a GWFG at the end, and Prefontaine leaping at the back of the endzone to catch the ball and boot it back out, averting a game-tying rouge. Kellett was lost by that point, fumbled around with it before the Argos scooped it up and turned a 1-point loss into an 8-point loss.

Oh, if only last night had been so close. Our lack of execution at the end in 2002 seemed to be evenly spread over the whole evening.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Cam Cole of the Vancouver Sun looks on the bright side of the game: The Argo win was good for the league and the CFL East. He also neatly breaks down the series of B.C. errors that led to the Argo victory.

Cam Cole: CFL East shows signs of life as Argos beat up on Lions

I don't know why the Lions are a better road team (4-1) than home team (3-4) this year. I know they'll be motivated to redeem themselves in Calgary next week. Perhaps having four of their last six games on the road will be good for them.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I have tickets to the remaining home game this season and I can honestly say right now that I am not looking forward to them. I usually highly anticipate a new season and lament the end of one but if this trend continues, I don't think the end of the year will come soon enough for me. I am really starting to believe that a clean sweep of the coaching staff is going to be required before the house will eventually be put in order. That may also mean a different GM. I don't want to be disloyal to Wally. I remember well what this team was like before he came but I also wonder if we are seeing the long term effects of the loss of Bobby Ackles. Wally allegedly used Bobby as a sounding board about many things and without his guiding influence, we seem to have flirted with mediocrity constantly
I share some of your pessimism Sir P but I'm starting to think we're reaching the point where we have to put the Ackles years behind us. I'm not trying to single you out for this; many of us, even myself, many times have invoked his absence as part of what has ailed this team in recent years. No mistake he's missed but had he lived he would have turned 76 on Tuesday, so I'm not sure he'd still be on the job at this point to keep the engine purring. This slide was probably going to happen anyway; his death while he was still President merely accelerated the process.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:.....I am really starting to believe that a clean sweep of the coaching staff is going to be required before the house will eventually be put in order. That may also mean a different GM. I don't want to be disloyal to Wally. I remember well what this team was like before he came but I also wonder if we are seeing the long term effects of the loss of Bobby Ackles.
I'm with you brother. If I owned the team, I'd keep Neil McEvoy, Kelly Bates, Johnny Holland, (Mark Washington - although I am not sold on him a D-coordinator at this point but recognize that he's new), retain Wally in a consultant's role, and pay to make the rest go away.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:.....I am really starting to believe that a clean sweep of the coaching staff is going to be required before the house will eventually be put in order. That may also mean a different GM. I don't want to be disloyal to Wally. I remember well what this team was like before he came but I also wonder if we are seeing the long term effects of the loss of Bobby Ackles.
I'm with you brother. If I owned the team, I'd keep Neil McEvoy, Kelly Bates, Johnny Holland, (Mark Washington - although I am not sold on him a D-coordinator at this point but recognize that he's new), retain Wally in a consultant's role, and pay to make the rest go away.

Would WB be content to be demoted from GM/VP to merely a consultant? Would he rather leave altogether?
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:

I hear you, but that is a lot of positions to fill, so you better put some available names in the key positions at least.
Entertainment value = an all time low