Courtney Taylor - done for the year

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

News1130 reported this afternoon that Courtney Taylor's foot injury sustained in the Winnipeg game will require surgery and he will miss the rest of the year. :bawl: Taylor was 2nd in receiving yards for the club this year.

His roster spot will likely be taken by Bryan Burnham but I can also see the team moving Ernest Jackson from wideout to the slot position. I sure hope that the club's extensive NFL scouting will yield someone else to be brought in for depth.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Damn not good news. He was our go to receiver.
ballhawk
Legend

Sorry to hear about Taylor's injury. A great contributor to the team. How is it possible that Jackson may not be dressed when he has twice as many yards as the other two wide-outs combined (298 vs 103 + 37)?
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
Rodu
Champion

ballhawk wrote:Sorry to hear about Taylor's injury. A great contributor to the team. How is it possible that Jackson may not be dressed when he has twice as many yards as the other two wide-outs combined (298 vs 103 + 37)?
ratio
ballhawk
Legend

Ratio, maybe - but Burnham has 0 yards receiving and no regular season game experience.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
pennw
Legend

ballhawk wrote:Ratio, maybe - but Burnham has 0 yards receiving and no regular season game experience.
Hard to get alot of yards on the practise roster . Lots of players start off on the PR and get their chance when there's another guy injured . Why would this be any different ?
pennw
Legend

Sounds like Adekolu gets his first game on the roster , I see he's been moved to the active roster . Surely he could contribute more than Poblah or Ianuzzi .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:Just announced that Courtney Taylor is gone for the year with a foot injury. Having surgery on it.
That is a shame. He was playing so well. Very reliable.

Heal well, Courtney. You are a mainstay now with the Lions. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

Rodu wrote:
ballhawk wrote:Sorry to hear about Taylor's injury. A great contributor to the team. How is it possible that Jackson may not be dressed when he has twice as many yards as the other two wide-outs combined (298 vs 103 + 37)?
ratio
No ratio issue, as Taylor is listed as an "I", therefore anyone of Jackson or Burnham could replace him. It has more to about Burnham being prepared to take on a slot position.

It is Haidara that has to have an "NI" to replace him, and Adekolu fits that bill.
Entertainment value = an all time low
leo4life
All Star

Saw Taylor a couple days ago you could tell then the way he was limping it didnt look promising....would like to see Burham instead of Jackson to see what he can do however Benny may want EJ's experience in another "must win"
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Got injured on such an innocent looking play
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC has tended to practice their backup and PR INT receivers in specific positions. For the last few years Paris Jackson was given the "jack of all trades" role as the guy who was familiar with all positions. Listening to Paopao recently it sounds like Haidara was being groomed to fill that role. The thing with INT positions is that due to ratio when a player gets activated he's usually going from PR to starting position. It's essential that he knows that position very well. When E.Jackson has played he's played WR or been backing up the WR. It would appear that Burnham has likely been spending his time learning the slot to be next man up should Taylor go down thus may be a bit ahead of EJ when it comes to playing SB. I am intrigued to see Burnham and have been since training camp. In the two days I watched TC he looked very good and was catching everything in sight. There gets to be a point where the club wants to see what these guys who have been languishing on the PR all season long can do. Taylor's misfortune finally gives them that opportunity with Burnham.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Looking forward to seeing Stephen Adekolu gets some reps. Preseason is preseason. You can't put a whole lot of stock in performances. But good things just seemed to happen when he was on the field. He made a couple of spectacular catches (I recall one at like a 45 degree angle while keeping a foot in bounds!). I especially like his height - Glenn can just throw it up there and Adekolu can catch it at its highest point.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
BC has tended to practice their backup and PR INT receivers in specific positions. For the last few years Paris Jackson was given the "jack of all trades" role as the guy who was familiar with all positions. Listening to Paopao recently it sounds like Haidara was being groomed to fill that role. The thing with INT positions is that due to ratio when a player gets activated he's usually going from PR to starting position. It's essential that he knows that position very well. When E.Jackson has played he's played WR or been backing up the WR. It would appear that Burnham has likely been spending his time learning the slot to be next man up should Taylor go down thus may be a bit ahead of EJ when it comes to playing SB. I am intrigued to see Burnham and have been since training camp. In the two days I watched TC he looked very good and was catching everything in sight. There gets to be a point where the club wants to see what these guys who have been languishing on the PR all season long can do. Taylor's misfortune finally gives them that opportunity with Burnham.
This. Emmanuel Arceneaux made the move from outside receiver to slot in the offseason, but such a position switch is rare. Burnham, like Korey Williams and Nick Moore before him, has been groomed as a slotback. He's beeen practising as a slotback for nearly four months for just this opportunity. I expect him to be given at least a couple of games to establish himself. I hope he comes through.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Rodu wrote:
ratio
No ratio issue, as Taylor is listed as an "I", therefore anyone of Jackson or Burnham could replace him. It has more to about Burnham being prepared to take on a slot position.

It is Haidara that has to have an "NI" to replace him, and Adekolu fits that bill.
The ratio question was about Jackson, and the answer is, Jackson was sat down so Tim Brown could play.