Lions 26 - Bombers 9 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

I didn't even bother "reviewing" the game because like Cro saw it, it was the same old same old with all aspects of our coaching staff...the TALENT is NOT the problem with this team...there is loads of it, and we have the best depth in the league...but coaching remains what is has been...stubborn, unimaginative, and predictable...and all the talent in the world won't help us come playoff time...even our solid D will be EASY to game plan against for a one game showdown...I have said this time and again, but Washington is playing a very passive, read and react defence, which has worked largely because we have had just enough pressure from our line, great corner play and outstanding LB play. But Washington is CHEATING to achieve this, and is opening up our D to be exploited, like it was earlier in the season...right now Khalif Mitchell is playing his best football this season and he and Taylor are giving the interior 3 OL lots of fits...this has given Bazzie and Smith infinite chances to create pressure on the QB...in which they have been hit and miss...but there are a couple of disturbing things to consider about Washington's defence...One, almost every time he blitzes, it gets easily picked up and we get burned, and Two, our LBs are back peddling out of the box rapidly, especially on 2nd down, leaving huge running gaps in the middle of the field. This is disturbing because come playoff time, a running QB could kill this defence, just like in SSK last year. So as well as Washington's defence has played, they can be planned against relatively easily...plus, we don't get regular pressure on the QB rushing four, and our blitz is largely ineffective.

Offensively, he we FINALLY scored 2 TDs, but one was LATE in the game against a beaten team...and the encouraging adjustments that were shown by Jones were ONLY as a result of injury. So it remains to be seen if Jones will LEARN ANYTHING from the power formations he was forced to use against WPG. The disturbing thing is this...isn't anyone on the Lion's Offence breaking down the success ratio of plays called in each scenario??? This SHOULD be happening and if it was, ANYONE would see that we succeed on 2nd down, with a 5 or 6 receiver set only about 15% of the time...and that's just not good enough. What's worse, is that we are SO PREDICTABLE in the formations that we run. Why did WPG have problem with our running game AFTER we had the injuries and went to the jumbo formations??? Because they weren't sure what was coming, and couldn't CHEAT against us...our Line play is strong enough when we run simpler blocking schemes to make holes anywhere. Again, WILL THIS CONTINUE?

Against WPG, like against CGY in CGY, Dorazio simplified the blocking scheme to as Joe described, pattern blocking, where one side of the line, or the entire line, simply directional blocks...slant left for 6 yards, slant right for 12...its effective because we have big, talented OLinemen who are wasting away in this passive read and react zone blocking system. But remember, this directional blocking DID NOT start working until we went to the power formations that Blitz and Cro noticed...and its not so much because we must out number the D with men on the LOS, rather, Defences DON'T KNOW what we are likely to run out of these formations...thus deep passes work, dump offs to Lumbala, and most of the running game. And as Hambone said, put Glenn under Centre and run quick, explosive running plays against the SMALLER, FASTER Defences around the league. We have the ability to play smash mouth football with our group, and we are wasting this opportunity. Because come playoff time, our Offence will need to score points and stay on the field because our Defence doesn't function well when we are behind. Washington trades off field position, time of possession, FGs and a lack of turnovers, for limiting TDs against. This style simply doesn't work when we are BEHIND, like we normally are against the better teams...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:The disturbing thing is this...isn't anyone on the Lion's Offence breaking down the success ratio of plays called in each scenario??? This SHOULD be happening and if it was, ANYONE would see that we succeed on 2nd down, with a 5 or 6 receiver set only
My biggest frustration is that the Lions almost always pass on second and 2 or 3, usually from a spread formation. It wasn't until late in the Winnipeg game that the Lions rushed in that scenario. I'd love to see more power rushes in that scenario from single or double tights, perhaps with a two-back set. Lumbala is a great lead blocker. The Lions should be able to pound the ball for two or three yards and at least set up third and 1 (although there's no guarantee that Bene would gamble on 3rd and 1). The Lions have rushed just 53 times out of 257 second-down plays (21%). Only Ottawa and Winnipeg have fewer rushing attempts on second down. The Lions average 5.2 yards when they rush on second down, which is third in the league.

Overall, the B.C. offence is productive on second down. B.C. leads the league by a surprising margin on second down, averaging 6.2 yards. Everyone else averages between 5.1 and 5.9 yards. That could be attributed to the fact that's usually a passing down for the Lions. Overall, the Lions rank second in second-down conversions, picking up a first down 44% of the time. They're tied with Calgary for the league lead in converting on second and long (7+ yards) at 36%.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:Same issue in my section of the crowd. Lots of people cheering for the OOB. I felt compelled to say in a loud voice that we don't want it to be OOB. It is better if we take it as is. The guys in front of me had to think about it and so did the folks behind me. After the ball was replaced on the 35. They were a lot quieter and if anything looking a little sheepish. The replay screen operator should really know better. One replay would have been enough. The little pointy arrow however was over the top. Someone needs to teach him some strategy behind the game.
That wasn't homefield advantage and one of the stranger happenings that you are going to witness. The fans wanting the play overturned for the single, and loss of field position. With the backup in, it was obvious to put him as close to his own goalposts as possible and let the play stand.
It seemed as if the crowd — misguidedly egged on by the wrong-headedness of the game ops staffer who perhaps was guilty of same — was so motivated to show up the officials it clouded all thought of how the overturned call would impact the game. Truly cutting-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face behaviour.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wasn't Mark Washington supposed to be an up and coming Defensive Coordinator ? Isn't that one of the reason why Rich Stubler was cast adrift, so the Lions can keep Washington ? I too am disappointed at the passive defence. In all fairness, perhaps Washington was told to run this type of defence by Benevides.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:.I have said this time and again, but Washington is playing a very passive, read and react defence, which has worked largely because we have had just enough pressure from our line, great corner play and outstanding LB play.
And that isn't any great derivative from the defenses of his two predecessors, Stubler and Ritchie. Ritchie had more talent in the front four and better blitz packages, while Stubler had a better secondary.
But Washington is CHEATING to achieve this, and is opening up our D to be exploited, like it was earlier in the season...right now Khalif Mitchell is playing his best football this season and he and Taylor are giving the interior 3 OL lots of fits...this has given Bazzie and Smith infinite chances to create pressure on the QB...in which they have been hit and miss
And Washington would probably argue, privately, that that's the real problem, not enough production out of the ends. The sack totals, for what that stat means to you, are very unimpressive. It's indicative of lacking consistency from our ends and......
...but there are a couple of disturbing things to consider about Washington's defence...One, almost every time he blitzes, it gets easily picked up and we get burned
This. We don't vary our blitzes at all. I don't see very many line stunts. The blitz, when it comes, is a short size blitz on 2nd and long from Bighill. That's about it. You might get Sol E up the middle once or twice a game, but Bighill gets the blitzing honors and teams take advantage of where he vacated by hitting slant routes for a first down. That's on scheme, not on Biggie.
and Two, our LBs are back peddling out of the box rapidly, especially on 2nd down, leaving huge running gaps in the middle of the field. This is disturbing because come playoff time, a running QB could kill this defence, just like in SSK last year. So as well as Washington's defence has played, they can be planned against relatively easily...plus, we don't get regular pressure on the QB rushing four, and our blitz is largely ineffective.
That was Stubler's undoing, as well as MBs when he was DC. If anything, I think we're better now in this portion of our scheme than we have been in recent years. Whether that's a fundamentally good scheme or not, particularly in that down and distance is a good discussion. I see the merits of it, because I'm very much a 'blitz on first down base on second' proponent, and I'm a fan of whatever scheme gets your defence off the field. But I see where you're coming from and agree with the sustainability of it overall.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:It seemed as if the crowd — misguidedly egged on by the wrong-headedness of the game ops staffer who perhaps was guilty of same — was so motivated to show up the officials it clouded all thought of how the overturned call would impact the game. Truly cutting-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face behaviour.
Over the years you learn to tune out some of the naysayers.

QB throws a couple balls that end up incomplete (maybe just because the RECIEVER DROPPED THEM!?!?! :dizzy: ) and you start hearing calls to replace him with the backup. I've even seen that backup the fans were calling for come in over the years and when he struggles, the calls start to bring in his backup.

The same kinda fan whose genuinely baffled that Linden hasn't been able to finaggle a trade for Jack Nobody and his brother Bob to the Penguins for Sidney Crosby yet...... :dizzy:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Wasn't Mark Washington supposed to be an up and coming Defensive Coordinator ? Isn't that one of the reason why Rich Stubler was cast adrift, so the Lions can keep Washington ? I too am disappointed at the passive defence. In all fairness, perhaps Washington was told to run this type of defence by Benevides.
And yet where does this passive defence rank?

1st downs surrendered: 1st
1st downs rushing surrendered: 3rd
1st downs passing surrendered: 1st
Ave yards/game surrendered: 1st
Ave yards/game rushing surrendered: 5th
Ave gain/carry surrendered: 6th (0.2 behind 3rd)
Ave gain/pass surrendered: 1st
Ave yards/game passing surrendered: 1st
Lowest completion % surrendered: 2nd
Interceptions: 4 way tie for 5th
Interception return yards: 2nd
Fewest FGs: 9th but......
Fewest TDs: 1st (11 in 11 games, Calgary is 2nd with 17)
Points/game allowed: 1st
Sacks: 7th

Call them passive if you wish. Their numbers in the glamour stats (sacks and ints) are lower than fans like to see but all the other numbers tell us that "passive" Lions defence is tops in the league.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:And yet where does this passive defence rank?

1st downs surrendered: 1st
1st downs rushing surrendered: 3rd
1st downs passing surrendered: 1st
Ave yards/game surrendered: 1st
Ave yards/game rushing surrendered: 5th
Ave gain/carry surrendered: 6th (0.2 behind 3rd)
Ave gain/pass surrendered: 1st
Ave yards/game passing surrendered: 1st
Lowest completion % surrendered: 2nd
Interceptions: 4 way tie for 5th
Interception return yards: 2nd
Fewest FGs: 9th but......
Fewest TDs: 1st (11 in 11 games, Calgary is 2nd with 17)
Points/game allowed: 1st
Sacks: 7th

Call them passive if you wish. Their numbers in the glamour stats (sacks and ints) are lower than fans like to see but all the other numbers tell us that "passive" Lions defence is tops in the league.
... and even if our INT totals aren't up there, we're doing well in takeaways in general. We share the lead in forcing turnovers on downs and sit only three fumbles away from Ssk's league-leading total. Interesting to note that of Edm's 6 away INTs, four came against us in Week 1; they've only notched two more in four other away games since then.

We force more turnovers in away games (to an extent rivalled only by Tor & Ham), so the relative lack of production at home — where fans are witnessing things first hand and paying directly for the privilege — might be helping shape impressions.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It seems all the folks on the one side don't seem to grasp what a scoring play is considered to be by the CFL:
Instant Replay — Not Reviewable Plays

Field Goal attempts and kicked Concert attempts have been added to the list of automatically reviewed aspects of play, regardless if they are ruled successful or not by the on-field officials.

Sentence added to Reviewable Play Types:
Scoring Plays

All scoring plays will be automatically reviewed by the Replay Official in the command centre. This shall include attempts of Field Goals and kicked Converts that have been ruled unsuccessful.

NOTE: All 2013 rule changes have been printed in bold.
What part of this did the command centre miss? It was a scoring play - just not successful for the FG.

"This shall include attempts of Field Goals and kicked Converts that have been ruled unsuccessful."

They reviewed THE play which includes the result (kick return) as the rouge was in play.

http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/rule-changes/

For all the fans complaining it is a non-issue. A coach on the opposite side of the field would be hard pressed to have challenged that play. The coach closest to would be hard pressed to question it.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:.....For all the fans complaining it is a non-issue. A coach on the opposite side of the field would be hard pressed to have challenged that play. The coach closest to would be hard pressed to question it.
I gave Proulx and his crew credit for teaching me YET AGAIN, something about a game I thought I knew. I was unaware of this change that occurred in 2013. IT MAY BE THE RULE, but I still disagree with it in principle, even though it turns out things were handled correctly (thanks for pointing it out, though).
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Hambone, great stats for the Lion's D as we have a TON of talent on this group. But again, if you look at those stats, where are we struggling? Exactly where I suggested it was, and these are problem areas come playoff time...but the greatest issue is this, with our offence we are often behind in games, and in the playoffs our defence will have to FORCE the issue and create turnovers to get us back into games, and this is not our style...and when Washington has attempted to "bring the house" we often fail...the style of D we play doesn't match up well to our Offence...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
leo4life
All Star

Team 1040 has announced slotback Courtney Taylor out rest of season (foot surgery) Thats a huge blow! Any idea how the Lions will replace him? Import or non import?
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Hambone, great stats for the Lion's D as we have a TON of talent on this group. But again, if you look at those stats, where are we struggling? Exactly where I suggested it was, and these are problem areas come playoff time...but the greatest issue is this, with our offence we are often behind in games, and in the playoffs our defence will have to FORCE the issue and create turnovers to get us back into games, and this is not our style...and when Washington has attempted to "bring the house" we often fail...the style of D we play doesn't match up well to our Offence...
I think that any problems that are suspected on the D are often masked by the extrodinary linbacking duel of Bighill and the punisher Elimimian. The pursuit and coverage that they bring helps the Lions D tick. Lions win games when the D wins the game for them, which isn't unheard of in the CFL this season. Where the Stamps step beyond the Lions, is the ability to dominate the ToP, keeping their D off the field more. Lions aren't as fortunate and sometimes that has hurt even the Lions outstanding defensive stats.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:.....For all the fans complaining it is a non-issue. A coach on the opposite side of the field would be hard pressed to have challenged that play. The coach closest to would be hard pressed to question it.
I gave Proulx and his crew credit for teaching me YET AGAIN, something about a game I thought I knew. I was unaware of this change that occurred in 2013. IT MAY BE THE RULE, but I still disagree with it in principle, even though it turns out things were handled correctly (thanks for pointing it out, though).
Not sure though why you'd be unhappy with the call. It was done quickly. It was correct and would not have been a play that the Lions could have challenged as it was hard to see.

Let's say it is the West Div. Final. Bombers kick and miss the FG. Down by a FG with about 1:30 on the clock they will need to score or be out of the play offs.

Our kick returner does the dumb thing like the Bomber did and just putting the ball back on the 38 yard line from where it was kicked he wastes more time and gets to the 10 yard line eating more of the clock but 28 yards more to go.

We lose as time runs out and after the game find out the Lion returner was out of bounds in the end zone and they didn't call it despite Command Centre knowing he was out.

Fans would be angry.

The review process is to speed up the game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Team 1040 has announced slotback Courtney Taylor out rest of season (foot surgery) Thats a huge blow! Any idea how the Lions will replace him? Import or non import?
They could go with Bryan Burnham (great name for a receiver) off the practice roster or move Jackson into the slot.