Riders vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Big game for both teams. If the Lions win, they win the season series heading into a bye week. Biggest crowd of the season anticipated. Hope the Lions don't lay an egg. Lions need to find a way to neutralize John Chick and Jerome Messam. Hope Mark Washington learned something from last season's game in which Darian Durant torched the Lions with the quarterback draw and has a plan to stop him.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Big game for both teams. If the Lions win, they win the season series heading into a bye week. Biggest crowd of the season anticipated. Hope the Lions don't lay an egg. Lions need to find a way to neutralize John Chick and Jerome Messam. Hope Mark Washington learned something from last season's game in which Darian Durant torched the Lions with the quarterback draw and has a plan to stop him.
Having won our first game vs Ssk 26-13 and this second game already being our last regular season meeting, technically we could still win the season series if we lost by less than 13 pts. The problem with that is that we could end up too far behind Ssk in the standings to invoke it, whereas a win keeps things tight and makes the tiebreaker more important. As I've said before, this isn't your typical in-division four-pointer. I'm thinking of it as a "six-pointer".

As for Durant he pulled off similar heroics in the late stages of their game last week against Mtl (albeit already holding the lead), so hopefully this refreshed MW's memory.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/article/durants-worst-nightmare

Will Ryan Phillips notch his 10th career pick against Durant?
Durant's Worst Nightmare
Friday, August 22nd, 2014
Kadie Smith

So, they’ve got a billboard and a rally? We’ve got something better: the Ryan Phillips factor.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are in the house Sunday Aug 24th for their only road trip to BC this season, and as is usually the case, it’s an important game for the Lions.

A win will pull the Leos to 6-3, giving them pivotal positioning in the compression-tight Western Division. The Riders are 5-2 with their first loss this season coming at the hands of the Leos who were 0-2 going in and stormed the sea of green. “It was a great moment for us. We were trying to rebuild ourselves at that time and we weren’t looking like the strongest team,” said Phillips, the veteran defensive back who’s made a name for himself playing against the Green.

It’s no secret that Phillips likes the matchup with the Riders, or to be more precise, Darian Durant.

Call it superstition, but Phillips makes a point to track down the Riders’ QB before each game, a ritual Durant wouldn’t mind seeing end. “I had to chase him across the field one time. It’s all a mind game,” said Phillips laughing. “Darian and I are really good friends, but If it gives me a chance to make a couple more plays then that’s what I need to do. Going to talk to him before games is more of a hype thing than anything. It was starting to play itself out where when I’d go and talk to him I’d a get a couple interceptions that game and the times I didn’t catch him before the game, I didn’t get any.

“It’s like a meet and greet. I just go up to him and see what’s up. I usually tell him to look for me a couple times, just make sure I grab his attention a bit and take his mind of their offensive scheme.”

It’s done well for him. The CFL’s active interception leader has 39 in his lengthy career and 15 of those were against the Riders…with nine from the hands of Durant alone. In fact, no other player has stolen a pass from the Saskatchewan pivot more than Phillips. Another one Sunday would give him a nice round 10.

In Week 3’s win, the DB, who is no stranger to the purrfect sound byte, was mic’d up and waved goodbye to Riders fans as they exited the stadium early when the Leos held a commanding lead late in the fourth. He likes to be the agitator.

“I think it should be good,” said Phillips about his reception by the Riders faithful on Sunday, of course with that signature Phillips smirk. “You’ve got to take pride in what you do. You only get a chance to play so many games in your career. You have to enjoy every moment. When you have an opportunity to play a team like that on their home field, everybody knows how tough that field is, to get a win there, you really have to take in the moment. I don’t get a chance to go over there again this year, hopefully I won’t have to come play off time, so I wanted to make sure I waved to everybody and told them it was a good time seeing them and you know, see you next year.”

He’s got the numbers to back it up, as does the team. BC holds the edge 12-9 in the last 21 games vs Saskatchewan, outscoring their opponents by 37 points. At BC Place the Lions are 23-18 vs the Riders. While Durant finally won the Grey Cup last season, the pivot has struggled this year, not posting a +300 game in his last 11 starts.

The Lions will have standout running back Andrew Harris back Sunday. Despite missing Week 8 versus the Argos, Harris still leads the CFL in yards from scrimmage (781) and sits second in rushing yards with 410 yards on 77 carries. Two other RBs, Stefan Logan and Tim Brown, are posting up impressive numbers of their own with Brown setting a new team record for return yards. Both were handed POW honours from the league for their stellar play.

The Lions look to be in good shape for Sunday with the likes of Adam Bighill and tackles leader Soloman Elimimian holding down the defence. Newcomers Alex Bazzie, who leads the league in tackles for a loss, and Ronnie Yell are also coming off dominant performances, and the two rookies are just getting started.

“That’s what it’s all about,” said Phillips. “This game is all about the team and right now we’re working well together. We want to get the crowd into it Sunday, that 13th man, and let them know we can’t do it without them.”

So will Phillips be looking for Durant at warm up Sunday? “Oh absolutely!” he said.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Big game for both teams. If the Lions win, they win the season series heading into a bye week. Biggest crowd of the season anticipated. Hope the Lions don't lay an egg. Lions need to find a way to neutralize John Chick and Jerome Messam. Hope Mark Washington learned something from last season's game in which Darian Durant torched the Lions with the quarterback draw and has a plan to stop him.
Having won our first game vs Ssk 26-13 and this second game already being our last regular season meeting, technically we could still win the season series if we lost by less than 13 pts. The problem with that is that we could end up too far behind Ssk in the standings to invoke it, whereas a win keeps things tight and makes the tiebreaker more important. As I've said before, this isn't your typical in-division four-pointer. I'm thinking of it as a "six-pointer".

As for Durant he pulled off similar heroics in the late stages of their game last week against Mtl (albeit already holding the lead), so hopefully this refreshed MW's memory.
I like the Bazzie factor vs Durant, I think that he wraps up Durant in much the same way SolE can. Both are playing at the top of their game and it is a good game for them to make an impact. Messam falls into Taylor and Mitchell's hands, someone had better take the valium away from Mitchell for this one, we need the old Khaliff to collapse the pocket filling up the A gap holes all by himself.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions looked very business like in warmups. No joking around. Lots of zip on Lulay's passes
dupsdell1
Champion

jUST HEARD ON 1040 EXPECTING IN THE HIGH 30'S CROWED SIAD IT WAS VERY BUSY OUTSIDE BC PLACE LIKE KAST YEARS GAME WITH THE RIDERS.

ANY HOW HERE ON MY COUCH WAS AT THE SEAHAWK GAME FRIDAY , AND HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE A GREAT FOOTBALL WEEKEND IN OUR HOUSE HOLD WITH A LIONS WIN TODAY.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What a start ! 10-0
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Never seen Tim Brown's acceleration in finer form...set up perfectly by Stephan Logan sealing the lane and making it all possible YeeHaw :thup: :thup: :thup: :beer:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Defence bringing a lot of heat
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Solly looking like a one man wrecking crew...he really looks like he's up for this one...Booya go Lions, bust their chops :rockin:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Defence needs to step up here
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:Solly looking like a one man wrecking crew...he really looks like he's up for this one...Booya go Lions, bust their chops :rockin:
Sol's lateral pursuit is second to none...so intense like a heat seeking missile :yahoo:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Offence need to put together some first downst
swervynmerv
Legend

Offence needs to get going. Would love a two TD lead going into the second half and force Durant to start pushing the ball.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Impressive drive for 3 points