Lions 36 - TiCats 29 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would hate to see what this thread is like had the Lions lost.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:One of your best, Blitz. :thup:

Home Run.
Absolutely agree on that, and of course it all comes back to coaching which has been a concern for awhile now on this board.

The one aspect that baffles me is the yardage LeFavour made, it was the one huge concern going in, from on this board, and on all media fronts. Yet there it is, another running QB racking up yardage that should have been scouted to limit the damage.

I wonder if Blitz is correct on our D getting burned due to Phillips compensating for LaRose. If that is true, it lends itself to why this is a continual weak spot on the Lions that isn't addressed, just hidden and now costing the Lions with a couple of long gains. That will get around this league quickly and you can expect more long sideline catches against the Lions, until this position is upgraded.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:One of your best, Blitz. :thup:

Home Run.
Absolutely agree on that, and of course it all comes back to coaching which has been a concern for awhile now on this board.

The one aspect that baffles me is the yardage LeFavour made, it was the one huge concern going in, from on this board, and on all media fronts. Yet there it is, another running QB racking up yardage that should have been scouted to limit the damage.

I wonder if Blitz is correct on our D getting burned due to Phillips compensating for LaRose. If that is true, it lends itself to why this is a continual weak spot on the Lions that isn't addressed, just hidden and now costing the Lions with a couple of long gains. That will get around this league quickly and you can expect more long sideline catches against the Lions, until this position is upgraded.
Our halfbacks and sometimes our corners, if they are in deep 1/3 zone coverage either play straight up or inside, giving up corner patterns and deep outside seams because they don't have faith in LaRose, ether in terms of anticiipation or range. We could cheat outside when Miles played safety due to his range and we could lure receivers.

I agree with B.C, Fan that we can play a lot of zone but we also need to change up with press coverage on the outside sometimes or play more comination/man zone, with man under and zone over top at times. We play too much standard soft zone coverage and our blitzes are way too predictable and easy to pick up. When do you see us have anyone come free, like other teams?

I also think we have Sol E. and Bighill too often in pass coverage and when we blitz we send Sol E. too often and he is not a great blitzer and Bighill is ..and we need to send him more..and Josh Johnson as well...he is a good on the blitz as well.

Y
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Injuries also limited the number of packages and coverages the Lions could run. With Dante March and Josh Johnson injured, the Lions moved Ronnie Yell to Marsh's boundary corner spot, brought in Keynan Parker at field corner and played Torri Williams at nickel. They didn't have an extra DB to bring in in passing downs, so the linebackers had to be involved in coverage.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hate it when the Lions go to an empty backfield. It's a sure recipe for a sack. What is Jones trying to accomplish ?
almo89
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I hate it when the Lions go to an empty backfield. It's a sure recipe for a sack. What is Jones trying to accomplish ?
It rarely works yet we see them do it so often. Frustrating to watch
peeby
Starter

Got to use my season ticket and go to a game for a change. Have missed several this year. Scanned most posts and find myself at odds with some of the more positive ones. This was as good as a loss to me. Except for the points, of course. The Lions beat a one and four team (now one and five). Thought Hamilton poured through the centre of our line, thought their QB was better (despite the yardage the Lions got from Kevin Glenn). I'm not sure the Lions won or the refs won it for them. Some quick obs:

QB: Another odd performance with some nutty throwing decisions.
RB: If Harris is hurt, skip Tim Brown and bring on Atolin. Maybe someone fresh can help the return game a little (though there were a couple good returns).
WR: Can't remember what it was, but I was incensed at Ernest Jackson for the umpteenth time. They can do better here.
O-line: They had something going on the left side till the latest import got hurt. However, the centre of the line collapsed time and time again. They need to draft a centre and move Matt Norman to guard. And, of course, Dean Valli should move to the background. Not sure why Kirby Fabien looked so bad on a number of occasions, but he had a very serious injury. Must must get help here. This is where games are won and lost.

DB: I don't believe Parker is a CFL player. I have seen enough errors that I watch for more when he's out there. He never disappoints. There has to be better CDN DB's somewhere.
LB: No complaints. The odd time they were beaten by receivers, but they were one on one and shouldn't be faulted that much. The Hamilton QB had time, which leads to one of my main complaints..
D-line: Wally Buono said something a while back about toughing up at LB because it's becoming a running league. Wonder if that's why we have Taylor and Mitchell in the middle of our line. Like them both, but thinking we don't really have the rush we should. Is it because they've slowed a bit? The Hamilton guys in the middle seemed to do a pretty good job and I'm not sure they get the credit our guys do. As far as the outside DL's go, I like them all, but they certainly weren't dominant.

THE BENEVIDES WATCH: I guess the extension prevents any change at the end of the year, but we may see a Grey Cup hosting team not even make the playoffs. There was a play where the Lions got a suspect penalty (or maybe not even suspect). Benevides stomps down the sidelines way outside the player box, gets within five feet of an official, the official looks up briefly, likely says something and Benevides turns on a dime and stomps back to his team. Don't know what the ref said, but I know what I'd say. All the time this was happening, the play was getting underway. Talk about attention to detail. If I was in a Lion uniform, standing on the sideline, I'd be wondering why the guy paid to pay serious attention to what's going on is not even near the rest of the team. Not impressed in the least.

WRAP: Toronto is a well-injured team, so may provide another two points. A negative take on things, but I don't like what I'm seeing. Starting to think some of our guys are over-rated.
pennw
Legend

Any word on the injuries suffered by Andrew Harris or Jermarcus Hardrick ? Would hate to see either of these two be out of the line up . The O-line was starting to look formidable with the Steward-Hardrick combo on the left side with pretty good push on short yardage the last game against Calgary .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

pennw wrote:Any word on the injuries suffered by Andrew Harris or Jermarcus Hardrick ? Would hate to see either of these two be out of the line up . The O-line was starting to look formidable with the Steward-Hardrick combo on the left side with pretty good push on short yardage the last game against Calgary .
According to LU, Harris, Hardrick, Marsh and Johnson are all expected to miss next week's game in Toronto at a minimum. Lulay will be ready for his first live action of the year.

The Lions will have to do a lot of roster juggling to fill the holes. Their depth will be tested.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:According to LU, Harris, Hardrick, Marsh and Johnson are all expected to miss next week's game in Toronto at a minimum. Lulay will be ready for his first live action of the year.

The Lions will have to do a lot of roster juggling to fill the holes. Their depth will be tested.
Despite all the injuries, BC catches somewhat of break next week. The Argos (who are currently dealing with a lot of injuries themselves) are at home on Tuesday night, so will effectively only have two practices to prepare for the Lions on Sunday afternoon. Another scheduling quirk that hurts the Argos.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
leo4life
All Star

Stamps blow out Ottawa so Leos must keep winning and hope Riders/Bombers/Esks start dropping a few in a row otherwise last place it is
Hawkballer 14
Champion

MexicoLionFan wrote:punishing teams for blitzing is actually easy, but EVERYONE has to be on the same page as the QB and that takes practise. Doug and Darren Flutie got so good at it, that all Doug had to do was give a look to Darren and he knew what to do...which was usually either a short hook in, or a skinny post...we aren't doing this and I have no idea why?
How is that even a legit comparison? How long did the Fluties play together, whether on teams or on the playground?

How long have the receivers been playing with Kevin Glenn?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

What was the point of dressing Lulay and then not letting him play for a series or two? IMO, he should have started the second half and played at least for a while, though Glenn did have a great 4th quarter.
David
Team Captain

I don't have a good feeling about Andrew Harris' injury. The way his foot bent when tackled, it's a miracle he was able to continue playing at all (and I am sure it had more to do with adrenalin). I'll be relieved it's only a sprain, and even those can sometimes take weeks to recover from as a running back needs to make cuts, speed etc. Sure wish we could have acquired Jerome Messam when we had the chance. Antolin (if they choose to activate him) could be dynamic, but can he block?

Hardrick's injury could be a torn MCL according to a report yesterday but I haven't seen anything official. :bawl:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:What was the point of dressing Lulay and then not letting him play for a series or two? IMO, he should have started the second half and played at least for a while, though Glenn did have a great 4th quarter.
Agreed. I really thought we were going to see him in the 3rd quarter after the 2nd Glenn INT. Give Glenn credit for a solid 4th quarter and big numbers overall but what happens if it's a tight game in TO and Glenn is playing reasonably well? When is the transition to your franchise player who is making $500,000 a season going to take place?

I was hoping Lulay would be ready to start for what's shaping up as a huge game against the Riders on Aug. 24. All bets would be off if he sees none or very limited action against this week.