Stampeders vs eskimos 40,000 k

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

Hi there everyone its it me or was that not the most boring football I have ever seen, and as for a crowed of 40,000 nobody was into it, I must have flicked the channel 5-7 times during the game, to many penalties, to slow of a pace , receivers dropping balls, sloppy, sloppy play, it better improve or we are going to see the tv ratings take a huge dive. I say the refs are killing this game by calling all these penalties. worst I have seen in years.

let me know what you guys think

Dan
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Hi there everyone its it me or was that not the most boring football I have ever seen, and as for a crowed of 40,000 nobody was into it, I must have flicked the channel 5-7 times during the game, to many penalties, to slow of a pace , receivers dropping balls, sloppy, sloppy play, it better improve or we are going to see the tv ratings take a huge dive. I say the refs are killing this game by calling all these penalties. worst I have seen in years.

Dan
Dan,

I can't comment to this game specifically as I only watched bits and pieces of it (not because I found it boring, I just had other things competing for my attention) but I think you'll find broad agreement here for the main thrust of your views as far as how the 2014 regular season has unfolded so far in general. I don't know if you were at last week's game here vs Mtl but there was much consternation in the crowd about the great deal of flags getting tossed. Even Farhan Lalji was on 1040 earlier this week saying that (paraphrase) "it pains me to admit this but the CFL has been a dud so far this season".
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

That was one of the worst executed games I have ever seen tonight if you were and Edmonton fan. What I really hated was the BS move by Hufnagel to challenge a non pass interference call tonight with 2 mins left in the game. It wasn't even close. I am really coming to hate that new rule and I suspect that it will be gone next year. Like mentioned, too many flags. I am beginning to think maybe they should throw a flag when there is no penalty called instead of the other way around or paint the field orange so as to cover up the amount of nylon getting tossed.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

I must be in the minority on here, but so far the CFL season has been great other than the RP calls on the QB's. The D's are dominating and I really enjoy that, as it takes a good QB to sustain a drive in today's CFL. Interesting point made was the Ottawa expansion was potentially the cause of the O's not getting on track. With most N's being on the O (75% was mentioned), and of that most being on the OL, the D's are being able to have their way with the O. While that may be the case, I think that any team has to structure to get the most out of the lineup, and if that suggests that the OL aren't good enough, then use a receiver or two, and don't use them, as you aren't getting the time to complete a pass anyways.

Today's game was smash mouth football, with the D's winning the majority of the battles. That is pretty much the status quo for the season so far, and to me it means that a team has to earn their points, manage a game well in order not to lose it as well. Just ask Chris Jones about that after giving the ball up at the 15 yardline with 16 seconds or so to go in the half, rather than punting it to limit the damage to a potential 3 points. He lost that battle and in the end it cost him the game, losing by 4 points, although it also afforded the Stamps to give up a safety for two, ultimately losing by 6 points. While there was an entire half to go, that point difference certainly came to mind all throughout the second half to me, and I am sure Jones himself was reflecting on that decision for the remainder of the game. He even called a late timeout losing precious seconds before he made the call. It shows to me that he isn't quite as prepared as he has portrayed through the first 4 games.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I thought it was one of the most competitive and entertaining games of the early season. It had just about everything, including a blocked punt TD and fake kicks. I had never seen a fake punt in the end zone in 50 years of watching the CFL. I likely won't see another. Yes, there were dropped passes and dropped INTs but they just added to the intrigue. It was a pretty good advertisement for CFL football.
Qman
Champion

dupsdell1 wrote:Hi there everyone its it me or was that not the most boring football I have ever seen, and as for a crowed of 40,000 nobody was into it, I must have flicked the channel 5-7 times during the game, to many penalties, to slow of a pace , receivers dropping balls, sloppy, sloppy play, it better improve or we are going to see the tv ratings take a huge dive. I say the refs are killing this game by calling all these penalties. worst I have seen in years.

Dan
Totally agree. Something has to be done immediately. I also flipped out when a TSN guys said they are looking at adding an 8th ref ... we need to got down to 5-6 officials like in the old days where they only called 3-4 penalties a game.
Qman
Champion

also, when have you ever seen a 340k 50/50. wow!
Rammer
Team Captain

Qman wrote:also, when have you ever seen a 340k 50/50. wow!
That was a carry over from the previous game...dumbass didn't notice the winning numbers. The carry over was $160K or so, so with that as incentive, the Esks fans forked out for another $180K for this game. Someone is going home happy tonight, regardless of the outcome.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I hear that 50/50 ticket sales at Commonwealth are so brisk in general that they have to sell them in a rather organised fashion from dedicated concession stands out in the concourse. The BCP scenario of sellers wandering randomly through the concourse and stands during the game — it's been this way here for as long as I can recall — would be too chaotic to handle the large CW mob of paying customers approaching madly from all directions.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As it turned out, ticket demand overwhelmed the system and they couldn't draw a winning number at the game. They plan to post it online and give the winner until Monday to claim the money.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

The CFL is a defensively dominated league.

a.) CFL coaches are stacking imports errr.... internationals on defence. Calgary actually toyed with the idea of going with an all-import defence in training camp this year.
b.) With fewer non-imports starting, (remember when there were ten?) there are no longer matchups and mismatches on each side of the ball.
c.) The CFL roster has expanded twice since 2007. Both time coaches have used that opening for defensive situational import players for the most part. Both times rosters expanded, scoring went down (special team yards have also plummeted). Edmonton actually dressed six import linebackers in a game this year.
d.) With the versatility within rosters, it is now the defence which can give you several different looks. Offences in this league lacks the imagination of a generation past. They manage games almost timidly while defences pin their ears back.

Either increase the numbers for non-import starters, or banish it altogether. If you up the number, offenses will balance against defensive depth. If you abolish it, then you are dealing with an even player pool of depth.

The problem isn't the level of front line Canadian who start versus imports. It's stacking our guys on one side of the ball with limited depth, which limits options when faced with defences who start 9, 10 and 11 imports... with import backups and situational players.

Owners, coaches and GMs need a reminder that they are in the entertainment business even before the winning business. Pinning the blame on officials for the shortcomings of execution, offensive inventiveness and mismanagement of a roster that worked would be off base.

Scoring is down more than 4 points a game from last year, and 10 points from two years ago. This is management's problem which they could have fixed (along with the inept Players Association) in the CBA but they actually made the product worse. Any talk about "wide open Canadian ball" should be reserved for early season CIS where, in the west teams were combining for an average of 1,020 yards per game and the average score was 43-35 through the first five weeks of 2013. What the CFL is providing now, will drive people to other forms of entertainment.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

There has been lots of talk about the impact of the Ottawa expansion draft but really the biggest impact is in the changes in the coaching ranks, the most that I have seen for a single season in the 60 years that I have been watching the CFL.

3 rookie head coaches, all with a D background, plus Higgins in Montreal who hasn't been a coach in 6 years. There is also a slew of rookie OCs and DCs this season as well.

The 2 extra guys that get dressed for a game this year, I'm guessing, are being more easily and more effectively deployed as rotational guys on D.

As far as last nights game goes I thought the Esks fake punt gamble was a horrible call by a rookie HC with a D background showing through and a screw up calling the plays previous to the fake punt because they got into a tough spot by not making taking time off the clock on 1st down a priority. That gamble should occur when the result of a botched play ends up costing the team field position, not a TD. Too aggressive a call in a low scoring game imo.

The way the half ended I had a strong suspicion that in a low scoring, tightly played game, giving up 7 points instead of 2 or 3 was likely going to be the difference in the game.

Esks HC Jones needs to step up and take responsibility for the loss but I wonder if pride and his aggressive style will allow him to do so.

I rooted for the Stamps in this one as their victory levels the standings a bit. Calgary has had such a good team these past few years that I can't remember ever rooting for them, so it felt kinda weird.
JohnHenry
Champion

The CFL could help the struggling offences by requiring that a minimum of 3 Nationals be on the field at all times (or perhaps 2). Then teams won't be able to stack the defences with 11 or 12 imports like they do now. Add in the 4 designated-import players and the defences will Shutdown U. :2cents:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Dan
it's been mostly terrible entertainment so far. Unimaginative play calling and way too much domination by officials.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:As it turned out, ticket demand overwhelmed the system and they couldn't draw a winning number at the game. They plan to post it online and give the winner until Monday to claim the money.
Posted and claimed, I suspect a lifetime ST for the future, only 20 years old...

630 CHED

The Eskimos have announced that 20-year-old Connor Croken of Edmonton has claimed the record $348,534 50/50 from the game against the Stampeders Thursday night. (kdr)