Is imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

BURN!.jpg
So all year long in our intro and on our set monitor we had the image on the left.

This year, the Lions have the image on the right. I says, pardon?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Love the UBC Thunderbirds uniform :thup: :thup:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Jim Mullin wrote:
BURN!.jpg
So all year long in our intro and on our set monitor we had the image on the left.

I suppose you're not really making a direct accusation of plagiarism but it is interesting that the perspectives on those two shots of the Granville Entertainment District are almost identical (but not quite if you compare details in the overlaps of various features with one another).

The BCL splash page image of Manny Arceneaux & the GED is also on the Mtl game ticket, although the photoshopping differs somewhat in the two (e.g., Manny's right arm partially covers the Orpheum sign on the ticket version). In fact each of the ten tickets in the STH package features a different player against the backdrop of a different Vancouver landmark. Even if the Lions had embarked on this larger concept independently of the above CIS image, it's not unlikely the GED would be featured. Actually it wouldn't surprise me if these two GED images were simply outsourced stock photos, two slightly different takes from among a larger set taken in one or several sessions, separately licensed from a common source.

For the record the players and landmarks appearing on the tickets are as follows:

Jun 20: Paul McCallum, Lions Gate Bridge
Jun 28: Andrew Harris, Canada Place
Jul 19: Manny Arceneaux, Granville Entertainment District
Jul 25: Jovan Olafioye, Vancouver Public Library Central Branch
Aug 08: Shawn Gore, Jack Poole Plaza / 2010 Olympic Cauldron
Aug 24: Dante Marsh, Science World
Sep 13: Adam Bighill, Burrard Bridge
Sep 19: Travis Lulay, BC Place
Oct 11: Solomon Elimimian, Port Metro Vancouver dockyard at Burrard Inlet (?)
Nov 07: Ryan Phillips, Gastown

Some of these images (Dante Marsh and Andrew Harris and possibly others) began appearing on transit advertising around mid-April.

I kind of like how they paired an OL with the library, perhaps a subtle nod to how OLs tend to score best on the Wonderlic. Not sure if there's anything similar that could be read into the others, whether coincidentally or not.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

I think it's a good campaign. If it helps them sell tickets, have at 'er.

We did this throughout 2013 by placing players from each CIS city within their skyine or a landmark, not just in a still but in a rotoscope. They were a constant on set.

Here's an example or two.
Roto-psd-Saskatoon-skyline---Hillis.png
Roto---Austin-Kennedy-Windsor.jpg
We also used them in last year's opening video (around the 1:28 mark).

The black and white photo the Lions used was the same picture we used in colour of Granville Mall, which will obviously draw comparisons. If I were in the Lions marketing shoes, I'd draw the campaign out even further by using BC landmarks and regions and not just confine the brand to Vancouver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
ziggy
Legend

What was the background for the "drunken ramshackle backwater"?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Some great visuals there, Jim. It does seem the Lions' campaign shares some strong parallels to what your show has done.
Jim Mullin wrote:I think it's a good campaign. If it helps them sell tickets, have at 'er.

We did this throughout 2013 by placing players from each CIS city within their skyine or a landmark, not just in a still but in a rotoscope. They were a constant on set.

Here's an example or two.
Roto-psd-Saskatoon-skyline---Hillis.png
Roto---Austin-Kennedy-Windsor.jpg
We also used them in last year's opening video (around the 1:28 mark).

The black and white photo the Lions used was the same picture we used in colour of Granville Mall, which will obviously draw comparisons. If I were in the Lions marketing shoes, I'd draw the campaign out even further by using BC landmarks and regions and not just confine the brand to Vancouver.
Are you sure about this? I noticed a difference in how the light pole was obscuring the Cafe Crepe sign: it reaches almost to the top of the C in Crepe on the Lions' version but only to the bottom of it in yours, which suggests the photo in your version was taken from a slightly higher perspective than in the Lions' version. Similarly on the right there's another pole that partially obscures the first E of the Venue sign in your version but not in the Lions' one (this one is even clearer on the ticket version where Manny is placed farther to the left and isn't obscuring so much of the Venue sign). Subtle differences but they're there on close review. Slightly different takes from the same photo session is my guess.

Re: BC vs Vancouver, I realised this as I finished typing the list. Kind of surprising I haven't heard it brought up before, now that you mention it. The logistics of gathering province-wide images might be more difficult than simply confining it to Vancouver? I don't know.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Jim Mullin wrote:
BURN!.jpg

And ever since, you've been the champ.

And no one is saying anything bout Mrs. Champs's tulips around old McGuinty's stump.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Jim Mullin wrote:
BURN!.jpg

And ever since, you've been the champ.

And no one is saying anything bout Mrs. Champs's tulips around old McGuinty's stump.
I can even hear the voice on that one. :rotf: :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low