BC Lions announcement

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Geroy was in the building tonight. During Q3 he walked by what was once "Geroy's corner", got a pretty decent cheer from the fans in that corner and acknowledged it.

If that's any indication of the fan mood then any talk of bitterness such as was discussed in the thread about his retirement is a bit overstated to say the least.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Geroy was in the building tonight. During Q3 he walked by what was once "Geroy's corner", got a pretty decent cheer from the fans in that corner and acknowledged it.

If that's any indication of the fan mood then any talk of bitterness such as was discussed in the thread about his retirement is a bit overstated to say the least.
He was always good to that corner, they aren't going to move from being in his corner at anytime. I am not welcoming Geroy back for awhile, but that is probably in the minority in the stands, but larger here on LB'ers where we are more aware of transgressions by other team players, including Geroy's while with Saskatchewan.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Geroy was in the building tonight. During Q3 he walked by what was once "Geroy's corner", got a pretty decent cheer from the fans in that corner and acknowledged it.

He was always good to that corner, they aren't going to move from being in his corner at anytime. I am not welcoming Geroy back for awhile, but that is probably in the minority in the stands, but larger here on LB'ers where we are more aware of transgressions by other team players, including Geroy's while with Saskatchewan.
Geroy was not exactly gracious in his time on the field or on the mic. He said he was "surprised" at the invitation to the Wall of Fame. He still has an edge on towards the organization. And some orange in his wardrobe (the green was evident) might have been in order on the night of his announcement to the Lions' Wall of Fame, as he talked about how good the Riders' organization has been to him. Is he going to wear green on the presentation night? LOL Is he going to let go of the edge?

Just some observations ... Not a Geroy hater. I think my comments have been balanced, and I accept that he belongs in the pantheon of Lions' greats, even though he chose to retire as a Rider (and there is much precedent for a long time star and team icon signing and retiring with your #1 team), and seems to have green a little closer to his heart than orange. :wink:

I don't think Geroy endeared himself to the organization tonight nor to those fans who have been alienated. But the organization has been gracious and accommodating to its prodigal son.

Do Hall of Fame CFL players go in as a certain team member? I know there is some protocol (and choices), et cetera, with some of the leagues. ??? Would Geroy choose Lions' orange or Riders' green?

I dunno ... How about Hal Patterson and Bernie Faloney? Switched from the Alouettes to the TiCats, and vice versa. Are they in the Hall as one or the other, or just as players?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I''m not sure how they do it with the patterons and faloneys when they go in.

Geroy and Wally seem to be fine together. Wally understands these guys well and respects their side of things as he seen hundreds if not in the thousand number range all stay or just come and go. Eventually all players leave the game and that is not the easy part.

Geroy makes a good point. He gave 12 years to BC full out and I think what he is saying about the Riders "stepping up" is how thankful he was that it was not the alternative - cut and release with no notice - that would have been a shock not to mention a cash flow vacuum as he then had to scramble to get something in football.

One thing he made clear - and that sounded very sincere - he is okay being done as a player. He volunteered that IIRC and I was convinced that he has truly moved on to the next step and that is how to get to a GM role and he is clear - he does not want a regional scouting gig. Actually that gig might be closer to football than an ambassador role but at this point in the season no time would have an opening.

I think someday you could see Geroy back in BC and not long from now in some sort of football role other than the one he is in now - UNLESS he is scouting CFL games. They said he was writing notes at this game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Rammer wrote:

Geroy was not exactly gracious in his time on the field or on the mic. He said he was "surprised" at the invitation to the Wall of Fame. He still has an edge on towards the organization. And some orange in his wardrobe (the green was evident) might have been in order on the night of his announcement to the Lions' Wall of Fame, as he talked about how good the Riders' organization has been to him. Is he going to wear green on the presentation night? LOL Is he going to let go of the edge?

Just some observations ... Not a Geroy hater. I think my comments have been balanced, and I accept that he belongs in the pantheon of Lions' greats, even though he chose to retire as a Rider (and there is much precedent for a long time star and team icon signing and retiring with your #1 team), and seems to have green a little closer to his heart than orange. :wink:

I don't think Geroy endeared himself to the organization tonight nor to those fans who have been alienated. But the organization has been gracious and accommodating to its prodigal son.

Do Hall of Fame CFL players go in as a certain team member? I know there is some protocol (and choices), et cetera, with some of the leagues. ??? Would Geroy choose Lions' orange or Riders' green?

I dunno ... How about Hal Patterson and Bernie Faloney? Switched from the Alouettes to the TiCats, and vice versa. Are they in the Hall as one or the other, or just as players?

Although it was one of the more blockbuster and famous trades in CFL history the trade is a horrible example of what is being discussed here. Firstly, at the time the Als front office was in deep disarray and would have made the Stamps old F Troop management look like football gurus.

The trade took place after the 1960 season, after a last place finish and the worst year ever for Bernie Faloney. It was actually 2 separate trades: Faloney for Sam Etchevery and Hal Patterson for Don Paquette. Turns out that the trade violated Etchevery's no trade contract so he didn't have to report to Hamilton and as a result he became a free agent and left for the NFL. The trade hinged on both players reporting so Faloney stayed a TiCat the next season and lead the TiCats to the Grey Cup in 61.

Patterson had told the Als to trade him (he wanted out of the gong show and there was a rumor about his wife and an affair with another player or coach. I don't know the details) or he would retire so that trade went through. Since Paquette was a marginal player and only of interest to the Als because he was from Quebec, and because Patterson was one of the best to ever play in the CFL, it became the most lopsided trade in CFL history.

So in the end, Faloney was never an Al and Patterson would have nothing to do with the Als.

Sorry for being a bit off topic but I thought maybe a history lesson from someone who grew up in Hamilton in the 50s and 60s was needed.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT, my point was this: Having to choose to go into the Hall of Fame as a Lion or a Rider, which would Geroy choose?

Which of two are are you going to take to the dance?

It doesn't matter?

Tell that to the one left behind.

I recall Patterson and Faloney but not all the details of their situations with the teams. I recall the name of Paquette as part of the trade. I did a quick Wiki read as I mentioned their trade.

Patterson was a three sport athlete, playing in the NCAA championship basketball game as the second leading rebounder in the game.

The Alouettes retired his number 75 on November 21, 2008.

And of course, both Patterson and Faloney are in the CFL Hall of Fame, as is Sam Etcheverry.

As I indicated, my point was about having to choose, as is/was the protocol for some leagues. Gary Carter chose to enter the MLB Hall of Fame as an Expo.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:

X2
South Pender
Legend

I'm glad to hear this. I believe that it's the right thing to do. And it shows that the Lions' organization as a whole has the class to recognize this and follow through. This puts Lions football and our fans in a very good light. Not sure something like this would have happened this quickly in every CFL site.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/to-the-rafter ... imons-no81
To the Rafters: Lions to retire Geroy Simons no.81

Posted: June 20, 2014 11:00 PM

Updated: June 20, 2014 11:18 PM

THE CANADIAN PRESS

VANCOUVER -- The BC Lions made a tough decision to part ways with Geroy Simon prior to last season.

When the 38-year-old retired earlier this month, it was an easy call to honour the CFL's all-time leading receiver as soon as possible.

The Lions announced before Friday's 37-13 pre-season victory over the Calgary Stampeders that Simon will have his No. 81 added to B.C.
Place Stadium's Ring of Honour this summer.

"It's something that's very special and I appreciate it,'' said Simon. "This was home for a long time and it's a place where I feel real comfortable so I'm really happy and really honoured for the recognition.''

But while Simon is more than deserving, the speed at which it has come about is a bit of a surprise.

B.C. traded Simon to the Saskatchewan Roughriders when it was decided his role would change with the Lions for the 2013 season. He went on to have modest numbers during the regular season with the Riders, but scored two touchdowns in the club's Grey Cup victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Simon had indicated that he wanted to play one more season with either the Lions or Riders in 2014, but wasn't able to agree to terms with either club.

"That was the plan but it just didn't work out,'' said Simon, who won the Grey Cup with the Lions in 2006 and 2011. "I wanted to play but I also didn't want to play anywhere else other than B.C. or Saskatchewan. I made that quite clear. When the decision was made that I wasn't going to come here I just said I'm going to retire and move on.''

The Johnstown, Pa., native added that he doesn't hold any animosity towards the Lions for what transpired the last two off-seasons.

"I think that takes more effort to be mad and hold a grudge,'' said Simon. "I move on. I'm looking forward to my next career and I'm happy with my decision and whatever else happens.''

Lions general manager and vice-president of football operations Wally Buono - who made the call not to bring Simon back as a player - said honouring him was "a no brainer.''

"I want to thank Geroy for making this happen because he could have been difficult to deal with,'' said Buono. "He was, as he always is, a great pro, a great human being.''

Now working as a scout for Saskatchewan, Simon was taken aback that his former club would reach out so quickly and honour him on July 25 against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, coincidentally the team that gave him his start in the CFL.

"It was totally unexpected. I didn't expect it,'' he said. "I was shocked but happy and pleased with the organization.''

After 15 spectacular CFL seasons, Geroy Simon officially announced his retirement Wednesday. He leaves the game as the league's all-time leading receiver.

On the field Friday, Lions quarterback Kevin Glenn finished 17 of 21 for 173 yards and a touchdown as he continues to look like the favourite to start the club's opener on June 28 against the Edmonton Eskimos. No. 1 quarterback Travis Lulay did not take a snap in the pre-season as he continues to recover from off-season shoulder surgery.

Stefan Logan returned a punt 93 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter as B.C. jumped out to an 18-0 lead after just 15 minutes, but Calgary quarterback Drew Tate led his team back in the second quarter to trail 21-13 at the break

Lions rookie defensive back T.J. Lee had two interceptions - including one that he returned 15 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter to put the game out of reach at 31-13 - while linebacker Solomon Elimimian added two interceptions of his own.

In a battle to make the team, Lee made quite an impression in his final audition.

"I just appreciate the opportunity of playing this game,'' said Lee, who could have had four interceptions on the night. "I'm grateful.''

Lions head coach Mike Benevides, whose team will host this year's Grey Cup game, definitely took notice.

"I know there's going to be tough decisions,'' he said. "The process today was really good for us. Fast, aggressive defence.''

Tate - who threw a TD - and fellow Calgary quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell were both picked off twice, while reigning CFL most outstanding player Jon Cornish rushed for 33 yards on five carries early on before spending the rest of the night as a spectator.

Prior to the game, Buono said there was nothing awkward when the Lions approached Simon about honouring his number, even though they dealt him prior to last season and declined to bring him back in 2014.

"It's business. Nothing was done on a personal level. When you ask me who one of my all-time favourite players is, I'm going to say Geroy,'' said Buono. "He was a tremendous warrior for us, a tremendous ambassador in the community.

"It was tough last year. It was tough to cross that bridge that we had to separate with Geroy. It was tough to know that we were going to line up without Geroy.''

Simon had 1,029 career catches for 16,352 yards and 103 touchdowns with Winnipeg (1999-2000), B.C. (2001-2012) and Saskatchewan (2013). He was the CFL's most outstanding player in 2006 with 105 catches for 1,856 yards and 15 touchdowns, capping that campaign with his first of three Grey Cup titles.

Buono, who coached Simon with B.C. during his prime, said he never changed who he was on or off the field.

"He responded well to the challenges. The thing about players is you want them to be able to withstand the expectation and the pressure,'' he said.

"When you're the No. 1 receiver year in and year out, there's a tremendous price to pay because everybody's on you, everybody's after you, defences are made to stop you but Geroy overcame all that.

"He was always a guy that worked hard, was very humble, was great in the locker-room and was a superstar in the community.''

Simon said he now wants to build his front-office resume in hopes of one day running a CFL team.

"In 10 years I see myself as being a GM or an president of an organization,'' he said. "I want to be running the show somewhere.

"I'm not done (winning Grey Cups). I'm going to win a few more.''

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"It's something that's very special and I appreciate it,'' said Simon. "This was home for a long time and it's a place where I feel real comfortable so I'm really happy and really honoured for the recognition.''
Simon had indicated that he wanted to play one more season with either the Lions or Riders in 2014, but wasn't able to agree to terms with either club.

"That was the plan but it just didn't work out,'' said Simon, who won the Grey Cup with the Lions in 2006 and 2011. "I wanted to play but I also didn't want to play anywhere else other than B.C. or Saskatchewan. I made that quite clear. When the decision was made that I wasn't going to come here I just said I'm going to retire and move on.''
The Johnstown, Pa., native added that he doesn't hold any animosity towards the Lions for what transpired the last two off-seasons.

"I think that takes more effort to be mad and hold a grudge,'' said Simon. "I move on. I'm looking forward to my next career and I'm happy with my decision and whatever else happens.''
Lions general manager and vice-president of football operations Wally Buono - who made the call not to bring Simon back as a player - said honouring him was "a no brainer.''

"I want to thank Geroy for making this happen because he could have been difficult to deal with,'' said Buono. "He was, as he always is, a great pro, a great human being.''
Now working as a scout for Saskatchewan, Simon was taken aback that his former club would reach out so quickly and honour him on July 25 against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, coincidentally the team that gave him his start in the CFL.

"It was totally unexpected. I didn't expect it,'' he said. "I was shocked but happy and pleased with the organization.''
Prior to the game, Buono said there was nothing awkward when the Lions approached Simon about honouring his number, even though they dealt him prior to last season and declined to bring him back in 2014.

"It's business. Nothing was done on a personal level. When you ask me who one of my all-time favourite players is, I'm going to say Geroy,'' said Buono. "He was a tremendous warrior for us, a tremendous ambassador in the community.

"It was tough last year. It was tough to cross that bridge that we had to separate with Geroy. It was tough to know that we were going to line up without Geroy.''
"He responded well to the challenges. The thing about players is you want them to be able to withstand the expectation and the pressure,'' he said.

"When you're the No. 1 receiver year in and year out, there's a tremendous price to pay because everybody's on you, everybody's after you, defences are made to stop you but Geroy overcame all that.

"He was always a guy that worked hard, was very humble, was great in the locker-room and was a superstar in the community.''
Very gracious of Wally. One of his many attributes.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WCJ
I give Wally Buono a lot of credit for being able to understand things from these players' perspectives which are not always going to be how he thinks they should do things or act.

He has been fair to even existing players and I recall when Jarius Jackson expressed frustration at his QB situation how Wally was fine with that whereas other coaches might rightly be livid.

Simon is like a number of these elite athletes - very close to a an "I" statement versus a "we."

Good example and one that grates me is the Ronaldo Tweets about Klose tying his World Cup goal scoring record sent whose team just got drubbed and looked awful in their 4 - 0 loss to the Germans:

These say to me - it's more about we.
Welcome to the club #Klose
5:26 AM - 22 Jun 2014
And
Bem-vindo ao clube #klose imagino a tua felicidade!!!! Que bela copa!!!

But as much as these superstars annoy you with their egos at times is their brilliance and how exciting they were.

I'm glad the Lions saw this opportunity - looked quite scrambled together no doubt based on their knowing Geroy was attending as a Roughrider official at this game.

Don't let the thing fester like Bure and the Canucks - do it fast and get it to rest.

I'm with Hambone on this HOF issue. I think they should go in in the last team uni they played in BUT shown too in photos for the other teams such as Geroy 12 years in the Lions uni.

Even Geroy has said himself how earlier he focused just on what he did.

Kind of like the rep Bure had... he'd go nuts if he scored and his team was being hammered (or so the word on the street goes).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

No. That applies only in Baseball, where guys go in wearing a cap of a particular team. The remainder of the sports do head shots or busts and lists teams as part of the biography. This includes the CFLHOF.

Not a big fan of him wearing that Riders shirt. No need to take a beef with the organization out on the fans that paid your salary for a dozen years by doing that.
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:WCJ
I give Wally Buono a lot of credit for being able to understand things from these players' perspectives which are not always going to be how he thinks they should do things or act.

He has been fair to even existing players and I recall when Jarius Jackson expressed frustration at his QB situation how Wally was fine with that whereas other coaches might rightly be livid.

Simon is like a number of these elite athletes - very close to a an "I" statement versus a "we."

Good example and one that grates me is the Ronaldo Tweets about Klose tying his World Cup goal scoring record sent whose team just got drubbed and looked awful in their 4 - 0 loss to the Germans:

These say to me - it's more about we.
Welcome to the club #Klose
5:26 AM - 22 Jun 2014
And
Bem-vindo ao clube #klose imagino a tua felicidade!!!! Que bela copa!!!

But as much as these superstars annoy you with their egos at times is their brilliance and how exciting they were.

I'm glad the Lions saw this opportunity - looked quite scrambled together no doubt based on their knowing Geroy was attending as a Roughrider official at this game.

Don't let the thing fester like Bure and the Canucks - do it fast and get it to rest.

I'm with Hambone on this HOF issue. I think they should go in in the last team uni they played in BUT shown too in photos for the other teams such as Geroy 12 years in the Lions uni.

Even Geroy has said himself how earlier he focused just on what he did.

Kind of like the rep Bure had... he'd go nuts if he scored and his team was being hammered (or so the word on the street goes).
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:
No. That applies only in Baseball, where guys go in wearing a cap of a particular team. The remainder of the sports do head shots or busts and lists teams as part of the biography. This includes the CFLHOF.

Not a big fan of him wearing that Riders shirt. No need to take a beef with the organization out on the fans that paid your salary for a dozen years by doing that.
Simon works for the Riders and was doing some scouting while there so why wouldn't he wear a Riders shirt. Now if he comes dressed in green when they put him in the Ring of Honour, well that would be different.

While you may have a beef with Simon, don't expect that it follows that he has a beef with the Lions.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:

Thanks for the info, cromartie.

I've been to Cooperstown and Canton. Like peaking into Valhalla.

Have not visited the CFL Hall. Maybe sometime.

Points well made, Toppy.

I commented earlier on Wally's graciousness. Another attribute he has shown over his long career is the ability to keep his ego in check. The soundness of his team and his organization always guide his decisions.

Rammer, that is too funny.
Simon said he now wants to build his front-office resume in hopes of one day running a CFL team.

"In 10 years I see myself as being a GM or an president of an organization,'' he said. "I want to be running the show somewhere.

"I'm not done (winning Grey Cups). I'm going to win a few more.''
Geroy has his foot in the door in Regina, but not much more than that it seems. Ten years to the top of a CFL team? To the presidency? One route is by way of coaching. Another route is business management. And so much of it comes down to the quality of one's decisions. Keeping the ego out of it. Has that bridge in Vancouver been rebuilt yet? No foot in the door yet in Vancouver, but he does have that spot on the Wall.