CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I'd never heard of it either but I'll try to catch it. I wonder how they promote a show like this if hard-core football fans haven't heard of it.
I just spotted a write up for it while perusing the upcoming listings on my cable feed. I'm with you, how are we going to watch unless we know its on? Now we know, I hope they put out something worth seeing.................
You'd think they would run promos for it during the games themselves, but I haven't noticed this. And it's not like you never hear Cuthbert, Miller and Black plugging other programming at all.
I don't know if anyone else caught it? I did. Its okay I guess. The four games are broken into, IIRC, equal segments. Some pre-game speechs by the coachs. Lots of highlights from each game. Pretty much just a solid RECAP of every game.

This length of recap is okay if you missed a game. Like I missed the Argo/Stamps game and heard the storylines (like Argos big lead melts away, Cornish has a monster game, Nik Lewis went on a tirade), so I was able to fill in a lot of the details simply because this is a solid highlight recap of the game.

Then again, recaps and the sports highlights DO NOT actually show how a game turned out, IMO. For e.g. the Bighill fumble recovery was not shown nor the missed field goal review play. Both big plays but they can't show EVERY SINGLE one in a recap.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:I just spotted a write up for it while perusing the upcoming listings on my cable feed. I'm with you, how are we going to watch unless we know its on? Now we know, I hope they put out something worth seeing.................
You'd think they would run promos for it during the games themselves, but I haven't noticed this. And it's not like you never hear Cuthbert, Miller and Black plugging other programming at all.
I don't know if anyone else caught it? I did. Its okay I guess. The four games are broken into, IIRC, equal segments. Some pre-game speechs by the coachs. Lots of highlights from each game. Pretty much just a solid RECAP of every game.

This length of recap is okay if you missed a game. Like I missed the Argo/Stamps game and heard the storylines (like Argos big lead melts away, Cornish has a monster game, Nik Lewis went on a tirade), so I was able to fill in a lot of the details simply because this is a solid highlight recap of the game.

Then again, recaps and the sports highlights DO NOT actually show how a game turned out, IMO. For e.g. the Bighill fumble recovery was not shown nor the missed field goal review play. Both big plays but they can't show EVERY SINGLE one in a recap.
Darn, I missed it. So it was nothing but highlights of last week's games? I was hoping for more than just that, since the league already posts highlight videos for every game on their website. They generally run around 6-8 minutes, so you could just view four of these online in about the same amount of time. Maybe throw in some panel discussion of team/league issues, player interviews and previews of upcoming games, but I guess they can only pack so much into 30 minutes. But they have five channels to fill now; perhaps they could make it CFL 60?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Darn, I missed it. So it was nothing but highlights of last week's games? I was hoping for more than just that, since the league already posts highlight videos for every game on their website. They generally run around 6-8 minutes, so you could just view four of these online in about the same amount of time. Maybe throw in some panel discussion of team/league issues, player interviews and previews of upcoming games, but I guess they can only pack so much into 30 minutes. But they have five channels to fill now; perhaps they could make it CFL 60?
Maybe just those actual recaps just broadcasted on TV rather being watched off the net......

I'd love to see some panel stuff and make it a longer show if needed....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton leading Edmonton 17-15 with 11 minutes remaining. Could they hang on ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton wins 25-23 :thup: Ti-Cats undefeated in their new home.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hamilton beat Edmonton 25-23 in an exciting game. The East is 2-0 against the West this week, with two more interlocking games scheduled for Sunday. Will Calgary an Saskatchewan be next to fall?
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Hamilton beat Edmonton 25-23 in an exciting game. The East is 2-0 against the West this week, with two more interlocking games scheduled for Sunday. Will Calgary an Saskatchewan be next to fall?
Go East Go! Too bad the Lions set the table for this weekend.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I'd rather have coach Benny speak his mind than have him act tight lipped with the media like the Bombers HC O'Shea.
That is not speaking his mind - that's just plain stupid talk that divides his players. Even if the player is fine with this sort of public suggestion that the player more interested in his streak than helping his team OTHER players hear this and it makes them think - that could be me this guy is slamming.

A lot of loose lips by the HC like this sort of thing damages his overall effectiveness and players tune him out.

Then you get these things happening to the team:
* undisciplined play and penalties
* missed or improperly executed assignments
--- defence missing tackles - no extra effort to catch a guy going to the end zone
---offence missing blocks - no extra effort to stretch out for a pass or to make that crunching block that lifts the team.
* FG hold not great and now steady Eddy is missing chip shots and frustration setting in so you see it on TV post play.
* uninspired play and effort collectively
* players celebrating their personal achievements when they are getting beaten like a rented mule.

You know - the kind of things that turned up last night to lose to the Argos.

No person has ever been motivated by a personal attack their character.

Did that player play last night by the way?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
DanoT wrote:I'd rather have coach Benny speak his mind than have him act tight lipped with the media like the Bombers HC O'Shea.
That is not speaking his mind - that's just plain stupid talk that divides his players. Even if the player is fine with this sort of public suggestion that the player more interested in his streak than helping his team OTHER players hear this and it makes them think - that could be me this guy is slamming.

A lot of loose lips by the HC like this sort of thing damages his overall effectiveness and players tune him out.

Then you get these things happening to the team:
* undisciplined play and penalties
* missed or improperly executed assignments
--- defence missing tackles - no extra effort to catch a guy going to the end zone
---offence missing blocks - no extra effort to stretch out for a pass or to make that crunching block that lifts the team.
* FG hold not great and now steady Eddy is missing chip shots and frustration setting in so you see it on TV post play.
* uninspired play and effort collectively
* players celebrating their personal achievements when they are getting beaten like a rented mule.

You know - the kind of things that turned up last night to lose to the Argos.

No person has ever been motivated by a personal attack their character.

Did that player play last night by the way?
I'm still glad the HC spoke his mind otherwise how would we know if there is anything there? :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Hamilton beat Edmonton 25-23 in an exciting game. The East is 2-0 against the West this week, with two more interlocking games scheduled for Sunday. Will Calgary an Saskatchewan be next to fall?
Really thought the ESks were gonna to take this one last night. They got themselves out to quite a lead but it ended badly for the Esks....

I guess Hamilton is gonna be one of those BOTH teams on one side stadiums. I couldn't quite figure out for sure but think thats the setup.

Tim Horton's Field IS GOING TO BE one of those stadiums whereby the coin toss will change things a bit. The wind/rain that impacted yesterdays game (and actual scoring) will have to be factored into choices.

(hope I don't get flamed by his dad for saying this but.... :wink: ) The bearded one, Hugh O'Neill, needs to practice some different concepts in the kicking game. Poor guy hit the uprights nullifying an almost 70 yard rouge. IMO, and it'll seem like I hate him (I don't), he messed up MOST chances he was given by his team to help them in this game. I don't know if the Eskimos have a 'consultant' the way the Lions do. I hope O'Neill gets things figured out and has a long CFL career whereever it ends up being because, IMO, he's been struggling for as few seasons now....
pennw
Legend

And Montreal knocks off the Stamps . So far 3-0 for the East this week , at least our rivals are losing this week too . Now we just need the Redblacks pull off a win .
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ottawa leading the Riders 15-10 with 2 minutes in the 1st half. Riders got away with a contacting the kicker penalty and Weston Dressler took advantage by returning the punt for a touchdown
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

RedBlacks responded with a touchdown of their own. Now leading 22-10 at the half.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:RedBlacks responded with a touchdown of their own. Now leading 22-10 at the half.
Wild OT finish.

Ssk was down 8 on their penultimate offensive series of Q4, exploited two Ott DB injuries to pass their way to a TD and game-tying 2PC to make it 32-32 and set up OT.

Burris & Ott were up first in OT and got picked off on their first play to give Ssk what should have been a fairly easy shot at the win. They attempted a GWFG that went wide, Ott kicked it back out, just barely staying in bounds at the back of the endzone in the process and thereby avoiding the game-winning rouge.

Then Ssk took their 2nd OT series, kicked a FG to go up three, 35-32.

Ott on their 2nd series was 3rd & 5 in FG range after overcoming a sack that had taken them out of range. Rather than gamble for a first down and keep their winning hopes alive they elected to kick for the tie but it was partially blocked and didn't even reach the goal line. Ssk recovered FTW, game over and an eastern sweep on the week is averted, although I would have preferred us doing that honours.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wow what a finish !! Burris was terrible in overtime. Throwing an easy interception in the 1st overtime, then getting sacked for a huge loss in the 2nd overtime. I think conservative playcalling ultimately cost the RedBlacks their 1st road win. They were deep in Rider territory late in the game, instead of trying to score a touchdown which would have sealed the deal, they ran 2 conservative running plays then kicked a field goal for a 8 pt. lead. Rider promptly marched the length of the field to tie the game.