Lions' O Line for 2014 - Montreal shows how to build an OL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:With Valli it's not a physical limitation but a mental limitation......it's the reason that he couldn't cut it at center.......just doesn't have the mental sharpness required.

He struggles with pass blocking because of split second decisions that need to be made when deciding who/where you need to block.......how many times have you seen him pissed off at himself, because of stunting dlineman and he's either made the wrong decision or too late making the right one?

Lloyd you are on fire of late...brilliant post(s)...Valli is a nice guy, but not the smartest guy and his decision making is awful...which is why opposing DCs stunt to Valli's side, and blitz through his gap...there are many times when Valli will be faced with 2 defenders in his gap on a pass play and end up NOT BLOCKING EITHER OF THEM...

Sorry Joe, Valli is a backup at this stage of his career, nothing more...and if we try to start him for 18 games, Lulay is going to get killed again...

I said this 2 months ago...the single biggest key to this off season was going to be Hunter Steward signing with the Lions...somehow getting Danny Watkins would be outstanding as well...has anyone heard ANYTHING about Watkin's plans for this year??? Who knows...Steward might be able to start at RT this year with Jovan moving to LT...that would be HUGE! If not an interior line of Fabian, Norman and Steward would be mouth drooling good for a long time...and Olafoye will be a rock at LT...
Thank you for the compliment......The CFL in general and the Lions specifically have been my passion/hobby for decades....I may not have played/coached, but I've followed and observed closely for a long time.

As for starting Steward at OT......in order to start a NI, you must have a quality NI backup for that position.....that's why getting Danny Watkins is critical. Watkins is more seasoned and could easily start at RT, giving Stewart time to develop while backing up both Tackle positions.

The other thing that would be GREAT about the move.....it would allow us to start an import at a Guard position.....a powerful, young import Guard would do wonders for our inside running game, short yardage sneaks and pass protection in general.

As I've said before......everybody down on our knees (you too Wally)....and pray that the Lions can sign both Watkins and Steward.....it would be a HUGE step towards a Grey Cup appearance in 2014.
Lloyd
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm also of the belief that Valli is not a bona fide starter. He's had chances in the past (both at centre and guard) and has found himself on the bench.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

So far, it seems to me, David, BCFAN and myself are amongst the few fans, or supporters, that have expressed some faith in Dean Valli. Well, of course, Dan Dorazio, Mike Benevides and Wally Buono also have some faith in him.

Does anyone think he is about to be an All Star? Nah ... Some of us think he can be a pretty darn good run blocker. Some of us think he is a very serviceable component of the passing game as well, even though he looks lost at times out there in pass protection.

Personally I don't think you need the best O LIne in the league to win the title. Although IMO Regina might very well have had that last year. But it seems te me a good, hard working, competent O Line can be enough, with excellent "skill" position players on offence, and a rugged defence, to challenge for the Cup. I would be happy if we can get that (good, hard working, competent) from our O Line. I thought we had that in our stretch run last year, and that was with Dean Valli and Patrick Kabongo starting.

It seems Dean Valli is slated for a starting role this year, at this time. I will be delighted if he learns to play in a more relaxed manner, more aware of things, better able to make the game slow down for himself. Keep it simple. Let the athletic instincts prevail.

We will see. If our O LIne is healthy, if they can make good transitions to new positions, if we can get some depth (Hunter? Watkins? draft picks?), it will go a long way to allowing a potent offence for us. Hopefully we will not undergo mid-season change in philosophy of O Line play (Technical, physical, et cetera). Hopefully Khari Jones and Dan Dorazio can put effective pass blocking schemes in place from TC on. A vigorous run game will certainly help that.

Lots of concerns still with this unit.

Things are starting to heat up. Combines around the corner. Draft day coming up. TC in view off in the distance. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnHenry
Champion

As for starting Steward at OT......in order to start a NI, you must have a quality NI backup for that position.....that's why getting Danny Watkins is critical. Watkins is more seasoned and could easily start at RT, giving Stewart time to develop while backing up both Tackle positions.
Not sure why a guy who was a complete washout in the NFL could "start easily at RT" with the Lions?
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:
Not sure why a guy who was a complete washout in the NFL could "start easily at RT" with the Lions?
Jim Mills must have been a "complete washout" as well.......but he was one of the CFL's best for a number of years.

Obviously, Watkins has skills......otherwise he wouldn't have been a 1st Rd pick of the Eagles......he may not have lasted long down there, but he did get a chance to start and hone his skills.
As it seems that "desire to play" was an issue in the NFL, he may be ready to rekindle that desire playing in a league that is widely recognized as being more fun than the NFL.....and coming home may just be what the doctor ordered.

IMHO, his playing experience in the NFL makes him as ready to start as any import coming up......definitely more so, than a fresh out of college Hunter Steward.
Lloyd
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnHenry wrote:
I'm not sure Watkins was a "complete washout" but obviously he is not good enough to garner "former 1st round draft pick" money. There may also issues with playing an additional year resulting in being vested or not in the NFL Pension. In any event he has NFL playing time which puts him ahead of any other NI on the Lions O line.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

But has anyone heard what Watkins plans are? Is he planning on talking to the Lions?
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:But has anyone heard what Watkins plans are? Is he planning on talking to the Lions?
Yeah, that's the question, isn't it. I think we may be way ahead of ourselves here anticipating both Steward and Watkins in TC.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 says the Lions are expected to annoucne the signing of Hunter Steward "in the next day or two." I'm not sure whether the Lions plan to try him at guard or tackle, but he would greatly improve the Lions' non-import depth on the line.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 says the Lions are expected to annoucne the signing of Hunter Steward "in the next day or two." I'm not sure whether the Lions plan to try him at guard or tackle, but he would greatly improve the Lions' non-import depth on the line.
:thup: :thup:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 says the Lions are expected to annoucne the signing of Hunter Steward "in the next day or two." I'm not sure whether the Lions plan to try him at guard or tackle, but he would greatly improve the Lions' non-import depth on the line.
:thup: :thup:
Very cool.

If it happens, I would say the gamble paid off, just as the futures game comes to an end.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

pennw
Legend

It seems to me at the time of that draft many were scratching their heads over the Hunter Steward pick ( me too ) as though it was almost a waste of a pick . Now many are seeing it differently .Hope he turns out to be a good pick for us .Perhaps Wally still knows what he's doing , some of the recent drafts netted us Kirby Fabien , Jabar Westerman and now , maybe Steward as well . Good picks really .

Hopefully Westerman signs an extension and doesn't opt for moving closer to home when his contract is done . IMO , that factor should be considered when making draft picks .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I don't see an NFL team drafting Hunter Steward now that he is signed by the Lions. I kind of expect that he is pretty much off their radar for now.

If he blocks out the sun up here, he might get another look in a year or two.

He just might be very good up here. Huge frame. Got the length for tackle.

We may have turned things around with our NI O Line roster. We have had so many misses over the years. Now we have hit it over the fence with Matt Norman, Kirby Fabien and probably Hunter Steward. :thup:

Youth and talent and potential. Norman and Fabien have already showed very well during games.

And we may well draft another O Lineman this time around.

Wally is entitled to feel pretty good about the developments.

I enjoyed this interview. He talks about how he did enjoy playing defence: getting to tackle guys (before switching to O Line). LOL Confident. Speaks well.

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/95243

Steward in action ... One can see his length in the arms and legs here.

Dan Dorazio puts Hunter Steward through the paces ...

Are we going to sign Danny Watkins too? That would be amazing, and time to celebrate just a bit, on the personnel side. Hopefully it translates onto the field.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/03/26 ... ns-around/
Lions want to show Watkins around

March 26, 2014. 6:07 pm • Section: The Fifth Quarter

Lions want to show Watkins aroundPosted on Mar 26, 2014

Danny Watkins has been on the biggest stage in the NFL in every literal sense, when he was hugged by Roger Goddell as a first-round draft pick of the Philadelphia Eagles at New York’s Radio City Music Hall. Surely what’s there not to like about the B.C. Lions and their slightly smaller stage not known as anything other than their Surrey practice facility?

Wally Buono would like to show the free agent offensive lineman what the CFL team is all about, perhaps ultimately convincing their 2010 top Canadian college draft pick there’s a career for him here yet. So far though, it hasn’t gone well. Buono and Watkins haven’t even spoken.

“We’ve talked to his agent. He said at this point he’s not even thinking about playing football,” Buono said of Watkins, who couldn’t get on the field with the Miami Dolphins last year even when they lost three starters amid the mayhem which existed around that NFL team last year.

“Now, does that mean he’s not thinking about playing in the NFL? It’s been a rough two years for him. If we can talk to him, host him, see the facility, maybe we can excite him a little bit, maybe we can’t.”

Talk about Watkins was under discussion because the Lions had announced the signing of 2013 top pick Hunter Steward, and as the news was at least five hours old it was incumbent to find a better angle.

For starters though, the Lions will try to make a comfortable home for Steward, which could be a debate but probably won’t at least until next season. Having only played exactly 22 games at left tackle at college, Steward isn’t exactly going to be a natural at guard. And as Buono noted, Kirby Fabien was an CIS all-star at tackle at the University of Calgary.

It’s possible therefore ro contemplate Steward and Fabien at the position, leaving Patrick Kabongo and Dean Valli at guard. Possible, but not likely. Yet the Lions still say finding a long-term non-import tackle is still a worthy consideration.

“If we wanted to change the ratio we have two guys who are both big linemen. I don’t think we’ve been in this position for years. You’ve got to play your non-imports because athletically it’s the first thing you look at,” Buono said. “Right now though, I wouldn’t say that’s something we’d look at for 2014.”

There you go: Chad Johnson has a better chance to play for the Lions. But if they got a good West Kelowna guy like Watkins to fall in love with the true treasures of Surrey, who knows? More in the paper tomorrow.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally Buono would like to show the free agent offensive lineman what the CFL team is all about, perhaps ultimately convincing their 2010 top Canadian college draft pick there’s a career for him here yet. So far though, it hasn’t gone well. Buono and Watkins haven’t even spoken.

“We’ve talked to his agent. He said at this point he’s not even thinking about playing football,” Buono said of Watkins, who couldn’t get on the field with the Miami Dolphins last year even when they lost three starters amid the mayhem which existed around that NFL team last year.

“Now, does that mean he’s not thinking about playing in the NFL? It’s been a rough two years for him. If we can talk to him, host him, see the facility, maybe we can excite him a little bit, maybe we can’t.”
I had a hunch Danny Watkins may have lost the fire in the belly necessary to play pro football. Maybe he never even had that much love for the game. He started football late. He has amazing physical strength, agility and all the rest.

Well the CFL is less of a grind than the NFL. More fun for less money can be had. And post-football careers can be built. And some guys can even moonlight at the fire hall. Hello Bret Anderson.

It would be nice if Danny Watkins lets Wally show him around the facility. See the vibe of the CFL. Talk about fire fighting. Who knows? Be nice to get him here.
For starters though, the Lions will try to make a comfortable home for Steward, which could be a debate but probably won’t at least until next season. Having only played exactly 22 games at left tackle at college, Steward isn’t exactly going to be a natural at guard. And as Buono noted, Kirby Fabien was an CIS all-star at tackle at the University of Calgary.

It’s possible therefore ro contemplate Steward and Fabien at the position, leaving Patrick Kabongo and Dean Valli at guard. Possible, but not likely. Yet the Lions still say finding a long-term non-import tackle is still a worthy consideration.
I don't really like this changing back and forth as much as some pro teams do. Can mess a guy up. Why not just train Steward at tackle. He is very tall for a guard.

[Let's make Jason Arakgi a safety. Or possibly a wide receiver. Let's make Andrew Harris a receiver. Let's convert Andrew Jones to O Line from D Line. Dean Valli to centre.]
“If we wanted to change the ratio we have two guys who are both big linemen. I don’t think we’ve been in this position for years. You’ve got to play your non-imports because athletically it’s the first thing you look at,” Buono said. “Right now though, I wouldn’t say that’s something we’d look at for 2014.”
Yes, in Buono's time here, we have never been really deep in NI O Linemen. Recall Cory Mantyka playing tackle with one functional arm. Moe Elewonibi playing out the end of his football time here. Bates, Reid and Sherko in the middle with imports Murphy and Jimenez was by far our best time in the O Line. Other times we got by and made do.