Lions' O Line for 2014 - Montreal shows how to build an OL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:According to LU, the Lions plan to start...Dean Valli at right guard
Oh please no....
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:According to LU, the Lions plan to start...Dean Valli at right guard
Oh please no....
Not sure how the human turnstile, aka Dean Valli, could ever be considered "set" in a starting position....IMHO, he barely qualifies as a seldom used backup.

We better all pray that the Lions can sign both Hunter Steward and Danny Watkins......IMHO, the Lions oline would/could be a powerful, dominating line with Olafioye @ LT, a powerful, new import @ LG, Norman @ C, Fabien @ RG and Watkins @ RT.......with Steward and the Lions' 2014 1st Rd draft pick as backups........kinda makes my mouth water (in a manly, non-gay way).
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:According to LU, the Lions plan to start Olafioye at left tackle, Fabien at left guard, Norman at centre, Dean Valli at right guard and a new import at right tackle. Patrick Kabongo is available if Fabien isn't fully recovered from knee surgery.
On the o-line, Matt Norman and Dean Valli are set. Jovan Olafioye will move to left tackle. Patrick Kabongo is also available at left guard if Fabien isn’t all the way from his torn ACL. B.C. will sign at least four imports to contest right tackle at training camp and go heavy on linemen in the Canadian draft. It’s a workable template. All they need is to go five months without an injury.
LU has lots of other Lion and league news and notes the first of his weekly Uproar blogs for 2014 here.
In the minority here it seems. Dean Valli does a good job run blocking. He has size and strength. In our 2013 stretch drive he deseves credit for both run blocking and pass blocking. Some bullfighter blocks here and there? Sure. But that has happened to all of our O Linemen at times in this regime.

Olafioye, Fabien, Norman, Valli and Mr. X sound to me like a workable unit. Still lacking depth, however. Getting Steward signed will help. Danny Watkins? He needs to have the fire in the belly to play football. Whether he has that is a big question. If he does, fine. We can use him.

Along with Dean Valli, I like Patrick Kabongo also. Limited in what he brings? Sure. But he can play. And he can contribute. Regarding Valli and Kabongo, I seem to be in some agreement with Dorazio, Benevides and Buono. Both have started on Grey Cup championship teams. They can play.

Still lots of question marks with this group. Health issues. Lack of depth. New positions. On and on ...

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:In the minority here it seems. Dean Valli does a good job run blocking. He has size and strength. In our 2013 stretch drive he deseves credit for both run blocking and pass blocking. Some bullfighter blocks here and there? Sure. But that has happened to all of our O Linemen at times in this regime.

Olafioye, Fabien, Norman, Valli and Mr. X sound to me like a workable unit. Still lacking depth, however. Getting Steward signed will help. Danny Watkins? He needs to have the fire in the belly to play football. Whether he has that is a big question. If he does, fine. We can use him.

Along with Dean Valli, I like Patrick Kabongo also. Limited in what he brings? Sure. But he can play. And he can contribute. Regarding Valli and Kabongo, I seem to be in some agreement with Dorazio, Benevides and Buono. Both have started on Grey Cup championship teams. They can play.

Still lots of question marks with this group. Health issues. Lack of depth. New positions. On and on ...

Just IMO ...
Yes, Valli did well in all facets of the game in the stretch drive. He is a powerful run blocker. Dorazio's "good girth" observation has held up well.

I think the Eskimos, Bombers and RedBlacks would love to have the Lions' depth on the O-line, particularly with a couple of solid draft choices in Steward and Watkins who could yet sign with the team.
David
Team Captain

Glad to see that it's not just me that thinks highly of Valli. I know he takes some heat on this board, but he's still a serviceable component on the O-line. Has he fulfilled the promise of a #1 pick and the effusive praise of Dan Dorazio? Not really, but I don't think he deserves the handle "human turnstile" either.

Consider that he played a good part of 2012 on only one good leg (how exactly does one gain pass blocking leverage that way?). I thought he was very good down the stretch last year, and to WCJ and B.C.FAN's point, is a strong run blocker. He does need to keep his head in the game though and not take dumb procedure and, to a lesser extent, holding penalties.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

Run blocking is fine (and most, if not all, O-linemen prefer it to pass-blocking), but a starting O-lineman has to be able to pass-block too (and Valli is just terrible at this), and with what might be a rather fragile QB in Lulay, we can't afford to start guys who aren't going to keep pass-rushers off him. In my view a priority for the Lions this season should be to protect Lulay--particularly now that we don't have a proven or credible backup.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Run blocking is fine (and most, if not all, O-linemen prefer it to pass-blocking), but a starting O-lineman has to be able to pass-block too (and Valli is just terrible at this), and with what might be a rather fragile QB in Lulay, we can't afford to start guys who aren't going to keep pass-rushers off him. In my view a priority for the Lions this season should be to protect Lulay--particularly now that we don't have a proven or credible backup.
CFL is essentially a passing league.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

With Valli it's not a physical limitation but a mental limitation......it's the reason that he couldn't cut it at center.......just doesn't have the mental sharpness required.

He struggles with pass blocking because of split second decisions that need to be made when deciding who/where you need to block.......how many times have you seen him pissed off at himself, because of stunting dlineman and he's either made the wrong decision or too late making the right one?
Lloyd
South Pender
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:With Valli it's not a physical limitation but a mental limitation......it's the reason that he couldn't cut it at center.......just doesn't have the mental sharpness required.

He struggles with pass blocking because of split second decisions that need to be made when deciding who/where you need to block.......how many times have you seen him pissed off at himself, because of stunting dlineman and he's either made the wrong decision or too late making the right one?
I think it's more than that. He seems to lack good footwork and looks slow at times.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I support Dean Valli, obviously from my comments. Having played and coached many sports, I have opinions on the physical side of games, the mental side, and the emotional side.

It seems to me, seeing his play, seeing his reactions, hearing about migraines or headaches, I get the strong impression that he is not a relaxed athlete. He is too tense. He tries too hard. Too much stuff in the head. These traits are just not easy to eliminate. Sometimes a certain kind of coaching can help an athlete relax, and let the game come to him. But to me that is a rare coach. Most coaches, it seems to me, crank up the pressure. Give too much stuff to keep in mind.

One has hopes that with his experience, with the faith the Lions have shown in him, that Valli can learn to take a more relaxed approach to the game. Relaxed is not quite the right word. Football is a violent game. Rather than relaxed, I might use the phrase staying cool under pressure, staying able to focus, so that things are not happening too fast out there.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
OV - 54:40
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
South Pender wrote:Run blocking is fine (and most, if not all, O-linemen prefer it to pass-blocking), but a starting O-lineman has to be able to pass-block too (and Valli is just terrible at this), and with what might be a rather fragile QB in Lulay, we can't afford to start guys who aren't going to keep pass-rushers off him. In my view a priority for the Lions this season should be to protect Lulay--particularly now that we don't have a proven or credible backup.
CFL is essentially a passing league.

^^^
this; mind you, the Lions could think of going to way more run game with 2 excellent backs in Harris & Logan, and then a good run blocker has more value; but if you are still a mostly pass offence, then a weak pass blocking guard (either of Valli or Kabongo perhaps), is a liability.

Getting both Watkins ( a guard in the NFL but maybe could play OT in the CFL?) and Steward, could be huge for the Lions O-Line - to supplement quality young guys in Norman & Fabien + Oliafoye as a fixure at OT - then you might be talking best O-Line in the CFL territory. :roar:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:With Valli it's not a physical limitation but a mental limitation......it's the reason that he couldn't cut it at center.......just doesn't have the mental sharpness required.

I think it's more than that. He seems to lack good footwork and looks slow at times.
Unless he catches a screen pass
MexicoLionFan
Legend

EXACTLY...look Valli is a nice guy, and he's had good stretches for the Leos, but he is no longer starting material...I like him as a depth player but not as a starter...for anyone here who doesn't want to take SP's word on Valli's pass blocking abilities last year, just go over ANY game replay of the last 9 games and watch...it was appalling...

As SP said, with the running game that we have, our #1 priority for this season should be PROTECTING Travis Lulay...with our RBs, and our new OC, Lulay could be headed to an MOP season...but he needs protection, and Valli has shown he can't do that...all opposing DCs blitz players through Valli's gap for a reason...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Lloyd you are on fire of late...brilliant post(s)...Valli is a nice guy, but not the smartest guy and his decision making is awful...which is why opposing DCs stunt to Valli's side, and blitz through his gap...there are many times when Valli will be faced with 2 defenders in his gap on a pass play and end up NOT BLOCKING EITHER OF THEM...

Sorry Joe, Valli is a backup at this stage of his career, nothing more...and if we try to start him for 18 games, Lulay is going to get killed again...

I said this 2 months ago...the single biggest key to this off season was going to be Hunter Steward signing with the Lions...somehow getting Danny Watkins would be outstanding as well...has anyone heard ANYTHING about Watkin's plans for this year??? Who knows...Steward might be able to start at RT this year with Jovan moving to LT...that would be HUGE! If not an interior line of Fabian, Norman and Steward would be mouth drooling good for a long time...and Olafoye will be a rock at LT...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

It would be great to get Hunter Steward, and I really hope we do. At 6-7, 315, I think he's a more-natural OT than G, and if he is good enough, he might be the answer at RT, with Olafioye moving to LT. He seems too tall to play guard, but probably has the wingspan to play tackle well. This would give us the three NI O-linemen we've had, and Wally could search for an import G, maintaining the present ratio. (This is all assuming that, for some reason, we don't get Danny Watkins, which, frankly, has to be considered a long-shot IMO.) Failing that--i.e., Steward ending up at guard--we need a new, young import RT, and you'd have to think that there are some out there. Unless Steward turns out to be too green to start, needing a lot of development, I don't see why we should have to start Valli. I agree with MLF here: Valli is at best a backup.