Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Seahawks Open the Vault for Richard Sherman:

Richard Sherman announces deal, says he’s getting $40 million guaranteed
Posted by Josh Alper on May 7, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

The Seahawks are holding a press conference at 2 p.m. ET and they will indeed be announcing an extension with cornerback Richard Sherman.

They won’t be the first to announce it, however. Sherman has already taken care of that.

On his blog, Sherman called himself “blessed to announce” that he had signed a contract that would keep him in Seattle for several more years. Sherman also went a step further and announced the terms of the deal. He says he’s getting a four-year extension with a total value of $57.4 million. Sherman adds that $40 million of that money is guaranteed, although he stops short of sharing whether or not those are full guarantees or guaranteed against injury only.

As Jay Glazer of FOX Sports initially reported, the deal makes Sherman the highest-paid cornerback in the league. With Earl Thomas leading the list at safety, the Seahawks secondary is now being paid at a level commensurate with the widely-held belief that it is the best secondary in the game.

Holy Moses, that seems like an awful lot for a guy not lining up under center. Is Sherman (or any DB) worth $14.5M a year? Yikes.... :dizzy:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:wink:
South Pender wrote:Holy Moses, that seems like an awful lot for a guy not lining up under center. Is Sherman (or any DB) worth $14.5M a year? Yikes.... :dizzy:

Seems like a lot to me too! In terms of being worth 14.5 M, my perspective is ALWAYS NO but in reality it is a purrfect example of the free market. You've got Doctors/Nurses saving peoples lives in emergency rooms, Soldiers defending 'freedom' etc... all certainly not making a MILLION let alone 14.5 but we don't pay big bucks for Soldiers and Healthcare Workers. What is puzzling but also makes sense, is a GREAT DB simply will not get the ball thrown his way too often (and still find ways to get INTS/TACKLES etc...). Hopefully Sherman can afford to take his friend Crabtree out for a couple of drinks....
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:Hopefully Sherman can afford to take his friend Crabtree out for a couple of drinks....
LOL. :wink:

I guess we have to assume that John/Pete have left enough in the vault for Dangerruss next offseason.

So, the NFL draft kicks off tomorrow. I doubt that I'll actually watch it, but for those who wish to, here are the details about its TV coverage (from Chris Carlson of syracuse.com):

The 2014 NFL Draft is being televised live on the NFL Network and ESPN's platform of channels from Thursday to Saturday.

The NFL Network will have televised coverage from the first pick to the last, while ESPN will split up its broadcasts across ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.

The first round will be televised Thursday on ESPN from 8 to 11:30 p.m. The second and third rounds will be split between ESPN and ESPN2 on Friday night. The first hour, from 7 to 8, will be televised on ESPN. ESPN2 will have coverage until 11:30.

Rounds 4 through 7 will be televised on ESPN on Saturday from noon until 8 p.m.

The times listed would be EDT.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote: .....
I guess we have to assume that John/Pete have left enough in the vault for Dangerruss next offseason.

So, the NFL draft kicks off tomorrow. I doubt that I'll actually watch it, but for those who wish to, .....

I am wondering about 'Dangeruss'. Lots of moolah is being tied in defensive stalwarts. Wilson DID NOT, IMO, have an amazing year last season. Terrible or not that good? No, I'm not saying that. Just saying he was a smaller part, IMO, of why they won. In fact, I would place that Dilferish label. In fact, IMO, the Superbowl was one of his better games of the season and he didn't even really seem needed too badly there. I do see him getting better and therefore they'll have to pay him. It will be nice to see him with some firepower (some Seattle recievers are going to hate me :wink: ) besides Lynch.
__________________________________-
I admit it, I would be watching but I'm at a work meeting tomorrow night. Finishes around sevenish, so I'll miss much of the first round, but I can catch it all on replay on NFL network. Probably won't bother to watch any of the other rounds but will probably be glued to the draft recap coverage. Its still TOO EARLY to do a full breakdown of the 2013 draft, IMO. Players need to get a chance to play, adjust to the NFL etc.... For e.g. Many would have said the Red...Oops Washington got the better QB after year one of Luck/RG3 but year two puts a different tinge on things. Won't be surprised if RG3 rebounds and has a much better year this year but that is in part because he was pretty bad, IMO, last season.

Round One is the round that gets all the TV cameras and interviews. But, teams like the Seahawks have DONE WELL in those other rounds. I have to admit I have never heard of a player like Manziel who some say COULD go anywhere from first overall to perhaps even slipping into round TWO!!!! Okay, guess we may know one way or the other tomorrow night.
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:
South Pender wrote: .....

So, the NFL draft kicks off tomorrow. I doubt that I'll actually watch it, but for those who wish to, .....

I am wondering about 'Dangeruss'. Lots of moolah is being tied in defensive stalwarts. Wilson DID NOT, IMO, have an amazing year last season. Terrible or not that good? No, I'm not saying that. Just saying he was a smaller part, IMO, of why they won. In fact, I would place that Dilferish label. In fact, IMO, the Superbowl was one of his better games of the season and he didn't even really seem needed too badly there. I do see him getting better and therefore they'll have to pay him. It will be nice to see him with some firepower (some Seattle recievers are going to hate me :wink: ) besides Lynch.
__________________________________-
I admit it, I would be watching but I'm at a work meeting tomorrow night. Finishes around sevenish, so I'll miss much of the first round, but I can catch it all on replay on NFL network. Probably won't bother to watch any of the other rounds but will probably be glued to the draft recap coverage. Its still TOO EARLY to do a full breakdown of the 2013 draft, IMO. Players need to get a chance to play, adjust to the NFL etc.... For e.g. Many would have said the Red...Oops Washington got the better QB after year one of Luck/RG3 but year two puts a different tinge on things. Won't be surprised if RG3 rebounds and has a much better year this year but that is in part because he was pretty bad, IMO, last season.

Round One is the round that gets all the TV cameras and interviews. But, teams like the Seahawks have DONE WELL in those other rounds. I have to admit I have never heard of a player like Manziel who some say COULD go anywhere from first overall to perhaps even slipping into round TWO!!!! Okay, guess we may know one way or the other tomorrow night.
Interesting comments,as always, nota. I guess I see Wilson in a more positive light than you do. Here's why: The guy has a live arm and can really zing it into tight windows. He can also go deep when needed and seems to have excellent accuracy on most of his throws, along with touch when needed. He has enormous hands, and this undoubtedly helps. His throwing mechanics are very good, and he seems able to make just about any kind of throw on the run. In addition, he has 4.55 speed, which is excellent for a QB and about the same as Kaepernick, but he seems quicker (Kaep's a long strider) and is a great scrambler and play-extender. He also exudes confidence and leadership and seems very natural behind center. When you compare him to Luck, Kaepernick, and RGIII, here are the QB ratings averaged over the two seasons, 2012 and 2013: Luck: 80.4; RGIII: 91.7; Kaepernick: 93.9; and Wilson:100.8 (over 100 both years). So by this metric, anyway,Wilson has been the best of the big-name QB signings over the past two years. The Seahawks are a run-first team (and why not with Beast Mode?), so Wilson's number of passes per game is lower than that of many QBs. I think that, if Pete/John can get him one more really dependable receiver, we might see improvement in the passing game in 2014 even over last year's numbers.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Interesting comments,as always, nota. I guess I see Wilson in a more positive light than you do. Here's why: The guy has a live arm and can really zing it into tight windows. He can also go deep when needed and seems to have excellent accuracy on most of his throws, along with touch when needed. He has enormous hands, and this undoubtedly helps. His throwing mechanics are very good, and he seems able to make just about any kind of throw on the run. In addition, he has 4.55 speed, which is excellent for a QB and about the same as Kaepernick, but he seems quicker (Kaep's a long strider) and is a great scrambler and play-extender. He also exudes confidence and leadership and seems very natural behind center. When you compare him to Luck, Kaepernick, and RGIII, here are the QB ratings averaged over the two seasons, 2012 and 2013: Luck: 80.4; RGIII: 91.7; Kaepernick: 93.9; and Wilson:100.8 (over 100 both years). So by this metric, anyway,Wilson has been the best of the big-name QB signings over the past two years. The Seahawks are a run-first team (and why not with Beast Mode?), so Wilson's number of passes per game is lower than that of many QBs. I think that, if Pete/John can get him one more really dependable receiver, we might see improvement in the passing game in 2014 even over last year's numbers.
I've OBVIOUSLY misled you somewhere. Completely IGNORING the facts you listed in your post, I feel we probably have similar VISIONS for Dangeruss' future in Seattle/NFL. When one figures in the concepts like the 'one more dependable' reciever you mention, who knows where he ends up.

WIlson had the 'too small' label hung around his neck. He's tossed that to the side. Given a choice between Kaepernick, RG3 or Wilson, I feel safe in assuming YOU, like me would draft Wilson?

It obviously didn't come across well but part of what I was trying to get at is I STILL DON'T THINK he had a great season. More a comment on WHAT I THINK HE IS CAPABLE OF, in terms of what happened. A lot of it isn't even his fault (assuming my slight negativity). WHo calls the plays? Who does he have to throw to? Are they trying to 'groom' him?

So, I apologize for coming across as a Non-Wilson fan. He led my (our :wink: )Seahawks to their first championship. I give him credit for that BUT I WANT MORE and I think he can do it...... :popcorn:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Much heralded quarterback Johnny Manziel was the 2nd quarterback drafted - the 22nd overall selection.
South Pender
Legend

No, no...no big deal, nota. I get your point, and I agree that he can--and probably will--be more effective in the years ahead. But Seattle is a "system" team, with carefully coached and choreographed functions for each position. The point is to make things so well-planned that individual breakdowns from time to time will not result in serious damage. The offensive part of the system has a very clear role for Wilson, and he has filled it extremely well in his first two years. As he matures into his third and fourth seasons, we will, I think, see just how solid, and at times spectacular, he can be as a top-tier QB. About the only flaw I can see in his game (and it`s obviously not his fault) is his height and a lesser ability to see over the linemen as well as having the occasional pass blocked.

I was a little surprised the Seahawks traded down (with the Vikings) in the draft. They now pick at No. 8 in Round 2 (as well as their own pick at 32) and pick up an extra pick in Round 4--for 7 total picks instead of their previous 6. I guess John/Pete saw what was going to be left at the end of Round 1 and decided that sacrificing 8 picks (from last in Round 1 to 8th in Round 2) was a reasonable price to pay for getting the extra pick later. Navigating through a draft like this must take some real skill, tolerance for ambiguity, and adaptability. You have to be prepared to modify your plans with regard to which positions to draft for as you see who is being taken ahead of you. You might have hoped to draft a WR first, but by the time your pick comes, the guys you wanted are gone, so you go to Plan B and try to strengthen your O-line--a position (particularly guard) of concern for the team, and so on. John and Pete have built something of reputation for themselves for being adept at this, so it will be interesting to see how things unfold tomorrow as the Seahawks draft two in Round 2.
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Much heralded quarterback Johnny Manziel was the 2nd quarterback drafted - the 22nd overall selection.
Yeah... a bit of a surprise, I guess, if you believe all the hype put out by his entourage. The only question now, I think, is whether or not he`ll remain with the Browns (jeez what a fate!). I`ve found all the Johnny Manziel crap really off-putting--like applying for trademark rights for variations on his name, etc. Just too crass....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Much heralded quarterback Johnny Manziel was the 2nd quarterback drafted - the 22nd overall selection.
Yeah... a bit of a surprise, I guess, if you believe all the hype put out by his entourage. The only question now, I think, is whether or not he`ll remain with the Browns (jeez what a fate!). I`ve found all the Johnny Manziel crap really off-putting--like applying for trademark rights for variations on his name, etc. Just too crass....
I wasn't surprised that he slipped a bit in the first round. Part of his reputation is perhaps off-field stuff being a problem. He'll get a chance to shake that now that he's in the NFL. It comes with the territory. Some do shake it off while with others, the NFL is an even worse place to stay focussed on what you need to be doing.

:cr: I'm really hoping that teams DID NOT make a mistake by not drafting him (like so many did with Aaron R.).....
Saw a bit of the recap show. Wish I coulda watched the draft live but I had a work related meeting to attend. Got a similar one to attend tomorrow night too. The names may not be as familar but who gets taken by which team and in what round is going to be big for ALL rounds of the draft. IIRC, the Rodney Dangerfield of Cornerbacks, one Mr. Richard Sherman, was a 5 rounder. So there is hay to be made. In some ways it seems you may need to think a little outside the box and let these draftees know, PROVE THE OTHER 31 teams wrong by overlooking you!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Manziel is already alienating a lot of fans by walking on stage rubbing his fingers as in $$$$$$$

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=451650
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Manziel is already alienating a lot of fans by walking on stage rubbing his fingers as in $$$$$$$

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=451650
You really have to wonder about some of these guys. In the story you cite, TLK, we have this from Justin Gilbert, from Oklahoma State, also drafted by "The Factory of Sadness":

" 'I pretty much can do it all,' Gilbert said. 'I'm an all-around cornerback.' "

Now what's this? Do these guys have no class. We should be hearing (and do from some): "I'm just very grateful to be drafted by a great team, and I hope I can fulfill their expectations of me. I plan to work very hard to make the team." But no, we constantly get this "ain't I great?" stuff. What's going wrong in our culture that young men are growing up with this perspective? My guess is that it goes back to upbringing and the fact that many of the kids who end up in the NFL had tough, unstable childhoods and no male role model to teach them manners and some semblance of class.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

With this year's draft underway, here's a flashback to a classic draft moment from 20 years ago. Tobin's "jockstrap" takedown of Kiper at 3:27 was part of a 1040 sound bite collage for many years.
[video][/video]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

Great post, sj-roc! Until this week, I didn't know who Mel Kiper was, but I see he's still at it for ESPN--analyzing NFL drafts!

One of the things that bugs me about the pundits (like Kiper, but sports--and other--journalists in general) is the certainty with which most of them express their views. Maybe it's my training or the work I do, but to me very little is even close to certainty (certainly right or certainly wrong) that can't be examined empirically. The simple addition of "in my opinion (view, etc.)" would make it all seem better, but I may be alone in finding this tendency annoying. Another thing that these guys almost never do is admit that their opinion (which is all that it is) was not supported when subsequent events make this clear. They come out with pronouncements stated with great assurance that turn out to be completely disconfirmed by later developments, but we never hear an acknowledgement about it. In Kiper's case, it's interesting that he was so unqualifiedly promoting Trent Dilfer, a guy who never really lived up to First-Round expectations, with a lifetime NFL QB rating of only 70.2. He did manage to get a SB ring, though, but has come to epitomize the concept of a QB "managing an offense" (rather than making any substantial contributions to it).
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:One of the things that bugs me about the pundits (like Kiper, but sports--and other--journalists in general) is the certainty with which most of them express their views. Maybe it's my training or the work I do, but to me very little is even close to certainty (certainly right or certainly wrong) that can't be examined empirically. The simple addition of "in my opinion (view, etc.)" would make it all seem better, but I may be alone in finding this tendency annoying. Another thing that these guys almost never do is admit that their opinion (which is all that it is) was not supported when subsequent events make this clear. They come out with pronouncements stated with great assurance that turn out to be completely disconfirmed by later developments, but we never hear an acknowledgement about it. In Kiper's case, it's interesting that he was so unqualifiedly promoting Trent Dilfer, a guy who never really lived up to First-Round expectations, with a lifetime NFL QB rating of only 70.2. He did manage to get a SB ring, though, but has come to epitomize the concept of a QB "managing an offense" (rather than making any substantial contributions to it).
I think it has EVERYthing to do with your background if you're constantly dealing with issues that aren't simply black and white but rather have many shades of grey in between.

In pundit land, part of the job is not only stating an opinion but selling it. Speaking even more generally, any televised product will naturally thrive if there's some sort of conflict to be pointed out and then someone can point the way with certainty to a clear resolution.

I don't know if you've ever seen the biopic movie the CBC made on Don Cherry. I haven't myself, but I did see one scene of it somewhere, forget where or when, but anyway, the scene is from when he's just starting his first Coach's Corner gig in the early 1980s. His delivery on air in these early days is much as you've idealised, with all sorts of qualifications thrown into his opinions. After the segment wraps and they're off air, a producer comes up to him and says (paraphrase), "Listen, you gotta lay off with this 'I think' and 'maybe' crap. People are listening to you because YOU'RE the expert, you KNOW these things. No one want to hear a guy who comes off unsure of himself. Whatever you have to say from now on, say it like you MEAN it." Now, one might question the degree to which this scene was fictionalised, but one must admit it certainly fits in with what has unfolded over the last 30 years. At any rate, I've seen some old Coach's Corner vids on youtube from those early days and the ethos is completely different from what he has evolved into. He actually wore normal-looking suits in those days and even broke down some plays in an almost Howie Meeker style.

Here's an example. You can say what you like about Grapes, but I'd be hard pressed to believe he'd still be on Coach's Corner to this day if he'd stuck with this sort of on-air style. Sure he makes some interesting points about dumping the puck in versus shooting it, but there's a million other guys in hockey who could do this breakdown stuff and there's nothing about this video that would make you want to discuss it with someone at the water cooler at work on Monday (aside from the fact that it's so different from the style he evolved into as to be notable for this very reason, but of course I'm speaking only in the context of where we don't have the last 30 years of hindsight!).

[video][/video]

This sort of thing isn't even limited to sports. Look at how successful political campaigns are waged: you rarely see fine details of economic policy discussed in election debates; everyone is too busy trying to craft that Mulroney-esque "You had an option, sir" style of knockout punch/soundbite. Michael Ignatieff is probably the most recent example of someone who took this measured approach and look where it got him. It's probably not a coincidence that he was a lifelong academic before entering politics. One can argue that this happenstance comes to the detriment of society but to quote another pundit, it is what it is.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.