Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Here's some more idiotic talk from Richard Sherman (from Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk):

Sherman took issue with Welker’s words
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 9, 2014, 1:13 PM EST

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman apparently watched the Broncos’ portion of Super Bowl Media Day.

During Media Day, NFL Network’s Deion Sanders asked Broncos receiver Wes Welker if he would like to go head-to-head with Sherman in the Super Bowl.

“Yeah, any time, man,” Welker answered. “I want anybody one-on-one in the slot. Any time.”

That doesn’t sound like trash talk so much as Welker simply saying he was looking forward to competing with the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, but Sherman took issue with it. During the game, NFL Films microphones picked up Sherman telling Welker he shouldn’t have opened his mouth.

“Don’t you ever say you want one-on-one with us,” Sherman said, via the Denver Post. “Don’t you ever say that!”

Sherman clearly takes his motivation from people talking about him, and he takes issue with any perceived slight. He’ll have plenty of material for the 2014 season, as he’s going to be one of the most talked-about players in the NFL this offseason.

What's Welker supposed to say? "No, I'm afraid to go head-to-head, one-on-one with Sherman"? He's a receiver, for heaven's sake, and should feel confident going one-on-one with any defender. Sherman really has some growing up to do, and I wish he'd do it soon. Either that or he's incredibly insecure and needs some psychotherapy. Unfortunately, there's no cure yet for a**holery.

Welker, by the way, may be on the way out in Denver. He's twice concussed this season, will be 33 next season, and represents an $8M hit to the salary cap in 2014 if he stays.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Welker seems to still be that clutch guy but 8 mil does seem like a bit of a hit considering its obvious the Broncos need some work on the defensive side of the ball.

IMO, the problem with defining yourself with your opponents can be tricky. If these guys are all a bunch of bums and not that good, why is Sherman a great player by shutting them down? If I was as great as Sherman thinks he is, and others say he is, why wouldn't you want players STRIVING to beat you?
South Pender
Legend

Here are a coupla articles about this openly gay player from Missouri, Michael Sam, coming into the upcoming draft:

1. Packers, Eagles, say they have no problem with Michael Sam
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 10, 2014, 2:07 PM EST

The early rush of opinions on out-of-the-closet Missouri defensive end Michael Sam was largely negative, with unnamed scouts downplaying his ability and accentuating the possible negatives.

But now that people with names are beginning to talk, the opinions are getting more positive.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy was asked about the possibility of bringing Sam there, and he had nothing but praise.

“I think you definitely have to feel he’s a courageous young man but my understanding is he’s a talented young player,” McCarthy said, via Wes Hodkiewicz of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “We always from Day 1 talked about our program, about our culture. Ted [General Manager Ted Thompson] is going through draft process right now and at the end of the day, it comes down to good football players.

“Any player who can come here and be a good teammate and follow the rules of our program, which is one be respectful and produce on the football field, we have room for that guy.”

Likewise, the Eagles shot down any notion that adding Sam would be a negative influence.

Asked by Mike Sielski of the Philadelphia Inquirer if Sam’s public homosexuality would change their willingness or unwillingness to draft Sam, an Eagles spokesman replied: “Why would it change anything?”

Those replies are encouraging, but until someone drafts him, it will be impossible to know how far-reaching the prejudice is, or whether anyone is willing to back up their belief in equality with actions.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. Early player reaction to Michael Sam news is mixed
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 10, 2014, 8:16 AM EST

While no one knows at the moment how Michael Sam’s draft stock will be impacted by his decision to announce that he’s gay, it’s clear that finding a good fit once a team picks him will still have challenges.

While there were a number of players supportive of his decision, including Buccaneers tight end Tom Crabtree, there were others who clearly didn’t seem comfortable.

Panthers cornerback Drayton Florence sent out a decidedly mixed message on Twitter in the moments after the announcement.

“No comment but it can be a distraction in the locker room,” Florence wrote. “At least he’s open with it much respect!”

Which sounds like a polite way of saying, “I respect it, as long as he’s somewhere else so it doesn’t distract me.”

Panthers teammate DeAngelo Williams was more pragmatic, saying: “I could care less about a man’s sexual preference! I care about winning games and being respectful in the locker room!”

At the Super Bowl, well before the announcement, Broncos cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was asked whether he thought an openly gay teammate could be successful in the NFL.

“It’s going to be hard,” he said, via Paul Domowitch of the Philadelphia Daily News. I mean, in this league, you gotta shower with guys and be around guys. Some guys are going to be uncomfortable and some guys aren’t. It’s going to be hard for some guys to accept [a gay player].”

Asked if he would he be opposed to an openly gay player on his team, he replied: “That’s on that player. I have nothing against it. If a player is going to come out, he’s going to come out. You can’t look at him as different.”

That’s wishful thinking. Sam has singled himself out, and will be watched closely. And while his Missouri teammates were open and accepting last year, it seems clear that there will be some in his NFL locker room who aren’t sure about him yet.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Ignorance is bliss, I'm betting.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Smit ... _football)

famous player from the Washington team (not going to slip up South P. :wink: ) was gay. If its a big deal, you won't be told. If its not a big deal, you'll probably find out its not that big a deal.

I have been hit on by guys (and girls too). Its just like anything, its not an insult but I'm not interested as I am in a committed relationship with a woman. So, I turn down any approaches from either sex. I don't know why any player would care. There is ALMOST DEFINATELY other gay players in the NFL........
South Pender
Legend

The Michael Sam story was on this evening's PBS Newshour. Whether it should or shouldn't be (and, let's face it, it really shouldn't be), this will be a big story this year. Sam will represent the first NFL player (if he makes an NFL team) to be openly gay while playing. (There are a a small number, I believe, who came out after retiring.)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:The Michael Sam story was on this evening's PBS Newshour. Whether it should or shouldn't be (and, let's face it, it really shouldn't be), this will be a big story this year. Sam will represent the first NFL player (if he makes an NFL team) to be openly gay while playing. (There are a a small number, I believe, who came out after retiring.)
It's only a big deal because he will likely be the first. The NBAer (forget his name) who came out at the end of last season has not yet played since then (unsigned FA IIRC) so technically there's still that barrier. But eventually this will not be a big deal as you suggest. "If you can play, you can play" as Brian Burke has said, will be the metric. 50 years from now or probably even less, people will look at out gay athletes in major pro NA team sports the way we look at black athletes today even though it wasn't always that way, which is to say, with not much thought any longer given (little to none, really) to that aspect of their person.

Here's further food for thought: I think there's possibly a bigger barrier for same-sex couples in the realm of professional spectator sports in North America. Do you think we'll ever regularly see gay couples on the Kiss Cam and have it presented as earnestly and with the same type of crowd response as for straight couples, as opposed to playing it for laughs — think hockey games when they put the camera on two players sitting together on the bench — or perhaps titillation: "Hey, look! Two hot chicks! Woo hoo!" ?

Can we can truly say we're "over" the whole issue until we reach such a point, no matter how many tackles, sacks, knockdowns, INTs, etc Michael Sam records?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=443568

Arland Bruce has done it now and tweets telling the guy to get on his knees and submit to God!!!

ALS' BRUCE DIRECTS OFFENSIVE MESSAGE TO GAY PROSPECT SAM

"YOW!," he wrote. "Mr/MSam you scared to rub on ------- and --- and ------- you gaey. Man up and do some --- push UPS and get on your knees and submit to God fully. Come out of her" Americas Trap. Lil homie don't go thru with it it's a trap bruh."
If a person is comfortable in their own sexuality they should have no issue with the guy. I guess the opponents fear being turned on.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SI.com's Boomer Esiason, former NFL qb, weighs in: "When will [this] stop being a touchy subject?" He says newer coaches — guys who haven't had much time to examine their locker room culture up close and help shape it — might shy away from having Sam on their team but the more credentialed types, the Belichicks and the Carrolls, would be "more than happy" to have any good player in their lineup regardless of orientation. "I take my hat off to [Michael Sam]."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/2 ... video.html
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:The Michael Sam story was on this evening's PBS Newshour. Whether it should or shouldn't be (and, let's face it, it really shouldn't be), this will be a big story this year. Sam will represent the first NFL player (if he makes an NFL team) to be openly gay while playing. (There are a a small number, I believe, who came out after retiring.)
I think the reaction of Arland Bruce shows why this is a big deal. Only when such attitudes disappear will this no longer be the case.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
I think the reaction of Arland Bruce shows why this is a big deal. Only when such attitudes disappear will this no longer be the case.
It has to go to the complete opposite. IOW, gay football players DID AWESOME back in the 1970's but they felt they couldn't talk (who knows, it was a different time). I don't think such attitudes will ever DISAPPEAR, its just that the people objecting will have to swallow their objections instead of the people living with these concerns. Sam has 'come out' but he knew there would be issues. I'd like there to be a time when it didn't matter, PERIOD.
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:SI.com's Boomer Esiason, former NFL qb, weighs in: "When will [this] stop being a touchy subject?" He says newer coaches — guys who haven't had much time to examine their locker room culture up close and help shape it — might shy away from having Sam on their team but the more credentialed types, the Belichicks and the Carrolls, would be "more than happy" to have any good player in their lineup regardless of orientation. "I take my hat off to [Michael Sam]."

I'm not sure about Esiason's contention that the newer coaches may be the ones to reject Sam. Newer coaches are usually younger, and younger people generally are much more accepting of LBGT people than are older ones (like his credentialed ones). Pete Carroll would likely be the exception to that, I think, in the sense that he's old (for a coach--at 62), but seems like a very accepting person.

We're going to see a tremendous amount of bumf now from the media, in all forms. First, it's a titillating news story. And second, these media types will use this to burnish their creds as open-minded, objective people by referring to what Sam has done (declared his sexual orientation) as "courageous" and other similar terms--like Esiason saying "I take my hat off to Michael Sam." There may some sincerity there, but not necessarily. I think that, if one examines the facts, s/he will see that, since his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known all about this (he'd been open with them) since August, his being gay would have almost-certainly surfaced anyway. So getting out in front of the story (the "choreographed multi-platform rollout of his story," as Pro Football Talk put it) may be more calculated than courageous (or am I being too cynical?). I'm not saying that Sam isn't courageous or a great football player (he may well be both), and I hope he is able to land in the NFL and succeed there because, if he does, a real barrier will have been broken. I'm just cautioning against buying the unending crap that will be flowing in huge quantities from the many media sources between now and the draft and, possibly, training camp in late July.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
sj-roc wrote:SI.com's Boomer Esiason, former NFL qb, weighs in: "When will [this] stop being a touchy subject?" He says newer coaches — guys who haven't had much time to examine their locker room culture up close and help shape it — might shy away from having Sam on their team but the more credentialed types, the Belichicks and the Carrolls, would be "more than happy" to have any good player in their lineup regardless of orientation. "I take my hat off to [Michael Sam]."

I'm not sure about Esiason's contention that the newer coaches may be the ones to reject Sam. Newer coaches are usually younger, and younger people generally are much more accepting of LBGT people than are older ones (like his credentialed ones). Pete Carroll would likely be the exception to that, I think, in the sense that he's old (for a coach--at 62), but seems like a very accepting person.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Younger coaches might be more socially accepting of Sam as you state, but I think BE is considering strictly the career-influencing aspects of the situation on that point. A head coach or GM early in his career might feel he hasn't enough job security/history of success to handle all of the extra attention that could come with it, even if he is quite sincerely supporting of Sam himself. So there could be a dilemma of sorts. For the guys with deeper resumes, longer leashes, a history of picking winners, this is less likely to be the case regardless of their own personal views. No question there will be a lot of attention paid to how all of this unfolds.
We're going to see a tremendous amount of bumf now from the media, in all forms. First, it's a titillating news story. And second, these media types will use this to burnish their creds as open-minded, objective people by referring to what Sam has done (declared his sexual orientation) as "courageous" and other similar terms--like Esiason saying "I take my hat off to Michael Sam." There may some sincerity there, but not necessarily. I think that, if one examines the facts, s/he will see that, since his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known all about this (he'd been open with them) since August, his being gay would have almost-certainly surfaced anyway. So getting out in front of the story may be more calculated than courageous. I'm not saying that Sam isn't courageous or a great football player (he may well be both), and I hope he is able to land in the NFL and succeed there because, if he does, a real barrier will have been broken. I'm just cautioning against buying the unending crap that will be flowing in huge quantities from the many media sources between now and the draft and, possibly, training camp in late July.
I think this is a good point about observers in the media. Sometimes you see all sorts of unsolicited comments in social media — and I don't mean just with specific reference to Sam but in general, on all sorts of social issues — and it kind of makes you wonder to yourself, "Is this person's comments really about being all in with their views here, or is it more about, 'Hey, look at me and how I'm being so not troglodytic with my socially advanced views!' ?"
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I saw WWE star Daniel Bryan appeared today on NFL's Total Access. I don't follow prowrestling but I know enough people that do that I had heard of Bryan before. Had no idea he was born in Washington State. Long time Seahawks fan. Really weird to see a name wearing a Seahawk jersey. No offence to Seahawk fans ( I claim to be one of them) it just seems they don't have a fan base the way other teams do.

I know that comment sounds stupid based on the 12thman and the parade etc... but I'm talking long term here. There was a time in the not so distant past there was talk of moving the Seahawks due to fan interest etc... Thankfully that has gone, probably forever :cr: . The other part of it is not that they NEVER had a fan base, just that it wasn't covered so much. You certainly don't see too many stories about the dedicated Steeler fans. They are still out there but their team has not had a great couple of years. The story isn't so sweet when the fans don't get to celebrate Superbowl wins.....

It is going to be nice for me, as a Seahawks fan, because its obvious that NFL networks Seahawk coverage is going to explode. The main story last year was the one day they dedicated to the Seahawks. There is a point in the NFL networks coverage where they give each team a day and go through all 32 teams. That was the day I got to see a lot of stories and projections about the Seahawks. Most other coverage is limited at best. Teams like the Giants/Cowboys are always going to get top notch coverage. This season is one I'm sure I'll be thinking the Seahawks are getting their share of news coverage. I hope to see other celebrities and athletes sporting their Seahawk jersies on NFL network soon......
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:I saw WWE star Daniel Bryan appeared today on NFL's Total Access. I don't follow prowrestling but I know enough people that do that I had heard of Bryan before. Had no idea he was born in Washington State. Long time Seahawks fan. Really weird to see a name wearing a Seahawk jersey. No offence to Seahawk fans ( I claim to be one of them) it just seems they don't have a fan base the way other teams do.

I know that comment sounds stupid based on the 12thman and the parade etc... but I'm talking long term here. There was a time in the not so distant past there was talk of moving the Seahawks due to fan interest etc... Thankfully that has gone, probably forever :cr: . The other part of it is not that they NEVER had a fan base, just that it wasn't covered so much. You certainly don't see too many stories about the dedicated Steeler fans. They are still out there but their team has not had a great couple of years. The story isn't so sweet when the fans don't get to celebrate Superbowl wins.....

It is going to be nice for me, as a Seahawks fan, because its obvious that NFL networks Seahawk coverage is going to explode. The main story last year was the one day they dedicated to the Seahawks. There is a point in the NFL networks coverage where they give each team a day and go through all 32 teams. That was the day I got to see a lot of stories and projections about the Seahawks. Most other coverage is limited at best. Teams like the Giants/Cowboys are always going to get top notch coverage. This season is one I'm sure I'll be thinking the Seahawks are getting their share of news coverage. I hope to see other celebrities and athletes sporting their Seahawk jersies on NFL network soon......
And I hope you are wearing yours to work these days.... :wink:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little Pro Football Talk for hump day: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/

Nothing that I could find that was really exciting. Richie Incognito is mouthing off again, but what else is new? NFL free agency in about a month.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK. Here's another football-related Rob Ford story for all those interested:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -rob-ford/
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:And I hope you are wearing yours to work these days.... :wink:
I don't own a Seahawks jersey (I have two Lions jersies and didn't own any before Sept 2013). Like some others here on Lionbackers, jersies seem to be a kiss of bad luck. I was thrilled to get my gunmetalgrey Banks jersey but alas....he's a Bomber now

Even if I did own a Seahawks jersey I doubt I'd wear it to work. One of those work situations where we probably could, but choose not too.

I'm really looking forward to the bullying report. Martin and Incognito will be forever linked regardless but I wonder how much it will change things. It was like the Bountygate thing. I laughed at the time because it didn't sound TOO OUT THERE as the kind of thing that may happen but considering the NFL's problems with retired injured players etc... an EXAMPLE needed to be set. It was set! I'm not advocating or feeling sorry for Sean Payton or the Saints organization. I am curious as to where this report goes. I haven't got a clue. Some ways say the DOlphins/Incognito will be made an example of ala Bountygate but then again who knows.

The rumour I think could get Incognito/others in trouble is forcing Martin to pay for a trip to LasVegas that he didn't even attend. If that is true, and it wasn't claimed as income/gift/benefit then I have no doubt that is a taxable offence under the IRS. Better have reported it.

Its weird because ala the homosexuality issues, concussion issues, locker-room culture issues...these things have been a certain way for a long time. There have been changes over the decades but still its meant to be a closed part of football players/coaches part of the game. It must feel intrusive but at the same time there are standards that all people are entitled to work under and if locker-room culture violates those standards...IT WILL BE CHANGED.

Guess we'll see and the bullying report will not be the end. There are too many changes (TWITTER?) that are calling for some changes and re-examination of things like a player code of conduct. Its just common sense, IMO, to most players to not say certain things on twitter but apparently some players need a little help/direction in this area. Certainly not just an NFL thing. CFL, NHL, and all other leagues have had their :bang: moments....