CFL Coaches -- Buh Buh ... Benny and the Cats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“I’m in shock right now,” said Worman, who joined the staff of head coach Tom Higgins only last March.
It’s expected Ryan Dinwiddie, a former Canadian Football League quarterback, will replace Worman, although no announcement was made by the team. Dinwiddie this season was promoted to quarterback coach by the Als after serving as the team’s offensive quality control coach in 2013.
According to a source, Worman, 50, learned of his dismissal late in the afternoon, following meetings and as he was preparing to go to dinner. The news was delivered to him by Popp, although Higgins was present at the time.
Hawkins was fired only five games into his first season with the team at 2-3. He was replaced by Popp. Montreal finished third in the East Division, at 8-10, losing the division semifinal in overtime on the road against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
After Hawkins was fired, the Als announced Mike Miller, the assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, had been demoted and would coach the QBs exclusively. At the same time, Popp announced Doug Berry, the senior advisor to the head coach, would take over play-calling duties — although he never officially was named the coordinator.

Neither Miller nor Berry remain with the organization.
If the Als appeared dysfunctional last season, firing Worman this early into camp will only reinforce that perception.
Dysfunctional? One could get that impression.
Worman was signed to a one-year contract. He probably was earning between $100,000 and $120,000. Worman came to the Als following one season as QB coach at Mississippi Valley State. Montreal’s responsible for the remainder of his contract. The Als also are paying Hawkins for the next two seasons.
Worman didn’t even get to coach in an exhibition game, so it’s obvious problems must have existed — either with his system or his relationship with the players or coaches.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

That is a strange firing. However, I am almost certain that the Als at least have a semblance of what an OC requires and should come out alright in the long run. If this had been the Bombers, I would be more concerned on what was the underlying circumstances. Just another story to follow in the soap opera that is the CFL.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shocking move given the timing.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While Rick Worman says he is shocked from the noise from the Als, the players don't seem to be. Strange. Maybe this guy has changed - for the worse and maybe Higgins rushed to fill the spot and cut his due diligence a bit too short.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Zurkowsky: ‘The decision was strictly mine,’ Als coach Higgins says

By Herb Zurkowsky, THE GAZETTE June 10, 2014

Zurkowsky: ‘The decision was strictly mine,’ Als coach Higgins says

By Herb Zurkowsky, THE GAZETTE June 10, 2014

Some comments:
There were comments made by Worman. His attitude upset some players. And he refused to budge on certain issues. Things had to be done his way. There would be no debate.

“There were definitely some issues that were beginning to arise. Some disagreements. Guys were questioning things,” said a player who shall remain anonymous for obvious reasons. “He’s kind of stubborn in his ways. It made it hard for people to operate and conduct meetings.”

“Some people didn’t understand his personality. He clashed with people sometimes,” said another player. “He didn’t click with too many people — and there’s some people you have to click with.”
Troy Smith, expected to be the Als’ starting quarterback, said he encountered no problems with Worman. Indeed, Worman called Smith, who was returning from a medical appointment Monday in Montreal, to personally deliver the news.

“At times, I know I’m not the easiest guy to get along with. Who am I to judge?” Smith said. “I got along with him well. If the rumours are true, I guess a brash guy can get along with a brash guy.

“He definitely implemented some things vertically we hadn’t done before. But I had no problem with him.”

Tanner Marsh, another Als’ QB, said he learned from Worman.
Reached Tuesday night at his Montreal hotel, Worman offered no apologies, saying he departs without sour grapes.

“I know what I did and how professional I was,” he said. “I know I handled myself in a professional manner, that I’m a detailed teacher.”
Now what is the Als football writer on about here with the short leash comment!! Higgins hasn't coached a game yet. This is an astute Als observer so is this leash stuff speculation or something else?
Abnormal? Yes. Unusual? Not necessarily. But if Higgins was on a short leash before, given the circumstances, that rope has become significantly tighter the last 24 hours.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From TSN ...
Michael Farber, Sports Illustrated - My thumb is down to the Alouettes for the firing of offensive coordinator Rick Worman. Three months after coach Tom Higgins hired Worman, he canned him - before Montreal had played an exhibition game. Higgins was right to act sooner rather than later, unlike 2013 when the era of occupationally-challenged head coach Dan Hawkins lasted five games. But the abrupt dismissal speaks to the dysfunction of the franchise, whose owner, Robert Wetenhall, hired Higgins without involving GM Jim Popp. The Alouettes used to stand for quality on the field and steadfastness off it. If the Worman saga is an indication, soon the only thing the Alouettes will stand for is O Canada.
After years of stability it does seem that the Alouettes are showing some signs of dysfunction.

Hiring Higgins without input from Popp? Bizarre.

Not sure the situation is as bad as Farber contends, however.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

JohnHenry
Champion

You only have to look at the wardrobe Popp chose for the official Chad Johnson signing, which was reprinted in thousand's of newspapers and websites across North America, to realize there is a problem. You'd think he could at least wear an Alouette's T-shirt, the company he works for?

There's evidently some friction between the owner and GM. Apparently Popp wanted to name himself as head coach, while the owner wanted Popp to concentrate on his GM duties and hire a permanent coach. That's why Wettenhal hired his own coach without input from the GM. That basically makes Popp, who has a long-standing desire to leave for the NFL, a lame-duck GM. The problem for the owner is Popp has a long-term guaranteed contract which is rumoured to pay him over $500,000 per.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:You only have to look at the wardrobe Popp chose for the official Chad Johnson signing, which was reprinted in thousand's of newspapers and websites across North America, to realize there is a problem. You'd think he could at least wear an Alouette's T-shirt, the company he works for?

There's evidently some friction between the owner and GM. Apparently Popp wanted to name himself as head coach, while the owner wanted Popp to concentrate on his GM duties and hire a permanent coach. That's why Wettenhal hired his own coach without input from the GM. That basically makes Popp, who has a long-standing desire to leave for the NFL, a lame-duck GM. The problem for the owner is Popp has a long-term guaranteed contract which is rumoured to pay him over $500,000 per.

It sure seems dysfunctional and the owners seem to tolerate the US resident Jim Popp, his statements before about wanting to go to the NFL, etc. Seating at the media shows including AC's retirement makes you wonder. But the Wetenhalls seem to say what they mean and so far it's not been just media spin. How long it can last is anyone's guess. But the owners always point to Popp's long term record and how they want him to keep getting the right players versus being a mediocre coach.

The spin out of MTL might only be partially right on Worman as some players (incl. top QB) had no issues. But Higgins and others saw Worman so out of what they want he gassed him now.

I keep wondering what is up with AC after this summer. He sure seems to be okay not to jump in now but I can't see him leaving MTL ever so he has to be in the mix here somewhere as a coach.

I think Popp has always dressed as he does -if not - maybe he wants to be fired haha.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

CFL Official Feed ‏@CFL 2m

THIS JUST IN: The @MTLAlouettes have released RB Jerome Messam. #CFLTC14
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Probably Hamilton bound......they're short FBs with Delahunt to Ottawa and Diedrich retiring.
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/97721/autostart/true

Tom Higgins mic'd up.

Welcome back.

Cheerleading of course on the sideline. Ned Flanders. But as Hugh Campbell said, he will grow on you. Suits me.

Good focus on details and assignments. He is a real football guy. Played the game. Has coached the game.

Pep talk. Short and sweet. Guys can only hold 2 or 3 ideas from a pep talk. Higgins gives them that. Kind of like the anti-Kavis Reed rant.

Play with enthusiasm. Play tough. Play smart. Have fun.

Pretty much as my sometimes signature indicates Walter Payton speaking to kids pregame.

"Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun."

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

You can tell it's pre-season. Coach asks about the play call if they get in 2 and 1(?) or something like that. Higgins has to ask who was in what role and coach fumbling to get the name right. That is expected.

Honestly, I am thinking that MTL and Jim Popp just MIGHT have got carried away with their enthusiasm for their QB crop based on pre-season. I may be wrong but if their QBs play like pre-season it's going to be MTL last in the East and OTT stomping them.

Again the name Kevin Glenn and why the Als and the Lions weren't forced to compete with offers to Ottawa for his services surprises me.

The anti - Kavis Reed --- haha -- great descriptor. What was interesting about Reed was his long pre-game talks trying to inspire athletes who as WCJ notes can only hold "2or 3 ideas" from a pep talk which should be establishing only what Higgins says. Football players need to be reminded to play smart. No penalties and pros too - to enjoy their game.

What Reed apparently was as a HC was a major instigator of his own sideline problems with players and IIRC coaches (not sure I got coaches right). A good HC wants to minimize any unneeded sideline distractions and heated words either between players or between a coach and players.

I had an absolute rule on that and players knew that. If you start jawing and getting into it with the ref or opponent or take dumb penalties that to me was the signal you're done for today and in mens' soccer I'd sub the guy off. BUT they knew I was not open to discussing then or at the half or even post game. We'd meet pre-training on that topic. It worked great as other players don't like that either. I also told players that they'd not lose their starting role if that happened - just that today they're done. I'd not berate them coming off either so what I set for them was the same for me. I'd treat it as I would a player who got hurt or say felt sick. No problem. We got good subs.

The coach who was a lousy orator as a HC but who set the tone in what he'd accept was Wally Buono. Hufnagel I think is like that. Trestman same. Where I fault Wally was not saying to the Mitchell's and Messam's - here is how it will be. Wally takes the line 'they are men' and gives them the rope. I want to do that with mature men but say to the loose cannon - here are our clear expectations. Screw up and there will be consequences.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: The coach who was a lousy orator as a HC but who set the tone in what he'd accept was Wally Buono. Hufnagel I think is like that. Trestman same. Where I fault Wally was not saying to the Mitchell's and Messam's - here is how it will be. Wally takes the line 'they are men' and gives them the rope. I want to do that with mature men but say to the loose cannon - here are our clear expectations. Screw up and there will be consequences.
Yes. I recruited a powerhouse football player for a basketball team. Other coaches said he would foul out in the 1st quarter. Yes. I knew that. But before each game I told him I wanted him to play the entire game (The subtext was he had to learn not to foul. We had not much of a bench). On defence do not reach in or around. Do not jump to contest a shot. Just take up space with arms extended as high as you can, facing your man. Do not try to block shots. Make them shoot over you. Get every rebound. LOL He would kind of grunt, and nod. Unnhh Already with game face on. LOL He did foul out in the first exhibition game, in the 1st quarter. And he lasted about one quarter longer in each succeeding game. By year end he was a raging, storming, strong, mobile, tireless defensive force for the entire game, taking almost no fouls. The heart and guts of the team. Plus he scored on offensive rebounds. And he remained a very loyal friend long after that successful season. One of the rewards of coaching.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/es ... s-revival/
Jones, the highly touted former Toronto Argonauts defensive co-ordinator, gets his first shot at proving he can run the whole show as a head coach in the CFL.

His resume speaks to success: 12 years coaching in the CFL, never missed the playoffs, won three Grey Cups.

He will also run his trademark defence for Edmonton, featuring defenders who play with risk and aggression, tripping up offences with multiple sets, blitzes and stances.

Jones said the defence isn’t about dictating the play as much as taking an offence out of its comfort zone, refusing to let a quarterback do what he wants to do.

“We try to do our best to make (the offence) play left-handed,” said Jones.

Jones will do it with a retooled roster. Veterans Donovan Alexander and Chris Thompson were dispatched in the off-season as Jones rebuilt the secondary around bigger, stronger players.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

His resume speaks to success: 12 years coaching in the CFL, never missed the playoffs, won three Grey Cups.
Good resume.
He will also run his trademark defence for Edmonton, featuring defenders who play with risk and aggression, tripping up offences with multiple sets, blitzes and stances.
Luv the attacking defence.
Jones said the defence isn’t about dictating the play as much as taking an offence out of its comfort zone, refusing to let a quarterback do what he wants to do.

Make it difficult for the QB.
“We try to do our best to make (the offence) play left-handed,” said Jones.