Rogers NHL contract & the CFL on TSN....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:
cromartie wrote:...
From what I've read on the deal, HNIC will continue to air on CBC, but Rogers recognizes any revenue beyond the flat fee CBC is paying for rights to air certain games. While I'm sure there will be some revenue split, it absolutely will not be in the CBC's favor (though their overhead decreases dramatically as Rogers is paying for it) and that's a real problem, since, to date, a full 25-30% of CBC's revenue comes from HNIC advertising. That's going to be a real drain on the mother network's coffers...
You gotta double check those numbers, HNIC makes up 50% of CBC revenues as per their president in an announcement last month (linked on reddit, can't go searching for it right now). Also, HNIC is not paying anythign to sir the games, but they also get ZERO revenues from the games.
I figured it was bad. I didn't think it would end up being this bad. Thanks for the correction. Yikes.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:This is basically a 4 year stay of execution for CBC Sports. Not to mention how many other parts of programming that HNIC used to subsidize. In addition to Zero revenues, they no longer have any control of HNIC personalities or the show itself. All they are providing is a network to show games on and Rogers doesn't really need that do they. Just like the HNIC theme music, this is another Canadian CBC Tradition that is now on it's death march. A standard to be bought and sold to the highest bidders. In this case Rogers. I understand the workings of a free market economy but some things should be above that. Like em or hate em, CBC was doing hockey before Rogers Corp was even a concept. Entire generations have lived and died with CBC providing hockey coverage across the nation. Rogers writes Bettman and Co. in New York a massive cheque and phhht, 60 plus years of tradition gone out the window. HNIC was one of the few money making propositions for the CBC and it's departure will have trickle down effects across the entire network. This is not a good day for the CBC. I know that many decry the cost of the CBC but there are many different programs that would never see the light of day on a purely commercial network; quality programming that's main liability is that it isn't ever going to be profitable but has merit nevertheless.

IMO, this business transaction has many far reaching consequences that go beyond just hockey.
And isn't this the same outfit that wants NFL in Canada?

I do like the CBC still in the hockey providing but they have transitioned out of football successfully.
They did and they didn't. They for a time seemed to be going out of the Sports business. They gutted CBC sports, put someone in charge that had no business being in charge of a sports dept. and for a time things were bad. The CFL was part of that time. As long as they had HNIC, they still had a chance. In recent times it looked like they were getting back into the game somewhat with talented sports minded folks like Scott Moore but once again they started to slide. They lost MLS, Scott Moore bolted to (you guessed it) Rogers and now CBC sports looks to be nothing more than than a group picking up whatever scraps may be left to them (World Water Polo Championships anyone? Actually naw, we suck at Water Polo as a country.) This is a massive blow to advertising revenue and viewership and I fully expect that when 4 years has come and gone, that HNIC will be gone from the CBC too. As someone mentioned, maybe this will empty Roger's coffers for the NFL vision quest they are on but I wouldn't count on it. In the meantime, the CBC will be forced to try and carry on with whatever funding they receive from the Federal Gov. and whatever advertising revenue that will be left to them. The cost issue is only going to get worse without the HNIC offset and I wouldn't be surprised to see calls for the CBC's dissolution renewed even more strongly on the basis of the argument that it is too expensive to maintain.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote: As someone mentioned, maybe this will empty Roger's coffers for the NFL vision quest they are on but I wouldn't count on it. In the meantime, the CBC will be forced to try and carry on with whatever funding they receive from the Federal Gov. and whatever advertising revenue that will be left to them. The cost issue is only going to get worse without the HNIC offset and I wouldn't be surprised to see calls for the CBC's dissolution renewed even more strongly on the basis of the argument that it is too expensive to maintain.
I don't know how much Rogers can been involved in NFL ownership. I believe per NFL ownership rules publicly traded corporations cannot be majority owners in any NFL franchise. The NFL wants to deal with 32 owners, not boards of directors. The only exception is the community owned Green Bay Packers who are grandfathered into the club as they have been part of the league since the 1930s. In 1960 the NFL changed their constitution to forbid that ownership model in the future. A few years ago I think Minnesota thought they could sell shares to effectively make community ownership a minority owner as a means of helping facilitate a desperately needed replacement for the Metrodome. That was shot down. No matter what a private individual with extremely deep pockets would have to ante up to be majority owner of any Toronto NFL franchise efforts. And of course there's that little issue about needing an NFL calibre stadium.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You could be correct. The HNIC acquisition may well signal a fundamental shift away from NFL involvement but this Bill's experiment must have had some tire kicking purpose. An attemtp to see if it could be viable here in some form. Fortunately, the results have been fair to poor as I see them and have not generated a lot of interest. But if they can afford to spend 5 billion on HNIC, then I could see them having 1 billion for the construction of a new stadium built to NFL standards. And although, as a Corporation, they may not be able to purchase, I wouldn't put it past them to form some kind of ownership group with one of the Rogers family at its head and a backing and media resources of Rogers behind them. One thing is clear, Rogers is clearly angling to be the preeminent content provider in Canada and with the HNIC deal done, they probably are. Content delivery through their phone networks is going to be a big piece of this. Hockey anywhere anytime is going to be a large selling point and there are those who will pay for it because Sports in general is one of the last vestiges in media where live content is preferred.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:If this new deal means the end of Don Cherry and Bob Cole, then I'm totally in favour of it.
Sekeres on 1040 just addressed this point with a caller. Rogers apparently doesn't want to perceived at getting rid of Cherry and with CBC carrying HNIC for at least four more years they're figuring on DC running his course by then (he turns 80 in Feb) as opposed to pushing him out.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:If this new deal means the end of Don Cherry and Bob Cole, then I'm totally in favour of it.
Sekeres on 1040 just addressed this point with a caller. Rogers apparently doesn't want to perceived at getting rid of Cherry and with CBC carrying HNIC for at least four more years they're figuring on DC running his course by then (he turns 80 in Feb) as opposed to pushing him out.
And really decisions like that won't be made overnight. This almost becomes like a corporate takeover. It will take several months for Rogers to figure out the shape of things for all of the networks that will be involved in the presentation of their NHL product. And turning 80 Cherry also will probably be doing some thinking about whether he himself wants to continue or if it's time to step aside.
Ravi
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:It's inevitable some of TSN's hockey talent will bolt to Rogers. Just hoping like hell Chris Cuthbert isn't one of them.
I would be surprised as Cuthbert is a huge CFL fan and takes enormous pride in working CFL games, including the Grey Cup. I think that he will stay put.
Ravi
Legend

snackdaddy wrote:Hopefully this means Rogers is to broke to find 2 billion in the couch cushions to bring the bills to town.

I would be surprised if the NFL does not want a team in LA first.
Toronto does nothing for the NFL. I really don't think that the NFL is too keen on being in Toronto as it adds no value to their TV rights and the Bills in Toronto series has been an outright embarrassment for the league.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Centrum22
Starter

Does anyone have a well-informed idea how much extra revenue TSN might generate per season if a tenth franchise was added to Atlantic Canada, creating a 10-team league that stretched across the country from coast to coast, attracting potentially hundreds of thousands of new viewers from an untapped region, and increasing the number of weekly broadcasts from four to five?

I ask because I wonder (in light of Roger's NHL deal, which shuts TSN out for 12 years) whether it would make sense for Bell Media to spearhead the swift creation of a tenth team and new stadium in Halifax in order to maximize the value of their most valuable property.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Centrum22 wrote:Does anyone have a well-informed idea how much extra revenue TSN might generate per season if a tenth franchise was added to Atlantic Canada, creating a 10-team league that stretched across the country from coast to coast, attracting potentially hundreds of thousands of new viewers from an untapped region, and increasing the number of weekly broadcasts from four to five?

I ask because I wonder (in light of Roger's NHL deal, which shuts TSN out for 12 years) whether it would make sense for Bell Media to spearhead the swift creation of a tenth team and new stadium in Halifax in order to maximize the value of their most valuable property.
Kind of difficult to gauge without knowing what current viewership numbers are like. For all we know numbers might already be strong or at least strong enough to diminish the upside. Until somebody bonies up to buy the team or a city steps to the forefront to gets some shoves in the ground there will be no team. I can't see how Bell can be much influence there unless they want to be those elusive owners or part owners. Can't see it making economic sense to be part owners just to add an extra game to their weekly schedule. The payback wouldn't be there.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Well it looks like TSN isn't getting too down over losing NHL rights since just this morning they announced plans to expand to, count 'em FIVE national feeds, TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5 starting this fall.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/story/?id=451378
TSN expanding to a total of five national feeds
TSN Staff
5/6/2014 9:34:31 AM

TSN, Canada's Sports Leader and the No. 1 specialty network in the country, is introducing a platform for growth that will see it expand from two to five national feeds. Optimized to give Canadians more sports and more choice than ever before, TSN's suite of channels will deliver a slate of expanded programming, including the ability to schedule SportsCentre, Canada's No. 1 sports news show, to serve multiple time zones.

Already home to Canada's most diverse lineup of sports programming and biggest championships – among them the World Juniors, Grey Cup, FIFA World Cup 2015-2022, Grand Slam tennis, all of golf's majors and much more – TSN is expanding to further solidify its position as Canada's Sports Leader by maximizing its deep lineup of world-class content delivered across multiple feeds.

To be branded TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4, and TSN5, all five TSN feeds will be available this fall. All TSN feeds will also be available to subscribers both online and through mobile devices via TSN GO. Further details, including information about participating TV service providers and channel placements, will be announced in the lead up to the launch.

"With five national channels as our new canvas, we now have the flexibility to fully leverage our immense portfolio of premium sports programming – we've had the content, but not the capacity, and now we do," said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. "With this expansion, we are increasing our lineup of live events and in-house productions, while acquiring even more new content. This evolution of TSN is a win-win for both our viewers and our key partners."

More Sports and More Choice

Key programming highlights that viewers can expect to see across TSN's suite of five channels include the following:

- More live game coverage – spanning leagues including NBA, MLS, NCAA and more

- More choice of games and events taking place at the same time – including multiple curling sheets from Season of Champions events [LOVE THIS —sj-r], multiple matches from Barclays Premier League, every game from NCAA March Madness, multiple court feeds from Gland Slam tennis events, and more

- Expanded coverage of marquee live events – including the World Juniors, Grey Cup, and FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015

- Effective scheduling of TSN news and studio shows – including broadcasting SportsCentre, Canada's most-watched sports news show, to serve multiple time zones

- NHL hockey – including 26 Toronto Maple Leafs games, 52 Ottawa Senators games, as well as pre-season games (available on a regional basis), plus local hockey programming generated by production expansion at TSN Radio stations in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg and Edmonton

- ESPN programming – featuring more of ESPN's vast package of college sports, plus ESPN news and studio shows

- New acquisitions and partnerships – more marquee sports properties to be added to TSN's industry-leading lineup

TSN's new suite of five channels complements Canada's most influential sports brand, joining:

- Five TSN Radio stations across the country – TSN 1050 Toronto, TSN 690 Montreal, TSN 1290 Winnipeg, TSN 1200 Ottawa, TSN 1260 Edmonton – along with TEAM 1040 Vancouver

- TSN Digital's industry-leading suite of assets – TSN.ca, TSN GO, TSN BarDown at BarDown.com, the TSN Hockey App, TSN GameTracker, its official social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Google+, and more

TSN is Canada's Sports Leader and No. 1 specialty network. With a broad portfolio of multimedia sports assets, TSN currently delivers world-class content across industry-leading platforms including TSN2, TSN.ca, TSN GO, and TSN Radio. Official broadcaster of the Grey Cup, IIHF World Junior Championship and FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015, TSN's slate of live sports coverage includes NHL, CFL, NFL, NBA, MLS, Season of Champions Curling, UEFA Euro 2016, MLB, Barclays Premier League, Golf's Majors, NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Canadian Tire Series, F1, Grand Slam Tennis, NCAA March Madness, and Skate Canada events. TSN is a division of Bell Media, which is part of BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada's largest communications company.
Great to see expanded curling coverage with concurrent matchups in a single draw each getting its own broadcast.

Surprised to see no mention of any CIS coverage here, though, with five networks' worth of programming to fill out.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great to see all TSN feeds will be available online. Canada is long overdue for more Canadian and NCAA sports coverage and more ESPN programming. Anything but hockey is fine with me. We get enough of that already.
JohnHenry
Champion

sj-roc wrote:Well it looks like TSN isn't getting too down over losing NHL rights since just this morning they announced plans to expand to, count 'em FIVE national feeds, TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5 starting this fall.

TSN expanding to a total of five national feeds
TSN Staff
5/6/2014 9:34:31 AM

TSN, Canada's Sports Leader and the No. 1 specialty network in the country, is introducing a platform for growth that will see it expand from two to five national feeds. Optimized to give Canadians more sports and more choice than ever before, TSN's suite of channels will deliver a slate of expanded programming, including the ability to schedule SportsCentre, Canada's No. 1 sports news show, to serve multiple time zones.

Already home to Canada's most diverse lineup of sports programming and biggest championships – among them the World Juniors, Grey Cup, FIFA World Cup 2015-2022, Grand Slam tennis, all of golf's majors and much more – TSN is expanding to further solidify its position as Canada's Sports Leader by maximizing its deep lineup of world-class content delivered across multiple feeds.

To be branded TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4, and TSN5, all five TSN feeds will be available this fall. All TSN feeds will also be available to subscribers both online and through mobile devices via TSN GO. Further details, including information about participating TV service providers and channel placements, will be announced in the lead up to the launch.

"With five national channels as our new canvas, we now have the flexibility to fully leverage our immense portfolio of premium sports programming – we've had the content, but not the capacity, and now we do," said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. "With this expansion, we are increasing our lineup of live events and in-house productions, while acquiring even more new content. This evolution of TSN is a win-win for both our viewers and our key partners."

More Sports and More Choice

Key programming highlights that viewers can expect to see across TSN's suite of five channels include the following:

- More live game coverage – spanning leagues including NBA, MLS, NCAA and more

- More choice of games and events taking place at the same time – including multiple curling sheets from Season of Champions events [LOVE THIS —sj-r], multiple matches from Barclays Premier League, every game from NCAA March Madness, multiple court feeds from Gland Slam tennis events, and more

- Expanded coverage of marquee live events – including the World Juniors, Grey Cup, and FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015

- Effective scheduling of TSN news and studio shows – including broadcasting SportsCentre, Canada's most-watched sports news show, to serve multiple time zones

- NHL hockey – including 26 Toronto Maple Leafs games, 52 Ottawa Senators games, as well as pre-season games (available on a regional basis), plus local hockey programming generated by production expansion at TSN Radio stations in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg and Edmonton

- ESPN programming – featuring more of ESPN's vast package of college sports, plus ESPN news and studio shows

- New acquisitions and partnerships – more marquee sports properties to be added to TSN's industry-leading lineup

TSN's new suite of five channels complements Canada's most influential sports brand, joining:

- Five TSN Radio stations across the country – TSN 1050 Toronto, TSN 690 Montreal, TSN 1290 Winnipeg, TSN 1200 Ottawa, TSN 1260 Edmonton – along with TEAM 1040 Vancouver

- TSN Digital's industry-leading suite of assets – TSN.ca, TSN GO, TSN BarDown at BarDown.com, the TSN Hockey App, TSN GameTracker, its official social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Google+, and more

TSN is Canada's Sports Leader and No. 1 specialty network. With a broad portfolio of multimedia sports assets, TSN currently delivers world-class content across industry-leading platforms including TSN2, TSN.ca, TSN GO, and TSN Radio. Official broadcaster of the Grey Cup, IIHF World Junior Championship and FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015, TSN's slate of live sports coverage includes NHL, CFL, NFL, NBA, MLS, Season of Champions Curling, UEFA Euro 2016, MLB, Barclays Premier League, Golf's Majors, NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Canadian Tire Series, F1, Grand Slam Tennis, NCAA March Madness, and Skate Canada events. TSN is a division of Bell Media, which is part of BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada's largest communications company.
Great to see expanded curling coverage with concurrent matchups in a single draw each getting its own broadcast.

Surprised to see no mention of any CIS coverage here, though, with five networks' worth of programming to fill out.
The CIS made the mistake of signing on with Rogers exclusively, for a ridiculously small amount, around $100,000. The Vanier Cup last year, broadcast on one of the Sportsnet channels saw their ratings drop 60% from the previous year on TSN.

I have no idea what TSN could possibly televise to fill 5 sports channels? More lacrosse, midget hockey and Aussie Poker Stars, I guess. :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Well it looks like TSN isn't getting too down over losing NHL rights since just this morning they announced plans to expand to, count 'em FIVE national feeds, TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5 starting this fall.

The CIS made the mistake of signing on with Rogers exclusively, for a ridiculously small amount, around $100,000. The Vanier Cup last year, broadcast on one of the Sportsnet channels saw their ratings drop 60% from the previous year on TSN.

I have no idea what TSN could possibly televise to fill 5 sports channels? More lacrosse, midget hockey and Aussie Poker Stars, I guess. :wink:
Surely they'll now have to start airing weekly 1/2 hr to hr weekly in-depth shows on all the latest happenings with each and every CFL team, something along the lines of, or perhaps more hardcore than Global's Off the Gridiron program that debuted last season?

I think we'll end up getting a lot of "canned" programming one way or the other.