Review of 2013, Coaching and Personnel, Changes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

Excerpts from the article by Mike Beamish ...
Lions' 2013 ‘inconsistency’ disappoints, doesn’t devastate, GM Wally Buono

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun November 14, 2013 6:01 PM
“My role is totally different,” Buono said. “When you’re the general manager it pains me to lose. But, when you’re the head coach, and the general manager, it pains me double. The guy right now who’s bearing the brunt of the pain of losing is the head coach (Mike Benevides). Emotionally, I’m disappointed. But the emotional highs and lows of the GM are not the same. Does it bother me today? Have I had a couple of sleepless nights? Yes. But I have other projects I need to get on to. I have to put it behind me. When you’re the coach, I think it’s harder to put it behind you.”
“The inconsistency came down to two things: The inability to get a first down and to stop a first down,” he said. “That’s not being critical, that’s just being analytical. I saw a lot of good stuff. A lot of good things. But, at critical times, maybe one critical stop, or one critical first down more, we’re not a talking about the season in past tense this early. We’re playing a playoff game at home.”
While the offensive line was a season-long issue, Buono said some of the criticism was unwarranted by the end of it. The Lions rushed for 220, 179 and 213 yards in their final three games. The GM said he can’t recall a stretch where the team was as productive via the overland route. No wonder. It was the first month of Buono’s first season in B.C. — 2003 — when the team had consecutive rushing totals of 216, 220 and 187 yards and the feature back was Kelvin Anderson.
I thought the personnel of our O Line, despite the injuries, the inexperience and its patchwork nature did pretty well, especially so after the changes to pass protection and run blocking.
“Matt Norman (first-year starting centre) showed tremendous progress his last three or four games,” Buono said. “Think of his growth. A lot of the good younger players — Kirby Fabien, Cord Parks, Josh Bell, Matt McGarva, Jabar Westerman, S.J. Haidara — these guys are going to be that much better next year. And I believe there’s still a very good nucleus of veteran players.”
Be nice to get Bell signed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

“Matt Norman (first-year starting centre) showed tremendous progress his last three or four games,” Buono said. “Think of his growth."
Yes, Norman's improvement was the key to the success of the run game. Was it the simplified blocking assignments? Maybe. It's tough to replace a 12-year vet and be responsible for the blocking assignments on on the O-line. I hope the worst of Norman's growing pains are over.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

McGarva was injured most of the year. Difficult to say he will be better next year.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

South Pender wrote:Interesting piece within a piece by Cam Cole (in my opinion, Vancouver's best sports writer) yesterday--might have been in the Sun; I saw it in the National Post--noting that "B.C.'s Banks still has it," and how he hasn't lost a step as evidenced by his "sprint [of] 61 yards downfield to catch Saskatchewan running back Kory Sheets and knock him out of bounds at the B. C. four-yard line late in the second quarter of Sunday's Western semifinal." Cole obviously believes Korey Banks should be kept going forward. I'm inclined to agree.
At the time of that play, I was thinking that a younger Banks would have caught Sheets sooner. That said if there is some speed loss on Banks' part it is likely only half a step and it is more than made up by great football knowledge, awareness, and instinct.
Blitz
Team Captain

In the Province article below Buono hopes Benevedes will recommend that Marsh and Phillips return for next season, the kicking game needs to get better, the defense has to get younger, a new left tackle will suit up next season. and no reactionary coaching changes are necessary..that our Lions team were very well prepared for the playoffs.
Buono says forget the grades, it’s only win or lose for his football team

B.C. Lions GM Wally Buono says head coach Benevides will be back, but feels this team should still be playing

Wally Buono probably wasn’t all that great in school, and even if he was, he surely wouldn’t have been a good teacher. Ask the man in charge of the B.C. Lions for a letter grade on the performance of the general manager this year and he sidesteps the question.

“Don’t give letter grades,” he said. “An A or a B isn’t acceptable if you don’t win. When you lose it’s never a good year.”

And during a wide-ranging discussion Thursday it was clear that Buono didn’t consider it to be a good year and will be sufficiently busy making improvements during the off-season. It will start, he said, with a recommendation by head coach Mike Benevides on the composition of his 2014 staff.

Speaking for the first time since the Lions’ season ended with their fourth-quarter meltdown in the CFL West Division semifinal, Buono said proof of Benevides’ ability to form a staff rests with the fact the club, unannounced, already picked up the option on the final season of his three-year contract.

Buono will have input but not before he hears from the man he hired as his successor after the 2011 season, and said a third season with Benevides in charge was an endorsement of his 24-12 record over two regular seasons.

But when asked to look at his own work, Buono broke the season into the moves made before and after training camp, when the general manager was busier than some years in the past plugging holes that were evident in Kamloops but made worse due to injuries (see chart).

“I don’t want to pat myself on the back or stab myself in the stomach. When we had to improve, we did,” Buono said. “Bringing Manny Arceneaux and Solomon Elimimian was good. Nick Moore, Courtney Taylor, Matt Norman and Kirby Fabien were good decisions. Cord Parks.

“Trading Khalif Mitchell, even though some idiot reporter keeps throwing it in my face, was good because it helped the individual turn his life around. Trading Geroy Simon, getting rid of Byron Parker and Anthony Reddick all clearly helped the locker-room and got us younger. Julius Williams wasn’t good.

“When we needed to fill needs, Steve Myddelton and Chris Wilson helped us. Buck Pierce gave us some confidence. Stefan Logan worked. And we’re going into a difficult winter with only three key free agents. We’re going to be under the cap.”

With all that going for the Lions, the GM should have a team in the West Division final Sunday at the very least. But after a year in which he signed three players with a Lions history to make mid-season upgrades, Buono also identified a need to make changes in scouting procedures and to get younger on defence as off-season points of emphasis.

B.C. had seven players on defence over 30 years of age Sunday, including five in the front seven, and Buono said it had to change, but hopes Benevides will concur that Dante Marsh or Ryan Phillips are not among those who must be moved.

Offensively, the Lions will have to look at an alternative at left tackle to Ben Archibald, 35, and with 43-year-old Paul McCallum for starters, said Buono.

“Kicking is a scenario where we have to get better,” said Buono, adding that some moves will be predicated on whether veterans are willing to agree to a contract restructuring.

But Buono has no interest in returning to the sideline to guide a team that doesn’t have a playoff win since he left coaching. As such he is willing to abide by Benevides’ coaching recommendations, providing they are sellable to the paying customer, and done quicker than normal because of upcoming vacancies around the CFL.

“Winning is important but whether it’s a coach or a player, if people are going to repulse from supporting you, you have to do something,” said Buono, who made it clear he never told anyone he would make reactionary coaching changes in the immediate aftermath of the Lions’ loss to the Saskatchewan Roughriders Sunday.

“We fought through adversity in 2013 to put us in position Sunday. We were very well prepared. The one thing that’s been consistently inconsistent is the ability to make plays on the road at a critical time. It’s not good enough to win.

“We’re not too far away. But I’m not being fooled.”

lullrich@theprovince.com

twitter.com/fifthqtr

Moves made since the end of training camp this year by Lions GM Wally Buono:

Position, Player(s), Reason(s)

QB, Buck Pierce and Joey Elliott-x, injury to Travis Lulay.

TB, Stefan Logan, underperformance by Andrew Harris and offensive line.

OL, Steve Myddelton, injuries to Kirby Fabien, Angus Reid, Adam Baboulas.

DL, Chris Wilson and Jermaine Reid, underperformance by Julius Williams.

DB, Keynan Parker, underperformance by J.R. LaRose; training camp injury to Matt McGarva.

K, Steven Schott, contract issue, underperformance by Hugh O’Neill.

LS, Jordan Matechuk, underperformance by Tim Cronk.

x-Released and later re-signed

lullrich@theprovince.com
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It is not a surprise the views that Wally is espousing at all. Predictable and I don't mean that in a critical sense.

What I have yet to see yet and it looks like it won't happen is the HC speaking out and now it won't and can't happen until post GC.

I thought Mike Benevides was not ready to be a HC but felt he did a good job overall last year and we saw more of the same this year.

But what is missing still is the leadership you typically see in the public domain from the HC.

Clear philosophy and vision.

What I did contrast his style (public anyway) is with Kent Austin as a CFL HC.

Listened to Austin's post game dressing room remarks last week after their Als win and how in 2:49 he showed why he is a good HC and why players like his leadership. Storytelling in there ...the challenge of the wind yet they scored in the 4th. Unlike Kavis, he said he had a lot to say but you guys don't want to hear it- humour. In time it is all a team who just won a game will listen to and he knows that.

Post game players talked of his gutsy calls. You don't get that with BC. Mike B needs to learn that role.

You get a sense of how Austin has worked to develop his team - wants to win - no sacred cows (not afraid to sit Burris for parts of the game) and how his staff as he keeps referring to them collectively thinks. Mike Benevides could take notes. Austin is different as a HC than he was as a player where some felt he was too quick in those days to not take personal responsibility when things went south but he has shown as a CFL HC in a short time he has a good future here and will always be able to get a team to win more than lose.

Austin speaks of the staff view of their team and unlike when Kavis speaks of the special in his Esks team (when they sucked) Austin links it to the ongoing growth and development (Trestman and the process of team development). In Bene's first year we heard him say "we're plug and play" and boy did that fizzle in the playoffs.

I have not heard that much of the staff view from HC Benevides and to me that suggests that he just took over the Wally team and ran with it - yet to articulate his idea of what they need to do.

Wally still is the public face of the team and Mike is not really other than his usual pre-game.

I thought as a potential DC Mike B missed the chances to learn from Dave Ritchie - it's showing now as a HC.

But I believe these young HC's need coaching and mentoring NOT FIRING.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
rb
Champion

Glad to see that Wally would like to keep Marsh and Phillips. It's been suggested that Marsh should be left unprotected due to his age; well, Marsh continues to be solid, I don't care a whit about his age until such time as he starts showing clear decline and that hasn't happened. He was still one of the best in the league at the most important spot in the secondary (short-side corner). The secondary played quite well this year and I'd like to see the top performers from that unit return.

Here are the guys that I'd like to see protected:

QB (1):
Lulay

Imports (10):
C. Taylor
Arceneaux
Moore
Olafioye
Bighill
Eliminiam
E. Taylor
Parks
Marsh
Phillips

Non-imports, fully protected (6):
Harris
Gore
Fabien
Norman
Haidara
Westerman

Non-imports, second protection list (7, one of whom will be selected by Ottawa in the opening NI round):
Arakgi
Lumbala
Parker
McGarva
Matechuk
Ianuzzi
*And then God-Knows-Who for the final NI protected player
rb
Champion

Oops, I forgot about Kabongo. There's the other NI protection player.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Difficult decision regarding protecting Moore. He's a free agent and may bolt for another shot at the NFL.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Trading Khalif Mitchell, even though some idiot reporter keeps throwing it in my face, was good because it helped the individual turn his life around.
Good for Mitchell, bad for the team since, you know, you never replaced him with anything close to equivalent talent and let other teams run all over you.

And I'm down with Marsh, but not Phillips.
rb
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Difficult decision regarding protecting Moore. He's a free agent and may bolt for another shot at the NFL.
If Wally is fairly sure that he can't sign Moore, he'll probably leave him unprotected. But if there's a legit chance-- doesn't have to be close to a certainty-- I think he's gotta be protected because he's a proven quality player with plenty of good years left in him. I'd be willing to take that risk if I were the GM.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

rb wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Difficult decision regarding protecting Moore. He's a free agent and may bolt for another shot at the NFL.
If Wally is fairly sure that he can't sign Moore, he'll probably leave him unprotected. But if there's a legit chance-- doesn't have to be close to a certainty-- I think he's gotta be protected because he's a proven quality player with plenty of good years left in him. I'd be willing to take that risk if I were the GM.
The bigger question is will Ottawa gamble on picking FA who they then need to sign in the open market in Feb. So why waste a pick on a player that comes without a contract who you can sign in Feb, anyway?

I would not protect Moore or Phillips, but would protect Bell and Logan.
rb
Champion

That's a fair point re: Moore but protecting him is sort of a way of saying "We want you here." And he's a big contributor with age in his favour so anything that sends a positive signal is worth the risk, unless it's obvious that the chances of re-inking him are slim.

Of the 10 imports on my list, the only other guy that I don't consider to be a no-brainer is Phillips. Bell could be considered but I still think Phillips is better. Logan is a useful player but we already have a quality Canadian RB.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
rb wrote:
The bigger question is will Ottawa gamble on picking FA who they then need to sign in the open market in Feb. So why waste a pick on a player that comes without a contract who you can sign in Feb, anyway?

I would not protect Moore or Phillips, but would protect Bell and Logan.
Fully agree, and even if as RB suggests that it is a show of faith on Moore's part, he can easily be advised that in order to help the team, they are exposing him with the thought that Ottawa won't select him and he would be re-signed asap.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:But I believe these young HC's need coaching and mentoring NOT FIRING.
Spoken as a true management consultant! Just kidding, Toppy. I absolutely agree with you that, since MB isn't going anywhere, he would benefit from a little leadership training. Just not too optimistic that he'll ask for it or get it, and not sure from whom it would come. I'm not at all certain that Wally would be the best guy to deliver it either. Maybe whoever shrinks Bene's head could include Chaps too.

(Cartoon courtesy of Victor Yalom and from http://www.psychotherapy.net/humor/1)