The Buck Starts Here

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

As in any good business startup, the Buck starts here.

That was the Buck that we want to see in BC orange. I loved the drive that he was able to find Taylor just prior to taking the hit after scrambling. Both were on the same page and it was the only way that he was going to make that play. Then the two spring blocks for Logan, a thing of beauty, it was the spark that the O has been looking for for awhile.

Welcome home Buck and 2 1/2 quarters back. Sorry had a few pops if that doesn't sound right. :)
Entertainment value = an all time low
D
Team Captain

I think we found a QB
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

D wrote:I think we found a QB

I've never given up on the guy but what a difference a Buck makes.

As Guilio and the fans here have been saying - Demarco their no. 1 QB while Lulay is out simply wants to be a pocket passer and when the Lions gave him the option plays he handed off over and over in prior games and killed the run game. Why didn't these coaches hammer Demarco in prior games for not running the option.

The Team 1410 post game show has nailed things from Moj, Burns, Guilio. Moj was on sidelines and until Larose INT he says the bench was dead. I felt dead watching but haven't been much excited by BC Lions for a month now.

What is an issue for BC though is Demarco's firm view that you play your number 1 QB and only that no. 1 guy. HC says wait and see what happens at practice.

I watched on TV but I did at times go to Team 1410 for their views and I like Rintoul's work as well as Rick Ball. He can only get better and better. But he has the right voice and knows the game. He's not one of those closet hockey guys who do football as they have to and I don't mean Rick Ball. Ball likes football too.

Buck will be with the Moj on Saturday.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was a tremendous game by Pierce. He manufactured one TD by turning broken plays into first downs. He threw downfield blocks. He threw over top to Arceneaux when the Esks stacked the box. He made the offence hum and he showed great leadership.

DeMarco's confidence was shot after his three losses and he was afraid to throw the ball in the first quarter. Buck lifted the whole team up and DeMarco kept the team rolling when he came back at the end. That was a shrewd move by Benevides to give both quarterbacks their confidence.

There's no better way to break a slump than by playing the Eskimos but that was just what the Lions needed. We'll get a better measuring stick next week against Calgary.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:That was a tremendous game by Pierce. He manufactured one TD by turning broken plays into first downs. He threw downfield blocks. He threw over top to Arceneaux when the Esks stacked the box. He made the offence hum and he showed great leadership.

DeMarco's confidence was shot after his three losses and he was afraid to throw the ball in the first quarter. Buck lifted the whole team up and DeMarco kep the team rolling when he came back at the end. That was a shrewd move by Benevides to give both quarterbacks their confidence.

There's no better way to break a slump than by playing the Eskimos but that was just what the Lions needed. We'll get a better measuring stick next week against Calgary.
I agree that DeMarco's confidence was taken down a lot of notches these past few games. but his biggest problem is that when they gave him option plays in prior games where he could have ran and changed how they defended them, he handed off. With a predictable offence the Lions have you have to have your QB make something happen.

Larose, Logan run and Buck gave the DEF something to play for most of the game. Chris Wilson did help too so Wally did make some good calls on going back to the past.

I will credit Demarco for not taking high risk approaches but there is a time and place to run and to it with less risk.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Yes, it was nice to see Buck out there having success late in a season wearing Lions orange. That being said, I think a positive running game certainly helped our cause. I am really looking forward to seeing and hearing what BUck has to say about how the game looked and how the offence worked.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I agree with Toppy that the running game suffered due to DeMarco's reluctance to keep the ball on the zone read. Buck ran it perfectly for a TD, pulling the ball away from Harris after Willis had committed to crashing down. Defensive ends have been doing that to Harris and the Lions for six games. It was nice to see Buck get some payback.

Edmonton is an awful team with no linebacking talent but that play still works against any overly aggressive D-line.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Yes, it was nice to see Buck out there having success late in a season wearing Lions orange. That being said, I think a positive running game certainly helped our cause. I am really looking forward to seeing and hearing what BUck has to say about how the game looked and how the offence worked.
Moj says Buck on his show Saturday at 1:40 pm.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Buck was outstanding IMO. His veteran presence was obvious.He threw 2 key blocks for his running backs. If he didn't threw the 1st block, Logan would have been stopped short of the goal line. Deservedly he was named Offensive star of the game
David
Team Captain

If you went to a betting window and slapped down $100 bucks on Buck Pierce and JR LaRose being the offensive and defensive players of the game tonight, you'd be "Bill Gates" wealthy.

Outstanding effort by Buck. His improvising tonight (think: the pass down the sideline to Courtney Taylor) was a breath of fresh air. Something that's been missing. And I had forgotten that he can throw the deep ball with some velocity and precision. Had he put just a little more arc on his throw early on he could have had another TD pass (the one that was nearly intercepted).

I am weighing the pros and cons to his playing time next week. The biggest game of the season is in 2 weeks not 1 week. Do you potentially risk Buck's health by having him play 4 quarters in a mean-nothing/tune-up game (depending on one's perspective)? If he's slightly nicked up as some suggest, do you want to give him additional rest leading up to the Rider game??

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dennis Skulsky mentioned tonight that Lulay threw the football more today and hopes to see some action next game.
Cougar Country
Rookie

There's no way I would play Buck for all 4 quarters next week. Someone's gonna be looking to knock him out for the playoffs. I'd like to see Demarco and Elliot or Lulay (depending who dresses) get some work in.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

We all like Buck...he's impossible not to like...and yes, he gave this team life when we were asleep on the field, on the sidelines and in the stands...and Buck does throw a beautiful deep ball...but his success came from the fact that EDM had to respect a running game, and it gave Buck that extra split second to find the receiver and make the throw...if that split second wasn't there, a lot of those big plays simply don't happen...so the Running game was the key...

As Toppy said, DeMarco has had chance after chance to use his legs and help the running game, but he didn't...Pierce did, and it made a big difference...now, can Buck stay healthy the rest of the way??? That will depend largely on the running game's success...

Way to go Buck!!!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:As Guilio and the fans here have been saying - Demarco their no. 1 QB while Lulay is out simply wants to be a pocket passer and when the Lions gave him the option plays he handed off over and over in prior games and killed the run game. Why didn't these coaches hammer Demarco in prior games for not running the option.
I wonder whether DeMarco has the speed and running ability to make much out of the read option. You do need a mobile QB to make that work.
Toppy Vann wrote:What is an issue for BC though is Demarco's firm view that you play your number 1 QB and only that no. 1 guy.
Does a backup QB's view have any effect on who plays?
South Pender
Legend

Good for Wally to have had the foresight to reach out to Buck even before Travis went down. That shows GM moxie. And good for Wally for bringing in Chris Wilson and Stefan Logan, two guys that were available and could help the team and definitely have. When he couldn't fill the holes on the O-line through a dearth of available players, he did the next best thing and tried to shore up lesser weaknesses elsewhere on the team. Wally is not "past it." He was unwilling to give up on this season--even though many fans were, particularly when Travis went down--and tried to provide a competitive team for the fans right to the end.

And maybe we should even give an attaboy to Jacques (hard as that may be for some) for designing plays for Stefan and getting him really involved, and for putting Buck in when he was needed. We won a game, and the fans were thrilled.