What's the CFL Protocol for Bye Weeks?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

I'm wondering how the Lions will use this time off to maximum advantage. Are players automatically given a number of days off (by the collective agreement)? Can the coach ask players to stay around for practices? It seems to me that, with the repairs needed (not to mention the likelihood of some new faces), much of the next 12 days should be spent with the team.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

In the past players have taken advantage of the break to go home to visit their family and to relax in preparation for the 2nd half
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I'm wondering how the Lions will use this time off to maximum advantage. Are players automatically given a number of days off (by the collective agreement)? Can the coach ask players to stay around for practices? It seems to me that, with the repairs needed (not to mention the likelihood of some new faces), much of the next 12 days should be spent with the team.
Yes, they use it to maximum to allow players to get home to their families and some have a long way to go.

The Lions don't play until Saturday Aug 17 at home so they have a decent break. The players no doubt would have preferred this game last Friday or even Saturday to get them more time off. At this stage of the season they need it. Hard TCs and now bumps and bruises.

They can come back and practice for a Saturday game with three good sessions that could go Tues, Wed. Thursday, with a Friday walk thru. However post game I heard they get tomorrow off as Sunday is normally pay day IIRC and the players are around and the HC is bringing them back a week Monday.

No teams run mini-TCs if you were wondering that. Even the ugly teams take a break.

Let's hope Benny cancels the OFF coaches time off (they don't get any) and gets them looking over their game plans and play calling.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Thanks, TV; great information. I can see this as a really nice time for players on teams who have played well prior to the break, but with the problems the Lions have at this point in the season, I, as a fan, would prefer to see them take three or four days off and then get to work trying to fix the problems. However, as you say, if Chapdelaine uses all the time (and I'd add Stubler too, although perhaps not to the same extent) to design a more imaginative offense, this 12-day period could be put to good use. I'd also hope that Wally brings in some needed players a.s.a.p. and uses the time to get them integrated into the mix.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: Let's hope Benny cancels the OFF coaches time off (they don't get any) and gets them looking over their game plans and play calling.
I recalled Buono had the coaches did a review of the playcalling and whether there was any predicatability in the offence several seasons ago. The verdict: No predictability, schemes are fine. Players need to execute better.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Why is it that the majority of a very knowledgeable fan base here at Lionbackers realizes that Lulay is not at his best as a pocket passer but as a roll out QB. And yet the coaching staff doesn't realize this? Defences recognize this and try to contain Lulay in the pocket, but if you use a designed roll out with pulling guard and shifting linemen and blocking backs, then the far side DE and LB are out of the play and the roll to side DE and LB have a pulling guard and blocking back/dump pass receiver in their face. The few times that the Lions did this it worked...so why not do it some more?

You can still take what the defence gives you be it short passing or long passing game or whatever from the roll out mobile QB. So why not have Lulay roll out instead of scramble for his life from the pocket with the O line not knowing where he is going?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Why is it that the majority of a very knowledgeable fan base here at Lionbackers realizes that Lulay is not at his best as a pocket passer but as a roll out QB. And yet the coaching staff doesn't realize this? Defences recognize this and try to contain Lulay in the pocket, but if you use a designed roll out with pulling guard and shifting linemen and blocking backs, then the far side DE and LB are out of the play and the roll to side DE and LB have a pulling guard and blocking back/dump pass receiver in their face. The few times that the Lions did this it worked...so why not do it some more?

You can still take what the defence gives you be it short passing or long passing game or whatever from the roll out mobile QB. So why not have Lulay roll out instead of scramble for his life from the pocket with the O line not knowing where he is going?
I'm not a fan of rollouts, and I don't think Lulay is effective as a rollout passer. The offence has a big advantage when it can use the full 65-yard width of the field to spread the defence. Teams will often run combination routes on one side and isolate a wide receiver on a cornerback on the other side, or slip a runing back into the flat on either side. The goal is to get players in space . When the QB rolls out, the defence rolls with him. Instead of five receivers, he may ponly have two. If they're covered, the QB can quickly run out of real estate and options.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: Let's hope Benny cancels the OFF coaches time off (they don't get any) and gets them looking over their game plans and play calling.
I recalled Buono had the coaches did a review of the playcalling and whether there was any predicatability in the offence several seasons ago. The verdict: No predictability, schemes are fine. Players need to execute better.
Yes, and then after a bit longer of more of the same not getting a better result, Wally finally did admit to the schemes being an issue.

Another eye brow raiser was the post game comment of MB that he doesn't 'give a damn' what people think of what they are doing in games. He is fine with the team. I agree with that if all they need to do is tweak a few things. Lulay had a better way of stating how back at college he had to get over reading and listening to others so he is not much into the media and fan statements. On college campus Lulay likely couldn't avoid the people advising more air on the ball - in pros it is a bit easier.

Re: What's the CFL Protocol for Bye Weeks?
Post by South Pender on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:19 pm
Thanks, TV; great information. I can see this as a really nice time for players on teams who have played well prior to the break, but with the problems the Lions have at this point in the season, I, as a fan, would prefer to see them take three or four days off and then get to work trying to fix the problems. However, as you say, if Chapdelaine uses all the time (and I'd add Stubler too, although perhaps not to the same extent) to design a more imaginative offense, this 12-day period could be put to good use. I'd also hope that Wally brings in some needed players a.s.a.p. and uses the time to get them integrated into the mix.
Even the ugly teams take the break as some need that break more than the average teams do with players coming back to practice more focused, a bit more relaxed and a bit more insightful about what is and isn't working with their games.

If they tried to decrease the time off the players might reward the club with a collective let down (albeit very hard to detect). This is a long season and this break is critical for their bodies and minds. You don't want the players come play offs thinking of down home.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnHenry
Champion

DanoT wrote:Why is it that the majority of a very knowledgeable fan base here at Lionbackers realizes that Lulay is not at his best as a pocket passer but as a roll out QB. And yet the coaching staff doesn't realize this? Defences recognize this and try to contain Lulay in the pocket, but if you use a designed roll out with pulling guard and shifting linemen and blocking backs, then the far side DE and LB are out of the play and the roll to side DE and LB have a pulling guard and blocking back/dump pass receiver in their face. The few times that the Lions did this it worked...so why not do it some more?

I agree Lulay is more effective when he rolls out of the pocket, by design or due to the pressure. I think the Lions are playing it conservative for the first half of the season, trying to cut down on the number of hits Travis takes, to keep him healthy for the games that really matter.

I believe Travis could also be nicked up a bit. He got rundown from behind in the last game and other recent games, which you rarely saw before.

In the bigger games vs the Stamps and Riders, I'll bet we see Travis scramble and rollout more, as he normally can scamper for a 1st down whenever necessary. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: I'm not a fan of rollouts, and I don't think Lulay is effective as a rollout passer. The offence has a big advantage when it can use the full 65-yard width of the field to spread the defence. Teams will often run combination routes on one side and isolate a wide receiver on a cornerback on the other side, or slip a runing back into the flat on either side. The goal is to get players in space . When the QB rolls out, the defence rolls with him. Instead of five receivers, he may ponly have two. If they're covered, the QB can quickly run out of real estate and options.
I don't think Buono is a fan of rollouts either. Says it cuts the CFL field by 50%
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: I'm not a fan of rollouts, and I don't think Lulay is effective as a rollout passer. The offence has a big advantage when it can use the full 65-yard width of the field to spread the defence. Teams will often run combination routes on one side and isolate a wide receiver on a cornerback on the other side, or slip a runing back into the flat on either side. The goal is to get players in space . When the QB rolls out, the defence rolls with him. Instead of five receivers, he may ponly have two. If they're covered, the QB can quickly run out of real estate and options.
I don't think Buono is a fan of rollouts either. Says it cuts the CFL field by 50%
But isn't the idea that you've left the majority of the defenders over in the other 50%?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
But isn't the idea that you've left the majority of the defenders over in the other 50%?
No. There's unsually more defenders than offensive players. They don't have to defend the opposite side. A QB is taught to never throw back to the middle of the field.
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote: Another eye brow raiser was the post game comment of MB that he doesn't 'give a damn' what people think of what they are doing in games. He is fine with the team.
Boy, I couldn't agree more. That's not what a coach should be saying publicly. At a time when the team is striving for better fan turnouts at games, he should at least say (even if he doesn't necessarily completely believe it) that he cares about what people think of what they are doing in games. I don't think Wally would have said that.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Cutting the field by 50% leaves a small playing surface in the NFL, but not in the CFL with the 65 yard wide field. :wink:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reading the CBA it looks like when there are 6 or more days between games the teams are required to give players a minimum of 1 day off. I'd take that to mean more days off than the one are at the club's discretion. Having said that I think the clubs do place value in the players getting at least a few days off during these bye weeks. Interestingly when there are 5 or less all practices must be without full gear i.e. no more equipment than shoulder pads, helmets and sweats.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.