Official NFL Thread: 2013-2014 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:What's the rationale for that move ?
The league wants to push their own merch (see-thru tote bags) and they're framing it as a security issue (weapons can be concealed in opaque, unauthorised bags) is what it looks like to me.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:What's the rationale for that move ?
The league wants to push their own merch (see-thru tote bags) and they're framing it as a security issue (weapons can be concealed in opaque, unauthorised bags) is what it looks like to me.
\

BTW, sj-roc, love your signature line. I grumble about the Lions but looking at that home record I've been getting lots of wins for my entertainment $$$.

I've always tried to have a 'don't need it, don't take it' policy when going to football games. But, I'm not a female and/or do I carry a purse. I guess that is just another change people are going to have to adapt to. Its puzzling to me just because where there is a will there is a way. Vancouver had its huge Pride Parade last week. Wonder what the public security was there? Large amount of people having fun. Same thing with the fireworks. If anything a stadium is a little bit safer because access is a little bit tougher to obtain. We will continue to add layers of security and people will continue to be able to bypass that security.

I saw LOTS of people getting busted (after they were inside the Dome) with smuggled in booze during the 2011 Grey Cup. When you are paying $300 for a ticket, why smuggle in booze? "I'm not going to get caught and I enjoy getting around the rules", is what I imagine these scofflaws are thinking......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The guy behind me smuggled in a mickey of vodka last game. Haven't seen that since my Empire Stadium days.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender, the Seahawks game is being replayed at 8PM tonight........(Sunday)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Four downs with Ditka
BY MIKE DITKA August 10, 2013 1:36AM

Updated: August 11, 2013 2:38AM

1. What’s the most important thing first-year coach Marc Trestman wants to see in his preseason games?

He’s going to want to see continuity in his team. Do they get in and out of the huddle? How do they play together? Are they in sync? Do they not take careless penalties? Basically, as a coach, you want to see them be proficient — that all the things you are working on in the camp have carried over into the game. You know, Marc’s been around the block. He’s been an assistant in the NFL and a head coach in the CFL, so I think he knows what to expect.

2. What’s with all the key injuries around the NFL in training camps before any games were even played?

I feel if you play football long enough, injuries are going to happen. It does seem, though, that there have been a lot of medial collateral tears in knees. Conditioning and strength training are an important part of the game, but I think you can overdo it. It’s only my opinion, but I think when you bulk up the thigh muscles and you bulk up the calf muscles, maybe the tendons and ligaments can’t support it. You know, when I was with Coach [Tom] Landry in Dallas, we stressed conditioning, but we spent a lot of time on stretching those joints, not just building strength. Maybe the most fit athlete I have ever seen was Walter Payton. He spent as much time as anyone running steps, working on cutting, balance and stretching, not just bulking up.

3. If you have the first pick of a fantasy draft, whom do you take?

Aaron Rodgers. I really feel he’s the best player in the NFL. Now, I don’t want to slight Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, but he’d be my pick. I don’t really follow fantasy much, but here are some teams I’d watch for. Even though Baltimore lost several guys, I think you’ll see some guys mature and step up. Denver will be good. Look at New England. They still have the two guys — Belichick and Brady. Kansas City will be improved. And keep an eye on the Bears.

4. Tell us about your new venture with the Ditka Sausage. And is your doctor OK with making it part of your daily diet?

Well, Vienna Beef came to me and wanted to do it. It just made sense. They’re really tasty. They have a chicken and a hot Polish. They’re good for you. My doctor? [laughing] I don’t talk to him anymore.
Ditka is priceless. I have thought the same thing re the injuries.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The guy behind me smuggled in a mickey of vodka last game. Haven't seen that since my Empire Stadium days.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen a discarded flask on the floor of a BCP washroom.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

There's an interesting piece in yesterday's Vancouver Sun by Bruce Constantineau on the effects of the NFL on Vancouver. I'm sorry that I can't reproduce it here (I don't subscribe), but can mention a few points from the article. It seems that about 10% of the 68,000 fans that attend Seahawks games are Canadians down for the game--the vast majority from the greater Vancouver area (although I will say that my son-in-law from the Okanagan and his buddies make the trip once or twice a season!). Also, about 2,000 British Columbians have Seahawks season tickets. The influence of the NFL is growing, undoubtedly helped along by the resurgence of an exciting Seahawks team. Sales of Seahawks merchandise in B. C. have risen 300% since 2011. The Seahawks have mounted a real campaign here, with the most recent event being a visit by Seahawk players at The Village at Park Royal in July.

Interestingly (at least to me!), the five most popular NFL teams in Canada are, in order, the: (1) Minnesota Vikings, (2) Green Bay Packers, (3) New England Patriots, (4) Pittsburgh Steelers, and (5) Seattle Seahawks. My guess is that the first four are there by virtue of Ontario fans, with help from fans from Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, and the Maritimes. Not much question which NFL team is most popular in B. C.! Some B. C. retailers of football merchandise are reporting more sales of NFL than of CFL merchandise. Seattle's rising popularity is due to two factors, according to Dan Quinn, Managing Director of NFL Canada: (a) the improved quality of the team and (b) a ramped-up community outreach program initiated by the Seahawks.

I guess a question is whether this increased interest in the NFL in general and the 'Hawks in particular is accompanied by a decrease in interest in the CFL, and Dennis Skulsky doesn't seem to be worried by this uptick in NFL interest. In fact, the Lions sent Wally Buono and some Lions players to help out with the 'Hawks' recent marketing foray into West Vancouver. Skulsky appears to believe that growing the game of football is good for both the NFL and CFL. Evidently, betting by B. C. fans on NFL games comes to about $13M annually through the B.C. Lottery Corp., compared with about $1M annually wagered on CFL games.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Great review South Pender.

As to growing the game...I disagree with Skulsky and I'd risk misquoting no other than former NFL executive Bobby Ackles on that one and the NFL and he said the NFL in Canada is a threat and I suspect he'd not want to overdo the Lions joint marketing. These joint marketing ventures don't help to sell Lion tickets.

I don't agree that anything to grow the game is a good thinking in a league that is ticket revenue based more than other pro leagues.

Grow the game means for the CFL means more local and national business sponsorships and more fans in cities and more teams in more cities across Canada.

Grow the game means that the Lions need to recheck their stats on the incomes of their fan base as I really feel that number is very high for incomes of who buys their tickets and gear.

The new reality is that an entire generation and more is growing up dissing the CFL and embracing all things NFL. Fans have become fan-atics truely these days. No longer can they love both the NFL and the CFL and in dissing the CFL they are dissing the NFL greats too who started in the CFL and amongst whom you will not find one to knock the game or its quality from Flutie to Theismann, Moon, Dieter Brock, etc.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Here's the link to the 'Vancouver Seahawks' story.....

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

Good read, IMO. Thanks for pointing it out South Pender. Was a little puzzled at times. Maybe I was following a different outcome than Skulsky when he talked about being set for the long term. I don't see any issues that the NFL is weaker at than the CFL, save one. I don't know of any large class action lawsuits by ex-CFL players who are feeling either damaged and/or cut out of $$$, that they feel they deserve....

I enjoyed my one trip to Seattle to take in the Emerald City and a Seahawks game. My one day game ticket cost me about 1/2 of what a full year season ticket to the Lions costs me ($500). I took the Amtrak train down on a Friday morning and returned via Amtrak Monday evening.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Here's the link to the 'Vancouver Seahawks' story.....

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

Good read, IMO. Thanks for pointing it out South Pender. Was a little puzzled at times. Maybe I was following a different outcome than Skulsky when he talked about being set for the long term. I don't see any issues that the NFL is weaker at than the CFL, save one. I don't know of any large class action lawsuits by ex-CFL players who are feeling either damaged and/or cut out of $$$, that they feel they deserve....

I enjoyed my one trip to Seattle to take in the Emerald City and a Seahawks game. My one day game ticket cost me about 1/2 of what a full year season ticket to the Lions costs me ($500). I took the Amtrak train down on a Friday morning and returned via Amtrak Monday evening.
This is probably part of why — as the article states — Goodell wants to grow annual NFL revenues in the next 14 years to 2.5x what they are now. There could be plenty of spending in the league's future.

Wonder if we'll see cresting on uniforms and on-field advertising as the NFL looks to meet Goodell's projections?

Interestingly the story is also available at this other link under a different headline.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:....Wonder if we'll see cresting on uniforms and on-field advertising as the NFL looks to meet Goodell's projections?...
I sure hope not! But I guess they'll do what they need to do. It is a business and I'll bet they've already had some offers. For e.g. bits of one game I watched today (Falcons/Bengals, I think) a company 'sponsors' each 3rd down conversion attempt.

Actual on uniform/field ads, hope not but if it happens, okay........

I didn't think it was possible but I saw a short clip on Friday's NFL AM and the league has tightened up its celebration policies related to TD's, sack dances etc.... Living up to the nickname No-Fun-League (although personally not that into the celebrations, many fans LOVE them).
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:....Wonder if we'll see cresting on uniforms and on-field advertising as the NFL looks to meet Goodell's projections?...
I sure hope not! But I guess they'll do what they need to do. It is a business and I'll bet they've already had some offers. For e.g. bits of one game I watched today (Falcons/Bengals, I think) a company 'sponsors' each 3rd down conversion attempt.

I didn't think it was possible but I saw a short clip on Friday's NFL AM and the league has tightened up its celebration policies related to TD's, sack dances etc.... Living up to the nickname No-Fun-League (although personally not that into the celebrations, many fans LOVE them).
I don't mind the more spontaneous celebrations but I can do without the overly choreographed stuff and/or elaborate use of props (Joe Horn cell phone, TO sharpie, or for a hockey example, Ovechkin "warming" his hands on his "hot" stick).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: I sure hope not! But I guess they'll do what they need to do. It is a business and I'll bet they've already had some offers. For e.g. bits of one game I watched today (Falcons/Bengals, I think) a company 'sponsors' each 3rd down conversion attempt.

It's inevitable. Aren't some stadiums named after sponsors ?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
notahomer wrote: I sure hope not! But I guess they'll do what they need to do. It is a business and I'll bet they've already had some offers. For e.g. bits of one game I watched today (Falcons/Bengals, I think) a company 'sponsors' each 3rd down conversion attempt.

MOST of them are. From this list there are only seven of 31 without a naming rightsholder: Candlestick Park, Ralph Wilson Stadium, Lambeau Field, the Georgia Dome, Soldier Field, Paul Brown Stadium and Arrowhead Stadium. The 49ers will leave the 'Stick next year for a new stadium that already has a naming rightsholder and will bring that list down to six.

In the CFL it's half & half: BC Place, Commonwealth Stadium, McMahon Stadium & Percival Molson Memorial Stadium are without naming rightsholders while Ssk, Wpg, Ham & Tor play (or will play) in sponsored venues.
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

MOST of them are. From this list there are only seven of 31 without a naming rightsholder: Candlestick Park, Ralph Wilson Stadium, Lambeau Field, the Georgia Dome, Soldier Field, Paul Brown Stadium and Arrowhead Stadium. The 49ers will leave the 'Stick next year for a new stadium that already has a naming rightsholder and will bring that list down to six.
I'd bet that Lambeau would be the last to go that route. The Packers fans are very proud of their team and likely revere Curly Lambeau (founder of the team and its first coach). They're proud that they are community-owned, and I'd guess that they'd really hate to see some commercial enterprise's name on their stadium in place of Lambeau's.

You know, through the magic (or evil sorcery depending on your view) of TV, we do see on-field ads superimposed on the stands and and walls of the stadiums when we're watching games on the tube. They aren't really there, of course, but to the TV viewer they are. Those at the stadium are spared these, and I hope it stays that way. The NFL is the most successful sports enterprise in the U.S. and is raking in billions through a truly-solid fan base. I hope they continue to shun uniform logos and, particularly, those cheesy paper or vinyl propped-up billboards we see along the sidelines at CFL stadiums (and into which players regularly fall).