Arceneaux Fined for TD Celebration

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

The CFL fined Manny Arceneaux for using a prop in a TD celebration in last week's game. Not a big deal, I guess; it's a slow news day! :wink:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I thought Manny was just showing us his appreciation for The Open going on last weekend.

They should have fined the Lions players who did the canoe paddling celebration. Not because it was illegal, but because it was stupid looking and has been done before by the Stamps.

I prefer the old Jason Clermont spike the ball or hand it to the Ref, as if to say "I've done this before, lets go on to the next play".
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:The CFL fined Manny Arceneaux for using a prop in a TD celebration in last week's game. Not a big deal, I guess; it's a slow news day! :wink:
Lame
South Pender
Legend

DanoT wrote:I prefer the old Jason Clermont spike the ball or hand it to the Ref, as if to say "I've done this before, lets go on to the next play".
I agree completely. As many coaches have said before: "Try to look as if you've been there before." Maybe a mild fist pump, but then hand the ball to the referee.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I thought Manny was just showing us his appreciation for The Open going on last weekend.

They should have fined the Lions players who did the canoe paddling celebration. Not because it was illegal, but because it was stupid looking and has been done before by the Stamps.

I prefer the old Jason Clermont spike the ball or hand it to the Ref, as if to say "I've done this before, lets go on to the next play".
No the Stamps were 4 man bobsledding, whereas the Lions were in a canoe. ;)

It is much better when the TD scorer is celebrating with his teammates or the fans. That said, I can only hope that Manny gets fined numerous more times this season, if he so chooses.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Personally not my thing, but if others are entertained by it, then that's fine.

The part I found amusing was Kabonga jumping onto the back of the "canoe."

If that was real life, the three "rowers" would have been launched into the lake like they were strung from a bungee cord. :rotf:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
DanoT wrote:I prefer the old Jason Clermont spike the ball or hand it to the Ref, as if to say "I've done this before, lets go on to the next play".
I agree completely. As many coaches have said before: "Try to look as if you've been there before." Maybe a mild fist pump, but then hand the ball to the referee.
I prefer this: Act as if what you did took your whole life to achieve, you've worked hard, trained, accepted your responsiblility and now you've accomplished a successful goal. Act as if you're quite excited the means was worth the ends.

Oh, and don't forget that the fans just LOVED what you did.

Then do it again, and be just as happy and proud as the last time you did it.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It was not something that I'd like to see the BC Lions start doing. I felt it was classless in Calgary with their silly antics and can't understand why Arceneaux and his crew hadn't realized that.

You want players to keep their heads in the game. Celebrating a TD when the coaches want to get the point after team out is a distraction. That can lead to situations in tough games where they go for two but in all the celebrations that the team has been doing to come up with new material, the message gets screwed up and the team has too many in the huddle as the coaches are sending in a tight end package.
When you get into the end zone, act like you've been there before.

— Vince Lombardi
“When you get in the endzone, act like you've been there before.”
snakemiester

Bear Bryant quotes (American Football coach, 1913-1983)
I like this guy's take on it:
http://www.unboxedthoughts.com/2012/01/ ... re-before/
When You Get into the End Zone,
Act Like You’ve Been There Before

“When you get into the end zone, act like you’ve been there before.” Have you ever heard this saying? If you’re a sports fan, you probably have (though you it’s rarely exemplified by any of the professional athletes you see on TV). Taken literally, it means that if you happen to find yourself playing football and happen to score a touchdown, you shouldn’t dance around like a fool who is seemingly surprised by his newfound success. Suggested protocol? Hi-five a teammate or two, sure, but then hand the ball right to the referee and get back to the bench and your job.

This adage obviously has its roots on the football gridiron, but since very few of us are going to be scoring touchdowns anytime soon, let’s focus on the deeper meaning. “Act like you’ve been there before” is a reminder that personal success should be expected – not come a surprise to you or to anyone else. Why is it expected? Because you’ve worked your tail off to get there! It’s also a call for humility, recognizing that you are where you are due to, in large part, the efforts of your entire team. And I’d say that these two personality traits – humility and hard work (with the confidence & expectation that it will lead to success) – are two critically important qualities to have, whether you’re an athlete or a PR practitioner. And if you disagree, ask yourself – would you really want to have a desk next to someone like DeSean Jackson?
He shows a video clip of GK for Everton who scored a goal from 90 yards with the fans going nuts and Tim Howard - an American- acting like it was nothing.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I thought Manny was just showing us his appreciation for The Open going on last weekend.

That seems to be the way Cornish was celebrating his TD versus the Lions week one. I'm no Cornish fan but I'll admit it made me respect it. He had every right to go bonkers but getting the win at the end of the night is what really mattered....
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:

That seems to be the way Cornish was celebrating his TD versus the Lions week one. I'm no Cornish fan but I'll admit it made me respect it. He had every right to go bonkers but getting the win at the end of the night is what really mattered....
Cornish isn't a Saint by any means, recall him mooning the fans in Regina. His apology for it afterwards was poorly PR written, sounding like he had to say it or lose a paycheque.
Entertainment value = an all time low