Team 1040 reporting Mitchell to Argos.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Probably no surprise given how many DL BC has and of course the other issues.

And no it's not April Fools.

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO -- The Toronto Argonauts and BC Lions have completed a trade that will send former all-star DT Khalif Mitchell to the defending Grey Cup Champions in exchange for import DE Adrian Awasom as well as the rights to a negotiation list player.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/mitchell-on-t ... -d-lineman
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

ouch, bc o line better protect their arms playing against toronto.

good riddance I say.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

I'm not surprised to see Mitchell gone. Although a dominating player, he's a loose cannon, and Wally (and undoubtedly Benny) doesn't like to have to deal with distractions. I'm disappointed, though, in what we got in return.
OhioCFLFan
prospect

I don't believe there was much of a market for Mitchell, seeing as he is a loose cannon. I'm not surprised that the Lions didn't get market value for the guy.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

The neg list player could be the key to the deal, you never know. This Awasom guy based on size alone seems like a tweener between DE and DT. Blah.

Hopefully LU or some other reporter gets info on who the neg list player is.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Andrew Harris ‏@andrewharris33 8m
Good riddance!!!!
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Blitz
Team Captain

OhioCFLFan wrote:I don't believe there was much of a market for Mitchell, seeing as he is a loose cannon. I'm not surprised that the Lions didn't get market value for the guy.
Mitchell slid in his play last year, on top of all the distractions and issues. He was no longer dominating in the middle, as he was during our Grey Cup season.

Khalif Mitchell became a favorite Leo of mine when he joined our Leos and I wanted him to become a regular starter well before he got his opportunity. He was a one man wrecking crew in 2011 and double teams couldnèt stop him. When he turned down the NFL to return to B.C. last year I was estatic. Last season Mitchell was a great disappointment.

I really believe Mitchell has a lot of good qualities but he also needs to do some personal work. Hopefully he will turn things around again in Toronto..I wish him well.

I like the trade even though the player we got in return may not help us...the negotiation list player is definitely someone we have an eye on. At least we got something for Mitchell..we couldn't even get a low round draft choice for Reddick, who was a starter on a Grey Cup champion team.

We now have a better idea how our defense is going to look in 2013.

The trading of Mitchell also opens up the possibilites for Jordan.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Big Time
Champion

Can't say I'm sorry to see him go. He was immature and undisciplined, and while I was willing to give him a chance, ultimately I think he hurt the team more than he helped last year. He spent nearly half of last season injured or suspended, and the ridiculous racial slurs and throat slashing/cross gestures were the final straw for me. Quite frankly, he didn't strike me as being intelligent enough to change his game for the better.

Maybe a change of scenery will do him well. As it stands, I see this as addition by subtraction.
Rammer
Team Captain

Potential unrealized yet again in football player. Seems to be more common than it should be. Mitchell was arguably the most dominating player during the Lions Grey Cup run, and to see his level of play coupled with his off field 'difficulties' and a couple on the field as well, well it isn't a surprise.

Funny how nobody brought up the optics factor on being traded to TO, Braley team East. I am betting the Angus isn't too happy about this development, as the fired up Mitchell is more than a handful to deal with.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I will miss Mitchell, despite the issues, and wish him the best. I a way, this is the best way to so it, trade him on a day when the sports world is focused elsewhere.

I'm underwhelmed by Awasom. Best case, he's rotational and contributes on special teams. He's 30 in October, so he's not long term depth.

So I suppose it comes down to the guy on the neg list, or whether you view this as addition by subtraction.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I trust this trade was approved by the Commissioner
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I trust this trade was approved by the Commissioner
and the Senator too!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

1 Many issues last year ...

2 Import depth on the D Line ...

3 Player move "precipitated" by Lionbackers' thread ... :wink:

Deal sealed by the trifecta.

Is McCallum next? God bless Paul, but how long can O'Neill languish before he loses his competitive edge?
David
Team Captain

korey&dante4ever wrote: Andrew Harris ‏@andrewharris33
Good riddance!!!!
^ ^ ^
It surprised me that a player would take to social media to express relief that a teammate has been traded. I think it underscores how polarizing Khalif was in the lockerroom.

He's an enormous talent, I am not so sure we're better without him. I do like our talent and depth on the defensive line, but I question the wisdom of acquiring another D-lineman with our O-line concerns.

Still, the key to the deal is a defensive back that management have had their eye on for some time. Interesting comment from Wally in this article by Mike Beamish:
Buono said the negotiation list player the Lions received in the Mitchell trade is not a throw-in but a defensive back with some NFL experience. The Lions have been following him with interest for a couple of years and intend to have him at their upcoming free-agent camp in Atlanta.

“We need to get younger and better in the secondary,” Buono said
Perhaps some foreshadowing of more changes to come??

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
korey&dante4ever wrote: Andrew Harris ‏@andrewharris33
Good riddance!!!!
^ ^ ^
It surprised me that a player would take to social media to express relief that a teammate has been traded. I think it underscores how polarizing Khalif was in the lockerroom.

He's an enormous talent, I am not so sure we're better without him. I do like our talent and depth on the defensive line, but I question the wisdom of acquiring another D-lineman with our O-line concerns.

Still, the key to the deal is a defensive back that management have had their eye on for some time. Interesting comment from Wally in this article by Mike Beamish:
Buono said the negotiation list player the Lions received in the Mitchell trade is not a throw-in but a defensive back with some NFL experience. The Lions have been following him with interest for a couple of years and intend to have him at their upcoming free-agent camp in Atlanta.

“We need to get younger and better in the secondary,” Buono said
Perhaps some foreshadowing of more changes to come??

DH :cool:
Had to be a bad apple, otherwise it would have taken your purchase of his game jersey. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low