2013 NHL thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

AV must look up every win he gets and thank the gods of hockey he got fired when he did.

As much as I like Montreal to keep a Canadian team in the hunt, I can't help but feel happy for AV that he's now winning and close to the Stanley Cup final regardless of how it turns out.

Trotz now gone to Capitals. Interesting where the Canucks will go for a HC.

Lots of challenges faced as Torts might be right at some staleness as he sure didn't leave the team in decent shape. If anything, he left it a lot worse off than imaginable.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heard that Trotz was not interested in the Canucks' head coaching gig despite the fact that he lives in Vernon in the off season.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And that is probably why.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:AV must look up every win he gets and thank the gods of hockey he got fired when he did.

As much as I like Montreal to keep a Canadian team in the hunt, I can't help but feel happy for AV that he's now winning and close to the Stanley Cup final regardless of how it turns out.

Trotz now gone to Capitals. Interesting where the Canucks will go for a HC.

Lots of challenges faced as Torts might be right at some staleness as he sure didn't leave the team in decent shape. If anything, he left it a lot worse off than imaginable.
I was very willing to give Torts a chance. I "enjoyed" is press conference rage in New York. LOL

But it seems he left a scorched earth with the Canucks. Both top level goaltenders traded. OUCH ... Sedins destroyed. Edler destroyed. OUCH ... Burroughs destroyed. ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Torterella has a coaching style. It is a style that didn't work for the Canucks and the type of team that it was/is. I was mildly hopeful that a change of pace might renew the Canucks trend of diminishing returns but after about the half way point, any momentum that might have been enjoyed by the change ran out. I'm pretty sure it was Gillis who badly fumbled the goalie issue. Unable to trade Luongo, he traded Schneider. That trade may yet pay dividends but I still think that they should have gotten a 2nd rounder as well as a first. As for Luongo, might have been better to keep him but it was a bit of a crap shoot either way. After the fiasco with the goalies and trade thing, he wasn't happy so it probably wouldn't have been a great situation to keep him either. Burrows was injured much of the year and never got on track so we'll see how next season goes. Kessler to me is the other major asset that they have right now but I believe he has a no trade clause. Might be time to deal him to get some more youth.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Coaches coach. Making trades is the responsibility of General Manager Mike Gillis. Yes, he badly mishandled Luongo and Schneider
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I certainly didn't expect a shootout in tonight's Montreal / New York game. Must be frustrating for Canadien fans to watch their team blow a 3 goal lead. There may be suspension to the Rangers Dorsett for hitting Dale Weise on a hit similar to the one Brandon Prust's hit on Stefan.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Oh I would think the same 2 games. It was almost an identical hit.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That's the way I see it too
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great game underway between LA and Chicago. Chicago jumped off to a 3-1 lead only to see LA stormed back to take the lead. Now tied at 4-4 in overtime.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Very fast paced 1st overtime. Still tied. Don't think they can keep this pace up.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Black Hawks stave off elimination with a 5-4 win in double overtime. Michael Handzus with the winner.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada's lone team is eliminated from the playoffs dropping a 1-0 decision to the Rangers. Disappointing but it was a great season for the Habs.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

pretty much guarantees the cup comes back west as AV will never HC a cup winning team.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:pretty much guarantees the cup comes back west as AV will never HC a cup winning team.
X2 The Western Conference is far and away the stronger conference.