How would you rate Mark Cohon?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

almo89
Legend

Mark Cohon has been the commissioner of the CFL since 2007 and the league has continued to grow at a steady pace. Grey Cup has been a big deal across Canada now. Tickets are usually sold out early. Overall he's done a lot of good things, but there are still some challenges ahead.

The thing I like most about him is that he seems like an approachable guy and he doesn't mind talking to the fans. He's an exact opposite of Gary Bettman. He always seems to answer the tough questions with a big smile. He's also a pretty stylish guy and always seems to look good on camera with his fancy suits.

How would you guys rate him compared to commissioners of the past?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

:thup:

I don't care about his GQ quotient. But he is personable, talks well, and seems to be well suited to his job.

Very good at stuff like the Grey Cup train. Promoting the game.

I had some reservations when Braley (the real commiissioner) brought him in. I didn't really like to see Tom Wright pushed out. But now it (Cohon) looks like a masterful decision to me.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I give him a B+. Brought stability to the league. Refreshing not to hear about so and so team having financial difficulties
Rodu
Champion

better than Betman
ziggy
Legend

No lockout!
JohnHenry
Champion

Mark Cohon did a tremendous job this season. The multitude of events for the 100th GC season was staggering and they all went off without a hitch. He's brought in drug testing, expansion, stability and has the league going in the right direction. 5 out of 5 stars for Mr. Cohon. :thup:
bc49
Hall of Famer

Best commissioner since Jake Gaudaur. And that is saying something as the last few commissioners prior to Cohon had done a good job.
I give MC an A rating.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Agreed, best since Jake Gaudaur. A huge increase in CFL branded products available and selling well under MC's watch.

I love the fact that during the Fan's Trip with the Lions to Regina, I got to do an impromptu pitch to Mark Cohon of my idea of adding few more train cars and turning the GC Train into a travelling HOF Train. He wasn't overly receptive of the idea based on the logistic nightmare that they were experiencing with the GC Train. But I did get to plant a seed and the idea of parking a HOF Train at Whistler for the winter or the Quebec Winter Carnival or anywhere else, did register I think. :cr:
Big Time
Champion

I've liked him a lot. The league needs someone who is visible, articulate, and seems approachable. To me, he is living the values of the league.

Regarding his performance, he has helped to oversee the most lucrative era in CFL history. It wasn't that long ago that the league was on life support. He's done great work to stabilize franchises, take some steps in both former (Ottawa) and possibly new markets (the maritimes), and seems to have done a good job of managing some of the strong ownership voices (Braley) at the BoG level.

Where there is room for improvement is in ensuring the league owners work within league guidelines. The Argos tampering to get Chris Jones and the subsequent penalties were weak. It still looks incredibly bush league that one owner owns 25% of the teams in the league. That's not an ideal situation.

The standard of officiating could really stand to improve although they have made big steps in trying to improve upon the situation.

The only area where I would say Cohon has really failed has been with the discipline of players for on-field incidents. The fining system and suspension process is an absolute farce. I'm not sure where the problems lie (CBA or league rules) but the league needs to find a way to give the Commissioner some ability to impose punishments with real teeth. Fines max out at $500 and it is exceedingly rare that players get suspended, no matter what the transgression. Khalif tried to rip a guy's arm off and only got a two gamer out of it and the fact that it can be dragged out for weeks through appeal is really embarrassing.

Overall, I'd say Cohon has been an A- and by taking steps to address some of what I said above, he will have earned the most coveted award any commissioner can hope for:
The Big Time A+ Award :beauty:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:better than Betman
Can it get any worse ?
dtrain
Starter

I like MC, high grades across the board, however now that we have a 9th team on the way, i would really like to see him make a real push to get that 10th team: work with the Federal Gov't to help fund a new stadium for whatever city is the best fit. Perhaps Senator Braley could help? This is Canadian culture!
almo89
Legend

dtrain wrote:I like MC, high grades across the board, however now that we have a 9th team on the way, i would really like to see him make a real push to get that 10th team: work with the Federal Gov't to help fund a new stadium for whatever city is the best fit. Perhaps Senator Braley could help? This is Canadian culture!
I think a 10th team is definitely in the plans, but not anytime soon. I've heard him throw the timeline of 5-10 years down the road and he wants to see Ottawa succeed first before even thinking about expansion for a 10th team
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Horrible taste in suits.

Otherwise, he's a keeper. In an era full of idiots running sports leagues, it's nice to have a steady, logical hand that emphasizes the league's place in the Canadian marketplace and leverages it effectively.
dtrain
Starter

almo89 wrote:
dtrain wrote:I like MC, high grades across the board, however now that we have a 9th team on the way, i would really like to see him make a real push to get that 10th team: work with the Federal Gov't to help fund a new stadium for whatever city is the best fit. Perhaps Senator Braley could help? This is Canadian culture!
I think a 10th team is definitely in the plans, but not anytime soon. I've heard him throw the timeline of 5-10 years down the road and he wants to see Ottawa succeed first before even thinking about expansion for a 10th team
Would be nice to see that timeline move from 5-10 years to about 2-6 years.
Can he not get the ball rolling while also working on Ottawa?
CFL momentum at an all-time high after 100th Grey Cup, need to take advantage of that.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We can't rush growth. You go too early, and it fails.

They don't have stadiums (Maritimes, Quebec City?). They don't have clamoring fan support.

We want symmetry: five teams East and West, but we can't force it.

The league is strong right now. It will grow. But it will take its own sweet time.

Eight is OK. Hamilton needs to solidify. Toronto needs to consolidate its present status with fan support, and let some that NFL envy die.

I think Ottawa has a real good chance to do it right. No more Glieberman stupid promotions.