Wally's toughest decision: Geroy Simon - Lowell Ullrich

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

GM Wally Buono staring down a hard decision on aging icon Geroy Simon

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province November 26, 2012 1:03 PM

TORONTO — There was a chronic need for headache remedies here the morning after a rare home Grey Cup win for the Toronto Argonauts, in a place where one of David Braley’s two general managers had left town with a migraine of his own.

The B.C. Lions’ GM Wally Buono sure sounded like someone facing a dilemma in the days ahead, regarding Geroy Simon — the only remaining receiver with a longer service record than Buono has with the CFL team.

It’ll be a while before a decision will be rendered regarding the future of the 37-year-old slotback, since head coach Mike Benevides has yet to deliver any personnel recommendations for next season, and may not get serious about them until after Christmas.

But after a year in which the Lions saw development from three younger receivers — Nick Moore, Courtney Taylor and Ernest Jackson — the club has to decide whether to accelerate their growth by removing the experienced leaders in their way.

The most difficult decision would be regarding Simon, a model player through the lean years and throughout his 12-year stay with the club. Buono said he is aware of suggestions that Simon might agree to a restructured contract, but rather than ask veterans to take a pay cut in the past Buono has simply released them.

A similar headache appears possible regarding Simon, who said during training camp that he wanted to play at least two more years, and whose contribution off the field has been every bit as exemplary as between the lines.

“What’s Geroy’s role [in the future]: as a No. 1 or No. 5 receiver?” Buono said. “You must contemplate the worst-case scenario.

“See how hard this is? There is no right thing.”

Simon had a string of nine straight seasons where he gained in excess of 1,000 receiving yards broken this year, despite becoming the CFL career yardage leader. It leaves the Lions to determine whether Simon’s downturn in production was simply brought about by two hamstring injuries during the second half of the season.

Without Simon, however, the Lions were 5-0 this season, as Moore and others who worked in place of Simon and injured 35-year-old Arland Bruce gave the offence a different look.

There’s been a place on the roster in the past for a veteran player working as a mentor, but Buono said that only works for the Lions with non-imports. It has the effect of creating a possible all-or-nothing scenario for a future Hall of Fame receiver.

As was the case with a veteran group of defensive backs, the Lions kept several players this season who may or may not be needed once Benevides gathers recommendations from his position assistants. It’s a list that includes Bruce, whose receiving numbers dropped by more than half of his 2010 totals in Hamilton, defensive tackle Khalif Mitchell and cornerback Byron Parker.

“We gave the veteran players every opportunity to win another championship. That didn’t occur,” said Buono. “We kept the young players around to grow. That occurred.

“I think there’s less trepidation than last year. I’m going to be interested in what I’m being told.”

No conversation may be more interesting than the one regarding Simon, who may discover — as Dave Dickenson, Jason Clermont and others over the years before him discovered — how it goes even for the best to ever play for the Lions.
Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wally ... z2DMxfEJM9
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It’ll be a while before a decision will be rendered regarding the future of the 37-year-old slotback, since head coach Mike Benevides has yet to deliver any personnel recommendations for next season, and may not get serious about them until after Christmas.
But after a year in which the Lions saw development from three younger receivers — Nick Moore, Courtney Taylor and Ernest Jackson — the club has to decide whether to accelerate their growth by removing the experienced leaders in their way.

The most difficult decision would be regarding Simon, a model player through the lean years and throughout his 12-year stay with the club. Buono said he is aware of suggestions that Simon might agree to a restructured contract, but rather than ask veterans to take a pay cut in the past Buono has simply released them.
“What’s Geroy’s role [in the future]: as a No. 1 or No. 5 receiver?” Buono said. “You must contemplate the worst-case scenario.

“See how hard this is? There is no right thing.”
There’s been a place on the roster in the past for a veteran player working as a mentor, but Buono said that only works for the Lions with non-imports. It has the effect of creating a possible all-or-nothing scenario for a future Hall of Fame receiver.
As was the case with a veteran group of defensive backs, the Lions kept several players this season who may or may not be needed once Benevides gathers recommendations from his position assistants. It’s a list that includes Bruce, whose receiving numbers dropped by more than half of his 2010 totals in Hamilton, defensive tackle Khalif Mitchell and cornerback Byron Parker.
“We gave the veteran players every opportunity to win another championship. That didn’t occur,” said Buono. “We kept the young players around to grow. That occurred.

“I think there’s less trepidation than last year. I’m going to be interested in what I’m being told.”

Time does not stop. Age waits for no one.

What makes it somewhat tougher is Geroy's assertion that he wants to play at least two more years.

Is there a chance that Geroy's lesser production this year was just because of injury? Dunno, but he certainly seemed to lack the speed to get separation or go deep this year. Also didn't draw the double coverage he has in previous years.

If Wally cuts Geroy, along with some other certain cuts, there will be some fan unhappiness. Would another team pick up the Hall of Fame receiver if released? Dunno about that. There are loads of dangerous receivers around the league. Younger and less expensive.

Could Wally decide to keep Geroy? I think I see some hints in his comments to Ullrich on which way he is going with this very tough decision.

This is one of the sad parts of pro sports. Seeing the time when careers come near or to the end.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Reassuring that Buono is addressing the problem head on instead of burying his head in the sand and pretend the problem doesn't exist.
swervynmerv
Legend

Much agreed WCJ, time is a cruel thing and in football, age seems to come with a vengance.

If I am Wally I offer to re-negotiate Geroy's contract for next year with bonuses based on games played/yards etc. and then offer him a coaching job for the next season. If he takes it, I keep him. If he doesn't then a tough decision has to be made.

I see Geroy coming off the bench and maybe starting some games if injuries occur. But as a full time starter, I just think the time has come to get younger. Hamstring injuries are a sure sign of Geroy trying to explode when he doesnt have that speed anymore. His workout regime is famous so it is not a conditioning issue, rather, I believe he has been able to play this long because of it.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Doesn't seem like as tough a decision as being made out. It will come down to what role Simon is needed for and whether he accepts that role at a given salary. Potentially that could be anything from a full time starter, to a rotational starter to an insurance guy on the 46 man roster.

He'll need to be paid accordingly to whatever that role might be, not for the role and success he had before.

It could go either way. He can still contibute but issues abound on limited size CFL rosters.
DYLAN
Rookie

the lions do not need to release Geroy Simon. I dont believe they need to release Arland Bruce either... If you look at our losses this year, a lot of the blame has to be put on Lulay and chapdelaine... No Geroy is not the receiver he was 3 or 4 years ago, but there were times this season, especially in the western final, where geroy was open down field and lulay was unable to find him or throw an accurate deep ball.

Im not sure what his reads are but in games where Lulay struggles, its because he locks into one receivers and telegraphs his throws. I was sitting in the nose bleeds at the WF and simon was constantly open on one play which looked to be a wheel route where he was one on one with a DB down field... Lulay never looked his way but when he finally did geroy was wide open but he lofted the ball giving the safety a chance to break up the pass, which he did. I saw this many times this season.

I do not believe that Simon or Bruce were two slow and hampered our offence this year. We failed to give them opportunities.

Chap ball is done. IMO we will not see close to the same success we had at the end of 2011, and parts of 2012. Defences are too good and have caught on to lulays and chaps tendencies. We need a new look for next year, and i personally would love to see what another offensive coordinator could do with our talent. I think a lot of people are too quick to blame Simons and Bruce's disappointing season on their age rather than actually looking at our offence as a whole. These guys were open, and im not just talking about WF.

Lulay has to be examined too. No, im not saying cut him in the off season but I honestly cant see Lulay having a lot of success with chap ball anymore. Teams are figuring him out. He has a very long and borderline slow release and needs to throw the ball before the receivers make their breaks (something he struggled with this year). His deep ball is average. its not extremely accurate, it hangs up and flutters at times and often results in receivers breaking stride. He is however very athletic yet we have have virtually no plays that take advantage of this. I know i sound very critical of lulay. I do believe he is one of the best qbs in the league but the offensive scheme hes playing in right now expoits his weaknesses and dont highlight talents as much as it could. Watching the Grey Cup last night, I honestly think we would have got crushed by TO as well.
JohnHenry
Champion

DYLAN wrote:the lions do not need to release Geroy Simon. I dont believe they need to release Arland Bruce either... If you look at our losses this year, a lot of the blame has to be put on Lulay and chapdelaine... No Geroy is not the receiver he was 3 or 4 years ago, but there were times this season, especially in the western final, where geroy was open down field and lulay was unable to find him or throw an accurate deep ball.

I do not believe that Simon or Bruce were two slow and hampered our offence this year. We failed to give them opportunities.
Good post DYLAN! Geroy and Arland are still two of the best receivers in the CFL. The Lions would be crazy to let either player go. Experienced, reliable recievers don't grow on trees and these players are the least of the Lions problems.
DYLAN wrote:Im not sure what his reads are but in games where Lulay struggles, its because he locks into one receivers and telegraphs his throws. I was sitting in the nose bleeds at the WF and simon was constantly open on one play which looked to be a wheel route where he was one on one with a DB down field... Lulay never looked his way but when he finally did geroy was wide open but he lofted the ball giving the safety a chance to break up the pass, which he did. I saw this many times this season.

Lulay has to be examined too. No, im not saying cut him in the off season but I honestly cant see Lulay having a lot of success with chap ball anymore. Teams are figuring him out. He has a very long and borderline slow release and needs to throw the ball before the receivers make their breaks (something he struggled with this year). His deep ball is average. its not extremely accurate, it hangs up and flutters at times and often results in receivers breaking stride. He is however very athletic yet we have have virtually no plays that take advantage of this. I know i sound very critical of lulay. I do believe he is one of the best qbs in the league but the offensive scheme hes playing in right now expoits his weaknesses and dont highlight talents as much as it could. Watching the Grey Cup last night, I honestly think we would have got crushed by TO as well.
Lulay was very good up until his shoulder injury. He also had the flu during the WF. He does sometimes throw high passes, which exposes his receivers to getting plastered when they jump up in traffic. I think Travis is a much more accurate passer when he plants his feet rather than throwing on the run.

We do have a QB with a stronger arm and higher QB rating currently on the roster. The Lions will have to decide which course of action to take, before Reilly is signed by another team.
DYLAN wrote:Chap ball is done. IMO we will not see close to the same success we had at the end of 2011, and parts of 2012. Defences are too good and have caught on to lulays and chaps tendencies. We need a new look for next year, and i personally would love to see what another offensive coordinator could do with our talent. I think a lot of people are too quick to blame Simons and Bruce's disappointing season on their age rather than actually looking at our offence as a whole. These guys were open, and im not just talking about WF.
In this we agree. The Lions offensive game-plans range from "awful" to "barely-passable" from game to game. Why can't we have a proper running game? Why don't we attack the weaknesses of the other teams? Why don't we stick with the players and plays that are working? Why can't we protect the QB? And so on...
Blitz
Team Captain

It's an easy decision from a simple playing perspective. Geroy is no longer a go to primary receiver. He is still a decent possession receiver but speed in the slot is very important. Geroy's salary only compounds the issue. He is an expensive player.

The bigger issue is Geroy's past successful career as a B.C. Lion, his contributions to the community, and his role as a vet leader. If Geroy would recognize his age and go out on top that would make it easy. But he does not see that he is past his prime. Nor does he want to go out on top. He wants to keep playing, to keep breaking records, and to keep being paid his high salary. He really believes, as he has stated, that the reason the ball is not being thrown to him is due to the offensive structure rather than he is not the same threat that he used to be.

It could be a sad scenario because Simon could end his career bitter rather than it being a celebration of such a great career as a B.C. Lion if we don't choose to have him back. Many of the great ones find it the most difficult to know when to retire. They have loved the limelight and they have also loved the game..its a major reason why they achieved to their very high level of performance.

This is not an easy thing for Wally and Benevedes and Chap but it really is time for the transition from Simon and Bruce to Moore and Taylor.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Well we know from Wally's own words he does not like to restructure player contracts downwards and that thinking is normally correct in a team. If you have to do that you are usually best to part ways with the person as having them around doing great in the game but now at a reduced rate is not a key ingredient for a happy group if that player is unhappy. With some it can be done like a QB who agrees to a restructure to get better protection up front but that is from a very top salary - not just a good one.

We just need to think of how we'd react if the employer asked us to do the same job at lower wages as they need the $$$ to pay others better but the guy then offers you all kinds of incentives. The incentives can lead to the wrong behaviour too as the player now just wants to max. their contract and doesn't care about the results - just give me the ball - the start. Not a good deal and Wally knows that.

We fans can be the harshest critics and none of us work in that kind of situation where you are a hero - then a bum.

Geroy has had few missed games in a lot of years and is a fan favourite. I hope this can play out well for him as deserves first class treatment.

I thought the handling of Charles Roberts by the Bombers was disgusting but then again you had to look at the coach. That was a player who should never have been traded given what he did for that team and that city. The irony of the Roberts to BC trade is that it ended two careers with Joe Smith tanking and Roberts hurt.

The SMS and the size of the game in the CFL is a lot of the issue in the CFL. They have to grow this game!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
pdxlion
Rookie

Pretty tough bunch of critics we all are. We were 5-0 w/o Geroy and Arland out. The young guys just have more burst and explosiveness. Treat the old guys well and try to convince them that father time has caught up with them. Lulay's better than what many on here say - most gm's in the league would take him over their guy. We had more wins than anyone this year. We'll be fine next year and make another run at it no matter what.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

To anyone who thinks that this is a tough decision, this quote says it all...
Without Simon, however, the Lions were 5-0 this season, as Moore and others who worked in place of Simon and injured 35-year-old Arland Bruce gave the offence a different look.
That means that both Lulay and Chaps KNOW what they are doing and can execute even when it is with first year players...0-5 WITH Simon and Bruce says that we are NOT the same team when they both start together, and that the opposition clearly knows this...it is really that simple...

As Blitz has said repeatedly, speed in the slot kills...just look at Chad Owens in Toronto...and when Calgary did everything defensively to take him away, it opened up a plethora of deadly options for Ray and Argos...that's what speed does for you...

I was one, who went on record prior to the WF, that said Courtney Taylor, Nick Moore and Ernest Jackson simply can't come out of the lineup, and if they do, the Lions are flirting with disaster...and that's not because I am some genius, far from it...it was simply clear to see for anyone who was looking...when these 3 were in our lineup, Lulay was simply a MUCH BETTER QB...why??? Its time we all asked ourselves that question...

The Bruce/Simon question isn't really that tough...Geroy's legendary status with the Lions is...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Well we know from Wally's own words he does not like to restructure player contracts downwards and that thinking is normally correct in a team. If you have to do that you are usually best to part ways with the person as having them around doing great in the game but now at a reduced rate is not a key ingredient for a happy group if that player is unhappy. With some it can be done like a QB who agrees to a restructure to get better protection up front but that is from a very top salary - not just a good one.

We just need to think of how we'd react if the employer asked us to do the same job at lower wages as they need the $$$ to pay others better but the guy then offers you all kinds of incentives. The incentives can lead to the wrong behaviour too as the player now just wants to max. their contract and doesn't care about the results - just give me the ball - the start. Not a good deal and Wally knows that.

We fans can be the harshest critics and none of us work in that kind of situation where you are a hero - then a bum.

Geroy has had few missed games in a lot of years and is a fan favourite. I hope this can play out well for him as deserves first class treatment.

I thought the handling of Charles Roberts by the Bombers was disgusting but then again you had to look at the coach. That was a player who should never have been traded given what he did for that team and that city. The irony of the Roberts to BC trade is that it ended two careers with Joe Smith tanking and Roberts hurt.

The SMS and the size of the game in the CFL is a lot of the issue in the CFL. They have to grow this game!
You're disgusted in how the Bombers traded Roberts? At the time he was not playing well and was an expensive contract.

It's a typical thing that happens to older players. They get traded, cut or allowed to play out their contracts.

Do you think Paris Jackson liked his role the last two years in BC. He was essentially reduced to a role player due to declining skills.

Will it be anymore disgusting for the Lions to cut any of the veterans being discussed including Simon? Or would you prefer they only trade them?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Well we know from Wally's own words he does not like to restructure player contracts downwards and that thinking is normally correct in a team. If you have to do that you are usually best to part ways with the person as having them around doing great in the game but now at a reduced rate is not a key ingredient for a happy group if that player is unhappy. With some it can be done like a QB who agrees to a restructure to get better protection up front but that is from a very top salary - not just a good one.

You're disgusted in how the Bombers traded Roberts? At the time he was not playing well and was an expensive contract.

It's a typical thing that happens to older players. They get traded, cut or allowed to play out their contracts.

Do you think Paris Jackson liked his role the last two years in BC. He was essentially reduced to a role player due to declining skills.

Will it be anymore disgusting for the Lions to cut any of the veterans being discussed including Simon? Or would you prefer they only trade them?
Absolutely I found it disgusting that Roberts was ousted as he was. Of all players who should have retired as a Bomber he is one.

Cutting has to be done. No problem. How they do is hopefully better done by teams than how Roberts got traded from the Bombers.

Roberts was not the only issue in the Bombers but I would have thought that they'd wait to the season end or quietly get him aside and go over the options.

You are right about the high contracts. The state of the game and the SMS is a major issue but peanuts compared to the NHL money and that is what makes it so tragic. A lot of times it is just about dumping salary leaving fans to say - what happened here?!!! These cuts quite frankly might improve your football team but they don't improve and grow the CFL. Aren't they building just a 23000 seat Hamilton venue? That is not a fantastic sign. Yet the CFL outdo hockey on TV but hardly have the number of games for revenues. Agreed though that you do need to turn over the roster to ensure it doesn't all get old at once.

I think Paris was hurt and they said so. I think too they just plain decided to not play him but keep him as he can play so many other roles. Even Buono has admitted at times that maybe Jackson could play. Lyle Green was always very under used for his skill.

Fans can be tough but if it was their business doing the cuts to them they'd not like it or think it was done well or even fairly.

Fan identification with players grows the game. Some players like Simon are great ambassadors and fan favourites who help keep fans coming.
Revolving doors of players you can't remember limits the growth of the game and the fan base.

Paul Bennett former Argo, Bomber and Ticat - HOF DB. His dad was an Argo season ticket holder and long after Paul went off to Wpg. His dad was quoted in a paper about how bad the CFL had become with revolving door players and no one could any longer identify with their team. It has gotten better but the dark days in the CFL are not many thousand lost fans away from recurring again.

I am old enough to remember when the Lions were the talk of the town in BC and not the Canucks who were then a WHL team. Those days might never come back but the player identity with the communities they want to attract are essential for the health of the game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:The bigger issue is Geroy's past successful career as a B.C. Lion, his contributions to the community, and his role as a vet leader. If Geroy would recognize his age and go out on top that would make it easy. But he does not see that he is past his prime. Nor does he want to go out on top. He wants to keep playing, to keep breaking records, and to keep being paid his high salary. He really believes, as he has stated, that the reason the ball is not being thrown to him is due to the offensive structure rather than he is not the same threat that he used to be.
Geroy was one of the Players' Council that lobbied Buono for the return of Chapdelaine to be the Offensive Coordinator. Careful what you wish for.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I would have liked Roberts to retire as a Bomber. Having said that I had no problem with how or why he was traded. At the time the Bombers running game was done and a change needed to be made. Not everything was Roberts' fault. You can't always wait to the end of the season to make changes.

Once you're past the veteran guaranteed salary date, that is an issue for example. Some players such as Barrin Simpson refused to go on the 9 game IR preventing the Bombers from releasing him quietly as another example.

It's not always cut and dry when player transactions are made, especially veterans.

Simon might fall into this category where he wants to play but the Lions may be forced to cut him. In a purrfect world a veteran player decides to retire on his own and doesn't need to be pushed.

It's not that Simon couldn't play but the issues of age, SMS and younger players is mentioned in this string. Who is more productive and at what point do 2nd or 3rd year players take primary roles?