Which opponent would you rather us face and why?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which opponent would you prefer to see the Lions play in the Western Final?

Calgary
44%
Saskatchewan
56%

Total votes: 27
David
Team Captain

Western Final for all the marbles.

Calgary? The best team in the league next to our Lions, the always exciting Cornish vs. Harris match-up, payback time for the blowout in Week 17.

OR

Saskatchewan? Somewhat of a Western Final "tradition" at B.C. Place, a team that has played us extremely tough all year, can also bring a lot of fans with them to the game (some may argue that's not a good thing).

Whom would you rather see us play?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

I am opting for A) Calgary.

I think the Riders may sell more tickets, but I want to see us play the best and I view Calgary as just that. They're the hottest team in the league right now.

And while "Rider green" has a much smaller presence at BC Place than at either McMahon or Commonwealth, it would be nice to see a true "sea of orange." Even though Calgary is (inexplicably) a weak draw, I believe this game is going to sell well regardless of the opponent due to the NHL lockout.

Calgary it is!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Bosco
Team Captain

All in all, I would rather see the Lions beat the Riders on Nov 18. The Riders are playing inconsistent football (at best) and would provide an easier path to the Grey Cup than the hot , and more rounded Stamps.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Both sound like good games to me (Cal/BC or Sask/BC).

I voted Riders for reasons not really connected to the Lions. I think it will be a busier game with lots of fans from both teams. Lots of Riderfans were saying 'so what we are sitting out our starters' last night (which was true). I also like the fact a lot of the West Finals I have been to were against the Riders (couple against the Esks, too!).

I would be happy to see a Stamps/Lions final too, though.

Next week I'm going to enjoy the Riders ride the Stamps or the Stamps stomp the Riders :popcorn: The Lions get to feast on whoever survives until the 18th......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Interestingly, the Lions have never beaten the Stamps in a playoff game at BC Place — mostly because this matchup has been such a rarity: the only time it's ever happened was the 1999 WF, which ended with Steve Anderson's recovery of a Damon Allen fumble. In fact, previous to 1999, the only other time Cgy made a postseason trip to Vancouver to face the Lions was in 1964 for the final two games of what was then a best-of-three WF. BC prevailed two games to one, splitting the two games here, en route to their first Grey Cup championship.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Upper Bowl
Starter

sj-roc wrote:Interestingly, the Lions have never beaten the Stamps in a playoff game at BC Place — mostly because this matchup has been such a rarity: the only time it's ever happened was the 1999 WF, which ended with Steve Anderson's recovery of a Damon Allen fumble. In fact, previous to 1999, the only other time Cgy made a postseason trip to Vancouver to face the Lions was in 1964 for the final two games of what was then a best-of-three WF. BC prevailed two games to one, splitting the two games here, en route to their first Grey Cup championship.

Very interesting stat. And B.C. hasn’t beat Calgary in a playoff game of any kind since 2000. That’s a pretty long time in the CFL, especially considering the Lions success of late. It would be nice to add some variety to our route to the Cup.

On the other hand, I’d love to see 50,000 in the stands on the 18th, and the only real chance of that happening is if we play the Riders.

But the Stampeders need humbling, especially Cornish. So bring them on for the 18th.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

With all due respect David, the hottest team in the league is the BC Lions...we have won 25 of our last 31 games...NO OTHER TEAM is even close to that record.

With Calgary, take 3 last second wins against EDM away and their record would be 9-9...

I didn't vote because for me it doesn't matter who we play...the Lions are a team apart from the rest of the league...all the Lions ever have to do is play their game to their abilities and it doesn't matter what the opposition does...

We have lost only 1 game at the new stadium, and that game we hand delivered to the Eskies...we have 2 weeks to get healthy and deal with our OLine issue...so again, it doesn't matter who we play, as long as we show up ourselves...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Put me down as "could care less". Both teams pose different problems for the Lions. I just hope they get to play in cold weather in Calgary, bang each other up for 60 minutes and perhaps overtime. :yes:
David
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:With all due respect David, the hottest team in the league is the BC Lions...we have won 25 of our last 31 games...NO OTHER TEAM is even close to that record.
I think you may be taking the Stamps a little too lightly MLF. I didn't say Calgary was the best team over the last 31 games. Clearly, that's the BC Lions. But after losing to us on October 6 at BC Place (27-22), they vanquished 4 teams down the stretch, including our Lions - making them the hottest. Sure, they got lucky at home against Hamilton (a game the Tabbies should have won but for a botched snap) and against Edmonton (last second field goal), but they're averaging 34 points in those 4 games and now have a pretty good 1-2 punch at quarterback too, with Glenn and Tate, and returner Larry Taylor is back, who's been a real thorn in our side.

The last game in Calgary p*ssed me off. Would the results have been different with a healthy Travis Lulay? Probably. But I just want a chance for revenge and watch the two best teams in the league square off to decide who gets to represent the West at Grey Cup. Oh, and I want our front 4 to wipe that self-satisfied smirk off Jon Cornish as well. :rockin:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:With Calgary, take 3 last second wins against EDM away and their record would be 9-9...
Don't forget the snow game v Ham that they also could have easily lost at the last second if Fantuz had gotten that ball pinned. Ssk could have been playing for a win last night to send them to Tor.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Games against Saskatchewan are always more fun for spectators and usually create a more intense atmosphere in the stands, which the players feed off.

The Lions haven't hosted a playoff game against Calgary since 1999, when B.C. was the top team in the league at 13-5 and Calgary was right behind at 12-6. Sound familiar? I don't want history to repeat itself.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Upper Bowl wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Interestingly, the Lions have never beaten the Stamps in a playoff game at BC Place — mostly because this matchup has been such a rarity: the only time it's ever happened was the 1999 WF, which ended with Steve Anderson's recovery of a Damon Allen fumble. In fact, previous to 1999, the only other time Cgy made a postseason trip to Vancouver to face the Lions was in 1964 for the final two games of what was then a best-of-three WF. BC prevailed two games to one, splitting the two games here, en route to their first Grey Cup championship.

Very interesting stat. And B.C. hasn’t beat Calgary in a playoff game of any kind since 2000.
And as I stated before, I consider that 2000 playoff game as one of the most underrated and underappreciated Lions playoff wins. Yeah, since then the Lions have lost a pair of playoff games against Calgary (2001 WDSF, 2008 WDF) both at McMahon and it's time for the Lions to avenge those losses. There have been a lot more playoff games against Saskatchewan with the Lions going 1-2 in the last three playoff games with a win in the 2008 WDSF and losses in the 2007 WDF and 2010 WDSF. So there's vengeance against both teams, but I'd say because of lack of a home playoff win against Calgary since 1964, it's good to see the Lions defeat Calgary at a home playoff game the same way they finally defeated the Eskimos in a home playoff game last year.
Last edited by Robbie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Calgary is better coached, and has been much more consistent all season. Saskatchewan is hot and cold (lately mostly cold) but in Riderville 8-10 with a win in WDSF considered a highly successful season.

If the Riders advance, they will come to BC believing the hype from their fans and green media. They will be ready for a comeuppance at the hands of the Lions.

If Calgary advances, I expect them to be much more focused and business like. Plus Cornish will be hugely motivated to show that he is the league's best back, Canadian, and MOP.

I would rather face the Riders.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

anyone picking an opponant you think will be easier for the lions to be. shame on you. shame on you for not having the faith in the lions to beat the better opponant. To be the best, you have to beat the best.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Big Time
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:anyone picking an opponant you think will be easier for the lions to be. shame on you. shame on you for not having the faith in the lions to beat the better opponant. To be the best, you have to beat the best.
Agree 100%. The challenge is for the other team to beat the Lions. I don't care who they face.