Skulsky to co-host with Sekeres on 1040, Tues 12/07/24

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

As part of 1040's presidents week, Lions' president Dennis Skulsky will be co-hosting with Sekeres from 11am-1pm tomorrow. Canucks GM Mike Gillis was on today in the first instalment and even though 1040 normally doesn't allow callers during guest segments, they seem to be making an exception this week — Gillis took some calls as co-host; presumably that will also be the case for Skulsky: a good opportunity for Lionbackers who can fit it into their schedule.

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/presidents ... -team1040/
It’s a busy and exciting week on TEAM1040, as the Presidents from each of the local sports teams will join Matt Sekeres as co-hosts all five days of the week.

It all gets underway today, as Mike Gillis joins Sekeres from 11:00 – 1:00. There’s plenty to talk about with Gillis, including the Roberto Luongo situation, Ryan Kesler’s injury rehab, the Canucks possible pursuit of remaining free-agents, along with a detailed look into the day-to-day details that Gillis’ job requires.

Tuesday, Matt will be joined by Lions President Dennis Skulsky.

Wednesday, Bobby Lenarduzzi of the Whitecaps joins Sekeres.

Thursday, you’ll hear from Canadians’ President Andy Dunn.

Friday, we’ll round out the week with a visit from Ron Toigo of the Vancouver Giants.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MikeAK
All Star

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I am interested to hear what he has to say about the empty stadium and what, if any, ideas they may have moving forward and into next season to remedy it.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure if I'll have time to listen to the whole thing tomorrow but I hope they spend most of it talking Lions issues. I caught bits and pieces of Gillis today; he & Sekeres were discussing golf at one point, so I think we can expect some non-Lions content tomorrow as if Skulsky were a regular 1040 host.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Tighthead
Legend

The Lions have to be very disappointed with their attendance. I think Ackles deft touch is missed - he helped create some buzz around the team.
David
Team Captain

Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres BC Lions president Dennis Skulsky is my co-host from 11-1 today. Send me your questions for Dennis. He'll take calls in the 12 o'clock hour.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Agreed. It's amazing and discouraging the Lions can be that out of touch with the typical Lower Mainland middle class family that is challenged with the cost to do anything everywhere.
My question was asked about the price being the same for 5 rows from the field to the top row of the upper deck. He thinks it's equal value because it's a better view of the replay scoreboard. Unreal.

Well, if it's all about the video replay screen then fans might as well stay at home and watch it on their HD TVs and save the $93 it costs for those seats.
MikeAK
All Star

I don't usually use the word but I hated listening so much I turned it off. I 100% agree with what jcalhoun said. The problem is clearly at the top. Add me to the "God I miss Bobby" list as well. When he passed on so did I part of the Leos. I wish i had never tuned into the TEAM1040 today.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Payroll deductions are a bad concept. I think ticket prices are higher than they should be but if people can't afford them, using a payroll deduction doesn't sound in their best interests.

There is an administrative cost to a company to do that and there is no benefit gained by them.
Bosco
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:

Which begs the questions, 1). have neither of them ever read any of the threads on this board, and 2). have neither of them read Bobby Ackles' book?

And what does that tell you about both the sports media and the current president of our club, when they don't pay any attention to either what the most passionate Lions' fans are saying, or what the most important man in the history of the franchise had to say?
I think Question Number 1 is an interesting question that SHOULD be asked (and hopefully) addressed by the Skulsky's / Chayka's and anyone else in the Lions "marketing" world. Surely there has to be some ideas / suggestions that make sense and are doable, but yes...does anyone listen? Or, is it only a viable idea if THEY suggest one? :2cents:
ziggy
Legend

Is it an attendance problem or a stadium too big problem? Last year only Edmonton and Calgary broke the 30K average and Calgary was just over. B.C. and Sask were in the high 29K range followed by the rest of the league. Seems to me given most of the new stadiums are being designed to seat around 30K maybe that's the magic number we should be expecting? Maybe 60K stadiums are just too big? Other than playoffs is it reasonable to expect them to be filled?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Missed the show on 1040. from the feedback of the posters it appears that the management of the Lions have missed the boat on this one
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:Payroll deductions are a bad concept. I think ticket prices are higher than they should be but if people can't afford them, using a payroll deduction doesn't sound in their best interests.

There is an administrative cost to a company to do that and there is no benefit gained by them.
True there is a cost especially if it is a small company and they don't have the accounting. Many larger corporations do this with employee United Way deductions (or used to).

If done it would be a benefit to the employees and good will with your staff is a good thing.

BUT I fully agree that it might not be realistic for some small entities or companies struggling just to keep in business.

But it might be of appeal in future to major employers.

They need to realize that their fan base is not all corporate folks. They need to get some research done here so they know where their fans come from.

While I can afford the ticket prices even I have a figure in mind that would stop me from paying for a ticket vs. being at home and able to watch on TV especially when I can see so many empty seats available vs the hockey arena which is a lot smaller.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

I was disappointed in some of the answers to.

If you want cheaper prices on tickets get seaons, well what if one can't commit to seasons.
Bighill is Badass
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I missed the show but just listened to the podcasts, so thanks for posting sj-roc. Learned a little, I guess.....

According to Skulsky 62% of the Lions revenue still comes from the BC Lions fans who go to the stadium. This was part of the justification he used for the so-called blackouts the Lions are planning to use at least 4 more times this season. I say 'so-called' blackouts because of the couple people who bug me for being stupid enough to pay for tickets even though they watch them on their HI-def tvs. Now the topic of hi-def did come up but Skulsky was just saying Hi-def is great but it just doesn't compare to actually being in the stadium (citing the late Paul McCallum field goal to beat the Stamps as evidence).

I hear where he's coming from, I'm glad I got to watch that in the stadium. Skulsky claims blackouts raise the walk-up 2000-3000 people. I wonder what those figures would be if Hi-def is blacked out too! I don't consider myself stupid for buying tickets when I could watch at home for free. I compare it to watching a DVD (oops, I mean blue-ray) of a band or going to the same bands concert when they are in town. You go to the concert because its an event.

Those that want to go to the stadium and those that want to watch at home both know they are right. And IMO, both are right. I just happen to get more out of being at a home game. I don't have the time/money or body armour needed to go to all the road games or I might take the road games in too......