Who Will Be the New OC?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Here is the latest from LU...

A top candidate to replace Chap-delaine would be Marcel Belle-feuille, who has a year left on a head coaching contract, which was terminated Nov. 30 by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats but is reportedly looking at NFL options. Others with experience at the position who are or could be available in the new future include Jamie Barresi, Doug Berry and Khari Jones.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Chapd ... z1gd3l6eYc

That list is filled with exciting, recognizable names...but none of them is the right choice for the Lions...for the sake of this young, and still gelling offence, in particular Lulay, find a way to promote from within and keep the same basic system that Chapdelaine leaves with...I am not a fan of Dorazio for this position, so then who??? Travis Moore as Blitz suggests? Perhaps...he has the smarts and the dynamic mind to make a good OC, but is young as a coach and still relatively new to this system...who else? Who knows...but going outside of the organization will invite as many problems as it solves...therefore, I hope we stay within...

The one time you want Chapdelaine to stay, finally, and he leaves...go figure...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jarius Jackson ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Jarius Jackson ?
:thup: Although QB coach might be a better place to start.

Bring back Steff Kruck? LOL Not going to happen, although I would like it. Maybe Mike B has fond memories of Steff. That would be cool.

Danny McManus? Available?

I think Matt Dunigan is comfy in the booth. Travis Moore? Also too green, methinks.

Bellefeuille? Nah. Doug Berry? Nah.

More money for Jacques? Yeah. That's the ticket. LOL Plus Associate Head Coach status. Yeah.

Haven't thought too much about other candidates. I would not be surprised if Wally has some guys in mind.

Dan Dorazio? Dunno. Hard to say, since last time Kruck called the plays.

Yuh know, Jarious just might be able to handle it from the get go. He has been around football all his life. Has always conducted himself like a coach. I would be willing to give him a chance, if there is not a clearly better qualified, safer pick available. Plus Dorazio is right there to assist or co-coordinate again.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'd like to see Jarious Jackson transition to quarterbacks coach. The Lions have to get him off the roster to create room for Corey Leonard, who they carried on the injured list all season, but Jarious can play a valuable role mentoring Travis Lulay, Mike Reilly and Leonard. OC, I think, would be a stretch.

Mike Benevides will have his hands full overseeing the entire team and perhaps retaining defensive signal-calling responsibilities. He will need an experienced offensive coordinator that he can trust to look after that side of the ball. Marcel Bellefeuille and Benevides are both 45 and both come from Ontario, although I don't think they've ever worked together. I don't know if Bellefeuille would take the job if offered but his offensive experience would allow Benevides to make a smooth transition from defensive coordinator to head coach. He's probably the best-qualified and most attractive candidate out there if Chapdelaine leaves.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Coordinators on one side of the ball who are promoted to Head Coach tend to want an experienced hand on the other side of the ball to deal with and own it.

Just a guess, but a veteran from outside of the organization.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

cromartie wrote:Coordinators on one side of the ball who are promoted to Head Coach tend to want an experienced hand on the other side of the ball to deal with and own it.

Just a guess, but a veteran from outside of the organization.

That's true...but I hope they see the power of continuity...the last thing Lulay, Harris, Foster and Gore need is a new system to learn.

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Sounding like it could very well be the old one. The fact he didn't come to terms with Bishops and is coming back to talk to Benevides and Wally would suggest that.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sounds like he's playing one against the other to get a better deal.
ziggy
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Sounds like he's playing one against the other to get a better deal.
Maybe Ricky Foley is his agent?
Rammer
Team Captain

ziggy wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Sounds like he's playing one against the other to get a better deal.
That sure worked out well for Mr. Foley. :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:
Could be worse. Could be Scott Flory.

Can't blame the guy. Although, I personally subscribe to the theory that the answer to any question that isn't yes is no.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Jarius Jackson ?
:thup: Although QB coach might be a better place to start.

Bring back Steff Kruck? LOL Not going to happen, although I would like it. Maybe Mike B has fond memories of Steff. That would be cool.

Danny McManus? Available?

I think Matt Dunigan is comfy in the booth. Travis Moore? Also too green, methinks.

Bellefeuille? Nah. Doug Berry? Nah.

More money for Jacques? Yeah. That's the ticket. LOL Plus Associate Head Coach status. Yeah.

Haven't thought too much about other candidates. I would not be surprised if Wally has some guys in mind.

Dan Dorazio? Dunno. Hard to say, since last time Kruck called the plays.

Yuh know, Jarious just might be able to handle it from the get go. He has been around football all his life. Has always conducted himself like a coach. I would be willing to give him a chance, if there is not a clearly better qualified, safer pick available. Plus Dorazio is right there to assist or co-coordinate again.

It is hard to know if Chap was always a brilliant OC waiting to be freed of the restrictions placed on him by a much too conservation Wally Buono discipline, or was he was just a colorless unimaginative one-trick pony, that recognize an epiphany when it came to crossing that Rubicon of multi-dimensional offensive design.

One thing is certain, when it came to change or die he was “all in”, that legendary game eight vs. the Eskimos in Edmonton, and seemingly he was able to change the spots of his previous nature, awarded the game ball by his appreciative offense.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/o ... story.html
This one game arguable was the turning point in our BC Lions destiny this 2011 season.

After the buy, and two convincing back-to-back victories over a doormat Argonaut team, our Leos found and new found confidence, a rebirth of a long overdue and potent offence, which member’s @Lionbackers.com had been clamoring, for over three years.

In my humble opinion Jacque Chapdelaine, like his successful fellow defensive co-odinator Mike Benevides, is ready to make that jump to head coach if ever the opportunity was open to him. He is tailored to fit the needs of a rudderless, Saskatchewan Roughrider at the head coach position, so I say to you Jacque “go for it”!

It is however more than likely that Marcel Bellefeuille will be the front runner for that particular vacancy but it is all the same to you, I’d rather Marcel, Dave Dickinson, Steff Kruck or Jarious Jackson as new OC, for a new era in the history of the BC Lions.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Chapdelaine is certainly not a colourless OC...I think that Chaps always had a complex, creative system...he struggled for the longest time with PLAYCALLING...calling the right plays at the right times...if you go back over his career, you will see that Chaps offences always seemingly start strong (first 2 series fully game planned) and then have few answers to the adjustments that defences make...that comes from some panic and nervousness that causes a person to tense up too much and not be able to fully think or reason...that's Chaps...he may not seem it on the sidelines, but he is too intense and too emotional...

So what was the key this year...what turned things around in Edmonton...I think it was 2 fold...one, he was pushed to the brink on his employment...it was win, or you are out...so I think in some regards that had a calming influence on Chaps, and he resigned himself to the potential outcome...and two, he committed to running the football...these two things turned his season around, and therefore ours...this is why, I would like to see Chaps stay, because I think this season, and the Edmonton game, was an epiphany to him, and allowed him to grow and mature as a Coach...

If Chaps does stay next year, I think our offence will challenge records for points scored and yards gained in a single season...as everyone now knows his system quite well, and he is becoming comfortable with himself and the players...

Albert Einstein
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Chapdelaine is certainly not a colourless OC...I think that Chaps always had a complex, creative system...he struggled for the longest time with PLAYCALLING...calling the right plays at the right times...if you go back over his career, you will see that Chaps offences always seemingly start strong (first 2 series fully game planned) and then have few answers to the adjustments that defences make...that comes from some panic and nervousness that causes a person to tense up too much and not be able to fully think or reason...that's Chaps...he may not seem it on the sidelines, but he is too intense and too emotional...

So what was the key this year...what turned things around in Edmonton...I think it was 2 fold...one, he was pushed to the brink on his employment...it was win, or you are out...so I think in some regards that had a calming influence on Chaps, and he resigned himself to the potential outcome...and two, he committed to running the football...these two things turned his season around, and therefore ours...this is why, I would like to see Chaps stay, because I think this season, and the Edmonton game, was an epiphany to him, and allowed him to grow and mature as a Coach...

If Chaps does stay next year, I think our offence will challenge records for points scored and yards gained in a single season...as everyone now knows his system quite well, and he is becoming comfortable with himself and the players...

Your point of view is both as refreshing as it is honest in its reflection, and where I wish to concur with your analysis of Jacque’s maturation, it is more demonstrative he progress as head coach, rather than the stagnation of continuing under Benevides, as his offensive coordinator.

Something inside of me tells me, it is indeed time for the next chapter in his career.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
pennw
Legend

I would like to see Chap stay on , as noted already , continuity would be the best thing for the team . Learning a new system under some one from outside would really set back the offense . We don't know how well some one else's system would work for Lulay and company , could be good or could be a disaster .
Some of those other OC's mentioned already got fired for a reason . Baresi had one of the most anemic offenses in the league with the Bombers , why would we want him ? Bellefuelle was run out of riderville a few years back for the same reason . Berry's been run out of a couple of places too .
Chap on the other hand showed last season to be the best OC in the league . What ever the difference was in 2011 , we can only speculate , but he had to have had the ability all along in order to pull off what he did . Best wishes to him should he move on , but I'm hoping he's back .
Some of the new young coaches would be a good to keep on , but too soon for an OC position . Travis Moore maybe could be mentored under Chap should Chap stay and be an OC in the future , like wise Jarious could be transitioned into a coach too , but not straight into an OC spot .