Congrats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

mightybuck
Legend

Well - its not the way all of us down here (in california and Bucks hometown) wanted it to end, but we are still proud of Buck and the no quit in him this season and the no quit in the team late in the 4th qt. I read a few posts on Lionbackers early in the year that basically "gauranteed he would not finish the season" - so glad he did.

But with that said, congrats to all of you and the success and championship of the BC Lions. You have had quite a year. From 0-5 start and reading about all the complaints, the "fire Wally and Chap" posts to the amazing finish and win streak. Of all the QBS in the league we are happy for Travis (if it wasnt going to be Buck) - Travis is a great guy and great talent.

The addition of Bruce made quite a difference to your offense in that it gave another huge weapon for Travis and even more top receivers to try and cover.

How special it had to be to actually win it all at home.

We watched the game on espn3 - BC place looked great with its new roof, great atmosphere.

Congrats again - it was more than well deserved.
Last edited by mightybuck on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
joe kapp22
Legend

Thanks!

What a team you have in Wpg, you guys fly to the football and never quit.

I thought the game was salted away...2 Td's in what...3 minutes?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks, MB. Both teams can be proud of the way they played this season. Buck never quits. He and Lulay have a lot of similar attributes, including big hearts and a willingness to sacrifice their bodies to make a play.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks...and let me tell you that you guys have a great team in the Peg...that is one tough and talented Defense...and I think over time your Offence will continue to gel and be more effective...

After watching the game, I think Montreal's run on top of the East has officially ended...and you guys will be tough to beat for a while...nice to be going into your own new stadium...

The future is very bright for the Bombers!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Big Time
Champion

Very classy, MightyBuck. If the Lions can't hoist the cup, I was cheering for Buck Pierce all the way. He showed the heart of a champion last night. Never quit, played to the last second and fell just a little short. He can hold his head up high for the whole season he's had. Winnipeg has a hell of a defense. They played the Lions a lot tighter than I expected. Bombers look like they are one or two players away from finally breaking that championship drought.

I'll always be a Buck Pierce fan. I saw nothing yesterday to think otherwise.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:Well - its not the way all of us down here (in california and Bucks hometown) wanted it to end, but we are still proud of Buck and the no quit in him this season and the no quit in the team late in the 4th qt. I read a few posts on Lionbackers early in the year that basically "gauranteed he would not finish the season" - so glad he did.

But with that said, congrats to all of you and the success and championship of the BC Lions. You have had quite a year. From 0-5 start and reading about all the complaints, the "fire Wally and Chap" posts to the amazing finish and win streak. Of all the QBS in the league we are happy for Travis (if it wasnt going to be Buck) - Travis is a great guy and great talent.

The addition of Bruce made quite a difference to your offense in that it gave another huge weapon for Travis and even more top receivers to try and cover.

How special it had to be to actually win it all at home.

We watched the game on espn3 - BC place looked great with its new roof, great atmosphere.

Congrats again - it was more than well deserved.
Thanks, mb.

Very gracious. Just like Buck, who is one of my all time favorite Lions. :thup:

Looks to me like the Bombers will be challenging for the Cup from the East for more years to come. Paul LaPolice, Tim Burke and Buck Pierce will see to that.

Buck and Travis are what the CFL is all about. Character guys all the way. I know Buck knows it, but do remind him that he has a great many fans still in B.C.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Classy move Mightybuck. Pierce has no reason to hang his head. He played his heart out. There are still alot of Buck Pierce fan in Vancouver. He received a very good ovation when he was introduced.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hey MB, we all want to see BP succeed, just not when the Lions number is up. Thanks for the shout out, much appreciated given the circumstances. Tell Buck that he wins the toughest CFL player by a country mile from my viewpoint.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

MB,

Great 4th Q and Buck did all he could to win it.

The Bombers will be better for this experience. The Lions came out so strong and so prepared on both O and D it didn't make it easy for the Bombers.

I hope the Bombers see that the Lions are the standard they need to reach.

I have said this before and Lulay says this all the time about his protection. When Travis Lulay goes back to pass he just has to think about finding a target. For Buck dropping back it can be an adventure with his protection. Lulay can't ignore the blindside but he can mostly rest assured he will have time.

I was disappointed with the Bomber play calling until later in the game. They needed to stretch the field a bit - wide and deep - they didn't and that closed down a lot of the runs and made Buck stay at home as the Lions never forgot about that - not once. They know Buck and they never let up closing off his runs.

Buck is the leader in the Peg and has no doubt found a long term team. I hope that the Bombers focus on strengthening their O line and pass protection to get Lulay time to pass.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Buck is the leader in the Peg and has no doubt found a long term team. I hope that the Bombers focus on strengthening their O line and pass protection to get Lulay time to pass.
You mean Pierce
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:
You mean Pierce
Badly worded but I meant to say that Buck needs the same time that Lulay is getting from his O Line and blockers to be successful and also to stay healthy.

I could change it to: I hope for Buck's sake and well being that the Bombers focus on strengthening their O line and pass protection to get him the same time Lulay gets when he drops back to pass.

There is no doubt in my mind that Lulay is MOP this year with a lot of credit due to the pass protection he has been getting which is unlike any Lion QB has enjoyed for some time now. Even with the new Chap offense, if Lulay wasn't getting the overall blocking he got from the line and others - he'd have been cheering AC as MOP this year and not AC clapping for him. That in no way is to detract from Lulay's performance but just to show the difference in the two situations. A lesser QB to Buck would not have played again this year after that Jamal Johnson hit from Buck's blindside. Lulay needs to take care as he does but he doesn't have to that issue so top of mind as does Buck who never knows what those guys in front of him will or won't do when picking up their man.
Hutch85
All Star

Big Time wrote:Very classy, MightyBuck. If the Lions can't hoist the cup, I was cheering for Buck Pierce all the way. He showed the heart of a champion last night.
Ditto for me.. if the Lions didn't win, I would have been happy for Buck. Glad to see him do well in Winnipeg, and help bring them to the GC.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

From the Winnipeg Free Press today... all I can say is that some fans just don't get it and neither do some football writers.

This question should not even be asked.
Should the Bombers sign Buck Pierce to a new contract because he is the team’s best chance to win the Grey Cup next year?
Yes
62% (1300 votes) results bar
No
38% (805 votes) results bar

Total Votes: 2105
------

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 79908.html

This headline is just plain stupid. What a stupid, moronic headline. This clown should be writing obits of people who haven't died yet as he has a real gift.

If this clown thinks it came down to the Bomber QB on the day he definitely lacks any understanding of the game.
QB wears the goat's horns
Leader Pierce and his offence simply didn't bring it
By: Adam Wazny

Posted: 11/28/2011 1:00 AM

As to why there was no run game the OLINE guy says it best. The Lions D was fully prepared for the Bombers and Buck's penchant for running. There were rare open receivers and little time for the QB.

While the article was about the QB, what about the dropped INT that was a certain TD and possible game changer. Lions scored instead.

Garrett offered a terse "no comment" after the game.

Brendon LaBatte was a little more thoughtful.

"I'm not sure where it went wrong," the offensive lineman said. "We weren't able to run the ball. We didn't give our defence any time on the sidelines and we had to settle for threes when we were in the red zone. (The Lions defence) does a good job mixing things up and bringing some pressure up front, but we needed to be better.
geroy_simon_081
Starter

Thank You.
I've always liked Buck ever since his days in BC. Buck is what I love and respect about football players. You can't question his heart, he gives 100% every single snap.
Big Time
Champion

Agreed, Geroy81, and throw in on top that Buck always seemed very humble and appreciative of the fans here. Even in the lead up to the GC game this year he could have bashed the team that cut him but he showed nothing but respect for Wally, the Lions and the Vancouver fans. Buck's departure was more of a mutual agreement that a change of scenery was in order. I think Wally wanted to give Buck a chance and so they parted on good terms.

As for the Winnipeg press, all they have to do is take a look at the Argos to see what it's like to have no QB. Who do they think is out there that is better than Buck? The Argos haven't had a truly great QB in nearly a decate (sorry but Damon Allen's inconsistency doesn't put him in the great category IMO).

The Bombers may have a few problems on offense but BP is far more a solution than a problem.