Lions vs. Riders Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Will the Lions be the team to extinguished the Riders' faint playoff hopes ? BC needs to win to keep pace with Edmonton for 1st place. Go Lions !
notahomer
Hall of Famer

On paper, I don't know if this game is worth watching. A team on a seven game winning streak playing a struggling team whose having to rely on a starting QB with a broken foot. If the struggling team wins (and then wins 3 more times) and another team loses every game it has left they make the playoffs. Doesn't even sound plausible, IMO.

But thankfully, games are not played on paper. Any Lions game is worth watching, IMO. I watch every Lions game to the final whistle, regardless if the Lions are being beaten like a drum or being the drummer for another team. I hope the Lions play like this game is as important as it is for the Riders. By game time, the Lions maybe the only team worried about any playoff implications. IIRC, the Lions do seem to play well at Mosiac so lets hope this is a good game. I personally would prefer to watch a close game ending in a Lions win. Then again, if the Lions are able to win big, do it early and get some of the guys needing game reps some time to get on the field.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Very intriguing game today... Will the Riders mail it in? Will the Lions be overconfident? Hopefully the combination of Calgary losing and Edmonton wining will be a good motivator for the Lions. A reminder that anyone can beat anyone, and they need to take care of business if they want to keep pace in their division. I doubt this team will win 11 straight to finish the season, and it might not be good for them to do so... but this is an important game to win because it will prove that the team is mentally focused.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote: I doubt this team will win 11 straight to finish the season, and it might not be good for them to do so... but this is an important game to win because it will prove that the team is mentally focused.
That's been my thought of late as well. Running the table in their final 4 games then winning the WF would mean an almost unheard of 12-game win streak going into the Grey Cup. As much as the tables have turned, there's going to be a letdown or bad breaks at some point. I'm hoping a 3-1 finish will be enough to win the West and it's looking more and more like one of those three wins will have to be against Edmonton on Oct. 29.

The Lions did show some chinks in their armour last week but still found a way to win. The offence was basically shutdown in the 2nd half, with the exception of one drive to start the 4th quarter and the huge play to Bruce on 3rd and 10 to set up the winning fg. The defence also wasn't as dominating. Hopefully that served noticed to throw some different wrinkles into today's game. Also another week of a discombobulated Riders offence that still features plenty of talent would certainly help too.
pennw
Legend

The reality is that BC's last two wins were much closer than the earlier ones . Hopefully the Riders are taken very seriuosly , and BC brings their A game . Look at what happened to the Stamps last game. Bet they thought they were going to beat the Argos easy too .
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looks like Montreal is going to hang on to beat Hamilton. So the Riders should be motivated this afternoon.
KILLER
Legend

Lions defense needs a good start. Getting lots of pressure will make the Riders wilt.
DEATH AWAITS YOU ALL WITH NASTY BIG POINTY TEETH!
KILLER
Legend

I want a sip of the fountain of youth water McCallum must be drinking. :good:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

McCallum on the money :thup:
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

What the hell are our receivers doing?? :bang: :bang:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Riders making too many 2nd & long conversions.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KILLER
Legend

Lions are giving the Riders receivers too much space.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions need to get going. They look sluggish so far this afternoon.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Larry Key wrote:What the hell are our receivers doing?? :bang: :bang:
Not much so far. Akeem Foster dropped a very catchable ball.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Ok that's 3 straight quarters the Lions offence has looked very ordinary. Had great field position to start the game and did nothing with it. And we too soft of coverage in the secondary.