Lions @ Eskimos -- Pre Game Odds and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Schmos favoured by 6.

Seems about right.

Will the Lions tank?

Too much pressure on Lulay with a dysfunctional offence. Drops. Fumbles. Penalties. Poor running game. Sieve in the middle of the line.

Will their natural athletic instincts overcome the funk they are in?

Fight or die? Will their survival instincts instincts kick in? Or will they give in?

Will we suit up 6 D Linemen? Or will fear make us suit up the extra coverage guy? Time to sit out a player who gets no reps on O or D and dress 6 D Linemen. IMO

The Schmos have a shuffled O Line. If we only dress 5 D Linemen we will not likely have enough energy to truly pressure Ricky Ray. IMO ...
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, the Shmoes Wr corps is decimated, our chances are better then normal.

I'd think we'd have to carry the extra DL simply because it makes more sense for them to feature a run heavy attack.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Watch Dobson Collins not drop a single pass now that he's with the smoes
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think Sol E. has another awesome game cleaning up missed tackles on the Esks backfield. Run the ball on these Lions, IMO.....
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:I think Sol E. has another awesome game cleaning up missed tackles on the Esks backfield. Run the ball on these Lions, IMO.....
Or catch and run on the Lions, either way it amounts to a very poor tackling defense in BC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Watch Dobson Collins not drop a single pass now that he's with the smoes
Now the Esks have signed Ryan Grice-Mullen. According to Dave Campbell of CHED, he's practising with the team today. These seem like desperation moves.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Watch Dobson Collins not drop a single pass now that he's with the smoes
Now the Esks have signed Ryan Grice-Mullen. According to Dave Campbell of CHED, he's practising with the team today. These seem like desperation moves.
Ray throws a nice soft long ball, I am sure that either of the two ex-Lion receivers could do much better in Edmonton land, plus the Lions D plays a soft zone, allowing them room to make a catch vs man to man which Dropsome always seemed to come up on the short end of the stick.
Entertainment value = an all time low
almo89
Legend

Angus Reid was just on the Team1040 and gave some insight on how Chapdelaine prepares for games. So all 3 quarterbacks provides a bunch of plays they want to see used early on. This could explain why the playcalling seems to be so much better early on. Angus Reid said he wants to see the team "stick to the gameplan" more. Seems like a shot at Chap to me. We've been seeing a pattern where Chapdelaine comes out and calls some good plays early on and then go back to the same ol same ol. Adjustments don't appear to be made as the Leos have only been able to score 1 point in the 3rd quarter for the past 5 games. That's just brutal.
pennw
Legend

I too am expecting Dobson Collins to become a good receiver now that he's moved on . If we lose this one we could still match last years record as long as we get in 7 wins after this one .
Anglophone
All Star

I thought all last year that Lulay looked better when he was improvising and calling his own plays. This explains a lot.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:Angus Reid was just on the Team1040 and gave some insight on how Chapdelaine prepares for games. So all 3 quarterbacks provides a bunch of plays they want to see used early on. This could explain why the playcalling seems to be so much better early on. Angus Reid said he wants to see the team "stick to the gameplan" more. Seems like a shot at Chap to me. We've been seeing a pattern where Chapdelaine comes out and calls some good plays early on and then go back to the same ol same ol. Adjustments don't appear to be made as the Leos have only been able to score 1 point in the 3rd quarter for the past 5 games. That's just brutal.
The Esks got off their game plan in their last two games and stopped using the tandem of backs and running that led to them to their early wins. Now in two losses the running game is gone and it's open season on Ricky Ray. If they don't get back to a balanced offense this week successfully - the Lions could stumble to a win and improve on last season's lousy start.

I am not sure there is a game plan with JC and BC but what I am sure of these coaches make no half time adjustments as evidenced by failing to score in the 3rd Q. Other thread says Reid said no adjustments at half. What he apparently also said is that they toss the game plan out early when it breaks down and into the second half they stay the course ( but I heard him say the game plan is gone so stay the course is not the game plan but Chapstick Ball).

Quite frankly with Chapdelaine I doubt there is a game plan other than the opening drives. We know the day before a game Ricky Ray said he'd see JC out on the field practicing his signals. Would time be better spent instead of thinking the game through and looking to find out his tactics break his opponent's tendencies?

Of course Chap still has to practice hand signals as he won't do like ALL other football coaches - just tell the QB the play and use the time to remind him to get that back picking up ODELL WILLIS. Instead he signals a play so that his entire offense and their entire defense, coaches and spotters can see what the Lions are planning.

Do you think the coaches and spotters for other teams aren't howling with laughter watching Chapdelaine give away his plays whirling, pirouetting and double Salchowing the whole game? While this guy is working on getting a triple lutz and more one-foot axels into his repertoire the team is losing. Could the team be losing as it takes them freaking 7or 8 games each year now to learn Chap's signals when they should learning more running, pass plays and run blocking and pass protection? We know the players council got Wally not to work the darlings too much in TC this year - and it is showing in W's and Ls.

And Wally supports this as it is purrfect JC who just has bad players who are not learning the teacher's lessons very well. If the student's haven't learned the teachers haven't taught.

At least the DC has an excuse for running around waving and strutting like a bantam rooster in heat in a henless chicken coop. He can't use wireless to call in his plays.

For me it is like these two coaches are in some sort of show competition to see who can out whirl, twirl and out signal the other guy while the true objectives of delivering fans a decent football product comes a distant second.

If this team is to win any more games it is entirely on the players and right now it looks like other than the players council guys the rest of the team has collectively dialed down their confidence levels and this impacts overall team play and success.

Lulay looked very rattled post game. Not sure I have seen him like that. Wally might be destroying his QB here with more of the same.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

According to Buono, Chapdelaine is one of the hardest working assistants. Often in the office at 3:30 AM. Too bad he hasn't learn how to work smarter. Maybe he's in the office secretly designing new hand signals.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:According to Buono, Chapdelaine is one of the hardest working assistants. Often in the office at 3:30 AM. Too bad he hasn't learn how to work smarter. Maybe he's in the office secretly designing new hand signals.
We know what Chap is doing in the office at 3:30 am. Did you forget this video he made of himself was put up on YOU TUBE after his lap top got stolen?

He's handing in his same old game plan and smoking Wally's cigars and pretending to be GM/HC.

JC must be a fan of Montana Tech football Coach Bob Green - at least it seems so when he is speaking. Maybe he's checking the vids out at 4 am.

Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bang on Toppy :wink: