Game Day Thread - Riders @ Lions 20110805

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Battle for third place in the West.

Or Battle to Avoid the Basement.

Is Greg Marshall the problem in Regina? On the coaches.

In BC the problem is execution. :wink: On the players.

Should be some intensity in the game.

Looking forward to it.
Anglophone
All Star

It's more of a battle to not be alone in the basement, at this point. Drag them down to our level, so to speak.
bc49
Hall of Famer

This game is the TSN Turning Point for the Lions season.
Lose this one and the rest of the season amounts to not much more than an early start to the 2012 training camp.
But to snag 2 pts and pull even with the Riders welllll then we might be able to battle for a playoff spot down the stretch.
I am not sure which scenario is better for the club long term.
We have seen what changes a 3rd place finish brings - and it's not much and the mediocre cycle continues.
Perhaps a 2-16 dog of a campaign is what is required to get Mr Braley's attention and serve up a house cleaning Eric Tillman style.
Bosco
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:

In BC the problem is execution. :wink: On the players.
Reporters to winless (0- 16) Tampa Bay Bucs coach John McKay in 1976: "Coach, what do you think of your teams' execution?"

McKay: "It would be a good start". :tease:
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, with the Argos Wheels coming off, this game becomes a Turning Point for us, a huge one really.

Revamped Defencive Backfield would be nice to see them make some plays and I'm quite happy Joe Henderson is active for this one as I thought he was our fastest Lb in 2010.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm really looking forward to this one at Tempire. Should be a beautiful night. The Lions bench will be lucky enough to squint into the sunlight until half-timish.

It really is 'shut up and win' time. Always ways but even more so now. I want to do one of those Jon Stewart Daily Show mashups showing Wally and his players quotes from this time last year and this current season. IIRC, most would not be able to tell which season the quote was made. All the right things being said, but the wrong result on the field. Even Wally is admitting he's tired of the excuses.

This is turning point for so many reasons. Durant has struggled and hopefully will continue to do so. Maybe 4 quarters of BC Lion defence will ba all he needs to get his season on track. Of course, I hope not. Lulay and his offence have also struggled and maybe 4 quarters of Rider defence will be the start of a confident success that turns into a win streak. Of course I hope YES!

I think the Lions do win. IMO, it will be a high scoring game with both defences struggling. I think our special teams is better ( :cr: ) so hopefully that is what pushes them into the win column. Hope everybody going to Tempire enjoys the game. Of course those not going to the stadium, hope you get to see/hear a great game on whatever electronic device gets you the game. :wink:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/VANSTO ... story.html
REGINA -- Saskatchewan Roughriders luminaries Darian Durant and Weston Dressler both expect tonight’s CFL clash with the B.C. Lions to be a “dogfight.’’

But the figurative canine combatants could be a chihuahua and a Yorkshire terrier, judging by the teams’ mutual lack of bite.
"a chihuahua vs a Yorkshire terrier" Hmmmmm
Let’s be honest. If Saskatchewan somehow succumbs to a winless team, what hope is there for the latest edition of the Roughriders?
Weeping and wailing and knashing of teeth in Regina. Worried about losing to a winless team. Hey, we are OK here. We are stable, at least with our coaching staff. Not so stable with our player roster. And we know the problem. It is execution.
But if the once-formidable Saskatchewan side cannot win tonight against an eminently beatable foe, those words may prove to be emptier than the Roughriders’ bandwagon.
"eminently beatable foe" Hey, ummmm. OK I guess we are eminently beatable.

Yeah, lots of humility going around when the Basement Bowl gets played.

If we win, we climb up to the exalted status of the Riders and the Argonauts. Whooo Hoooooooo
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pivotal game of the season. Lose and they're really behind the 8 ball. Training camp version 3 officially starts around 10:30 PM
zark
Champion

No one mentioned AB3. I hope he can take some pressure off Geroy. He should be good to go ...right? :beer:
Note to Defence...Arm tackles????...they don't work.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:No one mentioned AB3. I hope he can take some pressure off Geroy. He should be good to go ...right? :beer:
Note to Defence...Arm tackles????...they don't work.
Watching tonight by all accounts I have heard Zark

Maybe a good thing as he has hardly had time to learn Chaps playbook yet, all fifteen plays
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions looking into the sun. D'oh.

Wally checking the wind. LOL
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gore two catches already.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

What happened to the momentum?

There's the Lulay's red zone jitters showing up right on time
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dressler carries and pulls Phillips for 20yards. LOL
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Man, what a play by Sol E. Guy's a monster.