Messam refuses to reel in his game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Eskim ... story.html
Eskimos’ Messam refuses to reel in his game

By Chris O’Leary, Postmedia News July 31, 2011
Jerome Messam wanted to celebrate.

The Edmonton Eskimos running back had just blocked Toronto Argonauts linebacker Tristan Black on Friday night, doing his part off of the ball to help free up slotback Fred Stamps for what appeared to be a 20-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Ricky Ray.

The 32,478 fans at Commonwealth Stadium saw Stamps holding the ball in the end-zone and jumped to their feet in approval. Seeing his team further narrow the Toronto lead — the major would have made it 25-21, with a convert attempt to come — Messam looked down at Black and opened his mouth.

“I grew up with Tristan Black,” said Messam, who, like Black, is from Toronto. “So when I blocked him, I got up under him, put him on his back and stood over him and I was like, ‘What?’ And I guess the refs were watching me.”
Self indulgence. Lack of impulse control. Putting self gratification ahead of the team. These are reasons why Jerome Messam has almost always gotten into trouble.

Has he learned? Has he changed? See below.
Messam was flagged for a taunting call. On top of that, the touchdown play was ruled a no-catch because the officials said Stamps didn’t have possession of the ball when he hit the ground.
The penalty brought the Eskimos back 10 yards and saw kicker Damon Duval send a field goal through the uprights to make it a 25-19 game. Messam would put his stamp on the game in a more positive light before it was done, though.

In need of a first down with about five minutes left on the clock, the six-foot-three, 245-pounder bulled his way upfield for a 16-yard gain to put the Eskimos on Toronto’s 33-yard line. From there, Ray hit Stamps two more times — the second pass being the game-winning play.

The week prior in Calgary, Messam took an objectionable conduct penalty late in the game when the Eskimos were trying to hold off a late Stampeders rally. The 26-year-old felt like that call was a justified one.
“I was trying to protect Ricky and I was upset about the late (Calgary) hit and I was talking too much (trash),” he said, chuckling to himself.

Eskimos head coach Kavis Reed wasn’t upset with Messam on Friday night, saying that he felt Messam’s reputation has the eyes of officials and media alike fixed on him.
Chuckling to himself. No sound of regret there. He is in his own movie, as the hero.
Messam was traded from the B.C. Lions at the end of training camp this year to the Eskimos when his disruptive behaviour with the team wore thin on vets and head coach/general manager Wally Buono.

“The guy is an absolutely phenomenal talent,” Reed said of Messam after he ran for a team-high 54 yards on 12 carries in Friday’s 26-25 victory.

“He’s still growing in this game and he’s not making any more mistakes than anyone else is making. I think it’s just because it’s Jerome Messam that they’re highlighted.

“I’m correcting other guys just as much as I’m correcting Jerome. I understand that he’s going to make mistakes. He’s fallible, just like we all are.”
And this is why he keeps getting more chances. He is a talent. With an attitude.
As for Friday’s penalty flag, Messam said he’s learning that the league’s officials are watching him closely.

“I’m just a passionate guy, right? So when I’m out there on the field and it’s a tight game, we’re coming back, we’re driving, the adrenalin is going, emotions are going.

“I was just basically excited about the play. We scored. So I just stood over him and was like, ‘What?’ And the ref was just there. I got the block on him and I was excited. The ref said, ‘You’re taunting him.’ ”
Learning the officials are watching him closely. D'oh.

If he behaved himself, it would not matter if the officials were watching him closely.

He should be watched closely.

If he misbehaved and they were not watching him closely, would that make his misbehaviour OK? No.

Self indulgent, spoiled athlete. Lacks the discipline or interest in putting the team ahead of his own gratification. He will take any success he has and use it to allow and justify his own self indulgent behaviour.
Messam said he understood the balance between playing with intensity and going over the edge.

“I’m just going to do what I do,” he said. “When I’m out there on the field, you’ve got to have a competitive edge. If I tried to put a cap on it or take it away, I’d lose it. I’m going to keep that fire, that intensity.”
Understands the balance? But here comes the rationalization and the lack of intent to change.

"You've got to have a competitive edge." What he does has nothing to do with competitive edge. He does things that bring about losing.

"I'm just going to do what I do." Whatever assurances he gave to Tillman and Reed are just empty words. Same as he has done all his life. He is intelligent enough to say what he has to say to get his opportunity. I expect the Eskimos will not be too impressed with what he has said in this interview.

"I'm going to keep that fire, that intensity." In other words, he is going to keep Jerome Messam ahead of the team.

Good riddance. IMO he will eventually run out of chances with the Eskimos.
Blitz
Team Captain

Jerome Messam may run out of chances with the Eskimos. Even with the background of Leo vets wanting him off the team and Wally sending Messam home from training camp and trading him to the Eskimos for a fourth rounder, Messam has not displaed purrfect behavior with a couple of unnecessary penalties.

However, he is a tremendous talent who may mature. Right now he is giving Edmonton a signicant boost as a Canadian running back who is 245 pounds, can block, and get tough yards. We didn't use him in that capacity and that wasn't wise. Obviously our vets were not able to get him to behave properly here but only to run to Wally to get rid of him.

Hard to know what will happen to Messam long term but it seems like he is at least in an environment in Edmonton that will give him the best chance of success. How that turns out is still a question mark but Messam was in the situation here in B.C. that gave him the best chance of success. Sitting a 245 pound Candian running back on the bench, when we could have used him to pick up tough yards in short yardage, which we have trouble doing, was not wise. It will be interesting to see how things turn out in Edmonton.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

True on Messam's self indulgent attitude, however as I see it currently, he needs to make 9 games for the Esks in order for the Lions to move up from a 5th round selection to a 3rd rounder. After that I don't care about his indiscretions, but as I see it currently, he is on a 5 - 0 team and contributing more than he is detracting.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I for one, hope that Messam does really well in Edmonton. Not really to show the Lions that it was a mistake to let him go, but it was a big mistake by the Lions to not utilize Messam when he was here. Looks like they are also not utilizing Lee, but at least Harris is getting some touches and doing well.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Just a matter of time before the Esks brass get fed up with his on field tactics and move him along despite his apparent talents.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Some of the stats have looked good. BUT, he has gotten those DUMB penalties every game I have watched. Reed will give him rope but eventually you gotta figure thats it.....
Oiler
Rookie

If anybody can straighten Messam up it's Kavis Reed. If not then he will be benched. I expect a bit of sour grapes from Lion fans who would like to pounce on any mistakes he makes. So far his postives far outweigh his negatives so it was a good trade for the Esks.
Rammer
Team Captain

Oiler wrote:If anybody can straighten Messam up it's Kavis Reed. If not then he will be benched. I expect a bit of sour grapes from Lion fans who would like to pounce on any mistakes he makes. So far his postives far outweigh his negatives so it was a good trade for the Esks.
From my perspective the 'sour grapes' aspect comes from Wally not getting him to act like a professional last season, then having to basically give him away to the Esks. If Reed is the man to tone down Messam's act, then it was a steal of a deal for the Esks, and just another piont of Wally not getting on page with his personnel.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Oiler wrote:If anybody can straighten Messam up it's Kavis Reed. If not then he will be benched. I expect a bit of sour grapes from Lion fans who would like to pounce on any mistakes he makes. So far his postives far outweigh his negatives so it was a good trade for the Esks.
From my perspective the 'sour grapes' aspect comes from Wally not getting him to act like a professional last season, then having to basically give him away to the Esks. If Reed is the man to tone down Messam's act, then it was a steal of a deal for the Esks, and just another piont of Wally not getting on page with his personnel.
Rammer is right. The time for Wally to have set the tone in BC was when he first heard of Messam's bar room brawl and how of course he was an innocent as snow (until found guilty for his role in a court of competent jurisdiction!).

Then Wally excused the fight in the locker room (this is the players place) with shocking and bizarre justifications that make you wonder today how the Lions can be a model for non-violence in the homes.

Wally neither set down the ground rules it seems and the rest is history.

Messam is also in a team situation where they do emphasize the run and they run a balanced attack so that makes it far easier for a RB to have success than with the Lions. As long as he is doing fine and they win the odd flag won't get him cut. But Reed rips his guys in the moment for all to see and he doesn't tolerate a lot flags and neither will his GM ET tolerate a lot of crap from a player. I suspect that this last flag for taunting is being put on the referees for watching him too closely and no doubt other players confirm what he did as not being bad. Sheesh CFL players taunt the whole game! Espec. def. players.

Messam doesn't much sound as if he understands fully accountability so he needs to show some care here as his GM and HC will not lose games due to players taking stupid penalties.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy