Depth Chart vs the Eskimos - 20111120 WDF

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions again have 8 non-import starters, counting Iannuzzi and Lumbala as one position since they're not usually on the field together. That allows for 4 import backups: Brown, Johnson, Dennis and Bighill. Ruffin gets a game cheque for being on the 46-man roster but he can't dress unless one of the other backups sits.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions again have 8 non-import starters, counting Iannuzzi and Lumbala as one position since they're not usually on the field together. That allows for 4 import backups: Brown, Johnson, Dennis and Bighill. Ruffin gets a game cheque for being on the 46-man roster but he can't dress unless one of the other backups sits.
Very nice. Thanks to our newfound NI receiver depth we once again have strong ratio flexibility. :thup:

After failing kind of miserably in our efforts to draft even one quality NI receiver (after Paris Jackson) we have hit the jackpot with 3, assuming Iannuzzi fulfills his promise, which I expect he will.
Blitz
Team Captain

We'll likely see Johnson on offence in certain packages as well as the possibility of him being on punt returns.

I doubt Robertson will be on the game day active roster.

I'm still hoping that Muamba will get the start at safety. Not surprised that we are not changing the offensive line at this point in time although I like Hamester-Rees. Also not surprised that Jesse Newman is starting to play very well as he continues to get to start. I thought we should have started Newman last season. Newman didn't play that well to start the season but lately he's showing why he was a rookie starter on the Stamps Grey Cup team.

I really like our starting roster right now. It looks like almost all of the pieces are in place. We have speed in the backfield in Harris and Brown and both can drive for extra yards. We've started to use Luamba in short yardage. We have the two best offensive tackles in the league in Archibald and Olifoye and we've seen a lot of improvement in the interior of our offensive line lately. We have a combination of experience (Simon, Bruce, Jackson) and young talent at receiver (Gore, Foster, Iannuzzi, Johnson) and tons of speed there.

Defensively, still the key reason for our turnaround, Mitchell and Hunt at tackle have been impressive since we went 4-3. We still lack that great pass rusher but Williams and Smith have been solid. At linebacker, we all know how good Eliminian is but its been the improved play of MacKenzie, who is having the kind of season we've always needed out of him and Reddick has not got a lot of attention but he's been impressive at nickel back.

What I love right now is our defensive secondary. Experience is so important there, if the defensive backs still have the ability and ours do. Marsh, Banks, Kournegay and Phillips are a quality smart defensive backfield and Reddick and Dennis give us excellent depth.

With McCallum kicking and punting this is an impressive, talented Leos lineup. We never should have been 0-5 or close to it. Now playing within good schemes our talent is finally showing its true self.

Finally, for inspiration, heart, and soul we have Korey Banks. Almost ended his career playing so hard, the only way he knows how to. He was the player who would not accept losing when we were losing early in the season. He would not make excuses. He never sugar coated anything. He's our Most Valuable Player and more than any other personell moves, even more than the addition of Arland Bruce, his move back to shortside halfback, got things turned around for our defense and our defense led us out of the black hole.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I don't see any changes for this game at a glance with the new depth chart ...

Changes on the 46 since the start of the year ...

Harris at RB. Iannuzzi at WR. Newman at left guard. Arland Bruce at SB. Cronk backup FB and STs. Johnson backup receiver.

Banks at WHB. Kornegay at SHB. Phillips at SCB. Reddick at Nickel. Bighill at depth LB. Mitchell starting at NT. Hunt at DT. Smith at WE. Ruffin and Dennis backup DBs.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth Chart vs the Riders.

No change observed on offence.

On defence, scratch Henderson off the roster and depth chart. Add Kamara.

Discussion of MLB. Yurichuk did get reps at MLB this week. And there was talk of McKenzie playing in the middle. We will see.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Riders' depth chart ...

Still looks like a talented team. Motivation? Attitude? Leadership?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The only change in the Lions' projected starters this week is the insertion of Eric Taylor for Khalif Mitchell at NT. I had also read Paris Jackson will play ahead of Shawn Gore. The only roster move is the addition of Jock Sanders for the injured Tim Brown.

Lions' depth chart
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BCFAN, I also see that Kierie Johnson is not on the 46 list. I would expect Sanders to play some backup receiver.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jimenez still on the 46, but not expected to suit up, methinks.

Matt Kirk starting. Markeith Knowlton starting.

Matt Carter not on the 46.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:BCFAN, I also see that Kierie Johnson is not on the 46 list. I would expect Sanders to play some backup receiver.
The posted 46-man roster is actually a 45-man roster. I hope this is just a web posting error and not the type of clerical error that forced Paul McCallum to miss a game last year. I know Johnson flew to Hamilton with the team and planned on playing.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:BCFAN, I also see that Kierie Johnson is not on the 46 list. I would expect Sanders to play some backup receiver.
The posted 46-man roster is actually a 45-man roster. I hope this is just a web posting error and not the type of clerical error that forced Paul McCallum to miss a game last year. I know Johnson flew to Hamilton with the team and planned on playing.
Kierrie Johnson is back on the depth chart, which now has 46 players. He's listed as a backup to Simon.
Updated depth chart
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Kierrie Johnson is back on the depth chart, which now has 46 players. He's listed as a backup to Simon.
Updated depth chart
BCFAN, do you suppose Neil McAvoy reads Lionbackers? Ha ha

I won't bother to do a new screen shot. Feeling lazy. :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:BCFAN, do you suppose Neil McAvoy reads Lionbackers? Ha ha

I won't bother to do a new screen shot. Feeling lazy. :wink:
I learned long ago to always count. That's the second time this year a posted depth chart has had only 45 players. On the field, officials are good at catching teams with too many players but it's amazing how many times a team will line up with only 11 players on the field, especially on special teams.
Rodu
Champion

Why are they switching Mitchel and Taylor?
David
Team Captain

Rodu wrote:Why are they switching Mitchel and Taylor?
Mitchell suffered a charley horse in warm-ups last week but played through it (which makes sense because I didn't think our pass rush was all that good last week, save Keron Williams who's been a beast lately). Eric Taylor was having a good season until he got hurt - he's a great run stopper in the middle - which works well because Hamilton is going to try to run on us in Solly's absence.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar