Depth Chart vs the Eskimos - 20111120 WDF

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Anglophone
All Star

JohnHenry wrote:I guess Smith must be doing something good to stay in the lineup.
Not necessarily. Some interesting personnell decisions have been made in recent years that have nothing to do with skill.
David
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Well, so much for Hameister-Reis being back at guard or J. Lee starting at tailback as the scribes had suggested.

Nice to see Taylor back, but hopefully they will still dress K. Mitchell as a much needed backup. Kalif was getting some good push up the middle. Another option would be to move Hunt to DE (replacing K. Smith) and starting both Mitchell and Taylor...but I guess Smith must be doing something good to stay in the lineup.
The only reports I have ever read on Hameister-Ries is that they're targeting next week's game for his return. I have not read any report indicating that he would be ready this early.

As for Smith, yes, he has been effective IMO, but a lot has to do with the push Hunt and Mitchell have been getting and the pressure Williams has been putting on QBs for the past 4 weeks.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Anglophone
All Star

H-Reis seemed to be fine in practice the other day. For such a big guy, he sure can jump!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth Chart for September 10, 2011.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bighill is in for Henderson. He had 4 special teams tackles against Hamilton, a team season high equalled by Lumbala last week.

The receiving corps gets another week of continuity. Nick Moore has anther chance to show something before Johnson comes back.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Bighill is in for Henderson. He had 4 special teams tackles against Hamilton, a team season high equalled by Lumbala last week.

The receiving corps gets another week of continuity. Nick Moore has anther chance to show something before Johnson comes back.
I hope we throw to Moore this game but we have a lot of weapons at receiver right now. Interesting that Buono this week said, that in colder weather games this fall, he might drop the fifth import receiver postion to start Robertson, who is built for those type of games.

I still believe starting Paris Jackson, with Innanuzi also getting reps at that position, would strengthen our team overall. I would use the import at safety but hopefully Muamba's play would be good enough to negate that move.

Still hopefull that we give Henley a start in the future. Also looking forward to Hamesiter-Rees returnign to the lineup in the future.

Bighill will be in for Henderson, so it looks like we are anticipating rotating him into the game, likely on first downs at times, expercting to see a lot of Boyd in the running game for the Argos.

What I like about our team right now is that we have a lof of speed at receiver and running back, toughness in the interior of our defensive line, speed at linebacker with Eliminian, and an experienced, skilled defensive secondary at the halfback and corner positions.

I still believe we have the most talent in the CFL right now. Hopefully we'll have a game plan that gives our talent the best opportunities to make plays.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Saturday's game ...

I see Muamba at the top of the depth chart. Apparently LaRose got some first reps at practice.

Tim Cronk kind of came out of nowhere to get some playing time this year. I liked him as a draft in his year. Then he kind of disappeared. Big strong fullback. Like Lumbala, not really a running back. Blocker. STs guy.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Again no Jon H-R?

I saw him 3 weeks ago at practice, seemed like he was only a day or 2 away. Any ideas when? Getting a little tired of seeing Jesse Newman owned all the time.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Again no Jon H-R?

I saw him 3 weeks ago at practice, seemed like he was only a day or 2 away. Any ideas when? Getting a little tired of seeing Jesse Newman owned all the time.
If it ain't broke . . .

Sacks are down (the Lions didn't give up any last week) and rushing yardage is way up. Consistency is important for the O-line. Gary Kingston had a good article on the topic the other day, quoting Wally, Valli and Reid. Some excerpts:
They played, really, as maybe a complete a game as they have all year,” said Buono. “Against Toronto, who has a good front six as anybody, both running the football we were solid, protection we were solid. But you watch practice, you can see them getting physically better. They’re more forceful ... a lot more aggressive.”
"Chemistry takes time and we’ve been switching guys up for almost two years now,” said Valli. “Once that chemistry starts to develop, the confidence comes.”
Reid, the 35-year-old veteran of the group, says “individually we’ve stepped our games up, but the time together has shown that we’re becoming a pretty well-oiled group here that I think is a pretty good offensive line. Our running game has got better (now up to 5.6 yards a rush), our sack totals seem to be going down in every game. We still need to get better as an offence in the red zone, but up front we are playing better.”
Offensive line keeps Lions' Lulay safe and sound
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Again no Jon H-R?

If it ain't broke . . .

Sacks are down (the Lions didn't give up any last week) and rushing yardage is way up. Consistency is important for the O-line. Gary Kingston had a good article on the topic the other day, quoting Wally, Valli and Reid. Some excerpts:
They played, really, as maybe a complete a game as they have all year,” said Buono. “Against Toronto, who has a good front six as anybody, both running the football we were solid, protection we were solid. But you watch practice, you can see them getting physically better. They’re more forceful ... a lot more aggressive.”
"Chemistry takes time and we’ve been switching guys up for almost two years now,” said Valli. “Once that chemistry starts to develop, the confidence comes.”
Reid, the 35-year-old veteran of the group, says “individually we’ve stepped our games up, but the time together has shown that we’re becoming a pretty well-oiled group here that I think is a pretty good offensive line. Our running game has got better (now up to 5.6 yards a rush), our sack totals seem to be going down in every game. We still need to get better as an offence in the red zone, but up front we are playing better.”
Offensive line keeps Lions' Lulay safe and sound
I will believe it when they are able to contain the top DL's in the league, seeing is believing.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Valli says there’s been a few changes in protection schemes. Offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine is incorporating a few more rollouts.
What? They changed schemes? Nooooooooo ... Really, it must have been that the players just executed better. :wink: LOL

Rollouts? I am shocked. Bahhhhh ... They should just run vanilla stuff, and pound the opposition. Changing schemes is a sissy way to play football. :wink:

Ah well, as long as they have finally started to adapt, I will have fewer complaints or criticisms. And they are very fun to watch right now. :thup:

Looking forward to the big test today.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Offe ... z1YF13oMiM
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth chart posted tomorrow

Here is the present roster, including "injured" lists. Utilizing the available rules, most teams seem to have around 60 players on the various lists.

Recent additions ...

Arland Bruce

Tad Kornegay

Jerome Dennis

J.R. Ruffin

Tim Cronk

Kyle Burkhart

Nuvraj Bassi
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Iannuzzi starting, backed up by Paris Jackson.

Moore off the 46.

I believe LaRose starts at safety although from the 46, it looks like Muamba, whom I would actually prefer.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I see one change ... Kierie Johnson backing up Geroy Simon.

Little guy like that. Not starting. You don't suppose the Eskimos will miss him on the field, do you? Ha ha ... I hope so.

And I hope he catches the ball. He can sky. He can fly. Now he has to make the transition to pro football.

Names are always interesting. Our D Line sounds like a Washington, D.C. law firm.

Hunt, Williams, Smith, Mitchell, Johnson and Taylor. :wink:

Nick Name? B.C. Law. The Law Firm? ...

Anthony Reddick has been solid at the hybrid LB spot. Hard hitter. Can cover. Can blitz. Can do.