Canucks 2011 Playoff Run

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Vancouver Canucks vs. (5) Nashville PredatorsWednesday, 04.27.2011 / 2:22 AM / Canucks v Predators - 2011

Seeds: No. 5 vs. No. 1: Predators beat Anaheim in six games; Canucks beat Chicago in seven

Having finally beaten the team that nearly made them the third consecutive Presidents’ Trophy winner to lose in the first round, the Vancouver Canucks will have to regroup quickly to avoid a second-round loss to Nashville. The Predators are in the Western Conference Semifinals for the first time after beating Anaheim in six games for the first series victory in franchise history.

Right here, right now: The teams divided the four-game season series, with each winning once at home and once on the road. The last meeting came on March 29, when Vancouver went into Nashville and left with a 3-1 victory to complete a purrfect road trip. Vancouver is 15-8-1-1 all-time against the Predators at home and 14-10-1-0 in Nashville. The teams have never met in the playoffs.

Coulda Woulda: Nashville closed out Anaheim in the first round on Sunday for their first series victory in franchise history, then had to wait to see who it would play in the second round. Vancouver looked like it would breeze through the opening round against Chicago, winning the first three games – but lost the next three and had to go to overtime in Game 7 on Tuesday night to beat the Blackhawks 2-1 on a goal by Alexandre Burrows.

How important to win first game: The Predators will head for the Pacific Northwest with the hope of getting the jump on a Vancouver team still enjoying its Game 7 victory against Chicago – a win that helped atone for playoff losses in each of the last two years. Nashville had its own celebration on Sunday after ending its 0-5 playoff drought, but has had a few days to get the euphoria out of its system.

The Great Unknown: Both teams have elite goaltenders coming off series victories in which they didn’t always play well. Nashville’s Pekka Rinne had a 3.29 goals-against average against Anaheim, more than a goal a game higher than his regular-season GAA. Roberto Luongo was one of the heroes of Vancouver’s Game 7 win against Chicago, but he was yanked in Games 4 and 5, then was benched in Game 6 only to take the loss after replacing injured starter Cory Schneider in the third period.

Finish line: Both teams are coming into the series off emotional victories. Nashville is in the second round for the first time; Vancouver finally got past Chicago, the team that ended its season in each of the last two seasons and nearly did it again. The Canucks were the NHL’s best team in the regular season, and what often happens to superior teams that avoid getting tripped up in the first round is that their talent begins to dominate. If both teams play to their talent level, the Canucks have the edge because they have more talent.
"The Canucks were the NHL’s best team in the regular season, and what often happens to superior teams that avoid getting tripped up in the first round is that their talent begins to dominate. If both teams play to their talent level, the Canucks have the edge because they have more talent."

I hope it plays out that way.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=561151
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

WE'RE GONNA KICK THEIR BUTTS.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

1greatmysticbushape wrote:WE'RE GONNA KICK THEIR BUTTS.
uh huh
1greatmysticbushape wrote: stick a fork in'em - they're done! Canucks Sweep Baby.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

1greatmysticbushape wrote:WE'RE GONNA KICK THEIR BUTTS.
LOL

Yuh. Just like we kicked the butts of the Blackhawks. I'm glad Sharp did not take the time to shoot for a corner, and I'm glad that Luongo anticipated the well-known play so well.

I will take a 7 game series victory for the Canucks. Canucks win in 6 would be cool. The Predators will be annoying, but I cannot see how they can be more of a challenge, or as much of a challenge as the despised Blackhawks.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

for me watching the Canucks celebrate the OT winner was funny. They acted like they'd won a Stanley Cup. I think for them that was how big beating the Blackhawks was. They have a long way to go,so I hope they learned enough in their first series. I liked what I saw in game 6 so I wasn't as worried as many in my circle as to how they'd show up in game 7 versus Hawks. Too close though. I say Nucks in 6 versus Preds.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

Hope blooms eternal.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Expected, but congratulations to Daniel Sedin and Ryan Kesler for their respective award nominations. :thup: Congrats also to Burrows not only for his game-winning OT goal, but also the birth of his first child. :good:

Predictions for round 2? Canucks in 5?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
zark
Champion

I saw the first game, and couldn't help but gag. 1 goal. But then they improved so much by getting 1 goal. Is it the call of Sweden, that says
"you made enough money, come back home. This Stanley Cup thing is not important."
I'm Verry disapointed.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:I saw the first game, and couldn't help but gag. 1 goal. But then they improved so much by getting 1 goal. Is it the call of Sweden, that says
"you made enough money, come back home. This Stanley Cup thing is not important."
I'm Verry disapointed.
with 2 vezina candidates, why would you not expect low scoring

OTOH, I find it boring to watch because the Canucks have the most boring dull uniforms since the hartford whalers.

The 94 canucks team was a lot more exciting to watch. Was it the uniforms, or was it the players?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Has anybody seen the Sedins?

Oh for some of that playoff-tough Canadian leadership, such as Yzerman, or Toews, or even Shea Weber. I can't help but think that is a missing ingredient on our team. Not to fault our guys, as such leadership is rare. IMO teams tend to go as their leaders go. For leaders, read "best players."

We ain't dead, but it don't look good. We are making Nashville look like they should have competed for the President's trophy. We are making Rinne look like the best goalie in hockey. OK, he may well be that. But teams found ways to beat Nashville many, many times in the regular season. I cannot believe that Nashville goes to the final. Is their system that much better than everyone else's, to make up for their "ordinary" talent? Aside from Rinne, Weber and Suter, they should not match up all that well with perhaps 8 or so higher ranked teams.

If the Sedins do not find a way to score as they did in the regular season, I have to think our chances are not good. Is it possible that their style just does not translate well in the playoffs? Is it possible that teams can crank it up in the playoffs to an extent they cannot sustain in the regular season to nullify the Sedins' skill?

I ain't giving up. This is perhaps the best shot we have ever had to win the whole thing. 1994 was dayum close too. 1982 was perhaps more of a hope. But it does not look all that good right now, in terms of how we are playing.

IMO ...
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

get serious - we'll blow them away.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The last few Canuck games have been exciting (IMO) in spite of the low scores. Just like football, I don't mind watching defensive type games. I'm not sure a 1-0 game (or 2-1 etc...) translates well in the regular season but I certainly find those types of games entertaining in the playoffs. Yes, I feel the Sedins have seemed a bit weak at times. I'm going to enjoy this series regardless of the outcome. I just haven't seen a lot of the things I found frustrating in the previous playoff elimination series versus the 'Hawks. I personally would like to see more of Hodgson. Let him get out there and get the experience. Oh well, hope its an entertaining game tonight.....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Piece of cake, right? LOL

OMG

Playing hard.

Playing smart? Dunno ... Lots of brain farts it seems like.

Luongo is playing very well. Unfortunately Rinne looks like some kind of evolutionary freak, the future of goaltending.

Anybody seen the Sedins? Oh, Daniel had 6 shots. Cool. Even got an assist. Cool. Minus 2 though. Same as Hank. Both minus 2.

Edler big brain fart. Twice. Losing the puck. Not checking his man.

Waddayagonna do? It ain't easy to win the Stanley Cup. We're alive and almost well. This would be neat if we started to play very well, in terms of maximizing our results. This game almost slipped away after greatly outshooting the Predators.

Ryan Kesler. :thup: Chris Higgins :thup: Roberto Luongo :thup:

Good resolve in the end. Hung in when it might have been tempting to pack it in after the hardship of another late goal given up. Perhaps we can ride Kesler for a while. He is our horse.

Is the glass half empty or half full? I would say it is perhaps 70% full in terms of how we are playing. Lots of effort. Lots of brain farts. Some key guys missing in action. Can't complain about having a 2-1 series lead, despite mixed play. The pressure of the playoffs must be crazy on the players. I could not say we have been playing lights out, playing our best.

Just IMO ...
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

ya gotta be impressed with Nashville. they are impressing me but so are the Canucks. you better have some grit to win these games.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't think Nashville is all that impressive, just their goalie. If it weren't for him, chances are very good that we would be comfortably up 3-0 in this series. Aside from part of game 2, the Preds as a team have been thoroughly outplayed and it is only because of goal tending that they have been in it. Even many of their goals have had a horseshoe factor, deflections or fortuitous bounces. The effort from them is their but pound for pound talent wise, they are over matched. Can you imagine if we had their goaltender?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.